Do you miss the goodness of neem oil for hair? Our childhood is incomplete without memories of our grandma’s relaxing head massage with homemade oil. Neem oil has stood out as an ayurvedic treatment for the hair with its multiple benefits. The antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties keep your hair free from lice infestation while enriching your hair with vitamins. Those who have incorporated neem oil in their routine have reaped its benefits in the form of voluminous, healthy hair. If you are not sure which brand to go for, here is a list of the top 13 neem oils made specially to bring thickness and growth to your hair.
What Does Neem Oil Do For Hair?
Neem oil has been lauded for its antifungal properties and this is especially helpful in the treatment of scalp conditions like dandruff, itching, or eczema. It also contains antioxidants like vitamin E, essential fatty acids like omega 6 and 9, and linoleic, stearic, and oleic acids that moisturize the hair and scalp. They also lock in moisture, so that your locks are less prone to breakage, damage, and split ends. As hair is amply strengthened and moisturized, this oil also stimulates hair follicles to help hair grow out and minimize hair loss. It also reduces frizz by making tresses smoother. Additionally, neem oil can also be used as a treatment for lice.
Maintain Luscious Tresses With The 13 Best Neem Oils For Hair In 2021
1. Best For All Hair Types: Mary Tylor Naturals Organic Neem Oil
Mary Tylor Naturals’ organic neem oil for hair and skin is undeniably your all-in-one magic potion. The antioxidant-rich formula is also supplemented with essential fatty acids and vitamin E to intensely nourish nails, hair, and skin. As this neem hair oil is cold-pressed, no heat was applied in its making, which preserves all the nutrients you need for healthier hair. No matter your skin or hair type, using this USDA-certified oil can provide ample moisturizing and strengthening benefits.
- Contains antioxidants, fatty acids, and vitamin E
- Can be used to strengthen hair, skin, and nails
- Suitable for all hair and skin types
- Cold-pressed to preserve nutrients
- Contains moisturizing properties
- Free of chemicals and additives
- Some may not like the strong smell
2. Best For Dry Hair: Kate Blanc Cosmetics Organic Neem Oil
Kate Blanc Cosmetics brings to you a versatile neem oil for hair growth and softening. Its antioxidant, vitamin E, and fatty acid-infused formula works wonders to moisturize dry hair and ends for a healthier mane. If you struggle with issues like redness, itching, dandruff, or eczema, massaging some of this 100% pure neem oil for the scalp can make the skin less irritated. Packaged in an amber glass bottle, the oil remains protected from UV light and the glass dropper allows for clean application.
- Promotes hair growth
- Moisturizes dry hair
- Lessens scalp irritation
- Works for issues like dandruff, redness, or eczema
- Unrefined and cold-pressed
- Can also be used on plants and pets
- Has a repugnant smell
3. Best Moisturizing: Harris 100% Cold Pressed Neem Oil
Retaining its original composition, Harris’ neem oil contains a high amount of antioxidants to protect your hair from free radical damage. You could also mix this formula with other hair oils to derive multiple hair benefits. With this neem oil, dandruff and other scalp conditions can be minimized and soothed owing to its healing and antifungal properties. Using this neem oil for hair strengthening, growth, and moisturization can yield you superb results.
- Soothes scalp conditions
- Contains antifungal properties
- Moisturizes and strengthens hair
- Can be mixed with other hair oils
- Made with 100% natural ingredients
- Can be used to repel insects
- Has an overwhelming odor
4. Best Earthy Scent: Aromine Essentials Neem Oil
To reap neem oil benefits for hair, give this one by Aromine Essentials a shot. It is unrefined and undiluted, so your scalp and hair can receive all the goodness it has to offer. The earthy scent is a bonus and you won’t have to expect an odor like traditional oils out there. Enriched with omega 6, 9, and fatty acids, your hair is deeply nourished from root to tip. With neem’s antifungal and antibacterial properties, you can also use this neem oil for dandruff and other scalp conditions.
- Unrefined and undiluted
- Earthy scent
- Can be used to repel bugs
- Enriched with nutrients
- Nourishes hair and scalp
- Works for dandruff and irritated skin
- Might be too strong on sensitive skin
5. Best For Irritated Scalp: Oleavine TheaTree All Natural Neem Oil
The TheaTree Neem Oil is pure and cold-pressed to retain all the necessary fatty acids. It is made with organic oil to help heal an irritated or dry scalp. If you find your scalp to be constantly itchy and inflamed, giving yourself a massage with this product can soothe it. For hair that is dry, weak, and brittle, this neem oil for hair loss speeds up the process of hair growth, so strong and healthy strands can flourish. As it is rich in omega 6 and 9 fatty acids and antioxidants, you can tone down frizzy hair and support scalp health.
