Osteoarthritis is an extremely painful condition caused by damaged cartilage (rubber-like padding that covers and protects the bone joints). Treating osteoarthritis involves self-care, lifestyle habits, medication, and therapy. Apart from these, you can also use knee braces for managing osteoarthritis pain.
Knee braces are especially helpful in pain management by shifting the weight off the damaged part of your knee. Wearing a knee brace helps improve your mobility and makes walking easier and comfortable. If you or anyone you know might need a knee brace for osteoarthritis, here is a list of the best knee braces available right now. Take a look.
Table Of Contents
12 Best Knee Braces For Osteoarthritis
This product is designed to support and strengthen your knees. It has alternating hook and loop straps that apply even support and compression to provide pain relief. The open patella design and four flexible spring stabilizers ensure better knee stability.
It is made with breathable moisture-wicking neoprene that allows maximum comfort and has non-slip silicone strips to ensure that the brace stays in place during any physical activity. It is perfect for meniscus tears, arthritis, tendonitis, and exercising.
- Adjustable bi-directional support
- Open patella design
- Anti-slip silicone strips
- Available in multiple sizes
- Easy to adjust
- Bending the knees with the brace on is tough
This product has an open patella design and claims to relieve pressure and reduce stress on the knee joint during intense physical activity. It is designed in a way to boost blood circulation around the joint and ensure stable recovery as it has extra padding around the knee cap.
It has a reinforced stabilizer ring that keeps the knee cap in its proper position and distributes stress across the ACL, PCL, LCL, and MCL ligaments. This lowers the risk of injury to the knee. The non-slip adjustable straps can properly brace knees of any shape and size. It is ideal for osteoarthritis, sprains, strains, minor tears in ligaments, and joint instability.
- Breathable neoprene sleeve
- Reinforced patella stabilizer
- Customizable and adjustable straps
- Might bunch up above or below the knees
This knee brace has an open patella design and provides support and compression to the kneecap and tendons while performing daily activities. It helps support your knees during twisting and side to side movements.
It has special bevel two straps that effectively relieve acute and chronic knee pain caused by arthritis, strains, and sprains. It is fully adjustable and has velcro straps and is easy to put on and remove.
- Compact and slim
- Open patella design
- 12 months warranty
- Relieves stiffness
- Doesn’t restrict movement
- Eases the pain
- Might get a bit sweaty
This knee brace has a unique 4-way compression system that ‘hugs’ your knee from every angle. Its unique design offers lateral and medial support to your knees, bringing in a sense of stability to the knees. This is especially beneficial for weak knees.
It has two dedicated patella straps that support the patella and provide relief. The comfort gap allows heat to escape and creates less bunching behind the knee. This brace stays put and provides functional support throughout the day.
- 4 functional straps
- Side stabilizers for extra support (double lateral and medial)
- Comfort gap for less bunching
- Anti-slip design
- Full knee bend (no restricted movement)
- Ideal for sports and exercises
- Available in multiple sizes
- Velcro may not last long
- The top strap may curl if you have large legs
The EzyFit Knee Brace has an open patella design. The reinforced double stitched design and strong velcro closures prevent scratching your skin and secure the brace around your knees. It is ideal for helping in recovery from knee surgery, arthritis, meniscus tears, tendonitis, and other knee issues.
It has dual stabilizers, one on each side of the knee, that provide support and flexibility. The alternating bi-directional, anti-slip straps wrap the knee from all angles. This helps to stabilize the patella and reduces knee joint pain. The non-slip silicone gel ensures that the brace stays firmly in place.
- Open patella design for movement and flexibility
- Anti-slip bi-directional strap system
- Available in multiple sizes
- 4 dual coil twin stabilizers
- Comfortable to wear all day long
- Good fit for larger legs/knees/thighs
- The brace might stretch after many uses
- The velcro might wear
This knee brace features a metal spiral that supports the knee and aids controlled and flexible movements. It has an open patella design with a stitched buttress that helps in patellar tracking and supports it for stability. It helps to distribute the weight evenly all over the joint, thus minimizing arthritic and meniscus pain.
This knee brace is made of premium grade neoprene that helps warm the muscles and joints in the knee. It comes in a universal size and is fully adjustable to the desired level of compression. This premium-quality brace is registered as a Class 1 Medical Device with the FDA, Health Canada, and the MHRA.
