You can say that something’s wrong with your skin by merely glancing at it. But, quite often, you don’t know why the issue occurred in the first place. The answer to this lies deeper within your body. Be it chronic acne, pimples, skin allergy, rashes, or any other kind of inflammation, you can cure it within days with topical creams and steroids. But what if the issue recurs?
The vicious cycle will not end unless you address the problem from the roots and train your body to fight it. Homeopathy can help you do that. Homeopathy has a wide range of medicines for treating skin allergy, rashes, and other skin diseases. In this article, we have discussed all the whats, hows, and whys of homeopathy skin treatment along with some remedies for common skin diseases.
In This Article
Homeopathic Medicine For Skin Diseases: How Does It Work?
“Like cures like.” That’s the principle driving homeopathic treatments for skin and any other issues. Homeopathy treats you by using small doses of natural elements that produce the symptoms of the condition you have.
But medicines are supposed to cure and not aggravate the condition, right? The idea behind the homeopathic treatment method is to stimulate your immune system so that it heals your body naturally. This means that if your immune system knows how to deal with skin issues, the chances are high that those issues will not recur.
Let’s take a look at the top homeopathic medicines for skin diseases, allergies, rashes, and other skin issues.
Note: Do NOT use any of the medicines without consulting a homeopathy practitioner. They will guide you about the dosage and the way to use the medicine for curing your problem.
Top 15 Homeopathic Medicines For Skin Issues
Sulphur is derived from the Flower of Sulphur. A study on 42 patients with atopic dermatitis found that in 60% of the cases, the patients responded positively to sulphur treatment (1). Apart from that, Sulphur is also used to treat:
- Itching and irritation
This is a carbon remedy, and it also contains a bit of iron. Samuel Hahnemann, the German physician, first used this remedy to treat severe eczema along with other skin issues. Since then, Graphites has been successfully administered for a wide range of skin problems such as:
- Skin fissures (cracks and flaky skin caused by extreme dryness or eczema)
- Thick skin or scars (that appear after surgery or major wound)
A study proved that using Graphites helped improve the symptoms of atopic dermatitis to a great extent (2).
3. Sepia officinalis
This is the ink of cuttlefish, and in homeopathy, this medicine was primarily prescribed to women for treating postnatal depression. It is known as the medicine of menopause (according to the British Homeopathic Association). However, Sepia is often prescribed for painful skin issues. According to the National Center For Homeopathy, Sepia can be used for treating (3):
- Freckles (hyperpigmentation)
- Varicose veins
4. Natrum muriaticum
Sodium chloride or common salt (yes, the one that you use for cooking) is the main mineral ingredient of Natrum muriaticum. This homeopathic medicine is the best remedy for controlling acne vulgaris (4). It can also be used to control:
- Blisters (from herpes and eczema)
- Rashes (eczema rashes and sun-induced rashes or sun allergy)
5. Rhus toxicodendron
This is also known as Poison Ivy (yes, the same herb that gives you itches and rashes) and is a very unlikely remedy for several skin issues. This homeopathic medicine is usually administered for treating arthritis, but it can also be used for treating skin issues such as:
It relieves itching, burning sensation, and pain caused by skin diseases (5).
6. Arsenicum album
Arsenic trioxide is diluted to prepare this medicine. It is diluted until traces of arsenic are no longer found in it. This is a very effective (and widely used) treatment for arsenic poisoning (6). It treats arsenic poisoning symptoms, such as:
- Hyperpigmentation (in areas that are not exposed to sunlight)
- Excessive scaly skin (arsenical keratosis)
- Cancer induced by arsenic exposure
- Exfoliative dermatitis
This is also a very useful medicine for treating psoriasis and chronic eczema.
This medicine is prepared from the extracts of an iridescent green beetle that contains Cantharidin, a toxic substance that causes blisters. In homeopathy, this is a beneficial medicine for:
- Minor skin burns
- Blisters that itch and burn
Upon application, it has an analgesic effect and relieves pain and promotes healing (7).
8. Ranunculus bulbosus
Ranunculus bulbosus or buttercups are pretty yellow flowers, but they are very toxic. In homeopathy, these are primarily used for treating muscle tissue and skin related issues (8). According to the National Center of Homeopathy, this medicine is used for treating (9):
- Herpes zoster
- Chapped palms and fingertips
9. Hepar sulphuris
Do you have injuries that are healing slowly? Or flaky skin or eczema? If yes, Hepar sulphuris (or Hepar sulph) can be the remedy for you. This medicine is prepared from the calcium from the inner layers of oysters and the ashes of flowers of sulphur. It is effective for:
- Cracked skin or eczema
- Cold sores
- Painful abscesses
It helps in inhibiting the growth of Staphylococcus aureus, the acne-causing bacteria (10).
10. Thuja occidentalis
This plant is also known as white cedar and is generally grown as an ornamental plant. This is mainly used in homeopathy as a mother tincture (an herbal extract that has the lowest potency).
This medicine is used for treating verruca Vulgaris (or warts). This skin issue is caused by Human papillomavirus (11).
This medicine is derived from the bark of a shrub called Mezereon. It is ingested to treat toothache and headache.
