If you think using a cream-based moisturizer feels greasy, you must switch to some of the best gel-based moisturizers. These are great for oily skin and work effectively for all skin types. Apart from boosting your skin’s hydration levels, they leave your skin feeling fresh, smooth, and non-greasy. Water-based gel moisturizers can do wonders for you if your skin is prone to dehydration and dryness. They can be the perfect summer shot for your skin to make it feel young, healthy, and rejuvenated. They give an instant boost of hydration to the skin and make it appear plump and awaken.
If you are new to the bandwagon of gel moisturizers, we have got your back. We have lined up the 15 best gel moisturizers for you. Keep reading to know more.
In This Article
15 Best Gel Moisturizers To Hydrate Different Skin Types! (With Buying Guide)
1. Best For Dry Skin: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel
Feeling of a gel and power of moisturizing cream, nobody’s boosting hydration like Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel. Packed with hyaluronic acid, which is naturally found in the skin, this hydrating gel moisturizer locks in moisture to leave your skin fresh, plumped, and beautiful. Yep, calling it a skin thirst-quencher won’t be totally wrong as this water gel moisturizer also claims to act as a sponge for dry skin and absorb moisture instantly. To make an informed decision before buying, you can check out this video.
- Non-comedogenic gel moisturizer
- Provides intense moisturization
- Absorbs quickly and long-lasting
- Dermatologist-recommended, oil-free, and dye-free
- Ideal for wearing alone or under makeup
- Suitable for dry skin
- It is scented.
- Not a suitable gel moisturizer for oily skin
2. Best Lightweight: Garnier SkinActive Moisture Rescue Refreshing Gel Cream
Is it a gel? Or is it a cream? We’d say both! This gel-cream moisturizer promises intense hydration to keep your skin dryness-free for up to 24 hours. Yep, no more midday touch-ups to conceal those white rashes! Keeping your skin in good health, this oil-free gel moisturizer contains vitamin C, antioxidant fruit water, and many other moisturizing ingredients for normal to combination skin. Indulge if you haven’t already! Click here to check out this YouTuber’s unbiased review.
- Lightweight gel moisturizer
- Locks in moisture
- Repairs the protective barrier
- Soothing and non-comedogenic
- Locks in moisture and blocks out dryness
- Suitable for dry and all skin types
- May sting very sensitive skin
- Not ideal if you are sensitive to smell
3. Best Non-Comedogenic: Clean & Clear Morning Burst Hydrating Gel Moisturizer
Give your skin the right kickstart with this refreshing Clean & Clear Gel Moisturizer. Just like splashing a handful of cold water, it’s packed with a blend of mango extracts and cucumber to wake your skin from slumber. Besides this, it also replenishes the missing moisture instantly to leave a hydrating and happy glow. A must-try if you hate the greasy feeling (who doesn’t?), this gel face moisturizer won’t leave a heavy residue on the skin as well. Try it! Here’s a personal review video to help you get a better understanding of the product.
- Ultra-light gel moisturizer
- Water-based and non-comedogenic
- Leaves skin refreshed and clean
- Suitable for acne-prone skin
- Intense scent
- Dry skin may feel tighter
4. Best For All Skin Types: Green Leaf Naturals Aloe Vera Gel
From the aloe leaves onto your skin, this pure aloe vera gel will bless your skin with an all-natural therapy. Given how aloe vera is a tonic to revive dull, dry, and dehydrated skin, this 99.75% moisturizing gel is a must-try if you are looking for a mild and gentle remedy. And besides dry skin, it can be used as a hair conditioner or to soothe skin post-shaving as well. And if you love DIY-ing products at home, this aloe vera gel moisturizer can be your ideal go-to! Aloe love, anyone?
- Non-sticky gel
- Freshly-harvested and cold-pressed
- Ideal to use on face, hair, and body
- Suitable for dry and all skin types
- Not suitable if you prefer a thick consistency
5. Best Quick-Absorbing: Tree Of Life Vitamin C Eye Gel
Believe it or not, but the eye areas are where the aging lines are the most obvious unless you have this eye gel in your skincare routine. Be it fine lines, wrinkles, crow’s feet, or dark circles, this vitamin c gel moisturizer will fight it all. Given how vitamin C is a great antioxidant to diminish fine lines, dark spots, puffiness, and wrinkles, this anti-aging gel moisturizer also contains cucumber, peptides, and eyebright. Go on, flaunt your beautiful eyes without showing your age with this gem.
- Vegan gel moisturizer
- Natural and organic ingredients
- Boosts collagen and improves elasticity
- Protects from skin-damaging free radicals
- Quick-absorbing, silky, and soothing
- Paraben-free and cruelty-free
- Suitable for all skin types
- It may sting slightly around eye areas.
6. Best Long-lasting: Olay Age-Defying Hydrating Gel Cream Moisturizer
Why suffer when you can rebel against those aging lines with this hyaluronic gel moisturizer by Olay. Nope, we are not against aging gracefully, but wrinkles and fine lines may make your skin look older than it truly is. And this powerful and advanced formula with B3 vitamins and hyaluronic acid penetrates deeply to provide hydration for up to 24 hours. Easing the aging lines visibly, prep up to notice smooth, soft, and silky skin. It is the best gel moisturizer for dry skin.
