For those who have fine or thin hair, the struggle of finding the right hair clip is real! The best hair clip for fine hair will add that extra grip to avoid your hair from slipping out of place. If you are worried about finding the right one, don’t worry. We have carefully gathered a list of the best hair clips that are functional and affordable, and will add a pop of color to your everyday look!
In This Article
12 Best Hair Clips For Thin Hair
1. Best Comfortable:HairZing Stretchy Banana Hair Clip
This banana clip from HairZing helps keep your hairstyle intact for a long time. It is designed with rounded fine wire teeth to provide flexibility and elasticity and slide in and out of the hair roots very easily. The double comb design is highly stretchable and can easily cover your hair while providing breathable space for the scalp and hair. It can withstand a large amount of strain.
The product is also cushioned and does not apply much pressure on the hair. It provides an all-day hold to your hairstyle without slipping and sliding or causing pain or headache. This clip is suitable for dry or wet hair. Its surface is covered, coated, and sealed so it protects your hair from damage.
- Durable material
- Strong grip
- Loosens with time.
Review: A user writes, “This banana clip from HairZing is ideal for my thick, curly hair. It secures my hairstyles effortlessly, from ponytails to fauxhawks, and it’s comfortable to wear. It is definitely a stylish solution!”
2. Best Non-Slip:Acrylic Banana Rectangle Claw Clips
The Acrylic Banana Rectangle Claw Clips are a set of 8 clips in different pastel colors. These simple clips are made of high-quality acrylic material and strong, rust-proof metal springs. These hair clamps are user-friendly, long-lasting, flexible, and comfortable. The large claws contain 14 teeth clamps that are slip-resistant and can efficiently hold your hair in place. They are suitable for thick or thin hair. These non-slip hair clips are ideal for use when washing your face, doing your daily beauty routine, applying makeup, cooking, participating in sports, or keeping your hair out of the shower’s water. It tightly holds hair and offers a quick, casual, or semi-formal hair updo. You can also use these big claw clips and metal hair clips for an elegant and generous look.
- Ideal for multiple occasions
- Durable design
- Strong grip
- Large soft claw
Review: A satisfied user writes, “These Acrylic Banana Rectangle Claw Clips are fantastic! I was surprised by their durability and how well they hold my thick hair. The variety of colors and strong grip make them my go-to choice for stylish hairstyles.”
3. Best Snug Fit:HairZing Original Comfy Comb
The HairZing Original Comfy Comb ensures convenience and stays comfortably in place all day. You don’t have to re-adjust or loosen it, as the hair clip can hold your hair comfortably without damaging it. Its teeth are wide enough to hold the strands firmly. As a result, they easily slide around your hair roots and lock your hair without friction. This hair clip is lightweight, portable, and does not cause any pain or discomfort on your head. This hair comb can help you create flattering hairstyles in seconds.
- Snug fit
- For everyday use
- Not easy to align.
Review: According to a reviewer, “The HairZing Original Comfy Comb has a sturdy design. Its thick teeth keep my hairstyle in place all day long. The stretch cords are comfortable and its elegant design suits any occasion.”
4. Best Classy Design:Toderoy Tortoise Barrettes Claw Clips
The lovely, delicate Toderoy Tortoise Barrettes Claw Clips are designed as tortoiseshell in a checker pattern. They go well with daily outfits and hairstyles and make you stand out from the crowd. The tortoise barrette hair clips feature smooth surfaces and rounded edges so that they won’t pull or damage your hair. The clips not only enhance the beauty of your hairstyle but also give you a charming and elegant look. These claw clips are perfect for various occasions, including daily use, parties, ceremonies, and birthdays. These hair grips are perfect for tucking your hair while washing your face or showering.
- Classy design
- No-slip grip
- Opens at an angle close to 180o
- The print can fade
Review: A reviewer says, “I adore the Toderoy Tortoise Barrettes Claw Clips! They are a bit smaller than what I expected but they can hold my thin, long hair perfectly. The cream and black design adds a stylish touch.”
