A foundation plays a vital role for a full face of makeup. If you want an even-toned complexion and camouflage all the blemishes, you need the right shade of foundation that complements your skin tone. Foundations are available in liquid, stick, and mousse formulations, and if you are looking for a matte finish, the best mousse foundations will be your best pick.
A mousse foundation (aka whipped foundation) glides smoothly and effortlessly on application and blends seamlessly with your skin while leaving a matte finish. It conceals blemishes, fine lines, aging signs and does not look cakey. You can easily carry it along with you when out and about as it is easy to apply.
Keep reading to check out the 13 top-rated mousse foundations that will offer a flawless finish and shine control.
In This Article
13 Best Mousse Foundations
1. Best Lightweight Formula: Maybelline New York Dream Satin Liquid Foundation
The Maybelline New York Dream Satin Liquid Foundation gives a poreless refined airbrushed look with a flawless finish. It is light in texture, hypoallergenic, and dermatologically-tested. It is formulated with hyaluronic acid that moisturizes the skin and leaves no cakey appearance. It provides almost 16-hours of buildable coverage. The foundation is suitable for all skin types.
- Provides day-long coverage
- Leaves skin soft and smooth
- Multiple shades
- Shades could be too dark
2. Best For Pore Minimization: Elizabeth Arden New York Mousse Foundation
The Elizabeth Arden New York Mousse Foundation is lightweight. It gives sheer coverage with a naturally flawless finish. The airy, breathable mousse provides a brighter complexion. It is dermatologically-tested. It is best suited for people looking for a natural look. The foundation minimizes pore size and offers a flawlessly smooth base.
- Natural finish
- Complexion correction formula
3. Best Oil-Free Formula: Revlon Photoready Airbrush Mousse Makeup
The Revlon Photoready Airbrush Mousse Makeup offers a poreless, healthy-looking complexion. It blends smoothly with the skin tone for a flawless finish. The creamy, lighter foundation contains photochromatic pigments that bend and reflect light to minimize flaws and imperfections. The foundation is oil-free and fragrance-free. It is suited for use indoors and outdoors, and for people facing cameras. The nozzle in the bottle makes it easy to use. The foundation stays for almost five to six hours.
- Photochromatic pigments minimize flaws
- Suitable indoors and outdoors
- Awful smell
- May feel greasy
4. Best Moisturization: 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Tinted Moisturizer
The 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Tinted Moisturizer is a mousse foundation made with aloe and cucumber juice that offer all-day long hydration. It is also infused with organic white tea, acai, and pomegranate oil that quench skin dryness and leave it looking plump. The foundation is packed with vitamins and antioxidants from fruits that nurture and nourish the skin. It also protects the skin from environmental and chemical aggressors. The smooth, lightweight formula is pigmented with cocoa and fruit extract that provide light to medium coverage and a dewy finish. The foundation is non-greasy and non-comedogenic. It blurs the signs of aging too.
- Moisturizes skin
- Packed with vitamins and antioxidants
- Maintains a dewy finish
- Available in different shades
- Not suitable for oily skin
5. Best Blendable Coverage: Black Radiance Color Perfect HD Mousse Foundation
The Black Radiance Color Perfect HD Mousse Foundation contains high pigments that offer medium to full coverage. This long-wearing foundation is formulated with melanin that enhances complexion and leaves skin feeling flawless. It transforms from a creamy, rich mousse to a feather-light powder while blending with the skin. You will get a color perfect full HD finish with a luxurious glow.
- Oil-free cream-to-powder formula
- Blendable coverage
- Creamy, rich texture
- Complexion correction formula
- Available in 6 different shades
- May dry the skin out
6. Best Non-Comedogenic: Rimmel London Liquid Mousse Foundation
The Rimmel London Liquid Mousse Foundation blends quickly with the skin tone for a naturally flawless finish. It provides all-day shine control. The silky-smooth formula leaves an airbrushed look with a baby-soft texture. It won’t feel heavy or cakey on the skin. It is non-comedogenic and minimizes imperfections.
