For any aspiring athlete, it is very crucial that they know the basics first and then move on to the next level. Boxing is one such sport where you need to practice the basics to improve your mobility, footwork, reflexes, body coordination, and so much more. To help you master the basics, you need the best free standing punching bag. Additionally, a few minutes of free standing punching bag workout is considered as a great way to get your cardio done.
For athletes who like to workout at home during their free time and think that buying a hanging punching bag is a luxury, this is where you can put your money. Here is a list of the 12 best free standing punching bags that can be used at home or in your gym.
Top 12 Free Standing Punching Bags For Your Home Workouts
Wavemaster is the OG of free standing punching bags. It has proven to be the perfect training tool to improve punches, kicks, and strikes. It is made from high-density foam and has a rounded base that can be filled with water or sand. It offers a good area of striking surface to make sure you land all your punches and kicks. This punching bag is a great addition to your workout equipment.
- It offers an ideal amount of resistance and rapid rebound capabilities.
- The base does not need to be permanently fixed in a place, it can be easily transported to any room.
- It has 7 height-adjustment settings that range between 47-68 inches.
- Might not be suitable for adults.
You do not require fancy equipment for your cardio workout. One of the best ways to stay in shape is boxing. Bring home this all-in-one boxing set and achieve your fitness goal. It has an inflatable punching ball that can be attached to the stand. The high-quality punching bag can withstand heavy punches. The base needs to be filled with sand or water to keep it stable. If you are a beginner, then this is where you could start.
- It is extremely easy to set up.
- The set also includes padded gloves with a re-closable strap.
- You can adjust the height of the stand between 48-58 inches.
- It might not be ideal for intense workouts.
Given the current situation of a global-wide pandemic, it is going to take a few months for the gyms to reopen and work like before. But that should not stop you from keeping fit. With the help of Powercore Free Standing Heavy Bag, you can give your body the workout it needs. The bag has a rounded design which helps you improve your mobility and target very effectively by moving around it in a circular motion.
- It has Powercore power transfer rings that will absorb all impact and reduce the base from moving or sliding.
- The base can be filled with water or sand.
- The height of the stand can be adjusted between 54-65 inches.
- The base might leak when filled with water.
We understand that kids are hyperactive and keeping them under control can be very difficult. The easiest way to let them burn their energy is through physical activities. This kid’s free standing punching bag from QIQU will not only keep them busy but healthy too. It is made from high-quality, leak-proof PVC material with a smooth rebound surface. The upper surface needs to be inflated with a pump and the base can be filled with water or sand.
- It can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- The bag is large in diameter, providing kids with enough surface to practice on.
- It helps kids stay active, improve their hand-eye coordination, agility, speed, and strength.
- It is ideal for all kinds of martial arts exercises.
- The bag might deflate quickly.
This amazing product from Century can not only be used for boxing but it can also be used for aerobic conditioning, endurance, speed, and technique training. It uses a durable vinyl shell that can endure most of your heavy punches. It utilizes a natural rebounding feature that helps in reducing the rebound intensity on heavy strikes or kicks. Be it low or high strikes, front or round kicks, you can perform them all with this bag.
- It has handles on the top and bottom for various workout strategies.
- No additional setup or installation required; it has a pre-filled sand base.
- It can be used for both stand-up and ground training.
- The striking surface is 3 times larger than that of standard bags.
- It might be easy to knock over the bag.
When it comes to boxing practice, it might be difficult to replace an actual human opponent. But how about a punching bag that mimics the movements of an actual person? This Fitness Reflex Bag is the perfect equipment for amateurs and boxing enthusiasts. From your basic cardio to intense boxing sessions, this punching bag can take it all. You can improve your accuracy, timing, and targeting from the comfort of your home.
- It is made from synthetic leather which is very easy to clean.
- Adjustable height between 49-69 inches.
- The base can be filled with 125 pounds of water and 250 pounds of sand.
- The base might leak water over time.
Confession time! We just can not get enough of Century and honestly, they make some of the best boxing equipment. The vinyl on this bag covers twice the density of the original Wavemaster for extended durability. Be it karate, taekwondo, or kickboxing, you will have Century Wavemaster Powerline at your disposal. From simple target practicing to high-intensity workouts, throw your best punches at it.
