Wearing mascara on the top lashes is common, but the idea of wearing it on the bottom lashes may not be practiced by most women. And those who do may find it cumbersome to apply mascara on the lower lashes as they are tinier compared to the upper lashes.
Today you can get mascaras for bottom lashes that come with sleek wands and bristles, making application easier than ever before! If you, too, are skeptical about applying mascara on your bottom lashes, scroll through this list of the 11 best mascaras for the bottom. Plus, we also have a brief buying guide to help you buy the product that suits you best.
11 Best Mascara For Bottom Lashes That Can Enhance Your Look
Maybelline New York Lash Discovery Mascara comes with a lash-catching mini brush that can easily curl your bottom lashes from root to tip. This hypoallergenic mascara is ideal for lengthening and curling the bottom lashes. It is contact lens-safe, waterproof, and smudge-proof. The skinny brush of this mascara offers a defined and natural look.
- Covers the hard-to-reach lashes
- No clumps or globs
- Boosts volume of the lashes
- Features a non-sticky formula
- Multiple coats may make the lashes appear glued.
This mascara wand by Innisfree is designed to curl and lengthen your bottom lashes with perfection. Its micro 1.5 mm bristles neatly curl the lashes without clumping, offering a naturally defined look. Thus, if you are getting late for work and want to make your eyes wide awake, this is the mascara to use.
- Lasts all-day
- Highly pigmented
- Can be used on upper and lower lashes
- Provides a natural look
- The mascara may not hold the curl for an extended period.
3. It TIGHTLINE
If you think it is a difficult task to apply mascara on your bottom lashes without smearing, give this one a try. This 3-in-1 mascara features a thin brush that easily lengthens and curls the bottom lashes. The best thing about this rich black mascara is that it can be used as an eyeliner, and black lash primer as well. It effortlessly delivers pigment on each lash for a fuller-looking lash line. Plus, the thin wand allows the formula infused with biotin, jojoba oil, proteins, and various nourishing ingredients to condition your lashes.
- Gets to the base of all the lashes
- Doesn’t smudge or flake
- Effortlessly coats the tiny lashes
- Lasts for hours
- The mascara may not be 100% waterproof.
The innovative, skinny wand of this mascara coats your lashes from the roots to offer a lash-lengthening effect. This smudge-proof mascara comes with a formula that resists smears and lasts for hours. You can simply add a touch of pigment to your bottom eyelashes without affecting your lash line with this black mascara. Hence, it is the best mascara for lower lashes.
- Easily removable with warm water
- 100% fragrance-free
- Paraben-free and allergy-tested
- Tested by ophthalmologists
- May make thin lashes feel stiff.
As the name suggests, this is one of the most iconic and highly pigmented mascaras available in the market right now. This mascara offers intense length to the lower as well as upper lashes. Its creamy formula separates every lash without making them look waxy. This lower lash mascara is also safe for contact lens wearers and those with sensitive eyes as it is tested by ophthalmologists and allergy-tested.
- Voluminous mascara
- Boosts volume while covering the tiniest lash
- Creamy formula for smooth application
- Dual precision brush for lash separation
- Makes the lashes look up to 60% longer
- May not be waterproof.
This waterproof mascara comes with an easy-to-remove formula that makes your lashes look longer, denser, and curlier. The rich pigment instantly makes your eyes look bright. Plus, the product is fragrance-free, ophthalmologist-tested, allergy-tested, and safe to use. Simply apply the mascara from the roots to the tips for full-length coverage of your lower lashes.
- Defines lashes in minutes
- Long-lasting product
- Great shelf life
- Curated for sensitive eyes
- Provides great volume
- May not be 100% smear-proof
The ultra-coating brush of this mascara is engineered to coat each lash on your bottom lash line. This water-resistant mascara prevents smudging and smearing. This lengthening mascara dries quickly and requires no touch-ups for hours.
- Cruelty-free product
- Phthalate, parabens, and sulfate-free
- Provides intense thickening effect to the lashes
- Rich pigment
- Some may find the brush too skinny.
Estee Lauder offers this lower lash mascara that coat your lashes with its unique smudge-shield formula. This mascara is formulated with polymer locks to make the lashes look highly pigmented and gorgeous. It separates the lower lashes without smudging and makes them feel lightweight. The best thing about this mascara is that it is resistant to high temperature, perspiration, and humidity.
- Microfiber bristles for deep combing
- Detangles the lashes easily
- Fragrance-free product
- Offers glossy and intense color
- Multiple coats may make it look clumpy.
Give your tiny lashes some attention with this Givenchy Eyes Mascara, designed especially for the bottom lashes. The mascara is built to lengthen, curl, and thicken the lashes without clumping. Its new formula provides volume with every stroke and leaves the lashes intact for hours. Plus, the lash-building brush effectively separates each lash and volumizes them within minutes.
- Great shelf life
- Quick-dry formula
- Conditioning and nourishing formula
- Also suitable for straight lashes
- Infused with microfibers that offer a lengthening effect
- May weigh your lashes down
The applicator of this mascara beautifully tight lines the shortest and tiniest lashes within seconds. The mascara pigments the lashes from root to tips and defines them exquisitely. If you have sparse lashes, this mascara fills in the gaps and makes your lashes look fuller and denser. If you have thin and flat lashes, the ergonomic brush of the mascara lifts and curls the lashes for a perfect look.
- Features an ultra-thin brush
- Smudge and smear-proof formula
- Features tubing mascara formula
- Provides a dramatic look with multiple coats
- Safe for sensitive eyes
- May clump the lashes.
