If you have two minutes but need to make your face look like you haven’t just rolled out of bed, what can you do to achieve an instantly great look? The easiest and quickest way to make your face look presentable is to grab your favorite mascara and get to action. You can also go that extra mile and prep your eyes with the best mascara primer you can get your hands on (we’ll get to our top mascara primer picks in just a short moment).
Mascaras are sought after for their eyelash lengthening and intensifying qualities and are particularly important if you want to draw attention to your eyes. If you desire extra thick and long lashes, you need to find the best mascara primer; one that feels tailor-made for you. Ready to find the perfect mascara primer for yourself? Let’s take a look at 15 of the best mascara primers for full coverage of 2020.
Top 15 Best Mascara Primers For Flawless Lashes In 2020
This eyelash primer is one of best mascara primers for full-coverage. To add more definition and depth to your eyelashes, a single coat of this lash primer can go a long way in making your eyes look more alluring. It adds noticeable volume and length instantly prepping your eyes for mascara. Specially formulated to resist clumping, it adds five times more thickness to your lashes. This white volume mascara primer conditions and volumizes your lashes while softening it as well. It also helps you achieve thicker-looking lashes in four weeks of regular use. It is the best eyelash primer.
- Doesn’t clump on the lashes
- Instantly thickens lashes by up to five times
- Conditions and softens the lashes
- Thicker-looking lashes in four weeks
- Suitable for sensitive eyes
- May not curl your lashes properly if you don’t have naturally curled lashes
You should consider this mink-brown tinted lash primer to do the job if you don’t enjoy applying a white mascara primer. Made of a water-resistant and long-lasting gel formula, this eyelash primer helps you color and prime your lashes while adding length. As it is infused with pro-vitamin B5, it works actively towards conditioning your lashes, making them look naturally thick and voluminous. It comes with a custom ExtraFlex brush, which separates lashes, making them look fuller and more defined. This primer can either be used as a mascara base or as mascara itself.
- Water-resistant tinted formula
- Conditions lashes with pro-vitamin B
- Mink-brown in color
- Custom ExtraFlex brush
- Can be used as a mascara
- Suitable for all skin tones
- May not be suitable for people with extremely sensitive eyes
A good way to ensure that you are on the right path of stimulating eyelash growth is by investing in a product that conditions your lashes. This lash extender contains algae extracts which keeps it conditioned and helps in adding length and thickness to your lashes while strengthening them. A single coat of this mascara primer gives your lashes dramatic thickness. It can also be used on your eyebrows to make them look fuller and defined, or as a lightweight mascara. No matter what your skin tone, it will work wonders for you.
- Contains wheat protein and radish extracts
- The unique brush separates each lash to make it look fuller
- Conditions the lashes
- Can be used on the eyebrows
- Can be used as a mascara
- It contains boric acid which may irritate sensitive eyes
Do you want luscious, thick eyelashes for days? If your answer is affirmative, consider this primer. This primer by Grande Cosmetics is arguably the best mascara primer in white, which is infused with mini fibers that don’t cause flaking. It also contains peptides that help in increasing the longevity of the mascara’s wear. The natural soft waxes (which include beeswax) help in keeping your lashes conditioned and supple. This helps prevent breakage while the hard waxes such as carnauba wax make the lashes firmer for a better hold. This formula is water-resistant and doesn’t smudge. It is the best waterproof mascara primer.
- Waterproof primer
- Tiny fibers prevent flaking
- Contains peptides that make the mascara stay on longer
- Contains soft wax and hard waxes
- Ophthalmologist-tested and approved
- The mascara has to be applied right after the primer. Otherwise, it is hard to cover up the white color.
- It tends to dry up quickly if not stored properly.
One of the biggest concerns women have when buying a lash primer comes from the wand. They wonder why they are designed to be thick, especially when its main purpose is to separate each lash, giving them the illusion of being thicker and more defined. If you share the same sentiment, this 3-in-1 black primer will be the best mascara primer for you! The ergonomic design of the thin spoolie makes it suitable for the application of the base mascara primer, mascara, and eyeliner. Infused with biotin, proteins, hydrolyzed-collagen, and peptide-infused lash serum, it also boasts of anti-aging properties.
- 3-in-1 product
- Thin and easy-to-use wand
- It is not waterproof
- Slightly expensive for the quantity
With a name as telling as this one, it would be disappointing if it didn’t live up to its name, isn’t it? This white mascara primer does exactly what it claims. When applied from root to tip, it instantly makes your lashes look longer, settling perfectly on each eyelash. Although it is a rich and creamy formula, it doesn’t feel heavy on the lashes. Infused with conditioning ingredients like argan, jojoba, and coconut oils, it also strengthens the lashes. For best results, wait for 30 seconds to apply mascara after coating your lashes with this volume-boosting lash primer.