- Variable compression system
- Made of premium grade neoprene
- Registered as a Class 1 Medical Device
- Official partner of The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy
- Comfortable to wear
- The velcro may wear out fast
This is a heavy-duty knee brace specially designed for large-sized legs. It has a Double D Rings Hinged Locking Mechanism, along with six built-in steel springs that ensure maximum stability. It is made of high-quality materials and provides the right level of compression and support while ensuring breathability.
The EVA pad in the brace helps disperse pressure on the patella and relieves shock. This knee brace is made with antibacterial and moisture-wicking neoprene that ensures comfort and breathability. The reinforced double stitching design and the adjustable straps provide uniform compression and keep the brace in place.
- Large-sized knee pad
- Adjustable straps to manage compression levels
- Integrated technology to reduce odor
- Breathable material
- Also suitable for post-surgery recovery
- Available in multiple sizes
- A bit bulky
- Tends to slide
The Bodyprox Knee Brace can be used by both women and men. It is specially developed for those who have osteoarthritis (OA), meniscus injuries, and knee immobilization issues. It provides both lateral and medial stability and allows proper healing and patella stabilization.
This knee brace has an open patella and back design that stabilizes the knee, prevents bunching, and ensures all-day comfort. It has dual bilateral polycentric support hinges that are made from the lightest aluminum. This helps to maintain the strength and stability of the injured knee. It is flexible and swiftly follows the full range motion of the knee.
- Adjustable for controlled support
- Open patella and back design
- Quick sweat absorption
- Rigid velcro closure
- Easy-to-wear wrap-around design
- Available in all sizes
- Easy fit
- Comfortable and supportive
- Putting it on might involve some extra effort
DonJoy is one of the leading brands that have been producing world-class knee braces for more than three decades. This knee brace is made using silicone web technology. It is scientifically designed and provides shock absorption, ensuring pain relief in your anterior knee.
This is especially helpful in reducing pain related to osteoarthritis of both the knee joint and the patella. It has an adjustable wraparound design and is extremely easy to wear. The unique web design accommodates legs of all sizes and does not slip. The pack includes an undersleeve that is made of a nylon-spandex blend.
- Breathable open framework
- Soft silicone condyle pad
- Patented silicone web design
- Ample shock absorption
- Includes an undersleeve
- Available in different sizes
- Picking the right size can be tricky
- Might slip
- The velcro might wear off
This unloader knee brace is designed to reduce knee pain caused by unicompartmental osteoarthritis of the knee. Wearing this type of knee brace often helps delay the need for surgery. This unloader knee brace is a comfortable, lightweight, low-profile brace with three points of leverage. These three points help reduce the pressure inside (medial) the knee joint.
The strapping system allows you to adjust the knee brace as per your comfort levels. The condyle pads promote comfort and stability and help in pain control. The quick-release buckles make it easy to put on and take off the knee brace. It also has optional flexion/extension stops that assist in controlling range of motion. This knee brace also comes with a unique varus/valgus angle adjustment that ensures to contour with the individual’s alignment and provide pain relief.
- Quick-release buckle
- Varus/valgus angle adjustment (for compartmental off-loading)
- Condyle pads for comfort, pain control, and stability
- Silicone gripped liners and strap pads
- Optional flexion/extension stops
- The velcro might wear off
This knee brace is best for ACL and PCL injuries, medial and lateral instability, patella instability, meniscus injury, and ligament sprains. The braces have bilateral support hinges with hyperextension stops. They also have impact absorbing base pads for maximum support and comfort during any physical activity.
It has an anatomical pre-curved design for enhanced fitting. The knee brace is made of N-tex vented neoprene that is antimicrobial and promotes airflow, reduces odor and bacteria, and wicks moisture away. The X-strap system and the integrated side stabilizers ensure to provide a comfortable fit and ensure that the brace stays in place.
- Made with tempered aluminum
- Four-way stretch spandex mesh
- Premium stitching
- Patella support finishing and spandex binding
- Finger tabs for easy gripping
- Vented and moisture-wicking neoprene
- The size can be an issue for some
This brace provides maximum medial-lateral support and is fully adjustable. It has criss-crossing elastic straps above and below the knee, which you can adjust as per your comfort level. It has side hinge pockets and an open back.
The side hinge pockets ensure that the hinge is in the right position for your knee size, while the open back eliminates bunching. This knee brace is ideal for people with arthritic and weak knees and those who are physically active and indulge in sports.
- Open patella and open back design to prevent bunching
- One size fits most
- Maximum level of support
- Antimicrobial treated to eliminate odor
- No fitting issues
- Heavy-duty brace
- Contains natural rubber latex (might cause irritation)
- A bit bulky
These are the top knee braces you can buy. You can use them to minimize pain and reduce swelling and inflammation around your knees. However, before buying any knee brace, it is important to consult the doctor. They will suggest the right type of knee brace for you, depending on the severity of your condition.
