The 16 Best Leave-In Conditioners For Curly Hair To Try In 2023
Combat frizziness and lock the moisture in your tresses with these gentle products.
We wish our beautiful curls and waves were spared from the ravages of heat and chemicals, but it is subject to damage and breakage like every hair type. But what do you do? The best leave-in conditioner for curly hair is your answer to beat them all. These conditioners retain the moisture in your hair, leaving it shiny and soft to the touch. They also bring back your shine and kick the frizz out of your hair! Here is our list of the top leave-in conditioners available on the market to get your hair game up. Scroll down to check it out!
In This Article
1. Best For Type 4 Hair: Kinky-Curly Knot Today Leave-In Conditioner/Detangler
Are you struggling with stubborn knots? Not anymore! Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-In conditioner soothes the frizz, detangles knots, and repairs the hair follicles, the herbal way. Enriched with botanical extracts and formulated with a creamy texture, watch your comb glide through your curls without causing breakage.
- Creamy consistency nourishes hair
- Soothes hair follicles
- Detangles the knots and tames frizzy hair
- No paraben or other harmful chemicals
- Rich in herbal and botanical extracts
- Ideal for very dry and curly hair
- It does not moisturize adequately and an additional oil mix is recommended
2. Best Organic Formula: CURLS Blueberry Bliss Reparative Leave-In Conditioner
This conditioner is hailed as the Holy Grail of leave-in conditioners for curly hair! All thanks to Curls Blueberry Bliss Reparative Leave-in Conditioner’s organic blend of coconut oil, grape-seed oil, and mango butter, which rejuvenate your hair, impart volume and detangle the knots in your hair. It helps condition and repair curly, very curly, dry, and kinky hair.
- Organic and certified formulated conditioner
- Blend of coconut oil, grape-seed oil, and mango butter
- Repairs, restores, and conditions hair
- Ideal for curly, very curly, dry, and kinky hair
- Contains no paraben, sulfates, silicones, fragrances etc.
- Healthiest option to nourish curly hair
- Not recommended for fine hair
- It does not moisturize adequately
3. Best Moisturizing Formula: Garnier Fructis Style Curl Nourish Butter Cream Leave-In Conditioner for Curly Hair
Dryness, hair breakage, and split ends are all signs of lack of moisture. Lock in the natural oils, nourish your follicles and replenish the moisture with the rich combo of buttercream and coconut oil in the Garnier Fructis Style Curl Leave-In Conditioner. With an assurance of long-lasting moisture, it also guarantees 24 hours of frizz-control.
- Rich combo of buttercream and coconut oil
- Long-lasting moisture and intense nourishment
- 24 hours of frizz-control
- Paraben and sulfate-free
- Not suitable for fine hair
4. Best Non-Greasy Formula: DevaCurl Leave-In Decadence Ultra-Moisturizing Conditioner
Your curls need the right amount of nourishment to love you back. DevaCurl Leave-in Decadence Ultra-Moisturizing Conditioner has everything your curls need. Bringing the goodness of chufa milk, an allergy-free, organic ingredient along with quinoa and pequi oil, this combo acts as a soothing balm for your curls. Deeply nourishing, replenishing, and conditioning, this conditioner heals your curls like no other.
- It is sulfate, paraben, silicone, and cruelty-free
- Provides intense hydration to damaged, dry, and frizzy curls
- Conditioning does not leave hair sticky or greasy
- Formulated with quinoa and chufa milk
- Not suitable for fine hair
5. Best For Split Ends: Briogeo Farewell Frizz Rosarco Milk Leave-In Conditioning Spray
A few sprays of Briogeo Farewell Frizz Rosarco Milk Leave-in Conditioner can do wonders for your hair. Packed with the benefits of argan oil, rosehip oil, and coconut oil, it assures anti-frizz hair. It also locks in the nourishment, detangles, and makes your hair look healthier than before. Suitable for all types of hair, watch your mane go from lifeless to flawless in a few sprays!