5. Best No-Crease Design:RC Roche Ornament French Concord Curved Hair Clip
The RC Roche Ornament French Concord Curved Hair Clips is a set of 6 premium glossy hair slides perfect for a secure grip on your hairstyle. These are very lightweight and sturdy, which helps keep your hair away from your face. They do not crease or tangle your hair. The clips have 16 interlocking teeth made of high-quality plastic and have strong-holding springs. Use one of these clips to twist your hair and slide the hair clip in. These clips are suitable for all hair types, including curly, wavy, straight, frizzy, thick, and fine hair.
- Suitable for all hair types
- Easy to use
- Large in size and very comfortable
- Non-slip grip
- Sometimes hair can get caught in the spring
Review: A user says, “As someone with fine, shoulder-length hair, it’s hard to find clips that hold well. But the RC Roche hair lip keeps my hair in place without separating it like how claw clips do. It’s sturdy and comfortable.”
6. Best Versatile Styling:Planet Goody Round Claw Clips
The Planet Goody Round Claw Clips are made with plant-based or recycled materials. You can do versatile hairstyles with these clips for everyday looks and elegant parties alike. These strong and durable clips are designed to stay in place, even through the busiest days. The round shape gives you a secure grip on your hair, and the claw-like teeth keep your locks right where you want them. There are classic colors in the neutral palette: oatmeal, brown, and black.
- Extra-strong hinge
- Made with plant-based material
- Slide-proof grip
- Strong but gentle hold
Review: A happy customer writes, “I’m thrilled with the Planet Goody Round Claw Clips! They are versatile and match all my outfits. They are easy to open and can hold my curly hair perfectly. They even came with a bonus clip that I love!”
7. Best For Styling:Kitsch Open Shape Styling Clips
The Kitsch Pro Open Shape Styling Clips are specially made for salons and hair stylers. These clips help you section your hair easily while styling, cutting, coloring, or highlighting all hair types. The professional-level hinges of these clips give a firm hold flawlessly for dry or wet hair. You can also use these clips to create a lovely hair updo, set curls, or do other hair styling. The golden finish of these clips adds a hint of elegance even to an unflattering outfit.
- Best for hairstyling and cutting
- Easy to use
- Perfect for dry and wet hair
- Strong hold
- Durable material
- Not the best choice for long, thick hair
Review: A reviewer writes, “I’ve been a fan of the Kitsch Open Shape Styling Clips for years. They are perfect for long hair. They keep my hair secure without being too tight, and they don’t snag or damage my hair.”
8. Best For Fine Hair:Tortoise Barrettes Rectangle Shape Clips
The Tortoise Barrettes Rectangle Shape Clips are perfect hair accessories for thin and fine hair. These clips come in colorful patterns and prints that make your hairstyle look beautiful and stylish. The patterns and colors of each clip are different. This set contains one of each light pink, apricot, blue pearl white, black, and white, yellowish-brown, khaki, and varicolored. The claw clips are made of premium-quality materials that make them lightweight and durable. The claws are non-slip and efficiently hold your hair in place. You can use these hair clips to hold your hair in place while you work, cook, clean, or do anything else.
- Large size
- Strong hold
- Not suitable for short hair
Review: A satisfied user shares, “The Tortoise Barrettes Clips are not only pretty but also incredibly sturdy, holding my hair securely without discomfort. I love the variety of colors and how they effortlessly elevate my hairstyles.”
9. Best Large Size:Framar Large Claw Clips
The Framar Large Claw Clips have a rubberizing coating on a soft matte material so they won’t catch on your hair or fall out. These clips are large enough to handle large portions of thick hair. A strong metal spring with tiny internal teeth keeps hair tightly in place. These clips look adorable on any type of hair, including thick, thin, wavy, fine, short, or long hair! These clips are lightweight and very comfortable to wear all day without even realizing it’s on your hair. They have a soft and smooth opening and closing. These claw clips come in classy colors that will perfectly match every kind of outfit and occasion.
- Comes in a pack of 4 gorgeous colors
- Strong grip
- Great for all types of hair
Review: A user writes, “TheFramar Large Claw Clips have a sturdy grip and durable build that make them a must-have accessory. They are wide enough to hold my thick hair in place Plus, they’re surprisingly comfortable for everyday activities.”