The rich and creamy formula of Terrybly Mascara Haute Croissance makes it absolutely worth buying. It is formulated with hyaluronic acid, plant protein, collagen, and other conditioning agents that boost lash growth, strengthen lashes, and prevent them from falling. It also features a wiggle brush that effortlessly glides through the lashes to create volume and length.
- Provides serum-like treatment
- Offers intense definition
- Highly pigmented
- Smudge and flake-proof
- Doesn’t clump or stick
- Easy to apply and remove
- Some may find the formula thick.
Mentioned above are the 11 best mascaras for bottom lashes. If you are still confused about which one to buy here is an informative buying guide that can help you make your decision.
How To Choose The Best Mascara For Bottom Lashes
As we have discussed earlier, there are several mascaras designed specifically for the lower lashes. Here are certain things to consider while buying bottom lash mascaras:
Design of the brush
The lower lash mascaras come with uniquely designed tiny brushes. These microfiber brushes are designed to apply mascara without smudging. The brushes with tiny bristles smoothly glide through the lower lashes and offer length and curl to lashes. Plus, the sleek wand reaches the lashes without hurting your eye or the skin under your eyes. Thus, a mascara with a microfiber brush is ideal for bottom lashes.
Formula of the mascara
Another important factor to keep in mind while buying mascara for bottom lash is the formula. You need mascara with a creamy and waterproof formula that prevents smudging. The smudge-proof formula is generally lightweight and highly pigmented. Plus, it can never make your lashes look clumped or sticky. Some mascaras come with nourishing formulas and are enriched with hyaluronic acid, protein, microfibers, etc. to strengthen the lashes and prevent lash loss.
How To Apply Mascara To The Bottom Lashes
Want to make your lashes pop? Here are the steps to correctly apply mascara to the bottom lashes:
- Dip the mascara wand into the bottle to coat it with the pigment. Lay the applicator flat, close to the roots of your lashes.
- Start painting the lashes from the roots, in the outward direction.
- Apply the mascara in a curling fashion to instantly provide a lengthening and curling effect.
- Don’t apply more than 2 coats to the bottom lash as it can make the lashes look clumpy and unnatural.
- If your hands shake while applying the mascara, use a spoon or any accessory as a shield to protect your under-eye skin.
- Once applied, clean up the under-eye skin with a tissue if the mascara has smudged.
Tips To Get Bold And Beautiful Bottom Lashes With Mascara
- If you want to make the mascara last long, apply a primer first. A primer makes your mascara remain intact for hours and look lengthier.
- Many women complain about smudging mascaras, which can run over your entire makeup. To prevent smudging, always use waterproof mascara.
- For making your lashes look more voluminous, apply the mascara from side to side. You can learn this technique by watching video tutorials from any makeup artist.
- If your mascara smudges or clumps, use an eyeliner stick and glide the mascara through the lower lash line.
- Don’t use oil-based or creamy concealers under the eyes. Greasy concealers can make the mascara smudge and smear.
It’s quite tricky to find mascara for those tiny bottom lashes. Not all mascaras work well on the lower lashes, making the need for a dedicated lower lash mascara felt, to make your bottom lashes look fuller. These above given are the factors that you can keep in mind if you are willing to invest in a mascara for lower lashes. Plus, you could consider the 11 best mascaras for bottom lashes mentioned above to get the results you so desire!
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Is it bad to put mascara on your bottom lashes?
No. applying mascara on the upper lashes is the same as applying mascara to the lower lashes as long as you use the correct mascara. Always pick a smudge-proof mascara and apply it without poking or hurting your eyes or skin. If you choose a mascara with skin-friendly ingredients and learn to apply it properly, it’s no more dangerous to apply mascara on lower lashes.
Could I use liquid eyeliner as a mascara for my bottom lashes?
If you use liquid eyeliner as a mascara, chances are, it may smear and ruin your entire makeup. Liquid eyeliners are generally runny and are designed to pigment the lash line. Thus, for best results, it is recommended to use a mascara that is designed for lower lashes.
Why does mascara look bad on my bottom lashes?
Mascara on the bottom lashes may look bad if you apply multiple coats. Layering the mascara can make the lashes look clumpy and overdone. Thus, if you want a natural and rich look, apply 1-2 coats of mascara to the bottom lashes, and it looks beautiful.
How can I make my bottom lashes stand out?
To make your bottom lashes stand out, use a mascara with a long, thinner brush and apply 1-2 coats of the mascara to your bottom lashes. This enhances the color and length of your bottom lashes, making them pop. Also, applying mascara makes the lashes look curled and brighter.
- 13 Best Mascaras For Short Lashes Of 2020
- 15 Best Lengthening Mascaras For Long, Fluttery Lashes
- 8 Best Mascaras For Thin Lashes Reviews of 2020
- Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara Ingredients
- 13 Best Korean Mascaras Of 2020 For Beautiful And Long Lashes
Latest posts by Atulya Satishkumar (see all)
- 15 Best Hydrating Face Mists For Refreshed Skin In 2021 - April 6, 2021
- Say Hello To Summer With The 15 Best Sunscreens For Kids - March 30, 2021
- The 9 Best Japanese Toners Of 2021 - March 17, 2021
- The 10 Best Lotions for Psoriasis of 2021 – Our Top Picks - March 15, 2021
- 15 Best Hair Masks For Blonde Hair - March 6, 2021