It’s a fact of life that as we grow older, our skin begins to change. Our skin becomes duller, under eye bags become prominent, and cheeks start to sag and take on a hollow appearance. And achieving that perfectly sculpted face and youthful radiance from your 20s might seem like a far fetched dream. But you’re in luck! With the right highlighter, you can make your aging skin look youthful and naturally glowing. Aside from beautifully accentuating your facial features, a highlighter can minimize the look of wrinkles, reduce dark circles, and brighten your complexion. All in all, it takes years off your face, making your skin look healthier and younger.
The best highlighters for aging skin should glide smoothly, not crease or cake upon application, and impart a natural glow. However, finding the right highlighter might be tricky, with a myriad of options available. Hence, we compiled a list of the 7 best and affordable highlighters for mature skin you must check out right away!
7 Best Highlighters For Mature Skin (Aging Skin) Of 2020
Wave goodbye to dull skin with Josie Maran Argan Enlightenment Illuminizer. This liquid highlighter is infused with 100% argan oil that hydrates and smoothes the texture of your skin and Madonna lily and poet’s narcissus that brightens the complexion and evens out uneven skin tone. All while the luminous pearls in the formula capture and reflect light to illuminate your face. Suitable for all skin types, this highlighter has a creamy texture and comes in a universally flattering champagne hue. Use it on its own or mix it with foundation or moisturizer for a healthy-looking glow.
- Argan-infused formula
- Concentrated liquid
- Cruelty-free and vegan
- Offers natural-looking radiance
- Does not contain harmful ingredients
- Might be too shiny for some
- Might dispense more liquid than needed.
Sculpt, define, and illuminate the favorite features of your face with this 2-in-1 makeup product by Kevyn Aucoin. The Celestial Powder Highlighter in Candlelight and the Sculpting Contour Powder in Medium, work together to accentuate your natural bone structure and impart a healthy glow. With a cashmere-like texture, both the powders ensure smooth application and seamless blendability. Suitable for light to medium skin tones, the contour powder glides easily to reveal a natural-looking matte finish that does not crease. Simultaneously, the gray, brown, and red pigments in the formula add structure and dimension to the face. As for the highlighter, it is the best highlighter for mature skin as it brightens your look with an iridescent glow.
- Accentuates face
- Crease-free finish
- Super-soft texture
- Brightens face
- Buildable and blendable
- Compact and portable
- Natural-looking definition
- The pan size may be too small for the brush to fit and pick up the product.
Hailed as the #1 best-selling highlighter in the US, this pressed highlighter sure deserves a place on our list of the top-rated highlighters. Unlike traditional pressed powder highlighters, this formula blends ultra-fine multidimensional pearl pigments with liquid to create a highlighter super-soft to the touch. The result is an ultra-creamy texture that blends beautifully and melts into the skin to impart a luminous sheen. Plus, the Champagne Pop color, a soft gold with peachy-pink pearl, flatters all skin tones and delivers a natural-looking finish.
- Medium, buildable coverage
- Free of harsh ingredients
- Lends natural, luminous glow
- Super-buttery texture
- Finely milled pearl pigments
- Suitable for all skin tone and types
- Some might find it glittery
Add a beautiful rose gold sheen to your complexion with this High Beam Liquid Highlighter. It is silky-smooth and glides on effortlessly to give you a long-lasting, lustrous finish. All while the included doe-foot applicator makes application a breeze. Use this under eye highlighter to give your cheekbones a dewy glow, apply a tiny amount under your brow for a brow lift, or add a bit under your eye for a wide-awake look. Besides providing a healthy-looking appearance, it adds a subtle shimmer, making it perfect for both day and night wear. Hence, it is the best highlighter for older skin.
- Lends a radiant look
- Concentrated formula
- Easy-to-use doe-foot applicator
- Might dry too fast making it difficult to blend
True to its name, Benefit Cosmetics Watt’s Up! Cream Highlighter turns up the wattage on your face with its luminous champagne hue that looks flattering on most complexions. It is a dual-ended stick that features a highlighter on one end and a soft glow blender on the other. Once applied, this jumbo stick highlighter delivers a cream-to-powder finish. Popular among celebrity makeup artists for strobing, this formula has a creamy texture that provides a flawless application to achieve a soft-focus look, while also lifting and contouring the face. Apply it solo for the perfect gleam or over your makeup to light up your face.
- Lends a luminous sheen
- Cream-to-powder finish
- Glides on smoothly
- Offers a soft-focus effect
- Soft glow blender makes for easy blending and sculpting
- Might look a little darker on pal complexion
If you are on the hunt for the best body and facial highlighter that will add a gorgeous dose of color and imparts a lit-from-within glow, consider this one by FENTY BEAUTY By Rihanna. Ideal for all skin tones, this highlighter duo features 2 shades – soft pink sheen and supercharged peachy pink shimmer. The left shade provides a subtle glow perfect for day makeup while the one on the right offers a dazzling shimmer excellent for a night out. A blend of cream and powder, this formula is incredibly lightweight, blends effortlessly, and melts into the skin upon application. Plus, it is infused with superfine shimmer particles that provide an ultra-smooth finish that does not look heavy or chunky.
