Curly hair seems to get all the bad reputation. It usually gets unruly and difficult to comb or manage. The curls may also keep the natural oils from spreading evenly across hair strands. The result? Hair that is dry, damaged, and dehydrated.
Curls are also more prone to split ends and frizz. The solution? A good hair mask. An effective hair mask not only manages tough curls but also locks in the moisture and ensures proper nourishment to each hair strand. Here we have listed the 10 top hydrating hair masks specially meant for curly hair. Take a look!
Table Of Contents
10 Best Hair Masks For Curly Hair
Arvazallia Hydrating Argan Oil Mask is one of the top salon products for treating curly or kinky hair. This deep conditioning hair mask moisturizes, hydrates, and reinvigorates dry, damaged, and chemically processed hair. Its restores the hair’s natural moisture levels. This mask is infused with fatty acid-rich argan oil that locks in moisture and lubricates and nourishes the hair shaft. The vitamin E in the argan oil offers a protective fatty layer to the hair and scalp. This prevents dryness, reduces frizz, and boosts shine. The mask works best for permed, natural, and curly hair strands
- Helps detangle hair
- Improves elasticity
- Makes hair soft and silky
- Improves manageability
- Strengthens weak hair shafts
- Improves hair texture
- Repairs split ends
- Contains silicone
This is a deeply moisturizing mask that nourishes dry, rough, dull, and frizzy hair. Apply a generous amount of this mask to your hair and leave it on for 5 to 7 minutes. You will achieve easily manageable hair. The Moroccanoil Intense Hydrating Mask is a high-performance, rich, and creamy deep conditioner made for medium to thick curly hair that is also dry. The mask is made of argan oil and linseed extract that revive the hair texture, elasticity, and manageability. Its argan oil is rich in antioxidants, essential fatty acids, and vitamin E that restore hair shine. The linseed oil extract is rich in omega-3 fatty acids that seal the hair cuticle and prevent breakage and frizz.
- Restores elasticity
- Suitable for medium to thick hair type
- No heat required for treatment
- Manages split ends
- Contains silicones
|1|| ||Moroccanoil Intense Hydrating Mask, 16.9 Fl Oz||$58.00||Buy on Amazon|
|2|| ||Moroccanoil Weightless Hydrating Hair Mask Travel Size, 2.53 Fl. Oz.||$16.00||Buy on Amazon|
|3|| ||Moroccanoil Restorative Hair Mask 8.5 oz.||$42.00||Buy on Amazon|
The Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Hair Mask penetrates deep into the hair follicles to nourish and hydrate each hair strand. This pro-oil complex is a blend of macadamia oil and argan oil that reconstruct and rebuild damaged hair and improve hair health, shine, and elasticity. Macadamia oil is rich in essential fatty acids that work more efficiently than any other mineral oil. They bind to each hair shaft and strengthen it. The antioxidants in this luxurious oil protect hair strands from environmental damage. The emollient properties of macadamia oil give your hair a silky smooth appearance.
- Safe for color-treated hair
- Detangles curly hair strands
- Adds sheen to dry hair
- Makes hair manageable
- Eliminates frizz
- Improves hair elasticity
- Contains silicone
- Contains added fragrances
|1|| ||Macadamia Professional Hair Care Sulfate & Paraben Free Natural Organic Cruelty-Free Vegan Hair...||$18.00||Buy on Amazon|
|2|| ||Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque, 16 FL OZ||1,059 Reviews||$44.95||Buy on Amazon|
|3|| ||Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque, 3.3 Fluid Ounce||$8.99||Buy on Amazon|
Aunt Jackie’s Fix My Hair Conditioning Mask is enriched with flaxseed, mango butter, shea butter, avocado, and coconut oil. These ingredients moisturize your hair and maintain your curls. The mask helps repair hair damage, stops hair breakage, and moisturizes hair, leaving it soft and shiny. It is rich in omega-3 fatty acids that offer a protective barrier to lock in hair moisture and improve overall hair condition. The mango butter is an excellent emollient that is rich in omega-3 and omega-9 fatty acids. These lock in the moisture and nourish each hair shaft. The vitamins A, C, and E are antioxidants that protect your hair from free radical damage and oxidative stress.
