Period cramps are that monster whom most women have to face every month. We all have different ways to deal with it, but using the best heating pad for cramps is something that works for most women.
Heating pads for cramps help to relax the uterine muscles that cause menstrual cramps. These pads have thermal settings that you can personalize for your own comfort. Heating pads let you manage menstrual cramps and the discomfort associated with them quickly.
The market is full of heating pads of different kinds. To help you choose the best one for yourself, we have compiled a list of the best heating pads for cramps. So, go ahead and check them out now!
In This Article
Electric Heating pads Vs. Heat Wraps – What Is Better For Cramps?
Heat wraps are malleable and easy to use but are no match for an electric heating pad. These electric pads stay warm for a longer duration, and when they get cold, you can always reheat them with the press of a button. They are also available with moist heat and vibration massage that help with quicker relief over a longer period.
With these benefits, electric heating pads are a better alternative for cramp management. Let us now check the best heating pads for relieving menstrual cramps.
13 Best Heating Pads For Menstrual Cramps
1. Best Overall: Qaltgc Electric Heating Pad
Since the intensity of period cramps changes from time to time, picking a heating pad with adjustable temperature settings can aid better pain management. The QALTGC electric heating pad comes with multiple temperature levels and timer settings for a more user-friendly experience. Plus, the added auto power-off feature keeps you safe while saving energy at the same time. The heating pad comes with a digital remote that lets you monitor the temperature with ease. Its coral fleece outer covering is as soft against the skin, easy to maintain, and machine-washable.
- Multiple temperature levels
- Timer settings
- Auto power-off
- Suitable for moist heat therapy
- Soft fabric
- Flimsy connectors
2. Extra-Long Cord: Haoxuandianzi Electric Heat Pad
The digital Haoxuandianzi electric heat pad, fitted with an ergonomic handheld controller, gives you instant relief from painful cramps. Its extra-large body covers your entire abdomen with ease, while the 82.68-inch extra-long power cord allows you to move freely with your heat pad on. This heating pad has multiple timers. Its automatic shut-off feature protects you against overheating and gives you a more personalized experience. The fabric is enviably soft and plush and makes for a comfortable experience.
- Fast heating
- Ergonomic power cord
- Intuitive controller
- Super soft fabric
- Auto shut-off feature
3. Best Under $25: Medical King Large Electric Heating Pad
This large electric heating pad from Medical King is touted as a quick-relief heating pad. It relieves cramps, sore spots, and muscle stiffness. Its auto-off timer turns off the pad after two hours of continuous use. The plush fabric is gentle on the skin and suitable for machine wash.
- Skin-friendly fabric
- Maintains consistent heat
- Value for money
- Timer options
- Comes with a warranty
- Auto shut-off feature
4. Best Microwave-Safe: HP Solutions Microwave Heat Pad
Innovative and pliable in its design, this microwavable heating pad by HP Solutions is a great for helping women with period cramps and with other joint aches and muscle soreness. Toss this heat pad in the microwave for quick heating or put it in the freezer for cold therapies. The flaxseed and rice filling absorb and retain heat or cold, offering you some comfort from pain and muscle tautness. This heating pad comes with a 12-month warranty as well. Click this video to learn more about the product.
- Ergonomic straps
- Velvety fabric
- Sustainable design
- Suitable for hot and cold therapy
- Comes with a soothing lavender fragrance
- Comes with a warranty
- Cannot retain heat for an extended period
5. Best For Heat Therapy: Sacksy Thyme Microwavable Hot Pack
The Sacksy Thyme microwavable heat pack is great for those knotted spots around the abdomen that can elevate pain. This double-sided heating pad has fleece on one side and cotton on the other. It allows you to choose between moist or dry heat for optimal comfort. This flaxseed filler pad is ideal for improving circulation to the affected area for better pain relief. Plus, it is free from herbal scents and essential oils, and is suitable for people with a sensitive nose.
- Premium soft material
- Double-sided use
- Comes with 12-month warranty
- Poor stitching
6. Best Infrared: UTK Far Infrared Natural Jade and Tourmaline Heating Pad
Relax your knotted muscles with the UTK Far Infrared heating pad. It is crafted from natural jade and tourmaline stones. It delivers balanced negative ions for activating deep relaxation within the body and soothing pain. Its carbon fiber body emits infrared rays to target deep tissue and bring down pain and stiffness. Plus, the controller features an auto shut-off and memory function to ensure it is easy to be used by the elderly. Learn more about the product in this video.
