A knee scooter is a mobility device for people with leg injuries. It is ideal for below-the-knee use. Unlike a traditional stationary walker, a knee scooter comes with a cushioned seat with pads, a handlebar, and wheels. It makes sure that you do not put any weight or stress on your injured ankle or foot.
Most of these scooters are equipped with three or four wheels. A knee scooter provides excellent maneuverability and is safe and comfortable to use even on rough terrains. In this article, we will take a look at the top 7 knee scooters and a buying guide to help you decide which one to pick. Scroll down to get started!
Table Of Contents
What Is A Knee Scooter?
A knee scooter is a two-, three-, or four-wheeled device that supports an injured leg, allowing the user to navigate without crutches or traditional walkers. It has a seat/platform on which you place your injured leg. It takes the weight off the injured leg and enables the person to carry on with their daily activities. Knee scooters come in different varieties – from small and compact ones to large and sturdy ones to navigate rough surfaces.
Here’s how you can use a knee scooter:
- Place your injured leg in the center of the scooter’s seat.
- Bend your knee at a 90° angle.
- Place the free leg on the ground
- With the help of your free leg, push yourself forward.
- Try and keep your pace as consistent and gentle as possible to avoid injuries.
Who Should Use A Knee Scooter?
A knee scooter is a temporary mobility solution designed to facilitate a person’s movements when their legs are debilitated. Just like a walker and cane, this tool is also meant for short term use.
Primarily, a knee scooter is used by a person who is relatively in good health but needs some assistance in walking. Unlike a walker or a cane, a knee scooter completely eliminates the movement of one leg. That means the person using this tool needs to use their free leg to balance and move forward. In other words, this device requires low to moderate core strength and average motor skills to navigate.
These devices are not ideal for people with hip or spine problems. In most cases, a knee scooter is used by people recovering from an ankle, knee, or foot injury.
You can use a knee scooter for:
- Ankles sprains
- Ankle injury
- Fractured foot
- Fractured ankle
- Achilles tear
- After a foot surgery
- After an ankle surgery
You cannot use a knee scooter if:
- You have poor motor skills.
- Both your legs are weak and injured.
- Your knees don’t bend 90°.
- Your hip or spine is injured.
There are many benefits of knee scooters. Check them out below!
Benefits Of Using A Knee Scooter Over Crutches
- A knee scooter is one of the least invasive mobility aids a person can use. Many compact knee scooters allow users to easily navigate busy city streets, grocery store aisles, and other narrow spaces.
- They allow your healthy leg to move freely without causing any obstruction.
- A knee scooter also requires much less time to get comfortable using compared to other mobility aids, such as crutches or a wheelchair.
- Most people find crutches unstable and unsteady. When recovering from surgery or an injury, there are high chances of falling while using crutches, which can risk the recurrence of injury.
- Knee scooters are more stable than crutches and reduce the possibility of slipping on wet or uneven terrains.
- Knee scooters often have baskets to carry personal items.
- A knee scooter has a steering wheel that allows you to control your speed and direction. You can also let go of the steering wheel with one hand to grab something.
- Most knee scooters are foldable and compact.
- They are the best aids for people recovering from foot surgery, gout, diabetic ulcers, sprains, and fractures.
Now that you know how useful knee scooters are for people with leg injuries, let’s check out the 7 best ones.
The 7 Best Knee Scooters You Need To Check Out
1. All-Terrain Knee Scooter – KneeRover All Terrain Steerable Knee Scooter
KneeRover revolutionized the knee scooter industry when it introduced its All-Terrain Steerable Knee Scooter – the first all-terrain knee walker with 12-inch air-filled tires.
These tires provide freedom to navigate grass, gravel, compact sand, dirt, and sidewalk gaps with incredible ease and mobility.
- Premium Tire Rod Steering: Advanced tie-rod steering mechanism provides excellent stability even on rough terrains and uneven surfaces.
- Locking Hand Brake: An adjustable locking hand brake provides immediate stopping ability and control.
- Enhanced Stability: KneeRover Stabilizer is for users seeking increased stability while maneuvering their scooter.
- Heavy-Duty Frame: This device has a dual-bar frame that has a 350 lb weight capacity.
- Easy To Transport And Store: A quick-release folding mechanism on the steering bar enables easy transport. The device also has a removable front axle for easy storage.
- Adjustable Knee Pad: It has a comfortable contoured knee pad with a 3-inch cushion. It also features height adjustment to accommodate a wide range of users.