- Rich with fatty acids and antioxidants
- Soothes an irritated scalp
- Moisturizes dry skin
- Strengthens weak and brittle hair
- Promotes hair growth
- Minimizes frizz
- Might leave behind an oily residue
6. Best Chemical-Free: GreenIVe Organic Neem Oil
GreenIVe’s 100% pure neem oil is organically made and contains zero chemicals. This neem oil for hair fall will stimulate blood flow to your scalp, so hair falls less and grows faster. Additionally, if you find yourself scratching your scalp due to dryness, irritation, or dandruff, you can easily soothe it with a hot oil treatment. The nutrient-rich oil works on your hair to soften, strengthen, and aid in hair growth.
- Reduces hair fall
- Soothes dry scalp
- Nutrient-rich formulation
- Promotes hair growth
- Doesn’t contain additives or synthetic ingredients
- Some might not like the thick consistency
7. Best Hydrating: Premium Nature Organic Neem Oil
Premium Nature brings to you a high-quality organic neem oil to meet all your skin, hair, pet, and plant care needs. This neem seed oil for hair works wonderfully to supply hydration to dry hair and locks in moisture. Filled to the brim with essential fatty acids, vitamin E, and antioxidants, you can count on this formula to replenish lost health and vitality to your skin, nails, and hair. Regular neem oil use can calm your scalp down to prevent and heal dandruff, irritation, and itching.
- Suitable for children
- Contains a persistent odor
8. Best Cruelty-Free: Velona Natural Oils Neem Oil
Made with 100% pure neem, this oil is all you need to clear your hair-related worries. Velona’s neem oil contains vitamin E and essential fatty acids in abundance, which help restore health and strength to both your strands and scalp. It works like a charm at calming irritation and doesn’t dry the skin out in the process. Neem’s regenerative properties stimulate the growth of hair follicles and prevent hair thinning. You can use this neem oil for hair regrowth as the linoleic, stearic, and oleic fatty acids aid in faster and thicker strands.
- Has an overpowering odor
9. Best Antioxidant-Rich Formula: Trusted Organics Just Neem Oil
Trusted Organics’ 100% pure virgin cold-pressed neem oil contains essential fatty acids and antioxidants to give your hair a healthy boost. Hexane-free, it nourishes the strands and the scalp to keep it clear of any build-up. The organic neem oil is your best bet at relieving issues like dandruff or inflammation, along with making way for smooth and lush hair to come through. It soothes a dry and itchy scalp, while also curbing factors that might lead to conditions like alopecia.
- Sustainably harvested neem oil
- Antioxidant-rich formula
- Nourishes hair and scalp
- Soothes scalp issues
- Promotes hair regrowth
- Might need 2 rounds of shampooing to fully clean hair
10. Best Anti-Hair Fall: Holy Natural Organic Neem Oil
Holy Naturals’ Organic Neem Oil contains the ingredient nimbidin, which helps promote a healthy scalp by reducing dandruff. Along with this, you will also notice lesser itchiness, redness, and inflammation. This natural hair solution is ideal for those that face a lot of hair fall while showering. When mixed with a reparative shampoo, this neem oil can help reduce hair fall and help hair grow out thicker and more lush than ever.
- Minimizes dandruff
- Enhances hair growth
- Reduces hair fall
- Promotes a healthy scalp
- Lessens itchiness, inflammation, and redness
- Might have a thick consistency
Fine hair is upsetting on its own but there’s nothing more heartbreaking than seeing a bunch of hair in the shower drain. If this situation sounds all-too-familiar, invest in the Neem Oil For Hair Growth by Hair Thickness Maximizer. This wonder product helps promote thick and healthy hair by creating ideal conditions for hair restoration. Massaging it daily can strengthen the existing hair follicles and nourish the scalp, so hair doesn’t fall out as often. As this leave-in serum is rich in fatty acids and antioxidants, you can also rid your scalp of dandruff and eczema. Use it for thinning, weak, and receding hair and reap its benefits.
- Reduces hair fall and promotes hair growth
- Treats scalp conditions like dandruff and eczema
- Some may not like the unpleasant smell
Daana’s organic neem oil is sustainably grown on family farms and can be used to reap skin, nail, and hair benefits. Filled with the goodness of vitamin E, this hair oil conditions and moisturizes weak and damaged hair by reducing breakage and damage. No more split ends, dandruff, and itchy scalp when you use this antioxidant-rich oil as a topical treatment. You can massage this neem oil onto the scalp to stimulate hair growth and help hair grow out beautifully.
- Conditions and moisturizes hair
- Reduces hair breakage and damage
- Reduces split ends
- Minimizes dandruff and itchy scalp
- Stimulates hair growth
- Some may find the consistency to be too thick
This organic neem oil by Mayan’s Secret contains extraordinary nourishing properties for the scalp and hair. Regular use can tame down frizz and split ends along with restoring shine and health back into your tresses. You will also notice that each strand becomes strong from the root and scalp issues like dandruff are minimized. If you struggle with dry, weak, brittle, breaking, or damaged hair, this is the right hair oil for you. The formula is rich in antioxidants like vitamin E and essential fatty acids like omega 6 and 9 and cares for both the scalp and hair.