If you have gone through the list, you might have realized that not all knee braces are the same. Below, we have listed the types of knee braces for you.
Types Of Knee Braces For Osteoarthritis
People often confuse knee sleeves with knee braces. Technically, a knee sleeve is not a knee brace. A knee sleeve is designed to support, and a knee brace is designed to protect. A knee sleeve compresses the knees, limits the patella movement, and helps improve blood flow to relieve pain. On the other hand, a knee brace protects the knee from any injury and often limits the mobility of your knee. It is made of metal, foam, plastic, and elastic.
There are mainly three types of knee braces for osteoarthritis:
1. Open Patella Knee Brace
These knee braces have a small opening at the knee cap. Open patella knee braces are ideal for those who have mild pain and stiffness due to osteoarthritis. This type of knee brace relieves knee pressure, provides compression, and relieves stiffness and swelling. These braces also support the knee as they have a hinge on their sides.
2. Web Knee Brace
This is an advanced knee brace with a silicone web-like structure. When you move your knees while wearing this type of brace, it tightens in certain areas to provide extra support to your knees. It is designed to absorb shock and disperse it. This helps in reducing pressure from your knees. It also protects the knee cap and regulates its movement. This type of knee brace is beneficial for those who have osteoarthritis beneath their knee caps.
3. Unloader Knee Brace
If arthritis is severe and has affected the bone structure between the femur and tibia, you might need an unloader knee brace. These braces have metal bands that go around your thigh and calf and are connected by a hinged bar. They create a framework that enables you to shift pressure from one side of the knee to the other.
Those were the types of knee braces available for osteoarthritis. Generally, the doctor recommends what type of knee brace you might need. They may also suggest brands. However, if you are picking a knee brace, you need to consider a few points before finalizing one.
How To Choose The Best Knee Brace For Osteoarthritis
- Know The Types: Before you pick one, you need to know what type of knee brace will meet your needs.
- Check The Size: If the size is not right, you won’t feel comfortable, and it will end up hurting your knees.
- The Material: Check if it has a non-bulky design and is made of flexible material. Also, check if it is too stiff or whether it allows free joint movement or not.
Above all, what type of brace you need to pick depends mostly on where your arthritis is located in your knee and how bad it is. Hence, get your knee evaluated by a doctor and follow the doctor’s recommendation.
Wearing a knee brace can help you in many ways.
Benefits Of Using A Knee Brace For Osteoarthritis
- You will have the flexibility to move around. Osteoarthritis tends to restrict your movement. Wearing a knee brace protects the knee and supports your movement.
- It feels comfortable. As the padding of your knees is damaged, you will feel uncomfortable while moving around. A knee brace will prevent further damage and reduce pain and inflammation.
- It provides pain relief and reduces discomfort. Flare-ups can be extremely painful. Wearing a knee brace can help reduce the pain significantly. It also reduces the number of drugs you take as compared to those you took during flare-ups without braces.
Dealing with osteoarthritis is tough. But with the right knee brace, this painful condition can no longer force you to sit idly and watch the world go by. Hence, if you or any of your loved ones have this condition, get one of the best knee braces for osteoarthritis today. Also, do not forget to follow up with the doctor.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
When to use a knee brace?
You should wear a knee brace if you have knee pain (any painful knee condition) or any injury and want to prevent any further injury to your knees.
Should I wear a knee brace all day?
Yes, you can. However, it is better to consult a doctor and understand whether you need to wear it all day long or for a particular period.
How to wear a knee brace?
Place the inside of the knee brace against your knee. Wind the straps around your knees to secure it.
- Best Knee Braces To Buy In 2020 – Our Top 10 Picks And Buying Guide
- Top 20 Knee Strengthening Exercises
- 10 Best Ice Packs For Knee Pain – Reviews And Buying Guide
- 7 Best Knee Scooters – Reviews And Buying Guide
Latest posts by Ramona Sinha (see all)
- How To Use Hair Butter To Protect Your Hair - March 4, 2021
- 13 Best Eyeshadow Singles For Gorgeous Eyes - March 4, 2021
- Avocado Oil For The Skin: Benefits And Ways To Use It - March 2, 2021
- Are Sulfates Really Bad For Your Hair? - March 2, 2021
- The 11 Best Antibacterial Soaps Of 2020 To Buy Right Now - March 1, 2021