- Simple push-button parking brake
- Includes basket
- Comfortable to use
- Can be used on either leg
2. Steerable Knee Scooter – Elenker Economy Knee Walker Steerable Medical Scooter
Elenker Knee Walker provides a more reliable and comfortable alternative to crutches for patients who need an effective mobility solution. It is ideal for individuals recovering from a broken foot, broken ankle, broken leg, ankle surgery, leg amputation, other lower leg injuries, or medical conditions like ulcers. It is suitable for indoor and outdoor use. This steerable knee scooter features four 8″ wheels. It is the best knee scooter for broken foot.
- Locking Brake: This device is equipped with ergonomic handgrips that make it simple to control and maneuver it. The handles include a brake to slow down safely and stop without skidding. It comes with easy-to-use pushdown brakes to lock.
- Adjustable Knee Pad: A comfortable contoured knee pad that can be adjusted to variable heights.
- Foldable Knee Walker: To fold down the knee walker, open the steering lock and push it to the left.
- Fold Switch: A quick-release motion enables the device to fold for easy transport and storage.
- Suitable for indoors and outdoors
- Adjustable locking handbrakes
- Adjustable handlebars and knee pad
- Lightweight and compact
3. Knee Scooter With Best Brakes – KneeRover Economy Knee Scooter
KneeRover Economy Knee Scooter with a dual brake system is an effective tool for users seeking extra stability and control while navigating rough terrains.
- Adjustable Steerable KneeRover: A fully adjustable steering column and handlebars enable you to choose the perfect height for enhanced maneuverability.
- Dual Locking Hand Brakes: Two adjustable locking hand brakes provide immediate stopping ability and control.
- Easy To Transport And Store: The quick-release folding mechanism on the steering column and front axle can rotate 90° for easy transport and storage.
- Adjustable Knee Pad: A comfortable cushioned knee pad with adjustable height that accommodates a wide range of users.
- Dual Rear Brake System: Dual rear braking system enables quick stopping ability while navigating rough and uneven terrains.
- Lightweight And Heavy-Duty: Weighs only 21 lbs and has a 300 lb weight capacity.
- Stability And Control: Dual adjustable locking hand brakes and dual rear on-wheel brakes provide extra stability and control.
- Comes with a basket
- Easy to control
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
4. Compact Knee Scooter – KneeRover Jr All Terrain Knee Scooter
The KneeRover Jr All Terrain Knee Scooter is the industry’s first pediatric all-terrain knee walker. It provides safe, effective, and economical outdoor mobility to individuals who are 4’3″ to 5’9″ tall. The KneeRover Jr has helped thousands of kids and small adults who could not bear weight on their foot or ankle but wanted to remain mobile. it is the best rated knee scooter.
- 9-Inch Pneumatic Tires: These large air-filled tires provide freedom to navigate your home, school, and any terrain with ease – including grass, gravel, dirt, and gaps in sidewalks.
- Premium Tie-Rod Steering: Advanced automotive tie-rod steering mechanism provides superior stability and control, even while maneuvering rough terrain.
- Locking Hand Brake: An adjustable locking hand brake provides immediate stopping ability.
- Enhanced Stability: KneeRover Jr. features the patent KneeRover Stabilizer for users seeking increased stability while maneuvering their scooter.
- Lightweight And Heavy-Duty Frame: KneeRover Jr. All-Terrain has a lightweight yet sturdy dual-bar frame that has a 250 lb weight capacity.
- Adjustable Knee Pad: A contoured knee pad with a 3-inch cushion.
- Adjustable kneepad
- Suitable for children
- Can be used indoors and outdoors
- Sturdy and durable structure
5. Knee Scooter With Dual Pad – Drive Medical Dual Pad Steerable Knee Walker
Drive Medical’s Dual Pad Steerable Knee Walker features a sturdy pair of front wheels for ease of use.
Its two-piece leg pad makes it even more unique, comfortable, and controllable. It can also be folded quickly for easy storage and transport.
The front basket gives you a place to carry items along with you. The Knee Walker’s adjustable height and leg let you customize it to your specific needs.
The 8-inch wheels make it great for both indoor and outdoor use.
The deluxe dual braking system provides support, stability, and safety. This device provides quick mobility and enhanced safety to help you recover more quickly.
- Front-Wheel Steering: It provides increased maneuverability.
- Two-Piece Knee Pad: Offers extra comfort to knees.
- Foldable Steering Column: The steering column can be folded quickly for easy storage and transport.
- Deluxe Braking System: Ensures stability while slowing down.
- Removable Front Basket: For storing your bag.
- Durable Steel Frame: Provides sturdiness to the device.
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
- Easy to control
6. Best Foldable Knee Scooter – New KneeRover® Go, Knee Walker
The KneeRover GO is specially designed for the person on the go. Whether you are a regular commuter, a traveler, or just need a compact and portable mobility device for your regular activities – the KneeRover GO will give you the freedom you deserve during your recovery. It can be used indoors and outdoors.
