Have you spent a generous amount of time doing your makeup and getting it right, only to find it fading and creasing a few hours later? So disappointing, right? There exists a simple solution for your makeup to look flawless, every time – no cakey coverage, no melting, no creases, no fuss – all you need is a quick mist of your setting spay, and you’re good to go.
We’ve reviewed 15 makeup setting sprays that promise to make your makeup last longer on your skin and literally lock it in place. Want to know which one’s worth your money?
15 Best Makeup Setting Sprays To Keep Your Makeup On-Fleek
- Urban Decay All Nighter Long Lasting Setting Spray
- e.l.f. Matte Magic Mist & Set
- KIKO Milano Face Make Up Fixer
- Maybelline Superstay 24 Makeup-Locking Setting Spray
- Makeup Revolution Pro Fix Oil Control Fixing Spray
- L.A. Girl PRO High Definition Matte Finish Setting Spray
- Rimmel Insta Fix & Go Setting Spray
- Supergoop! Defense Refresh Setting Mist SPF 50
- L’Oreal Infallible Makeup Extender Setting Spray
- Bobbi Brown Face Mist
- MAC Prep & Prime Fix + Makeup Setting Spray
- GlamGlow Glowsetter Makeup Setting Spray
- NYX Professional Makeup Matte Finish Setting Spray
- Clinique Moisture Surge Face Spray Thirsty Skin Relief
- Pixi By Petra Makeup Fixing Mist
1. Urban Decay All Nighter Long Lasting Setting Spray
- Easy to use
- Made with temperature control technology
- Keeps makeup looking fresh for long hours
- Suitable for all skin types
Urban Decay All Nighter Long Lasting Setting Spray Review
On the topmost position, we have Urban Decay’s All Nighter Setting Spray, and it undoubtedly is the best for so many reasons! As its name suggests – your makeup does stay in place for up to 12 hours. It feels extremely comfortable to wear, and it also gives your skin an instant moisture boost. What we loved most about this product is that it adapts to any skin type and leaves your makeup looking fresh for the longest time. It also prevents your foundation from oxidizing and looking cakey. To add to that, it even smells heavenly. This one’s a must-try!
2. e.l.f. Matte Magic Mist & Set
- Infused with Vitamin B, E, and Arctium Majus Root to hydrate and soothe
- Comfortable to wear
- Cruelty-free and vegan
e.l.f. Matte Magic Mist & Set Review
We can’t believe that this makeup setting spray is actually priced at a mere $4! It’s incredible, and if you’re on the hunt for a budget-friendly, drugstore setting spray – this is your best bet! It’s enriched with rich ingredients that are so good for your skin, and it tremendously improves your makeup’s wearability while preventing it from fading or running. This is suitable for all skin types, and if you have oily skin, you will particularly love this more as it mattifies your skin and keeps your foundation from getting cakey. Way to go, e.l.f!
3. KIKO Milano Face Make Up Fixer
- Non-sticky formula
- Easy to apply
- Mild on the face
- Makes your skin look smoother
- The spray can leave your skin slightly uneven
KIKO Milano Face Make Up Fixer Review
Kiko Milano is a professional Italian cosmetics brand. It is a hit all over the world and its setting spray is no exception. This gorgeous looking product comes in an aerosol can, which is a brushed silver, and it’s the perfect size to carry in your handbag. It easily holds your makeup in place for up to 8 hours, and it definitely holds better when you wear a good quality primer. It provides immense protection against shininess. It’s formulated with cosmetic alcohol that evaporates instantly, allowing for your makeup to set beautifully. It’s great for normal to combination and oily skin. It also works for dry skin, thanks to its special Chamomile extract formula.