- Controls frizz, split-ends
- Detangles and nourishes hair
- Suitable for straight, curly, and colored hair
- Protects against breakage
- Paraben, sulfate, gluten, silicone, and cruelty-free
- Vegan-friendly product
- Not recommended for very curly and kinky hair
6. Best For Brittle Hair: Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Leave-In Conditioner
Sealing in softness and shine with its moisture-rich recipe, Black Vanilla Leave-in Conditioner by Carol’s Daughter is the hydrating experience that your curls need. It is the ultimate tonic to make your tresses look healthier and frizz-free. The fragrance is soothing and mood-boosting. This conditioner is made from wheat protein and vitamin B5 that guarantees intense nourishment, while sweet clover, shea butter, and aloe vera leaf juice help transform the hair.
- Moisture-rich and organic formulation
- Soothing fragrance
- Suitable for dry and brittle hair
- No petrolatum, mineral oil, or artificial colors
- It does not moisturize effectively
- The fragrance may be overpowering for some
7. Best Lightweight Formula: Mielle Organics Pomegranate and Honey Leave-in Conditioner
The Mielle Organics Pomegranate and Honey Leave-in Conditioner rejuvenates damaged tresses and offers a beautiful shine. It is loaded with natural ingredients such as pomegranate, honey, babassu oil, and citrus extracts that hydrate the hair strands deeply and make your curls bouncier and natural-looking by inducing softness in them.
The lightweight and nutrient-rich formula also helps get rid of frizz, split ends, and hair tangling to offer smoothness to your strands. It is easy to apply and does not leave any greasy feel once washed away. The gentle conditioner works as a curl primer ensuring long-lasting hydration while improving your hair texture and reducing hair fall. Apply this conditioner from the roots to the tips to increase manageability and strengthen your tresses.
- Natural ingredients
- Lightweight formula
- Increases hair shine
- Improves hair health
- Repairs damaged hair
- Prevents hair frizz
- Boosts hair growth
8. Best For Heat Damaged Hair: Arvazallia Heat Protectant Plus With Argan Oil- Leave-in Conditioner
Frequent styling, blow-drying, or sun exposure can leave your curls dry, brittle, and lifeless. Arvazallia’s Heat Protectant Plus With Argan Oil forms a shield that repairs heat damage, enriches the scalp, and eliminates frizz, thus making your curls look healthy and vibrant. Infused with the goodness of argan oil, this conditioner acts as a professional-grade thermal protector for the hair. So no more hair buns and hair ties; leave those lustrous locks open and flaunt your curls in your selfies.
- Suitable for hair damaged by heat
- Eliminates frizz and nourishes the scalp
- Give a soft and silky texture
- It does not weigh the hair down
- It has a soothing fragrance
- Using too much product will leave your hair greasy
9. Best For Color-Treated Hair: Sun Bum Revitalizing 3-in-1 Leave-in Hair Conditioner Spray
Are you looking for the best leave-in conditioner for color-treated curly hair? Revitalizing 3-in-1 Leave-in Conditioner Spray by Sun Bum is the perfect solution for you! All the damage that color does, this miracle spray heals, protects, conditions, and detangles your hair, making it smooth and frizz-free. And that’s not all; the vegan blend of quinoa protein and sunflower seed oil also slows down the color fading! This all-natural hair tonic also includes coconut oil, banana pulp, peel, and leaf extracts. You will not need a hairstylist when you have this revitalizing spray.
- Vegan leave-in conditioner
- Protects from harsh UV sun rays
- Controls frizz and split-ends
- Cruelty-free and contains no paraben or gluten
- Repairs color damaged hair and slows down color-fading
- The fragrance may be overpowering
10. Best Overall: Daily Dose Miracle Moisture Leave-In Conditioner Spray
If there is one reason why the Daily Dose Miracle Moisture Spray is fantastic, it is that it promises instant results after a single use! True to its name, this miracle solution gets to work from the first application itself. Whether you have fine, frizzy, natural, curly, coiled, oily, thick, or coarse hair, it is an all-rounder, all-in-one formula that repairs damaged hair, split ends and detangles the stubborn knots. And while it restores moisture, it leaves your hair looking healthy, shiny and so soft that you can’t keep your hands off them.