- You can fill the base with sand or water.
- It has eight height adjustment settings ranging from 47-68 inches.
- You get to choose from three different colors— red, blue, and green.
- The base might slide during high-intensity workouts.
If you are looking for an MMA free standing reflex bag, then look no further. This cobra style bag is made to withstand all your kickboxing, Muay Thai drills, MMA drills, and boxing drills. It stands tall using a steel rod construction that has a high-grade PU bag with inner bladder design. Not only that, you can adjust the reflex speed and range. It has an advanced model that includes two distinctly sized bags for different tension settings. The spring has passed the 12,000 times bending test for your peace of mind.
- Easy-to-setup kit
- The core weight bag can also be used as a workout bag.
- The height can be adjusted anywhere between 52-65 inches.
- The kit includes hand wrap gel gloves, two kinds of punching bags, and a bag pump.
- You can add some weighted plates for additional stability.
- It has a heavy-duty base that can be filled with water or sand.
- The base might not be heavy enough even after filling it.
Not every home or gym can accommodate a hanging heavy bag. To solve your need for a high-intensity workout, Ringside’s Elite Free standing Boxing Punching Heavy Bag is what you need in your gym. It uses a synthetic leather shell filled with shock-absorbing foam and has a removable foam collar that helps you control the movement speed of the spring. It is a heavy-duty bag that can take some serious hit without falling over.
- It stands at 6 foot 4 inches for a great strength building aerobic fitness workout.
- It has a base pad to protect your leg during kicking sessions.
- The base can hold up to 270 pounds of water or sand.
- It has a small hole to fill water or sand which can be quite the hassle.
Everlast has existed in the boxing industry since 1910 and is one of the most trusted brands for boxing equipment. For the last century, they have been leading the industry with their innovative and superior-quality products. This free standing bag has the perfect balance of power and protection. It is made from durable and high-quality materials to match your workout intensity and versatility.
- It is ideal for all your kicks, elbow, and knee strikes.
- The base can be filled with water and sand for stability (or both if you are feeling a little adventurous).
- The height can be adjusted as per requirement.
- The cushioning might be a bit hard.
Unlike their other free standing punching bag, Ringside made this free standing bag smaller but a faster version. It provides a balance of resistance and shock absorption for your best experience. It has a large striking surface that helps in performing a variety of workouts. When completely assembled, this heavy bag is 68 inches tall. It is considered as one of the best free standing heavy bags in the market.
- You can fill up to 140 pounds of water or sand.
- It offers a human-opponent feel quite effectively.
- The bag is filled with solid foam covered with a durable vinyl shell.
- The base might leak water during high intensity workouts.
Hanging bags do not provide the flexibility to perform various workout formats. This free standing bag was designed for kicking and punching without having to hang it. It stands at 77 inches with a striking surface of 65 inches. This large striking surface is perfect for all your kicking, punching, and mixed martial art workouts. Bag and collar are both covered in fabric and are wrapped with nylon canvas and open cell padding.
- It has a removable collar that can be used to control the pivoting of the bag.
- You can fill the base up to 280 pounds of water or sand.
- It has 3 height settings to suit people of all sizes.
- The setup might slide during intense workouts.
There you have it, a list of the best 12 free standing punching bags that you could hope for. Buying a free standing boxing bag is easy but if you are new to buying boxing equipment, you need to keep a few things in mind. The following section will help you in understanding them a little better.
A Guide To Buying The Best Free Standing Punching Bag
Types Of Free Standing Punching Bags
There are a few types of free standing punching bags, depending on your workout regime, you can choose the one that suits the best for you.
- Punch and Kick Bag: These types of bags have a wide striking surface which offers a larger area to practice on. They also have a base that can be filled with sand or water.
- Fitness Bag: They have a smaller and lighter form factor which is majorly used for cardio workouts.
- Hybrid Bag: These types can be used for both regular boxing workouts and as sparring partner as well.
- Reflex Bag: They have a small bag that has a spring load at the bottom which is mainly used to improve speed, targeting, and reflex.