- Restores moisture
- Combats dullness
- Lightweight and long-lasting
- Non-comedogenic, non-greasy, and oil-free
- Suitable for dry skin
- It may not absorb instantly.
7. Best For Hydration: Origins Ginzing Energy-Boosting Gel Moisturizer
Revive your dull and tired skin with this blend of caffeine, ginseng, and hydra hug technology! Like a morning brew for your skin to wake up and glow for the day, this oil-free gel claims to rev up skin’s natural energy and provide hydration for up to 72 hours. Now, that’s something worth trying, don’t you think? Also, hydra hug technology prevents moisture loss by eliminating the distance between skin cells. Do not skip it!
- Combats dryness
- Restores natural radiance
- Leaves skin recharged and refreshed
- Free from parabens, sulfates, phthalates, and more
- Suitable for normal to oily skin
8. Best Oil-Free: Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel
Are you brand conscious? Or are you looking for a trusted product for your skin? Try Clinique! Developed by dermatologists to smooth, hydrate, and enhance your complexion, this gel moisturizer promises dramatically different skin with every use. Also, are you into all-natural products? Because this vegan moisturizing gel contains barley extract, sunflower seed cake, hyaluronic acid, and cucumber fruit extract to deliver hydration for up to 8 hours. Yep, glow up with Clinique!
- Balances oil production
- Retains and locks in moisture
- Glides on smoothly and quick-absorbing
- Free from sulfates, SLES, SLS, and denatured alcohol
- Suitable for normal to oily skin
- It has a fragrance.
9. Best Oil-Free: Yes To Watermelon Super Fresh Gel Moisturizer
Quench your skin’s thirst with this watermelon-infused formula. Given how the fruit is widely known for its hydration benefits, you can now enjoy the bliss in this delicious-smelling gel moisturizer. Packed with 96% natural ingredients, it also contains vitamin C and lycopene to provide light hydration and retain optimal moisture levels. Go on, say yes to this skin-enriching juice ASAP.
- Soothes and softens the skin
- Cruelty-free and vegan
- Lightweight and natural gel moisturizer
- Free from silicones, parabens, and SLS
- Suitable for all skin types
- Oily skin may turn slightly greasy
10. Best Non-Greasy: Paula’s Choice Skin Balancing Invisible Finish Moisture Gel
If you are looking for a fragrance-free gel moisturizer, Paula’s Choice moisture gel will be ideal for you! Also, a great option for refining large pores and fighting early signs of aging, this gel moisturizer is packed with niacinamide, vitamin C, hyaluronic acid, oats, and licorice extracts. So, if you are dealing with fine lines, wrinkles, uneven skin tone, discoloration, and more, this intense hydrator can be your ultimate bias. Try it!
- Ultra-light moisturizer
- Protects from environmental damages
- Rejuvenates, refreshes, and softens skin
- Reduces redness and protects the moisture barrier
- Paraben-free and non-greasy
- Suitable for normal, combination, and oily skin
11. Best For Deep Conditioning: Boscia Cactus Water Moisturizer
No prickly feeling here! This cactus water-infused moisturizer has nothing but intense hydration for dry to very dry skin. Given how harsh temperatures can turn our skin into a parched land, this cactus-aloe vera blend can rehydrate, moisturize, and revive your natural glow by boosting moisture levels instantly. Yep, you may not be a fan of leafy drinks, but your skin may love it. Give it a go!
- Ultra-light gel
- Moisturizes intensely
- Improves complexion
- Provides deep conditioning
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Free from chemicals, preservatives, artificial fragrances, and color
12. Best Anti-Aging: Vichy Aqualia Thermal Water Gel Hydrating Gel Moisturizer
Dry and sensitive skin is a tricky combination to deal with, but not if you have this dermatologist-tested gel moisturizer in your skincare routine. Plus, its formula is not to be underestimated! Infused with hyaluronic acid and Vichy Volcanic Water, one can expect the skin to stay hydrated for up to 48 hours! And that’s not all— this all-natural drink will replenish the lost moisture and fight fine lines and wrinkles as well to leave an enhanced complexion. Do not skip this volcanic bliss!
- 97% natural formula
- Non-sticky, non-greasy, and oil-free
- Lightweight, soothing, and comfortable
- Strengthens and protects the skin’s natural barrier
- Combats dryness, dullness, and skin-damaging radicals
- Allergy-tested, sensitivity-tested, and paraben-free
- Suitable for normal and combination skin
- Intense fragrance
13. Best Dermatologist Recommended: EltaMD Laser Enzyme Gel
Ideal to use after laser or deep peeling treatments, this enzyme-enhanced gel is the ultimate skin comforter. Recommended by dermatologists, it’s a great option for intense moisturization, skin healing, recovery, and for treating inflammation, itching, and more. What does it contain? The iconic— hyaluronic acid. Watch it hydrate your skin with a cool sensation with every use. Try it!