4. Maybelline Superstay 24 Makeup-Locking Setting Spray
- Oil-free formula
- Dries quickly
- Leaves your makeup looking matte
- Easy to use
- Too much product is required to get an even finish
Maybelline Superstay 24 Makeup-Locking Setting Spray Review
This setting spray by Maybelline notably extends the longevity of your makeup and locks it in place. It comes in a humble white bottle, and the spray does not feel sticky or tacky – it gets absorbed into the skin instantaneously. It also feels very refreshing on the skin. Maybelline has not specified the skin type that this product is suitable for. However, we found this to be ideal for extremely oily to a combination skin type as it’s very mattifying. If you have dry skin, we wouldn’t recommend trying this setting spray. Overall, it’s a budget-friendly drugstore option that gives great competition to the big brands.
5. Makeup Revolution Pro Fix Oil Control Fixing Spray
- Controls oil
- Easy to use
- Sturdy and travel-friendly packaging
- Contains ingredients like aloe vera, castor seed oil, and sunflower oil
- Very strong smell
Makeup Revolution Pro Fix Oil Control Fixing Spray Review
Makeup Revolution Pro Fix Oil Control Fixing Spray gives you that ‘just-applied’ makeup look for up to 12 hours. This one’s an oil controlling product, and it does contain alcohol, so make sure you do a patch test before you use it on your face if you have dry and sensitive skin. It does help reduce that powdery effect on the face and keeps makeup in place all day long. That’s not all – this spray works brilliantly when it comes to controlling shine. It’s most suited for normal, combination and oily skin types.
6. L.A. Girl PRO High Definition Matte Finish Setting Spray
- Lightweight and non-sticky
- Gives you that perfect glow
- The bottle is very tiny and won’t last you for long
L.A. Girl PRO High Definition Matte Finish Setting Spray Review
If you need help in preventing your makeup from having a meltdown and your face looking patchy in just a few hours of makeup application – this setting spray by L.A Girl does an amazing job to ensure nothing moves. Although it promises a matte finish, it gives your skin a rather dewy finish. It helps conceal the cakey finish of foundation, and your skin will look a lot less oily towards the end of the day. This will make a great makeup setting spray for the summers!
7. Rimmel Insta Fix & Go Setting Spray
- Easy to use
- Has a refreshing cucumber scent
- Can be used as a primer and setting spray
- Keeps your skin hydrated
- Locks makeup for as long as eight hours
- Its spray nozzle is a little tricky to work with
Rimmel Insta Fix & Go Setting Spray Review
This 2-in-1 makeup setting spray by Rimmel may be implemented beneath your makeup as a primer or as a setting spray to increase its longevity. It has a beautiful fragrance and is quick-drying. It prevents makeup from looking cakey and does not dry out your skin. Both ways, this does an exceptional job despite being so affordable. We highly recommend trying this setting spray if you’re looking for a multifunctional product to enhance your makeup’s staying power and make it look stunning!
8. Supergoop! Defense Refresh Setting Mist SPF 50
- Has a refreshing rosemary and mint fragrance
- SPF 50
- Sets makeup in place for long durations
- Comes in a handy travel-size packaging
- Does not make your skin appear dry and dull like most mattifying sprays
- May not control oil for extremely oily skin types.
Supergoop! Defense Refresh Setting Mist SPF 50 Review
Are you planning your summer vacay where you’ll be out and about in the sun a lot? It’s time you invest in this setting spray by Supergoop that comes with an SPF of 50! Even the most expensive cosmetics in the world can’t undo the effects of sun damage, so why not just prevent it? This is super easy to use, and it leaves your skin with a healthy, dewy glow. You needn’t carry around your tube of sunscreen lotion and go through all the hassle – just a spritz of this stuff through the day makes a huge difference. It also prevents your makeup from looking cakey and keeps it in place all day long. This one’s suitable for normal to combination and dry skin types.
9. L’Oreal Infallible Makeup Extender Setting Spray
- Easy to use
- Sets makeup to perfection
- Evaporates quickly after application
- Its nozzle sprays out a fine and even mist
- If you have dry skin, you will need to moisturize well as it’s slightly drying
L’Oreal Infallible Makeup Extender Setting Spray Review
L’Oreal’s Infallible Makeup Extender Spray holds a special place in our hearts as it can be compared to MAC’s setting spray. Yes, it’s as good! It comes in a black, rubberized, matte-finish bottle and its nozzle is superb! Spray it from a distance of about 10 cm away from your face, and you’re good to go. It does not feel icky or tacky when applied and dries up fast. It easily keeps your makeup looking fresh for about 7-8 hours. This one’s suitable for normal to combination and oily skin types as it tends to keep moisture away. This works well in favor of oily skin beauties. You gotta try it to believe it!