- Instantly makes lashes look longer
- Lightweight formula
- Contains argan, jojoba, and coconut oils
- May not be waterproof
Why buy a mascara base and a mascara separately when you can have the best of both worlds in one high-quality product? This 2-in-1 product features a primer and a mascara in one stick. Unlike many primers available in the market in either white or black, this one is blue. The pigments present in the primer helps black mascara stand out and thickens it as well. The flexible wand comes with bendable bristles that coat from root to tip to provide a clump-free look. It can also be used on the lower lashes.
- 2-in-1 mascara with primer
- Highly-pigmented blue colored primer
- Good value for money
- The duo may make the ends of the lashes look bulbous and not tapered
Flutter your eyes away like they do in the movies with the help of this mascara primer that stretches your lashes. Yes, it not just thickens and adds volume to your lashes, but also stretches them with its magnetic technology. Infused with carnauba wax, this primer lengthens the lashes to prep them for a seamless mascara application. It also contains panthenol and sunflower seed oil, which conditions the lashes and prevents breakage. When applied to the upper and lower lashes, it provides unbeatable length.
- Uses magnetic technology to stretch lashes
- Contains sunflower seed oil for deep conditioning
- May get clumpy upon heavy application
Let your mascara reach its full potential by applying this buildable primer as a base product. A single undercoat of this product will make your lashes look thicker and make your mascara last longer. We tend to forget that our lashes need some love too. Harsh chemicals and cleansing agents often take a toll on our lashes, leaving them dry and brittle. This white mascara primer contains moisturizing ingredients that condition and improve the overall texture of your lashes. It comes with a unique polymer formula that makes your mascara last longer.
- Reduces dryness in lashes
- Creamy formula
- Tends to get clumpy if applied in excess
Not only is this lash primer incredibly cute, but it’s equally effective too. The buildable formula of this base primer will instantly make your lashes look several times thicker than they naturally do. Infused with nourishing ingredients such as acai oil and mango butter, it also helps in conditioning the lashes. You can apply a single coat of this lash primer for a subdued look or extra coats if you are going for a more dramatic look. For best results, apply mascara within 30 seconds of using this primer.
- Buildable formula
- Contains acai oil and mango butter
- Some may find the formula slightly thick
According to a recent study conducted by Tarte, each and every participant said that this lash primer made their eyes look more open. Infused with skin rejuvenating ingredients, this primer is considered to be one of the best mascara primers for thick and natural-looking lashes. It contains carnauba wax that aids in flawless application, olive esters that condition and protects the lashes, and vitamin C that helps fight free radicals. A unique element about this lash primer is the revolutionary 360° magniLASH brush, which separates every eyelash for ease of application. Made without parabens, this lash primer is safe for contact lens wearers as well.
- Contains vitamins and other nourishing ingredients
- 360° brush
- White-tinted lash primer
- Dermatologist and ophthalmologist-tested
- Mineral oil-free
- The packaging of waterproof and non-waterproof variants can be difficult to differentiate.
Sculpt your lashes into long, thick, and voluminous ones by applying a coat of this lash primer before mascara. It contains collagen which helps in adding to the volume of your lashes and nano-peptide complex which keeps them nourished. With its thickening microfibers, you will instantly notice that your lashes are stretched and extended. The brush has large and perfectly placed soft bristles that separate each eyelash, making your eyes look more open.
- Contains collagen for volume
- Nano-peptide complex nourishes the lashes
- Comes with thickening microfibers
- Slightly expensive
Improve your eye makeup or simply enhance your look for the day with this nourishing and conditioning drugstore mascara primer. A creamy but lightweight formula that clings to your lashes without clumping or feeling heavy, this base primer holds the secret to long and thick lashes. It comes with an ultra-thickening formula that promotes length and volume. Coupled with a double-lush brush, you can easily curl your lashes with this MAC maximizer before applying mascara. Although it is a white mascara primer and appears white upon application, it dries quickly to reveal a semi-clear base. If you like trying out contact lenses in different colors, you’re in luck as it’s completely safe for contact lens wearers. It is the best drugstore eyelash primer.