- Effective for protective styling
- Softens and moisturizes hair
- No artificial colors
- Easy to use
- Safe for color-treated hair
- Suitable for 2C and 4C hair types
- Repairs hair
- Makes hair soft and manageable
- Contains silicones
- Not for hair with high porosity/3C/4A type hair
|1|| ||Aunt Jackie's in control 15oz - "Anti-Poof" Moisturizing & Softening Conditioner||$6.39||Buy on Amazon|
|2|| ||Aunt Jackie's Quench, Moisture Intensive Leave-in Conditioner, Ultra-Hydrating, Deep Moisture...||1,473 Reviews||$6.97||Buy on Amazon|
|3|| ||Aunt Jackie's Flaxseed Recipes Fix My Hair, Intensive Repair Conditioning Masque, Helps Prevent and...||1,662 Reviews||$9.99||Buy on Amazon|
The SheaMoisture Hair Masque repairs dry, damaged, and chemically processed hair. It is blended with organic shea butter, manuka honey, mafura oil, and baobab oils, along with the goodness of the antioxidant-rich African rock fig. Manuka honey has natural healing properties and the ability to clean hair follicles. It conditions hair and restores healthy hair texture. Honey also provides moisture to curly, damaged hair.
The certified organic baobab oil extract works very well for 4C type of hair. It is rich in omega-3, omega-6, and omega-9 fatty acids that penetrate deep into the hair follicles and lock in the moisture. The antioxidants in the organic blend protect hair strands from environmental pollutants.
- Best for 4C type hair
- Seals moisture
- High penetration ability
- Certified organic natural ingredients
- Provides deep conditioning
- Revitalizes dry, damaged hair
- Safe for colored hair
- Contains alcohol
This deep curl quenching deep moisture mask is specifically formulated to replenish and detangle curly hair. It also deeply nourishes dry, damaged hair. It is blended with coconut milk, coconut oil, mango butter, and murumuru butter that make hair stronger, shiner, and silky smooth.
Coconut milk is an emollient that acts as a tonic for damaged and lifeless hair. It also works as a leave-in conditioner. Mango butter, along with coconut oil, deeply nourish each hair strand. The important fatty acids in the mask offer a protective layer and retain the moisture levels.
Murumuru butter works best for dry, frizzy hair. It is rich in lauric acid that penetrates deep into the hair shaft and seals the hair cuticle. It protects each hair strand from environmental damage. Take a sufficient amount of this rich cream and apply to damp hair. Leave it on for 3 to 5 minutes and rinse.
- 100% natural formula
- Easily converts short-cropped 4C hair type to 1C waves
- Nourishes hair
- Easy to apply
- Defines curls
- Not for very thick hair.
- Very thick
The Ouidad Curl Recovery Repair Mask is specially designed to maintain curls while offering the ultimate nourishment. Its clinically-proven CR-4 repair complex is blended with mafura butter and kalahari melon seed oil that envelop each hair shaft with fatty acids. This creates a protective shield around each hair strand. The coconut oil, jojoba oil, meadowfoam seed oil, watermelon seed oil, and rice bran oil repair each hair strand and restore hair elasticity and manageability. This deep conditioning mask keeps your curls soft, smooth, vibrant, and healthy.
- Free of harsh chemicals
- Maintains curls by providing nourishment
- Provides a protective barrier
- Leaves hair bouncy
- Has a refreshing smell
- May cause allergies in some people.
This rich, hydrating, luxurious mask is a blend of macadamia oil, narcissus wax, corn germ oil, and camellia oil. This unique rich blend transforms dry, dehydrated, damaged hair to a healthy, hydrated, and nourished tresses. Macadamia oil is rich in fatty acids that help calm hair frizz and tangles. This lightweight, non-greasy nutty oil adds shine, nourishment, and strengthens hair follicles. The narcissus flower wax provides extraordinary nourishment, while the corn germ oil acts as an emollient and locks in the hair moisture.
