Don’t you love that excitement you feel right after coloring your hair? The sky seems clearer, the world seems brighter, and life generally feels happier right after you’ve undergone that hair transformation that you’d been looking forward to for so long. But dark clouds are up ahead, and they will send you running back to the salon in a just a few weeks’ time. Yes, I’m talking about a hair root touch up. As your hair starts to grow out, your roots will (quite obviously) be the color of your natural hair color, which will (again, obviously) ruin your hair look.
Now, before you start freaking out about how much money you’ll have to spend on hair root touch up appointments every few weeks, just hear me out. There are tons of drugstore products out there that you can use in this situation. These hair root touch up products do a pretty decent job of concealing you’re grown out roots and extending the time periods between each salon appointment. That means you save more money! So let’s look at the best hair root touch up products in the market right now.
Top Hair Root Touch Up Products
1. L’Oreal Paris Magic Retouch Root Cover Up Spray
L’Oreal Paris Magic Retouch is a hair root touch up spray that comes in 8 natural shades that range from blonde to black. Pegged a “Makeup For Hair” by L’Oreal itself, this instant spray conceals your grown-out roots in just a few minutes. Just spray this L’oreal hair root touch upon, comb it through to blend it in with the rest of your hair, and let it dry.
- Narrow spray nozzle that sprays on color precisely
- Dries quickly
- Can stain your skin and clothes
- Difficult to apply around the hairline
2. Color Wow Root Cover Up
Color Wow Root Cover Up is a powder-based hair root touch up professional product hairstylists swear by as it hides grown out roots and covers grays effectively. It comes in a compact powder form with a dual-ended brush for easy application. Just load your brush up with the hair powder, dab it on your roots, and brush off the excess to cover up your roots. Color Wow Root Cover Up comes in 7 shades.
- Compact packaging makes it a travel-friendly product
- The dual-ended brush makes for precise application
- Takes more time to apply than a root cover-up spray
3. Madison Reed Root Reboot Kit
If you’re looking for a more long term solution for covering you’re grown out roots, just pick up Madison Reed Root Reboot Kit. This rather elaborate kit comes with a liquid color that you pour into the tube of color activator. Apply the product with the sponge applicator on top of the tube and wash it off after 10 minutes to reveal your shiny new root touch up temporary hair color that will last for at least 2 weeks.
- Color lasts for 2 weeks
- Comes with a color-protecting shampoo and conditioner, latex glove, and cleansing wipe
- 10 minutes of processing time
- Does not drip
- Does not interfere with the underlying hair color
- Free of ammonia, parabens, and PPD
- Can be messy to apply
4. Oribe Airbrush Root Touch Up Spray
If you want a hair root touch up product that you can easily slip into your purse and carry along anywhere, Oribe Airbrush Root Touch Up Spray is the product for you. This nifty spray root cover-up comes in a sleek and slender bottle and is available in 5 shades. Not only does it hide grays and roots, but it also revives dull highlights, works as a dry shampoo, and prevents your color from fading out even more with the help of a special UV absorbing ingredient. It is the best root touch up for highlighted hair.
- Dries quickly
- Works as a dry shampoo
- Gluten and cruelty-free
- Pleasant smell
- Travel size
- A little expensive
5. Clairol Nice ‘n Easy Root Touch-Up Kit
Clairol Nice ‘n Easy Root Touch-Up Kit is a convenient root touch-up solution that gives you 100% gray coverage in just 10 minutes. The pack includes a small mixing dish, gloves, instructions, dye, and an applicator brush. The permanent hair color blends seamlessly with your natural hair and lasts three weeks.
- Covers grays in 10 minutes
- Lasts up to 3 weeks
- 100% gray coverage
- Precision brush for quick and easy application
- Single-use only
6. Rootflage Root Touch Up Powder
Rootflage Root Touch Up Powder for hair comes in a unique style of packaging with the powder contained in a pot and a fluffy kabuki brush attached to the lid. The powder is dispensed through a hole in the lid, and you can just brush it onto your roots without unscrewing the lid. This hair root touch up product comes in a wide range of 25 shades that includes natural colors as well as some shades of blue, pink, and purple.
- Wide range of 25 shades
- Comes with a big kabuki brush and small precision brush
- Does not contain paraben, gluten, phthalate, and synthetic fragrance
- Works as a dry shampoo
- Not travel-friendly
[ Read: Best Hair Mascaras To Cover Gray Hair ]
7. John Frieda Root Blur Colour Blending Concealer
John Frieda Root Blur Concealer is a dual-toned palette that allows you to mix and customize the powders to exactly match the color of your hair. You can apply the root touch up powder precisely on your roots and flawlessly blend it into your hair with the help of the brush. This palette of root powder for hair comprises shades of blonde and dark brown.