- Provides a full coverage
- Provides a baby-soft finish
- No cakey appearance
7. Best Vegan Formula: M.Asam Magic Finish Makeup Mousse
Conceal your dark circles with the M.Asam Magic Finish Makeup Mousse. This mousse instantly reduces the appearance of pores, pigmentation, wrinkles, and redness. It offers a natural and smooth finish and adapts to light-medium skin tone. In addition, this mousse is a 4-in-1 product, and you can use it as a foundation, concealer, primer, and makeup. The silky consistency of the product offers an even-looking complexion without any cracks or cakey feel.
- Glides smoothly
- May not go well with fair skin
8. Best For Medium Skin Tone: Lavera Natural Makeup Mousse
The Lavera Natural Makeup Mousse glides effortlessly on the skin, leaving a naturally flawless finish. It is ideally suited for a medium skin tone. This smooth mousse is formulated with organic sunflower oil and shea butter that offer a protective barrier. They also nourish and rejuvenate the skin. The organic seabuckthorn and organic mallow extract calm and soothe irritated skin. The antioxidant-rich organic argan oil and vitamin E in the foundation protect the skin from harmful aggressors.
- 100% vegan
- Blended with natural ingredients
- Suitable for medium skin tone
- A natural-looking complexion
9. Best Extra-Matte Finish: Christian Dior Forever Perfect Mousse
The Christian Dior Forever Perfect Mousse ensures a long-lasting, extra matte-finish that provides light, non-powder coverage. This lightweight mousse blends seamlessly with the skin tone and leaves an extra-matte, non-cakey finish. It is formulated with polymer-enriched ingredients that provide silky softness. The foundation offers 16-hour long makeup wear. It minimizes pore size and blurs imperfections.
- Provides light coverage
- Extra-matte finish
- Reduces pore size
- No cakey residue
10. Best For Casual Makeup Look: Golden Rose Mousse Foundation
The Golden Rose Mousse Foundation is ultra-lightweight and air-whipped. It instantly turns into powder and gives perfect silky and smooth skin. It blends with the skin tone effortlessly for a soft and smooth finish. The special micro-pigments in the foundation offer the ideal coverage needed for all-day makeup wear.
- Turns into powder instantly
- Blends easily
- Provides perfect coverage
- Long-lasting makeup wear
11. Best Cruelty-Free Formula: Haleys Re:Veal Mousse Makeup
The Haleys Re:Veal Mousse Makeup flawless coverage, lightens blemishes, and softens the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. It is formulated with high-quality organic ingredients like vitamin E and hyaluronic acid that hydrate and revitalize the skin. The antioxidants in vitamin E protect the skin from environmental toxins and leave the skin with a youthful radiance.
- Weightless formula
- Blends easily with the skin tone
- Perfect for oily skin
- Artificial fragrance-free
12. Best Anti-Aging Benefits: Mirenesse Cosmetics High Cover Mousse Foundation
The Mirenesse Cosmetics High Cover Mousse Foundation is oil-free, hydrating, and lightweight. It never settles into the fine lines and wrinkles. It gives one a flawless finish. It is formulated with organic glycerin, silica, and vitamin E that deeply nourish, hydrate, rejuvenate, and protect the skin from harmful toxins. The foundation provides a protective barrier to the skin and leaves an ultra-soothing natural texture. It is ideal for ‘selfie’ makeup that looks perfect in each click. It works perfectly for combination to oily skin types. The visiblur effect, a new and innovative pigment technology, reflects and refracts light away from the fine lines and other dark areas – offering a smoother skin tone.
- Hydrates skin
- Offers a protective barrier
- Perfect for clicking pictures
- No cakey appearance
- No settling down in the lines and wrinkles
- Easily blends
- Visiblur effect for smooth skin
13. Best Long-Lasting Effect: Coty Beauty NYC Smooth Skin Mousse Foundation
The Coty Beauty NYC Smooth Skin Mousse Foundation gives fantastic coverage, lasts long, blends well, is light to wear, and stays put very well. It is infused with pro-vitamin B5 that seals moisture for an airbrushed look. The foundation’s oil-absorbing properties help give a matte look. The foundation stays on for as long as 9 hours.