- Creamy texture
- Easy to blend
- Cream-to-powder formula
Beauty For Real Bronze + Glo Highlighter Stick makes it to our list for all the right reasons. Featuring bronzer on one side of the stick and highlighter on the other, this product goes on smoothly like a cream and settles like a powder that blends beautifully to deliver a healthy, sun-kissed glow and weightless coverage. This cream-to-powder makeup duo can minimize discoloration and imperfections, thanks to the anti-aging ingredients such as grape seed extracts and vitamin E. All. Simultaneously, the patented Luminera with the diamond core complex alters invisible UV light that works towards fading fine lines and wrinkles.
- Excellent staying power
- Water-resistant formula
- Has anti-aging benefits
- Cruelty and paraben-free
- Contains antioxidants and organic minerals
- Might be a little greasy
[ Also Try – MAC Strobe Cream Hydratant Lumineux ]
Before you invest in a highlighter, it is essential you go through the points given below to find the perfect highlighter for your aging skin.
How To Choose The Best Highlighter For Aging Skin
- If you are in your 40s or 50s, look for a highlighter with a creamy consistency. This ensures smooth application and seamless blendability without tugging your skin. That said, there is no hard-and-fast rule that says you have to stick to a liquid or a cream-to-powder formula. You could also opt for a powder highlighter with a soft texture that does not settle into your fine lines or wrinkles.
- We are sure a lot of you are aware that besides your skin type, it’s important to consider your skin tone as well. If a certain highlighter shade looks ashy, grey, or too dark on your skin, it is not the right color for you. While shades like pink and peach look great on light to medium complexion, women with darker skin tone could try copper or bronze.
- You wouldn’t want a highlighter that cakes or creases, isn’t it? That’s why always look for a highlighter that has good staying power. Some formulas are water-resistant, which is excellent if you want your highlighter to stay put without smudging during rain or humidity.
- You could also opt for products with anti-aging ingredients, vitamins, and antioxidants that help slow down the aging process and keep your skin nourished.
How To Use A Highlighter For Women Over 50?
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when applying a highlighter.
- If you have wrinkles and fine lines under and around your eyes, avoid applying the highlighter too close to your eyes as it may settle into the lines and enhance them.
- Apply highlighter on the inner corners of your eyes to make you look more awake and fresh.
- If you have crepey or droopy eyelids, you can altogether avoid applying it on your brow bone.
- When highlighting the bridge of your nose, always start from the top of your nose and glide it along the bridge to the tip of your nose. Remember to use a tiny amount of product and a light hand.
- When applying on your forehead or chin, always use a light hand.
How To Remove The Highlighter Off The Face?
Removing highlighter is much like removing any other makeup product.
- First, massage a cleaner on your face and let it sit for a few seconds. Then, use a wet white cotton washcloth to wipe off the cleanser along with the makeup. Continue to wipe until you see that all the makeup is removed.
- Highlighter applied on your eyelid and brow bones might be a little tricky to take off. You could use a cleansing oil and apply a small amount of it on your lids and brows. Also, massage it all over your face to make sure there is no makeup residue left behind. Once done, use a flat cotton pad, add a little cleansing oil on it, and glide it over the surface to pull off the color.
Highlighter is a must-have for dry or mature skin. It is one of those makeup products that can instantly give your skin a youthful glow and a healthy-looking appearance. It can take years off your face by diminishing wrinkles, discoloration, and dark circles. From powders to creams, sticks to compact, these are the 7 best highlighters for mature skin. All you have to do is pick the right formula based on your skin tone and type.
- 12 Best Drugstore Highlighters For Older Skin
- 14 Best Highlighters for Pale Skin of 2020 reviews
- 15 Best Under-Eye Concealers For Mature Skin
- Top 7 Best Cream Blushes For Women Over 50
- NYX Wonder Stick Reviews
Latest posts by Mayuri J Ravi (see all)
- 13 Best Moisturizers For Rosacea That Have Soothing And Hydrating Properties - December 22, 2020
- 13 Best Hair Masks For Damaged Hair – Reviews Of 2020 - December 21, 2020
- 15 Best Acne Treatment Products Of 2020 For Every Kind Of Acne - December 17, 2020
- Achieve A Flawless Blowout With The 5 Best Rusk Hair Dryers Of 2020 - December 16, 2020
- 11 Best Tourmaline Hair Dryers Of 2020 - December 16, 2020