- Far infrared therapy
- Has natural jade and tourmaline
- Deep targeted heat
- Therapeutic benefits
- Auto shut-off feature
- Travel bag included
7. Best Lightweight: Amirce Cordless Heated Waist Belt
The Amirce electric waist belt is a cutting-edge innovation in heat pad technology, exclusively catering to women and their period cramps. It has a graphene heating film that spreads thermal energy faster and over a wider area. This waist belt features three vibrating modes that help manage pain and cramps more effectively. Plus, it has three heat settings and an auto-shutdown feature that powers down the device after thirty minutes. The magnetic proximity charging and the induction touch switch add to its ease of use.
- High vibration massage
- Induction touch switch
- Graphene heating film
- Auto shut-off feature
- Needs frequent charging
8. Best Rechargeble: Voligo Heating Pad
This uterine belt device by Voligo is a heating pad that delivers instant thermal therapy to anyone suffering from cramps, localized pain, or muscle spasms. The smart controller comes with a thermostat button for heat adjustment and a vibration button for ultimate comfort. It truly is a device that brings ultimate relief from the pesky pain with its far-infrared heating. Also, it automatically powers down after ten minutes for a safer, carefree session. The rechargeable battery allows for a hands-free experience and lasts for up to five hours on a single charge.
- Customizable heat and vibrations
- Smart security settings
- Far-infrared heating
- Could be too small for some
9. Best Heating Patch: MenstruHeat Women Heat Pad
MenstruHeat is a trusted companion for women dealing with severe period pain. These heat pads are natural and completely non-intrusive. Women can go about their day wearing these on for a convenient and long-lasting heat supply. The ergonomic design supports the contours of your stomach and gets to the stiff areas on the side. It is, hands down, an amazing option for women to help combat their cramps at any time of the day.
- Compact and convenient
- Ergonomic design
- Long-lasting heat
- Effective on-the-go pad
10. Best With Warranty: Mighty Bliss Extra Large Heating Pad
The Mighty Bliss extra large heating pad is just the partner you need during your crusade against pain. The pad is super sturdy and incredibly soft. It is a good old giant heating device with great heat output. Its large size makes it versatile enough for all the sore muscle groups that need quick relief. Personalized heat settings and an option to use the moist heat method can reliably deliver deep heat that penetrates the skin for better pain relief and deep tissue repair. The two hour shut-off feature works for improving your experience with this brilliant heating pad. This video gives you more information about the product.
- Moist heat option
- Sturdy and comfortable
- Custom heat modes
- Good heat output
- ETL certification
- Auto shut-off feature
- Comes with lifetime warranty
- May not work on pinpoint areas of pain
11. My Heating Pad
The My Heating pad is a conveniently sized heat pack for melting away all that muscle tension we build up in our bodies. It is suitable for both hot and cold therapy. The dual-sided heat bag comes with a fleece side and a cotton side. Both the sides can be alternatively used during heat therapy for pain relief. This portable pack is a great natural alternative over the electric variants. Choose from an unscented, plain rice and flaxseed version if you are sensitive to scents.
- Flexible design
- Soft and comfortable
- Natural moist heat
- Ideal size
- Needs frequent reheating
The Revix microwave heating pad is a great option for quick relief from period pain. These heat pads are made from Minky and Dutch fleece pockets and are filled with organic flax seeds, millets, and clay beads that hold heat for longer periods. Meanwhile, the compartment design allows for equal and effective heat distribution for a deeply soothing experience. The handles can be tugged at for adding compression to soothe tense areas. This pad is suitable for cold therapies as well.
- Cold therapy
- Hands-free application
- Option for moist heat
- Not washable
Colossally sized, the WOOMER Electric Heating Pad can relieve muscle aches, cramps, pain, and stiffness besides menstrual cramps. The 17″ × 33″ heating pad comes with internal coiled wires for even heating. Plus, the six different heat levels help alleviates the discomfort of menstrual cramps in a short time. For a safer, napping-in experience, the heating pad has an auto shut timer that turns it off automatically after two hours.
- Soft fabric
- Extra large for more coverage
- Quick pain relief
- Safety auto shut-off
- Comes with 5 years warranty
A heating pad has been the go-to solution for most women to alleviate menstrual cramps. But how do these pads help in pain management?
How Does Heat Help With Cramps?
Heat relieves pain and relaxes the knotted muscles while improving the blood flow around the uterus. Applying a heating pad helps dilate the blood vessels and directs more oxygen-rich blood to the site of pain. The muscles of the uterus and abdomen are relaxed, and are no longer prone to prolonged contractions (that are the cause of painful cramps).