- Mess-free grey hair root touch up
- The two shades can be mixed to create a shade that matches your hair perfectly
- Compact packaging makes it travel-friendly
- Takes time to apply because of the small size of the brush
8. Style Edit Root Concealer
Style Edit Root Concealer is a hair color spray that covers grays and grown out roots and extends the time between your salon appointments. It contains naturally derived adaptive color pigments that stick to your hair and adjust to perfectly match your hair color. This hair root touch up product is especially great for hot days and sweaty workouts as it does not bleed or make your hair stiff.
- Does not make your hair stiff or greasy
- Dries quickly
- Easy to apply
- Can make your hair sticky if you apply too much
9. Rita Hazan Root Concealer Touch Up Spray
Rita Hazan’s Root Concealer is for anyone who wants a high-end and high-quality solution for their grown-out roots. This hair root touch up spray comes in 5 shades and is packaged in a travel-friendly way. Moreover, it claims to be waterproof and transfer-proof.
- Ammonia- and peroxide-free
- Dries quickly
- Transfer proof
- The thin nozzle is good for precise application
- Slightly messy
10. Ever Pro Gray Away Root Concealer
Ever Pro Gray Away works so well that you wonder why it isn’t priced higher. It promises to give you instant full coverage at the roots until the next time you wash your hair. It is formulated using self-adjusting color technology that blends to match your hair color perfectly and is transfer-resistant and waterproof.
- Does not contain parabens, peroxide, ammonia, other harsh chemicals, and permanent dyes
- Thin nozzle offers precise application
- Anti-clumping texture
- Comes in only 3 shades
11. Bumble And Bumble Bb. Color Stick
The Bumble And Bumble Bb. Color Stick is a velvety crayon that covers up roots, hides grays, and refreshes any spots where your color has begun to fade. The best way to use this crayon root cover-up is to apply it to dry hair and blend it into your hair with your fingers.
- Looks natural
- Gentle on your hair
- Crayon can break off
[ Read: 30 Ash Blonde Hair Color Ideas ]
12. Temptu 24-Hour Root Touch Up
The Temptu 24-Hour Root Touch Up is a high-end airbrush device that is made for people who desire that flawless finish when they cover up their roots. The Airpod Root Touch Up that is used with it is a long-wearing but temporary hair color that washes off with water and shampoo and comes in 11 shades. It is also enriched with vitamin E and vitamin B5 that nourish your hair.
- Transfer resistant
- Flawless finish
- Does not make your hair stiff or sticky
- Too expensive for a temporary hair root touch up
13. Root Vanish By Kazumi
Root Vanish By Kazumi is a root touch up a product that can be applied on wet or dry hair. This gel-based hair root touch up comes in a bottle with a thick brush attached on top that makes the application very easy. This product by Kazumi comes in 5 natural shades and contains 22 botanical extracts that nourish and repair your damaged hair.
- Easy to apply
- Does not drip
- Blends easily
- A little difficult to apply
14. TouchBack Marker
The TouchBack Marker makes touching up roots as easy as it can possibly get. It is basically a liquid hair color filled up in a marker that makes it super easy to apply. Just swipe it on your roots and run a comb through to it to blend it into your hair perfectly.
- The wide tip makes for quick and easy application
- Shiny finish
- Blends well into natural hair color
- Does not contain ammonia, peroxide, harsh chemicals
- A little dry
[ Read: Best Temporary Hair Chalks ]
15. Charles Worthington Salon At Home Instant Root Concealer
Charles Worthington Salon At Home Instant Root Concealer is a travel-friendly spray that instantly covers up your grown-out roots and gray hair. It’s easy to use as it comes with a thin nozzle that deposits color precisely on your roots. This handbag-friendly product comes in 5 natural shades.
- Precise application
- Stains skin and clothes
So, it’s time that you said goodbye to your grown-out roots and picked up one of these amazing products and get a hair root touch up done! Comment below to let us know which of these is the best hair root touch up product in your opinion.
- Mamaearth Argan Hair Mask Reviews
- 20 Simple Ways To Cover Gray Hair Naturally At Home
- 25 Tips, Tricks, And Hacks For Hair Coloring
- 18 Tips To Take Care Of Your Colored Hair
- How To Highlight Your Hair At Home: 4 Different Ways
Latest posts by Arshiya Syeda (see all)
- 25 Signs That Your Relationship Is Over - August 9, 2019
- 25 Ways To Forget Your Ex - August 2, 2019
- SkinKraft Personalised Beauty Care – Review - June 14, 2018
- 15 Best At-Home Laser Hair Removal Products – 2019 - March 26, 2018
- How To Air Dry Hair – Best Ways To Air Dry Hair Of All Types - March 23, 2018