- Conditions the lashes
- Creamy eyelash primer
- Thickening formula
- Comes with double-lush brush
- The product tends to accumulate at the opening of the tube and thickest area of the brush
Don’t we just adore a product that is easy to apply and is equally easy to wipe off? Formulated especially to condition, strengthen, and volumize your eyelashes, this primer goes that extra mile to provide nourishment as well. A single coat of this primer will help your mascara settle better, giving way for an amplified effect. The soft bristles of the brush coat each and every eyelash from root to tip, in one smooth stroke. Clean-up is as easy as pie as it can be washed away with the mascara with some lukewarm water. This primer is also free from parabens, fragrances, and oils. It is the best lash primer.
- Volumizes and curls eyelashes
- Easy to apply and wipe off
- May not be smudge-proof
Cute, compact, and well-packaged, this little gem can elevate your eyelash game in a matter of minutes. Now you can achieve long and voluminous lashes that you’ve always desired with this mascara primer that lifts your eyelashes like no other! It separates and defines your lashes while allowing the mascara to stay on longer. A translucent mascara formula, it is also buildable. With this primer, you can expect a flawless finish without any spiking or clumping.
- Conditions the eyelashes
- Doesn’t clump
- Some may not like the thin brush
Now let’s take a look at the buying guide to help you choose the right primer.
A Helpful Buying Guide For The Best Mascara Primer
What Does A Mascara Primer Do?
A mascara primer preps the eyelashes for mascara, but that’s not all it does. It also strengthens, thickens, and adds volume to lashes, making them look fuller and longer. Some primers condition and nourish eyelashes, while others use magnetic technology to stretch the lashes, making them look naturally longer.
How To Choose Mascara Primers
Before settling on a mascara eyelash primer, you should keep these following points in mind:
- Look for a primer that is creamy yet lightweight. A creamy formula helps make the eyelashes look extremely thick.
- Invest in a nourishing and conditioning formula as it prevents eyelashes from becoming brittle.
- A buildable.voluminous mascara primer is beneficial, especially if you want full coverage on some days and a subtle eye on others.
- As our eyes are sensitive, it is important to choose a product that contains natural ingredients and is preferably free from parabens, sulfate, mineral oils, and fragrances.
- The wand or the spoolie also makes a huge difference when it comes to choosing a mascara primer. Pick one with soft bristles that can reach each eyelash and separate it properly.
Let us now understand how to apply a mascara primer.
How To Apply Mascara Primer?
Step 1: Start with a clean face. Wash your face and eyes properly, ensuring that no residues of the previous day’s makeup are left behind.
Step 2: Pump the wand of the mascara primer a few times inside the tube.
Step 3: Take the wand out and wipe off the excess product on the opening of the tube.
Step 4: Apply the primer from under the lashes, curling it upwards. Start from the root to the tip. Don’t apply too much product to avoid clumping.
Step 5: Wait for 30 seconds.
Step 6: Apply mascara and ensure that you have concealed all of the mascara primer.
Ask any professional makeup artist and they will tell you that mascara always looks significantly better with a base primer. But, not just any primer will do, you need the best mascara primer to do the job for you. Not only does a primer prepare your lashes for a smooth coat of mascara, but it also makes your eyes look bigger. We’d also love to know which is your favorite primer. Reach out to us in the comments and let us know which mascara primer you use and why.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Does mascara primer really work?
If you know how to use it well, yes, it does work. It adds volume, thickness, and length to your eyelashes while preparing them for mascara. It also makes the mascara last longer.
What is the best drugstore mascara primer?
The L’Oreal Paris Voluminous Base Primer Base, It Cosmetics Tightline Mascara Primer, and Blinc’s Lash Primer are some of the best drugstore mascara primers. You may refer to the list above to find out more about the best drugstore mascara primers.
Is a lash primer good for your lashes?
Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. So, moderation is the key. When lash primers are not used in excess, they can be good for the lashes. They give your lashes a fuller and thicker appearance, and most good-quality mascara primers also nourish and condition the lashes.
Can you wear eyelash primers without mascara?
Yes, some people use a primer as an alternative to mascara. However, if you are using a white mascara base, it is better to coat it with black mascara.
- 13 Best Drugstore Tubing Mascaras For Long Eyelashes
- 11 Best Conditioning Mascaras That Make Your Eyelashes Grow
- 13 Best Mascaras For Short Lashes Of 2020
- 13 Best Curling Mascaras Of 2020 For Thick And Voluminous Lashes
Latest posts by Sneha Manandhar (see all)
- 15 Best V-Neck T-Shirts For Women In 2020 - October 13, 2020
- 11 Best Women’s Cycling Pants In 2020 - October 13, 2020
- 7 Best Tarte Foundations – Our Top Picks For 2020 - October 12, 2020
- 11 Best Bronzers For Sensitive Skin For A Summer-Like Glow - October 12, 2020
- 15 Best Workout Headbands For Women In 2020 - October 12, 2020