- Instant results
- Suitable for all types of hair from fine to coarse, curly hair
- All-in-one formula that repairs hair and restores moisture
- Suitable for colored hair
- 100% vegan
- Paraben, sulfate, petroleum, gluten, and mineral oil-free
- The fragrance may be overpowering
- This product can be greasy
11. Carol’s Daughter Almond Milk Leave-In Conditioner
Shout out to this all-natural leave-in conditioner for its ultra-nourishing and damage-repairing formula. Your daily routine can leave your hair, especially thick natural curls, severely damaged. This Almond Milk Leave-in Conditioner by Carol’s Daughter is a classic blend of all things natural. Infused with almond milk, aloe vera, shea butter, rice seed, and olive oil, your curls are in for a healing therapy daily. From short-cropped 4C curly hairstyles to 1C waves, it’s ideal for all. Treat your hair to the goodness of mother nature and watch it shine naturally.
- Organic leave-in conditioner
- Ultra-nourishing and repairs damaged hair
- Protects hair from daily damage
- Ideal for short-cropped 4C curly hair to 1C waves
- Formulated with natural ingredients
- Paraben, sulfate, petroleum, and mineral oil-free
- The product has a strong scent
- Not an intense moisturizing product
12. Marc Anthony Strengthening Grow Long Super-Fast Leave-in Conditioner
Who doesn’t want long, lustrous, and healthy-looking hair? But along comes brittleness and those stubborn knots that can drive your patience up the wall. And worse yet, the dryness leads to breakage, thus preventing hair growth. But Marc Anthony’s Strengthening Grow Long Super Fast Leave-in Conditioner is a godsend as it detangles, adds shine, and provides nourishment to your locks. Infused with the richness of caffeine, ginseng, and vitamin E, the super-creamy and velvety texture assures natural softness, superfast growth, and lustrous hair.
- Creamy, velvety texture that makes hair silky
- It protects hydrates, replenishes, and nourishes hair
- Promotes stronger, longer, and healthier hair
- Prevents breakage and split ends
- It does not add volume
- May not control frizzy hair
13. Paul Mitchell Full Circle Leave-In Treatment
Why keep those beautiful natural curls tied up in a bun or hair-tie? Don’t let the frizz and knots control your life. Paul Mitchell’s Full Circle Leave-in Treatment wants you to let loose and let those curls breathe. So creamy that it replenishes the curls and so lightweight that it doesn’t weigh your hair down. It controls hair friction, thus taming your tresses. No need to visit the salon to have a good hair day anymore as you can have it whenever you want with Paul Mitchell’s leave-in treatment.
- Hydrates hair
- Protects from daily damage
- Detangles and adds a bounce to the curls
- Applicable to both damp and towel-dried hair
- Not suitable for very curly and thick hair
14. Papaya & Pineapple Silky Leave-In Conditioner
Say yes to this fruity formula and bid farewell to dry and dull hair. This blend of papaya and pineapple is not only fantastic for curly hair but all other types of hair as well, even extensions! It deep moisturizes to give your hair a bouncy volume, eliminates split ends, prevents hair loss, and also repairs hair damage. Need we say more? Try it yourself to experience what this natural leave-in conditioner guarantees.
- Suitable for all types of hair
- Moisturizes and eliminates split ends
- Adds volume and prevent hair loss
- 100% vegan, paraben, and sulfate-free
- Has an overpowering fruity aroma
15. Arganicare Natural Haircare Macadamia Leave-in Conditioner
If there’s one thing naturalists swear by for good, smooth, and healthy hair, it is argan oil. Rich in moisturizing omega fatty acids, this leave-in conditioner by Arganicare assures intense hydration for dry and damaged hair. It conditions deeply and moisturizes the cuticles to bring back the natural texture of your hair. And it is versatile, effective, and is hailed as the best conditioner for color-treated hair. Formulated with macadamia oil and the nutrient-rich argan oil that treats your hair from the core, this conditioner is a must-have for those struggling to tame their frizzy locks.
- Rich in omega fatty acids that replenish hair
- Argan and macadamia oils assure an extensive moisturizing experience
- It provides deep conditioning that relaxes the frizz and flying hair
- To be applied in moderation to avoid greasiness
- Not suitable for very frizzy hair
16. Marc Anthony Bye Bye Frizz Silicone-Free Protecting Leave-in Conditioner
Is humidity driving your frizzy hair out of control? To bring back the shine and make your curls manageable, it is necessary to address this issue. Marc Anthony’s Bye Bye Frizz Protecting Leave-in Conditioner guarantees core treatment that curbs friction between strands of hair, nourishes the scalp, and makes your hair soft and supple. With the natural oils locked in and coconut oil extract moisturizing the cuticles, experience a new side of your hair. Free from silicone and sulfate, it also has a dual keratin formula that strengthens the hair from its roots.