10. Best Strong Hold:Square Matte Jumbo Hair Clip
The Square Matte Jumbo Hair Clips is a variety pack of 6 claw clips, perfect for all hair types and styles. The set contains 3 pieces of 4.3-inch giant claw clips, designed to firmly hold thick hair in place, and 3 pieces of 3.54-inch medium square hair clips, perfect for thin, curly hair. With neutral colors to choose from, you will look stylish wherever you go. They are constructed with premium materials that make the clips strong and durable. The teeth are designed to provide the hair with the best grip. Keep your hair in place all day long with this set of claw clips.
- Big teeth
- Strong grip
- Durable material
- May fade with sun exposure
Review: A tester shares, “The Square Matte Jumbo Hair Clip holds my hair all day without pulling or slipping. It is a must-have for anyone struggling with thin hair as it makes the hair look voluminous. It is stylish and functional!”
11. Best Elegant Design:Ivyu Hair Claw Clips for Women
The Ivyu Hair Claw Clips for Women are perfect for any hair type, whether it’s thick, thin, curly, or straight. They are crafted from high-quality metal that makes them both stylish and durable. The secure spring is easy to open and shut without breaking. It ensures a strong grip that won’t damage your hair. These metal hair clips are the perfect accessory for daily use during washing your face, applying makeup in the morning, bathing, cooking, working, studying, and even on date nights. No matter the hairstyle, these hair clips will hold it in place all day.
- Unique design
- Strong hold
- Best for a party look
- Suitable for all types of hair
- May not be durable if used on thick hair everyday
12. Best Durable Material:Bella Daisy Flower Snap-On Hair Clips
These snap-on hairpins from Bella have a cute daisy flower design. They are made from durable metal and are lightweight. Each clip is 2 inches long and keeps the hair intact. These flower clips are suitable for toddlers, girls, and women with thin hair.
- Metal construction
- Easy to use
- Color may fade away.
Now that you know what the ideal hair clips for fine hair are, here are some tips on finding the perfect match.
Important Features To Consider While Buying A Hair Clip For Thin Hair
- Metal Or Plastic: Some people are allergic to plastic, while others are allergic to metal. Hence, it is important to choose the material of your hair clip that Does not cause any allergic reaction and is safe for your hair and skin. Metal clips are highly durable, whereas plastic hair clips can break easily, but they are cheaper than metal ones. Choose the material based on your preference.
- Plain Or Decorative: Different hair clips are available to cater to different needs and occasions. If you are buying a hair clip for any special occasion or party, go for decorative hair clips. For daily wear or office use, you could choose a plain one.
- Size: If you have long hair, a medium or large-sized hair clip will be suitable for you. For short hair, a compact or small clip will do the trick.
- Sets: Find out how many clips you are getting in a set. A hair clip set is always better than a single piece.
Hair clips come in a variety of shapes, including U-shaped clips, round-shaped clips, and rectangle-shaped clips, as well as different sizes, colors, and functions, though they all serve the same purpose. Learn more about them in the next section.
What Are The Different Types Of Hair Clips?
- Barrette: A barrette clip is a clasp that helps hold your hair in place. An updated version of the bobby pins, it was first worn in the mid-19th century, and since then, it never went out of trend. Barrettes are usually made of plastic or metal and have a decked appearance.
- Alligator Clip: Also known as the crocodile clip, the alligator clip has serrated jaws designed with a spring on one end, providing a comfortable hold. It is ideal for thin hair and is often used by hairdressers while cutting or styling to hold extra hair coming in the way.
- Snap Clip: Snap clips are the most popular among women and children. They come in a variety of colors and patterns. These clips can easily hold your hair strands, allowing you to style your hair the way you like it.
- French Clip: French hair clips are worn in different styles, depending on their size. They are ideal for holding thick and long hair and are usually worn at the back of the head.
- Jaw Clip: Jaw clips are flexible, durable, and easy to use. Also known as claw clips, they have two large teeth attached with the help of spring in the middle. Claw clips can help you sport different styles.
- Condor Clip: An elongated version of crocodile clips, condor clips have pointed ends that help in holding your hair in a bun. If you have thick and long hair, condor clips are your go-to.
Before buying hair accessories for thin hair, here are a few things that you should consider, so you do not regret your decision later.
How To Choose Hair Accessories For Thin Hair
- The teeth must overlap tightly: If you are buying a claw clip for your fine hair, ensure that the gap between the teeth is less.