- Hydrates and improves hair elasticity
- Strengthens hair
- Protects chemically processed hair
- Makes hair soft and smooth
- Makes hair easily manageable
- Perfect for 4C type hair
- Greasy formula
The DevaCurl Moisture Conditioning Mask is an excellent rich cream. The key ingredients are matcha green tea butter, sweet almond oil, olive oil, soybean oil, sunflower seed oil, and beetroot extract. The matcha green tea butter is an excellent emollient that softens hair strands, whereas the fatty acids from the sweet almond oil, sunflower oil, soybean oil, and olive oil protect the hair and help retain moisture. The luxurious creamy butter is an excellent hydrating solution for 4C type hair. It maintains coils without compromising on the moisture levels. For a quick moisture boost, apply the creamy luxurious emulsifier to your hair and leave it on for just 3 minutes. Follow by rinsing. For intense hydration, you can apply the mask and cover your hair with a cap. Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes and rinse thoroughly.
- Detangles coils
- Provides nourishment to hair
- Makes hair silky soft
- Easy to apply
- Not suitable for sensitive scalp.
The Davines Love Curl Mask helps tame your frizzy hair. Its extra nourishing power gives remarkable softness and hydration to thick, unruly hair. The mask is infused with sweet almond oil, jojoba seed oil, and rice bran wax that detangle hair and improve hair elasticity.
- Boosts hair shine and smoothness
- Minimizes hair breakage
- Restores hair luster
- Easy to use
- Smells good
These are the best hair masks specifically meant for curly hair. They provide nourishment and hydration to your curls. But before you make a purchase, you need to know what to look for in a hair mask. The following section can help.
What To Consider Before Purchasing A Hair Mask For Curly Hair
- Define Your Hair Type: Before choosing the right product for your hair, it is important to understand your hair type. If you have type 2 to type 4 hair, choose a hair mask that not only maintains your curls but also provides nourishment.
- The Mask Should Prevent Breakage: To prevent split ends or hair breakage, the mask must have a blend of argan oil, coconut oil, green tea butter, or aloe vera gel. These not only maintain hair texture but also prevent split ends and hair breakage.
- It Must Lock In Moisture: Your favorite hair mask should be rich in essential fatty acids that offer a shield to your hair that locks in the moisture. Avoid any sulfate formula that may strip hair moisture.
- Look For Antioxidants: These help in hair treatment. Ensure the mask contains vitamins A, C, and E that protect the hair shaft from free radical damage.
- Must Be A Chemical-Free Formula: Ensure that the mask contains organic ingredients that protect, nourish, and revitalize the hair follicles.
Moisture is key to curly hair. Heat damage, colour-treatment, dryness, breakage, and frizz can make your hair dry. The right hair mask could be a boon for your curls. We hope this post has given you enough options to choose from. Pick your favorite hair mask and see your curls become healthier and stylish by the day!
Expert’s Answers for Readers Questions
Are hair masks good for curly hair?
Curly hair is difficult to manage and comb. Applying the right hair mask not only helps manage curly or kinky hair but also locks in the moisture, strengthens the hair shaft, and prevents hair breakage.
How often should I use a hair mask for curly hair?
You can use a hair mask twice or thrice a week for curly hair.
Do I still need to use conditioner after a hair mask?
Not required. Hair masks already contain hydrating and conditioning ingredients.
Should I shampoo after using a hair mask?
No. After applying a hair mask, just rinse thoroughly with plain water.
- 14 Natural Remedies To Get Rid Of Frizzy Hair
- 15 Effective Hair Masks To Treat Hair Loss
- 10 Best Hair Masks Available In India For Dry, Frizzy Hair
- 10 DIY Protein-Rich Hair Masks And Their Benefits
- Oriental Botanics Red Onion Hair Mask Benefits
Latest posts by Priyanka S (see all)
- 11 Best Exercise Ball Chairs Of 2021 For Better Posture - March 17, 2021
- 13 Best Cruelty-Free Eye Creams For Dark Circles And Crow’s Feet - March 1, 2021
- Differences Between Hair Shedding And Hair Loss - January 11, 2021
- How To Do A Reverse Perm At Home – A Step-By-Step Tutorial - November 25, 2020
- Do I Have Thick Or Thin Hair? Ways To Check The Hair Texture And Beauty Hacks - November 23, 2020