Choosing The Right Free Standing Punching Bag
Here are a few things that you need to keep in mind while buying a free standing punching bag:
- Size and Weight: Buying the right-sized punching bag matters because for people who do a lot of high intensity workouts, who put a lot of strength in their punches can easily knock over the bag. You need to buy a bag depending on your height and workout regime.
- Material: Bag made with low quality material will be prone to tearing even with medium-paced workouts. Buying a bag that is made from high-quality leather or vinyl material would be the ideal choice.
- Design and Durability: As we mentioned in the previous section, there are four types of punching bags. All of them have their unique designs and have their own purpose. So, choose a bag that matches your workout needs. All of the products on our list are from brands that use durable and high-quality materials and are sure to last a long time.
- Stability and Resistance: Stability and resistance are two of the deciding factors while picking a free standing punching bag. Be it for a novice or a professional, the bag should have a base that is stable enough to not slide during the workout and should be made from material that offers great resistance to the punch and kicks that they receive.
- Adjustability: Some of the bags on our list provide customization options that will allow you to adjust the height and reflex speed of the bag. If you require such options, MaxxMMA Advanced Cobra Reflex Bag Kit 2.0 could be the perfect choice for you.
- Portability: Being portable is something only a few types of punching bags offer. Most of the bags on our list can be moved from one room to another without any hassle owing to their base. These can be emptied out at the time of need or can just be dragged into another area of the house.
- Warranty: Reading about the warranty might not be on top of everyone’s list, but it is very important and beneficial to have an understanding of how well the product is supported by its brand. Make sure to read through the product specifications for the complete details.
Benefits of Free Standing Punching Bags
- Ideal for homes and gyms that cannot hang a sandbag from the ceiling
- They improve your metabolic conditioning.
- They are great for ground and pound training.
- They are extremely easy to set up. Some of them even come preassembled out of the box.
- You can easily push the bag to a corner when not in use.
- Some bags can also be used for stand up and ground training.
- Free standing bags are compact in size and offer better rebounds for the ideal boxing training.
A free standing punching bag is a worthy investment for any fitness enthusiasts. The gyms might be closed right now, but that does not mean you stop working out. Not only are these bugs a great way to get your cardio done, but they also help in relieving stress from your mind and body. With this list, we hope you have found the bag of your choice.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Is a free standing punching bag better than hanging?
If you are practising at home and do not have a place for hanging a punching bag, then yes, free standing punching bags are better.
How do I stop my free standing punching bag from moving?
Most free standing punching bags come with a base that can be filled with water or sand that keeps them in place.
What is the best free standing punching bag?
If you are planning a heavy workout session, then any century free standing punching bag could be the perfect choice and if you want something more versatile, bags like MaxxMMA Advanced Cobra Reflex Bag should do the trick.
Which is better: punching bag with stand or free standing bag?
This is a choice that depends on your workout type. If you are going to practice kicks, knees and elbow strikes, then a free standing bag is the best one to buy.
Should I fill the base with sand or water?
It totally depends on your choice. Most people use sand because when the base is filled with water, there might be chances of leakage.
Why should I buy a free standing punching bag over a hanging bag?
Free standing bags are more convenient, easy to set up and do not require to be mounted on the ceiling.
What is the base weight of the free standing heavy bag?
The base weight varies from brand to brand; you can read the product specifications for the exact details.
Is the free standing bag built heavy or is it more for speed and agility?
Although free standing bags are made for convenience, there are brands that also offer heavy-duty bags for high intensity workouts.
Is the heavy bag height adjustable? How tall is the free standing heavy bag?
Most of the products on our list do support height customization and since the dimensions are different for each brand, read the product specifications for the exact information.
Are free standing punching bags good?
Absolutely! If you are someone who wants to exercise from home, buying free standing punching bags is the best thing you could do for yourself.
Latest posts by Chaitra Krishnan (see all)
- Go Wrinkle-Free With The 13 Best Drugstore Retinols Of 2021 - February 17, 2021
- Banish Puffiness And Wrinkles With 13 Best Rollers Of 2021 - February 6, 2021
- Prevent Dryness With 13 Best Ceramide Creams Of 2021 - February 6, 2021
- 10 Best Soaps For Dry Skin In 2021 - February 6, 2021
- Nourish And Heal Skin With 13 Best Manuka Honey Creams of 2021 - February 5, 2021