- Lightweight Aand Portable: The KneeRover GO weighs only 20.4 lbs.
- Locking Hand Brake: The simple push-button parking brake provides immediate stopping ability and control.
- Reliable Drum Brake System: Provides quick stopping ability and control.
- Heavy Duty Structure: This knee scooter has a rugged yet lightweight frame that has a 300 lb weight capacity.
- Easy To Transport And Store: This knee scooter folds in seconds with the help of its quick-release folding mechanisms on the steering bar and center frame. Its front axle can rotate 90° for easy transport and storage.
- Stability And Control: Four 7.5-inch PU wheels that are equipped with shock absorbers and provide excellent stability and control.
- Adjustable Knee Pad: A contoured knee pad with a 3-inch cushion that can be adjusted according to your height.
- Lightweight and compact
- Sturdy design
- Attractive green fame
7. Knee Scooter With Basket – Elenker Steerable Knee Scooter Deluxe Medical Scooter
Elenker Knee Walker is ideal for individuals recovering from a foot or knee injury. This knee walker boosts your recovery. Its sturdy design makes sure that you feel comfortable, stable, and safe. It is ideal for indoor and outdoor use. It is the best steering knee scooter.
- Locking Brake: This device is designed with ergonomic handgrips that make it simple to control and maneuver. The handles include a brake to slow down safely and stop without skidding. It comes with easy-to-use pushdown brakes that lock.
- Adjustable Knee Pad: A comfortable contoured knee pad that can be adjusted to your height.
- Foldable Knee Walker: To fold the knee walker, open the steering lock and push it to the left.
- Fold Switch: The quick-release motion enables the device to fold for easy transport and storage.
- Easy to control
These top-rated knee scooters are designed to provide you support and comfort. But before purchasing a knee scooter, there are certain features you need to consider. Check them out below.
Knee Scooters – Buying Guide
There are certain features that you need to take into consideration when purchasing a knee scooter.
This step is very important because a knee scooter is a medical device used in recovery, and some features are mandatory for fast and safe recuperation.
Features To Consider While Purchasing A Knee Scooter
The knee rest on your scooter should accommodate your leg comfortably to ensure excellent balance. Look for a deep cushioning seat to protect your leg. The knee pad should be adjustable for a perfect fit, and its height should be adjustable to make the scooter more stable.
If you plan on spending a lot of time outdoors, pick a steerable knee scooter that is meant for all terrains. A non-steerable knee scooter offers more stability and balance but can be used only indoors.
Choose either large or small wheels, depending on where you want to use it. Thick wheels are suitable for outdoor use and rough terrains, and small wheels are ideal for indoor use.
Make sure your knee scooter can be adjusted without the need for additional tools. The more adjustable features, the more you can customize it. It is also very important to get a device that can be adjusted to your height for perfect fit and functionality.
5. Body Frame
Look for a strong frame constructed with durable materials like aluminum or steel. For maximum stability and safety, consider buying a knee scooter that uses ellipsoidal tubing, which is sturdier than round wheels.
If you travel a lot, look for a foldable frame that is convenient to store and transport. It allows the user to fold down the scooter for easier packing and storing in a vehicle.
There are a plethora of knee scooters available at different prices. The larger the device, the higher the price. Therefore, pick one that suits your needs.
A knee scooter can totally transform your recovery after a foot injury or surgery. Pick one that suits your needs, and get moving. Which one of these knee scooters would you like to try out? Comment below to let us know!
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Can I sit on my knee scooter?
A knee scooter is only meant to bear the weight of your injured leg. A regular knee scooter will not be able to withstand your weight for a long time.
How do I slow down on a knee scooter?
Knee scooters are equipped with brakes, just like a regular bicycle. However, you need to be very careful while applying the brakes as you might lose your balance while slowing down.
- Best Knee Braces To Buy In 2019 – Our Top 10 Picks And Buying Guide
- 10 Best Ice Packs For Knee Pain – Reviews And Buying Guide
- Most Comfortable Orthopedic Seat Cushions Of 2019 – Our Top Picks And Buying Guide
- 10 Best Foot Massagers To Buy In 2019
- 10 Best Wrist Wraps To Buy For That Perfect Grip
Latest posts by Pooja Karkala (see all)
- 10 Best Handheld Percussion Massagers For A Deep Tissue Massage - January 9, 2020
- 10 Best Cavitation Machines For Fat Burning And Body Sculpting - January 7, 2020
- 10 Best Castor Oils That Promote Hair Growth - December 31, 2019
- 10 Best Henna Hair Dyes To Buy In 2020 - December 31, 2019
- 16 Best Hairsprays For Fine And Thin Hair That Provide Strong Hold - December 31, 2019