- Unique enzyme formula
- Stimulates the growth of new skin cells
- Suitable for using post-procedures
- Slightly sticky
- Not suitable for sensitive skin
14. Best Cruelty-Free: H2O+ Hydration Oasis Refreshing Gel Moisturizer
If you fancy Asian skincare, then this Japan-based gel moisturizer will definitely pique your interest. With its clean-ingredients formula, the gel glides on the skin like butter to alleviate dullness and revive the natural glow. Also, it contains apple stem cells, hydro-amino infusion, Japanese cedar bud extracts, and mini hyaluronic acid to provide maximum hydration. Encouraging your skin to renew and recover, also protects the skin’s natural barrier with every use. Bask in this Asian gem already!
- Lightweight gel
- Cruelty-free product
- Ensures healthy-looking skin
- It leaves a dewy and non-sticky finish.
- It refreshes, soothes, and softens skin.
- May leave a light film on the skin
15. Best For Irritated Skin: Clarins Hydra-Essentiel Moisturizes And Quenches Cooling Gel
Lastly, for skin running dry and very dry, this hydration boost will quench the thirst with its ultra-cooling blend. Working as the hydrator and moisturizer, this soothing gel is a must-try to restore the optimal moisture of your skin. So, if you are dealing with dull, tired, or dehydrated skin due to stress or everyday damages, this cool gel is all you need to restore your natural and glowing radiance. Do not miss this one!
- Mattifying gel moisturizer
- Comforts irritated skin
- Plumps skin and restores suppleness
- Shine-free and oil-free
- Suitable for normal to combination skin
You can’t wait to try one, can you? Nor can we! There you go; those were the 15 best gel moisturizers to comfort and hydrate your skin intensely. And, if you need more assistance with choosing the right moisturizing gel, we have some tips for you in the buying guide below.
How To Choose The Right Gel Moisturizer For Your Skin?
Look out for the following features in the product before buying:
Skin suitability: Gels moisturizers are now available for all skin types and not for just oily skin. Hence, before buying, inspect if it is suitable for your skin type to enjoy the best benefits.
Water-based or oil-free: If you are looking for a gel moisturizer for oily skin, it should be water-based or oil-free to prevent post-application greasiness. Also, water-based gel moisturizers are a great option for dry skin as well as to boost hydration.
Intense hydration: Gel moisturizers are ideally recommended to people dealing with dryness or moisture loss. If that’s your major concern as well, then check if the product provides light, intense or maximum hydration before buying.
Long-lasting benefit: Unless you don’t mind re-applying frequently, a product that guarantees long-lasting hydration must top your list. After all, you don’t want people pointing out white rashes on your skin, right?
Non-greasy and non-comedogenic: Lastly, pick a gel moisturizer that is lightweight, quick-absorbing, and non-comedogenic. This means it won’t leave a greasy film on the skin and it neither clog pores.
Whether you have oily skin, dry skin, or combination skin, a moisturizer is necessary. But regular moisturizers may turn your skin greasy. So your skin needs the best gel moisturizers to stay hydrated. These gel moisturizers prevent dryness, turn the skin soft, and rejuvenate your skin. Some gel moisturizers listed in our article provide intense moisturization, while some repair the protective barrier, and some revive the dull skin. However, stay away from moisturizers that are not suitable for sensitive skin.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Gel Moisturizer Good For Acne-prone Skin?
Yes, absolutely! Most of the gel moisturizers are non-greasy, quick-absorbing, and non-comedogenic, making them ideal for acne-prone skin. And, if you are looking for one, a Clean & Clear Morning Burst Hydrating Gel Moisturizer would be a great grab.
Is Gel Moisturizer Good For Combination Skin?
Yes, they are great for combination skin, and some of the best ones are Garnier Skin Active Moisture Rescue Refreshing Gel-Cream and Clarins Hydra-Essentiel Moisturizes and Quenches Cooling Gel.
Are Gel Moisturizers Good For Oily Skin?
If you have oily to very oily skin, then gel moisturizers are the best solution for you. Here are some you must try- Origins Ginzing Energy-Boosting Gel Moisturizer, Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel, and Paula’s Choice Skin Balancing Invisible Finish Moisture Gel.
Do Gel Moisturizers Clog Pores?
No, if you try non-comedogenic gel moisturizers! Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel, Clean & Clear Morning Burst Hydrating Gel Moisturizer, and Olay Age-Defying Hydrating Gel Cream Moisturizer are some great non-comedogenic gel moisturizers.
Can You Mix Facial Oil With Gel Moisturizer?
Yes, you can mix facial oil with gel moisturizer. However, to make the best of both, use the gel moisturizer first, let it absorb. Next, you can apply the facial oil to seal the skin’s barrier and provide an extra layer of nourishment.
- Best Water-Based Moisturizers For Dry Skin
- Best Korean Moisturizers For Oily Skin
- Best Alcohol-Free Moisturizers For Healthy And Radiant Skin
- Best Drugstore Facial Moisturizers