However, in his book, Samuel Hahnemann notes that Mezereum is used for treating Crusta lactea (12). This skin condition is usually noticed in infants. It is seborrhoeic dermatitis, where the skin on the scalp and around the ears and eyes becomes flaky, scaly, and greasy. In extremely rare cases, it may turn severe.
12. Nitricum acidum
This is a mineral acid, and as a homeopathic remedy, Nitricum acidum is very effective in treating warts and skin lesions (13). It has also demonstrated efficacy in treating:
- Mercury abuse
- Cracks and skin fissures
- Ulcers that bleed easily
It is often used to deal with gum issues and bad breath and for treating sores in the corners of the mouth.
This homeopathic medicine is prepared from the extracts of Nerium oleander, a very poisonous garden shrub. The extracts contain high levels of antioxidants that protect the skin cells and help in reducing oxidative stress. This medicine has been used for its antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and antioxidative benefits for ages. It is rich in flavonoids, vitamins, and amino acids that reduce inflammation (14). Oleander is effective in treating:
- Herpes zoster
It is also beneficial for treating food allergies and colitis.
This medicine is prepared from the fluid collected from the blisters in the skin affected by scabies. It is a very potent remedy for a range of skin issues and is pretty effective in treating:
- Ulcers and lice infestation
However, Psorinum shows remarkable results in treating vitiligo, a condition marked by progressive discoloration of the skin. A study shows that continuous use of Psorinum can cure vitiligo patches and make them pigmented again (15).
15. Kali muriaticum
It is also known as potassium chloride and is a very effective remedy for treating eczema. As per the National Center for Homeopathy, you can use Kali muriaticum to manage (16):
Dr. Wilhelm Heinrich Schuessler, a German doctor, introduced Kali muriaticum to homeopathy. He believed that the loss of this element could affect the epidermis (top layer of skin) and causes irritation.
Homeopathic medicines are considered safe, but there are risks of adverse effects that you need to be aware of.
Risks Of Using Homeopathic Medicine For Skin Allergies
Homeopathic medicines are made using a wide range of ingredients that also include poisons and minerals.These medicines can cause severe side effects if you take them without proper guidance of a homeopathy practitioner.
Since most of the medicines are diluted with water, they do not cause any side effects. However, they can interact with other drugs you are taking. Moreover, if these medicines are poorly manufactured, you may experience side effects.
Homeopathy medicines are regulated by the FDA and manufactured and marketed with FDA approvals. Avoid purchasing any product from a manufacturer that doesn’t have FDA approval. Also, avoid self-medication. Before switching to homeopathic treatment for skin disease, check with your doctor.
Though homeopathy takes more time to show results as compared to allopathy, it assures long-term relief. Hence, if you haven’t tried homeopathy, it may be a good idea to put together a small kit that includes all of these or at least whatever you think you may need. But make sure to talk to a homeopathy practitioner before you go ahead with the treatment.
Frequently Asked Questions
How frequently should I take homeopathic medicine?
The dosage is decided by the homeopathic practitioner, and you need to follow their instructions.
Do homeopathic medicines cause side effects?
They may interact with any other medication you are taking and cause side effects. They may also cause adverse reactions if not taken properly as directed by the homeopathic practitioner.
Are homeopathic medicines safe to use while using other medications?
No, they are not, unless recommended by a doctor.
- Prospective observational study of 42 patients with atopic dermatitis treated with homeopathic medicines., Homeopathy, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Homoeopathic treatment in a case of co-morbid atopic dermatitis and depressive disorder, Indian Journal of Research in Homeopathy.
- Sepia, National Center For Homeopathy.
- Utility of Homoeopathic Repertory in Treatment of Acne Vulgaris, International Journal of Science and Research.
- In vivo study of the anti-inflammatory effect of Rhus toxicodendron, Homeopathy, ScienceDirect.
- A Follow-Up Study on the Efficacy of the Homeopathic Remedy Arsenicum album in Volunteers Living in High Risk Arsenic Contaminated Areas, Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Hindawi.
- Cantharis in the early treatment of minor burns, Archives of Emergency Medicine, The BMJ.
- Homsopathic Materia Medica by William Boericke, M.D, Medi-T.
- Ranunculus bulbosus, National Center of Homeopathy.
- Impetigo and Homeopathy- A Case Study, Medicine Case Study, The Publishing House of The Romanian Academy.
- Successful treatment of verruca vulgaris with Thuja occidentalis in a renal allograft recipient, Indian Journal of Nephrology, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- The chronic diseases, their specific nature and their homeopathic treatment : antipsoric remedies By Samuel Hahnemann, Homeopathy Collection, Taubman Medical Library.
- Effect of Nitric Acid on Cutaneous and Plantar warts–a case report, Journal of Young Pharmacists.
- Antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-apoptotic, and skin regenerative properties of an Aloe vera-based extract of Nerium oleander leaves (nae-8®), Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Homeopathic Treatment of Vitiligo: A Report of Fourteen Cases, The American Journal of Case Reports, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Kali Muriaticum, National Center For Homeopathy.
- 10 Effective Home Remedies For Healthy Skin
- 14 Foods To Include In Your Diet To Get Healthy Skin
- Homemade Beauty Tips
- Skin Care- The Problems You May Face
- Avene Cicalfate Repair Cream Reviews