Placing the heat pad on the lower abdomen provides optimal comfort. Let us learn more about it in the next section.
Where Do I Place A Heat Pack For Cramps?
It should be placed on your lower abdomen to help your uterine muscles relax and ease the cramping. Do not place it directly over your skin as it may cause burns.
Heating pads help in managing pain, but how long should you expose yourself to heat?
How Long Should I Use A Heating Pad To Relieve Cramps?
Ideally, using a heating pad on a low heat setting for 20-30 minutes at a stretch is safe for your body. Excessive heat exposure can harm the internal organs and cause second- or third-degree burns.
Here are some other popular methods to relieve period cramps.
Ways To Deal With Period Cramps
1. Over-The-Counter Pain Relievers: These work to soften the pain that comes with periods by affecting the release of prostaglandins – the hormones related to the breakdown of the cells in the uterus.
2. Soak In A Warm Bath With Salts: A warm bath with some Epsom salts helps keep the cramps under control and works well to soothe your body.
3. Essential Oils: Massaging your abdomen in circular motions with essential oils is an age-old remedy that is believed to help. Oils like lavender, rosemary, peppermint, and cinnamon help boost circulation and relieve pain.
Since you are planning to buy heating pads, here are some essential pointers that can help you purchase the right product.
Factors To Consider Before Buying Heating Pads
1. Size: Heating pads range from smaller, more compact, snug fits like belts and patches to bigger plush-fabric heating devices. One can pick from the size option that best fits their comfort and suits their needs. For more portable and discreet heating, patches and belts are a better choice.
2. Durability: Always look for heating pads that are not too flimsy and have a good sturdy build quality. The cord or the batteries of the pad should be of an equally reliable build for your safety and the product’s longevity. The heating mechanism should have a consistent heat supply over an uninterrupted period and should come with a warranty/guarantee period for repairs or replacement.
3. Thermal Conditions: Consider the type of heating mechanism employed. Some products have far-infrared heating for deep muscle penetration, and others have rice and flaxseed filling for more natural healing. Options like coiled wires and battery-powered heat are also some popular picks. Choose what works best for you. Heat settings for temperature control must also be considered before making a purchase.
4. Materials: Materials like microfibers and natural cotton provide ample insulation and heat delivery, making them suitable for heat therapy. You can use a cotton pad for moist heat, while plush, velvety fabrics are good buffers for dry heat therapy. Narrow down on the material that you ideally need your heating pad in.
Period cramps can ruin your day and keep you from being productive. The best heating pads for cramps serve as a great solution to this problem. Their heat settings are customizable and reduce the discomfort caused by cramps. The products mentioned in our list have timer settings and have ergonomic power cords for easy handling. Some of these heating pads are made of skin-friendly fiber, preventing irritation on sensitive skin. They have velvety soft materials to keep you comfortable during those painful days. However, you might want to avoid heating pads that require frequent charging.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
The author of this article, Aditi Naskar, holds a diploma in health and wellness. She has curated this list of the best heating pads for cramps. She has scrolled through reviews from other customers and recommended those products for this list. These pads are budget-friendly, have soft fabric, and are adjustable to your comfort and needs. Not only are these heating pads lightweight and provide maximum relief with their fast heating features, but they’re also quite affordable and some of them are travel-friendly too.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are heating pads safe for cramps?
Yes. Heating pads relax knotted muscles, ease the blood flow around the uterus, and relieve pain. However, avoid using the heating pads for a long time to prevent irritating your skin and aggravating the pain.
Do heating pads make you bleed more?
No. Heating pads dilate blood vessels, relax the muscles, and improve blood flow, while significantly reducing cramps.
Can you use a heating pad too much?
No. Do not use a heating pad for more than 30 minutes to avoid skin damage and burns. Using a pad for too long increases inflammation.
Are heating pads good for you?
Yes. If you are experiencing severe muscle pain, joint immobility, and period cramps, heating pads are your go-to product.
Does a heating pad help the period end faster?
No. Heating pads improve blood flow and relieve pain, but are ineffective in ending the period cycle before its due time.
Can you sleep with a heating pad on?
No. Do not sleep with a heating pad to avoid burns and severe pain. Excessive exposure to heat deteriorates the muscle condition and weakens your joints.
- Best Battery-Operated Heating Pads That Are Handy And Portable
- Best Massage Roller Sticks To Relieve Muscle Soreness
- Best Heated Pants To Keep You Warm And Cozy In Winter
- Best Heated Insoles To Keep Your Feet Warm And Toasty