- Long-lasting coverage
- Blends well with the skin tone
- Soft and smoothing
- Brings a matte finish
- Stays on for about 9 hours
These are the top-quality mousse foundations that offer an airbrushed look and a matte finish. In the following section, we have discussed how you can apply a mousse foundation.
How To Apply A Mousse Foundation
- Prep your skin and follow your regular skincare regime (cleansing, toning, and moisturizing).
- Apply a makeup primer for long-lasting makeup.
- Choose a mousse foundation shade as per your skin tone. Take your index finger and dip it into the product. You should have just enough foundation to coat the tip of your finger lightly.
- Apply the foundation to your forehead, cheekbones, nose, and chin. Dab the product lightly to blend perfectly with the skin tone.
- Apply the concealer and setting powder for a matte look and a bright finish.
Though a powder foundation is popular too, a mousse foundation has its own advantages. We have discussed the same in the next section.
Why Should You Buy A Mousse Foundation?
- Besides providing brilliant coverage and a super weightless feel to your skin, a mousse foundation also makes the texture of your skin feel velvety smooth and silky.
- A mousse foundation helps absorb excess oil and provides an all-day shine-control matte finish. This allows for long-lasting makeup wear.
- A mousse foundation is non-comedogenic. It also hydrates and rejuvenates the skin.
There are several mousse foundations on the market. The following buying guide should help you make a wise purchase decision.
What Should You Look For When Buying A Mousse Foundation?
- Choose an oil-free, non-greasy formula for a perfect airbrushed finish. The foundation should be non-comedogenic and minimize the pore size.
- Check for the natural, invigorating ingredients. The foundation should contain hyaluronic acid, aloe vera, and organic glycerin to ultra-nourish the skin.
- The foundation should be able to provide at least 12 hours of makeup wear for long-lasting performance.
- The mousse foundation should be free from harmful chemicals and irritants.
In order to create a flawless makeup look, you need to have a perfect base, and nothing can provide that better than the best mousse foundations. These products are designed to give full coverage and cover all the imperfections and blemishes on your skin. They offer even skin toned skin, glides smoothly on the skin’s surface, and blends easily to hide blemishes and aging signs like wrinkles and fine lines. In addition, these products are non-comedogenic, lightweight, and oil-free. Some of these formulas provide lasting coverage while the others ensure a natural-looking finish. They also have moisturizing qualities and are available in numerous shades that suit different skin tones. Consider skin tone, ingredients, and lasting power before investing in a mousse foundation.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
Holding a certificate in makeup artistry, Baishali Bhattacharya, the author of this article, covers makeup-related topics. Her articles are backed by thorough research and contain quality products. She scoured numerous websites to bring you this list of the best mousse foundations for an airbrushed finish. You will find elaborate descriptions of each product for your convenience. In addition, she also provided a buying guide consisting of all the important factors to look for in an ideal mousse foundation.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a mousse foundation used for?
A mousse foundation is used for achieving non-cakey, seamless makeup wear.
What skin type is a mousse foundation suitable for?
A mousse foundation is suitable for all skin types. However, it is a perfect choice for combination or oily skin types.
Which is better – a liquid foundation or mousse?
A mousse foundation is always the best pick. It provides long-day makeup wear. It also is smudge-free and offers a seamless finish.
What is the best way to apply the mousse foundation?
Follow these steps while applying mousse foundation:
Can we use mousse foundation daily?
Yes. Mousse formulations feel light on the skin and impart a soft matte finish. They are perfect for daily wear. If you have oily skin, these foundations are best.
Is mousse foundation good for mature skin?
Yes. Mousse foundation works on all skin types, but it is most suitable for people with matured, oily skin. This foundation makes the skin non-greasy and prevents pore clogging due to excess sebum accumulation.