- Blocks humidity, curbs frizzy hair
- Moisturizes the cuticles and strengthens the hair
- Silicone and sulfate-free
- Promotes hair growth and protects from damage
- The product does not detangle the hair
If you have curly hair, you know that it can be difficult to get it to behave. Whether your curls are frizzy, unruly, or just hard to manage, you may want to consider using a leave-in conditioner. There are a lot of options out there, so we’ve put together a guide to help you decide which one is best for your curls.
Things To Look For In Leave-In Conditioners For Curly Hair
- Ingredients: Look for a leave-in conditioner that contains natural ingredients like coconut oil, avocado oil, shea butter, or aloe vera. Avoid sulfates and parabens if possible as they act as toxins that can damage your hair over time. Look for a conditioner that contains hydrolyzed proteins or botanical extracts instead. Opt for ingredients with moisturizing properties to keep curly hair hydrated frizz-free.
- Lightweight formula: Curly hair can easily become weighed down by thick formulas, so choose something that is light enough to work well without making your curls feel greasy or oily.
- Protein content: Protein helps protect hair against damage and strengthens the strands. Look for a conditioner with at least 5% protein content if you want optimal results.
- pH level: When looking for a leave-in conditioner for curly hair, it is important to keep in mind two key factors, pH level and texture. Low pH level leave-in conditioners are ideal for curly hair because they maintain the scalp’s delicate balance of acidity and alkalinity while delivering needed hydration and conditioning.
Infographic: Leave-In Conditioner For Your Curly Locks
Leave-in conditioners are a must in your curly hair routine if you want to provide intense moisturization and keep your curls defined. Unlike regular conditioners, leave-ins are not washed off immediately and are used for longer-term moisturization and repair. Check out the below infographic to know how you can choose the right leave-in conditioner for your curls that will leave them soft and shiny.
Curly hair needs a little extra care, and to maintain your curls, you need the best leave-in conditioners. Leave-in conditioners are a must-have in your arsenal for defining your curls. The leave-in conditioners mentioned above will help retain the moisture in your hair while keeping it soft and shiny. They are free from all the synthetic chemicals, help to detangle knots, and tame frizzy hair. They also help to prevent breakage and split-ends. These leave-in conditioners will be your go-to whether you are rocking soft waves, spirals, or tight coils.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
Vaishnavi Kothuri, the author, is a hair care aficionado who loves to use leave-in conditioners for her hair. She prefers them because they retain the moisture in the hair while leaving it shiny and soft to touch. The list includes some of her favorites. She has reviewed multiple online forums and brand websites to recommend the best products to her readers. These conditioners also bring back the shine and reduce frizz.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is leave-in conditioner necessary for curly hair every day?
No, apply leave-in conditioner once or twice weekly for the best results. Your hair may experience weakness and damage if you apply a leave-in conditioner everyday.
Do you put a leave-in conditioner on wet or dry hair?
Apply a leave-in conditioner on damp hair. Do not apply it on extremely wet or dry tresses.
Should I use leave-in conditioner or curl cream?
You may use both leave-in conditioner and curl cream one after the other. While leave-in conditioners moisturize and nourish your tresses, curl creams usually add definition and enhance the shape of your curls.
How do you rehydrate and lock moisture in curly frizzy hair?
Use a hydrating shampoo and conditioner to moisturize and rehydrate your curls. You may also use other products like a moisturizing hair mousse, hydrating mist, or naturally-enriched hair oil.
How do you refresh your curls after sleeping?
Refresh your curls after sleeping by applying a leave-in conditioner which helps style your locks. The conditioner also combats frizziness, adds moisture, and helps smoothen your curls.
- Best Leave-in Conditioners
- Best Drugstore Conditioners For Curly Hair
- Best Natural Hair Conditioners
- Best Leave-in Conditioners For Dry And Damaged Hair