- Look for fine teeth combs: For thin hair, a comb with fine teeth is recommended, as it has more teeth than a regular comb, making it efficient and easier to style your hair.
- Choose smaller clips: Small clips are lighter. They do not slide down and can hold a good amount of hair in place. Large clips can burden your head and give you headaches.
- Go for anti-slip barrettes: Barrettes are quite popular among women and girls as they help in holding the hair strands in place hair holding without slipping. Their metal grips are protected with rubber layers for firmness and prevent hair damage. If you have thin hair, go for straight bar hair barrettes as these clips prevent slipping.
Despite all caution, while picking hair clips, if they tend to slip, here is what you can do to make them stay in your hair.
How Do I Get A Hair Clip To Stay In My Hair?
- Pull all your hair into a low ponytail and make a half bun to put the clip on your hair firmly. This will prevent your clip from slipping and keep your hair in place.
- Spray some hair setting spray to keep your hair in place. This will also hold back clips in their place.
- Choose the right area on your hair to put the clip. You can place your hair clip on the center of your head, behind the ears, near the temple area, or whatever spot you feel like where it can stay in place and hold your hair firmly.
- Choose a clip with a strong grip. When you clip your buns, ensure it has a secure grip around the bun area. A loose grip can ruin your upstyle.
- Clip back the right amount of hair to prevent slipping. Take a section of hair that is equal to the width of your clip. This will provide a good base for a clip to stay secured on your hair all day.
- If you are styling your hair, backcombing and ironing your hair can also prevent your hair clip from sliding down.
Infographic: Tips To Style Thin Hair The Right Way
Styling thin hair can be quite tricky, especially because thin strands are extremely fragile and do not hold a hairstyle for a long time. The one point to remember while styling thin hair is to focus on adding texture, which can make it look voluminous. Go through the infographic below to know how you can style your thin hair the right way to make it appear full and bouncy.
For people with fine or thin hair, finding the right hair clips might be a daunting task! However, there are many clips available that can tackle your hair and keep them in the right place. Jill Turnbull, a hair stylist with 47 years of experience, states, “Finding the right hair clip can be a struggle if you have thin or fine hair. Fortunately, this article provides a comprehensive list of the best hair clips for fine hair. From the HairZing Original Comfy Comb to the Tortoise Barrettes Claw Clips, each clip is designed to provide flexibility, elasticity, and a firm hold without causing damage to your hair.”
The hair clips are lightweight, durable, and don’t pull on the strands. The HairZing Stretchy Banana Hair Clip can be used for various hair types and styles. You can also try the RC Roche Ornament French Concord Curved Hair Clip for its elegance and decorative appeal, and those with thicker or longer hair can opt for the Framar Large Claw Clips. They gently sit on your hair while providing breathable space for your strands and scalp. However, while choosing the right hair clips for thin tresses, it is better to avoid the ones that are too harsh on your locks and cause throbbing headaches when worn.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
Shiboli Chakraborti, the author of this article, is a hair care enthusiast. To help her readers who struggle with fine hair, Shiboli has carefully conducted an in-depth investigation by reading through several reviews online and compiled a list of the best hair clips you must try. They are pocket-friendly, provide just the right grip, and add a splash of color to your daily look.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do hair clips damage your hair?
If worn for longer periods of time, hair clips can weigh your hair down and damage your scalp. They might also pull and tug on your hair while causing bald spots.
Do claw clips work for thin hair?
Yes, definitely. Claw clips are great for thin hair. However, choose small or medium-sized claw clips as the bigger ones might look odd on tresses with less volume.
How do you wear cute hair clips?
To wear cute hair clips, first, select the section of your hair you want to put the clip on. Gently wear the clip in a diagonal direction starting from the tip of your ears. Make sure that the clip is secured to your tresses.
Are hair clips healthy for hair?
Premium-quality hair clips are definitely more gentle on your hair and scalp. However, wearing them for longer hours can lead to hair breakage and irritation on the scalp.
- Best Hair Extensions For Fine And Thinning Hair
- Best Clip-In Hair Extensions With A Buying Guide
- Best Hot Rollers For Fine Hair To Add Volume