10. Bobbi Brown Face Mist
- Easy to use
- Leaves skin feeling hydrated
- Spray nozzle spritzes so evenly
- Travel-friendly packaging
- If you have sensitive skin, essential oils in its ingredients may irritate it
Bobbi Brown Face Mist Review
Bobbi Brown has a reputation for its insanely successful makeup line. This face mist is so hydrating, and it’s also multifunctional – from setting your makeup to refreshing it through the day. It does not leave your face sopping wet. Instead, it dries up quickly and has a lingering scent of sweet lavender and geranium, which is so refreshing. Although this is an expensive product, we highly recommend trying it as it will leave your skin feeling soft and hydrated. The best part? It works beautifully for all skin types!
11. MAC Prep & Prime Fix + Makeup Setting Spray
- Soothing and refreshing
- Contains hydrating properties
- Dermatologist tested
- Easy to use
MAC Prep & Prime Fix + Makeup Setting Spray Review
This lightweight mist of water is enriched with vitamins and minerals, infused with a blend of green tea, chamomile, and cucumber to gently soothe and refresh your skin. It adds an instant boost of hydration while delivering a soft, dewy sheen to set and refresh your makeup. This spray helps in leaving you with a natural finish and eliminating that powdery or cakey finish. It’s a must-have for dry skin beauties as it’s extremely moisturizing, but if you have oily skin, it’s best to give this a miss.
12. GlamGlow Glowsetter Makeup Setting Spray
- Easy to use
- Enriched with antioxidants
- Dries fast
- Allows you to re-blend makeup that’s already settled
- Can irritate very sensitive skin as it includes a combination of fragrant ingredients
GlamGlow Glowsetter Makeup Setting Spray Review
Wondering what the secret is to Hollywood stars’ eternal Red Carpet glow? Well, a lot of celebrities have called this their “favorite setting spray”. This takes the double as a makeup setting spray and a midday skin refresher. It’s loaded with three antioxidant-packed teas (green, white, and red) to soothe skin and fight any redness. It evaporates almost immediately and is also packed with caffeine to instantly refresh puffy and dull skin. This works for all skin types.
13. NYX Professional Makeup Matte Finish Setting Spray
- Easy to use
- Gives your makeup a natural finish
- Non-greasy formula
- Contains a high percentage of alcohol that tends to dry out your skin
NYX Professional Makeup Matte Finish Setting Spray Review
If you like a nice, mattifying look – this setting spray by NYX does the job so well. It also helps in eliminating shine and oil from the face. However, when we consider the longevity factor, it does not majorly increase the wear time of your makeup. It’s specifically designed for oily skin and would not suit other skin types (particularly if you have dry skin, steer clear). In a nutshell, this is a decent drugstore setting spray that you can try if you struggle with oiliness.
14. Clinique Moisture Surge Face Spray Thirsty Skin Relief
- Hydrates and repairs dry patches on skin
- Suitable for sensitive skin
Clinique Moisture Surge Face Spray Thirsty Skin Relief Review
Clinique is known for its gentle yet effective skin care products, and this multifunctional spray can be used before and after you finish your makeup. It replenishes your skin’s moisture levels while restoring balance. If you have dry skin, this spray will be your holy grail as it not only makes your skin appear supple and glowy but also helps in improving the health of your skin. Do give this a shot, especially if you have dry and sensitive skin!
15. Pixi By Petra Makeup Fixing Mist
- Makes your makeup last longer
- Your face won’t look greasy or oily
- Can be used to refresh your makeup through the day
- Its application is a little tricky
Pixi By Petra Makeup Fixing Mist Review
Want a gorgeous, dewy finish with a subtle glow to your skin? This setting spray by Pixi is enriched with ingredients like rose water, green tea, and castor oil. It smells wonderful and leaves your makeup looking fresh and natural. It works well with both liquid foundation and powder. It’s also gentle on the skin so if you have problematic skin that is prone to breakouts, you will love this!
Quick Tips To Choose The Best Setting Spray
Now that you’ve had a look at the best setting sprays to achieve flawless makeup that actually lasts – here’s your guide to selecting one and using it the right way.
Keep Your Skin Type In Mind
Before you decide to go purchase a makeup setting spray, choose one that suits your skin type.
- If you have dry skin, you will want to avoid products that contain alcohol, as they can dry out your skin even more. Instead, it’s best to opt for sprays with hydrating and moisturizing properties.
- For those of you with oily skin, look for an oil-free or mattifying setting spray.
- If you have combination skin, you can experiment with different setting sprays to find the one that works for your skin.
- If you have mature skin that is leaning towards the drier side – go easy on the setting powder and use a spray that has hydrating properties.
What’s The Weather Going To Be Like?
You need to consider the season and the weather – during hot and humid days, makeup tends to smear and melt off of your face (we’ve all been there). It’s best to choose a setting spray that is sweat-resistant and cooling for times like these. On the other hand, during winters, when your skin tends to be drier and lacks moisture, you can try a hydrating setting spray to make your makeup last longer and protect it against harsh, dry air.
Consider The ‘Finish’
This entirely depends on what you prefer. If you like the end result of your makeup to look matte and shine-free – pick a setting spray that’s specially designed to do so. If you want a more dewy effect – pick one that promises to deliver that finish.
Want An All Natural Setting Spray?
It’s not recommended to add water to your setting spray when it’s running out, but you can make your own setting spray at home if you like to keep it natural. Simply add one tablespoon of glycerin to half a cup of rose water and mix it well!
SPF Is Essential On Sunny Days
It’s always nice to have some extra protection on and what’s better than a makeup setting spray with SPF? Not only will it help your makeup look flawless but it will protect you from sunburns and other negative effects of staying out in the sun for too long.
Spray It On Your Makeup Tools!
Did you know that using a setting spray to dampen your makeup sponge can help you blend and smoothen your foundation all the more evenly? It also helps prevent your foundation from fading off over the course of a long day. You can also use a spritz on your eyeshadow brush and use the damp brush for application for a more opaque and bold color. It will also help the shadow stay in place all day without creasing. If you’re into contouring, you can spray your setting spray on a slanted brush for intense contouring that lasts all day long.
Locking Your Look!
This involves three simple steps:
- Shake your spray bottle just enough to mix it all up.
- Once you’ve finished your makeup (this includes your foundation, mascara, lipstick, powder, and all that you use), hold the bottle six to eight inches away from the face and spray the product all over your face and neck, so you get even and full coverage. It will take away any cakey or powdery effect that you have going on.
- Let the spray dry naturally – do not rub or meddle with your face right after you’ve sprayed on your setting spray as this will only mess up your makeup.
- You can reapply your setting spray through the day or whenever necessary to mattify your makeup or rehydrate your skin – depending on what product you’ve chosen.
*Subject to Availability
Nothing can replace a setting spray to achieve that fresh, dewy, flawless look that we all desire. That was our roundup of the 15 best makeup setting sprays. If you have a favorite, share with us in the comments section below.
- 10 Best Waterproof Makeup Products Available In India
- 6 Best Waterproof Makeup Products To Use While Swimming
- When Should You Throw Away Your Makeup Products?
- Top 10 Highlighter Makeup Products Available In India
Latest posts by Esha Saxena (see all)
- Acrylic vs. Gel vs. Shellac Nails: What’s The Difference? - March 7, 2019
- A Complete Guide To Eyelash Extensions - February 28, 2019
- Stage Makeup Tutorial - February 27, 2019
- How To Thin Out Nail Polish - February 26, 2019
- Cut Crease Makeup Tutorial - February 21, 2019