- Restores shine
- Moisturizes hair
- Might leave behind residue
Now that we’ve looked at the best neem oils for hair out there, let’s look at how you can choose the best one for yourself.
How To Choose Neem Oil For Hair
To ensure that the nutrients in your neem oil remain intact, always opt for those that are cold-pressed. As heat isn’t used in the process, important antioxidants and essential fatty acids won’t be destroyed. Additionally, also read the label to choose a neem oil that is certified organic, pure, unrefined, undiluted, and virgin. This allows the oil to give your hair optimum nourishment and health.
Before choosing a neem oil, read the ingredient list to ensure that it was made without any sulfates, parabens, preservatives, additives, fragrance, or chemicals. As neem oil is already potent and strong, any of these elements can cause skin or scalp irritation and flare-ups.
You can also opt for neem oils that mention that they can also be used for the skin, nails, and other body ailments. This way, you won’t have to purchase a product for every single concern. Neem oils can be used for anti-aging benefits, hyperpigmentation, and to strengthen nails.
After you’ve gotten your neem hair oil, let’s learn the different ways you can use it to reap maximum benefit.
How To Use Neem Oil For Hair
There are multiple uses of neem oil but when it comes to treating scalp or hair conditions, it must be applied topically. As this oil is quite strong, keeping it on or using it frequently may cause irritation. A neem oil shampoo might help too, but most of these are meant to only treat head lice. So, for this reason, try out the following methods to incorporate these neem oil uses for hair into your care routine in a gentle and gradual manner.
- Add some neem oil to your regular shampoo to reap its benefits. A few drops of oil added to a quarter-sized dollop of shampoo and massaged into the scalp can help soothe it. Additionally, you can run it down the length of your hair for softer and glossier locks.
- If you like using hair masks, you can try adding some neem oil to your favorite one for a deep conditioning treatment. The oil supplements the mask for extra moisturizing and strengthening. However, this step is best followed by shampooing as you might end up with irritated skin if neem oil is left in your scalp for long periods of time.
- You can use neem oil mixed with other carrier oils like jojoba, almond, or coconut as part of your massage routine. Neem oil recipes mention simply adding 12 drops of neem oil to every 1 ounce of the carrier oil. For best results, you could heat up this mixture for a few seconds and apply it onto the scalp when it is warm. Cover your hair with a towel and let it rest for 30 minutes, after which you can shampoo. Ensure to gently massage the scalp with your fingertips as this stimulates blood circulation and helps hair regrowth. If you’ve been wondering how to use neem oil for hair growth, implement this step every time you wash your hair. This way, you would also be using neem oil for head lice treatment.
We know that neem oil is good for treating all kinds of bodily conditions, but let’s take a look at what it can do for hair.
Benefits Of Neem Oil For Hair
Neem oil has been used for over centuries in India as part of the traditional medicine system. The benefits of neem oil can be expanded to skin, scalp, hair, nails, plant and pet care as well. The following points outline the health benefits of neem oil and how this ancient remedy can be used for hair and scalp issues:
- As neem oil is filled with antifungal properties, it forms a natural treatment for dandruff. As dandruff is caused by a fungus on the scalp, those struggling with dryness and itchiness will benefit from neem oil.
- Neem oil is rich in essential fatty acids like linoleic, stearic, and oleic, vitamin E, and other antioxidants. Owing to its anti-inflammatory and skin regenerative properties, it is great for scalp health. These nourishing ingredients stimulate hair follicles, which helps hair regrowth and hair thinning is reduced. Hair grows back stronger and thicker.
- Hair breakage often results in its loss and you can put an end to this by properly moisturizing it. Neem oil works wonders at strengthening hair along with locking in moisture with the help of fatty acids. This way, hair fall is reduced.
- An itchy scalp stands no chance in the presence of neem oil due to its anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties. Neem oil targets dandruff, which can potentially cause your scalp to be itchy.
- As we already know that neem oil hydrates hair by locking in moisture, frizz is minimized. This oil also softens and smoothes hair down by leaving it glossy.
- If you struggle with head lice, neem oil can work as a natural treatment to combat it.
Neem oil has antimicrobial and antifungal properties that help combat conditions like eczema, dandruff, flakes, itchy scalp, and more. It also aids in keeping the hair hydrated, thereby minimizing the split ends and breakage. Neem oils are, thus, a one-stop solution for various scalp and hair conditions. Chemical-free and additive-free neem oils can reduce scalp irritation, promote hair growth, and nourish scalp and hair. Furthermore, neem oils that are pure, certified, undiluted, and cold-pressed have a great advantage in providing comprehensive benefits of neem. However, oils that leave residue and are sticky with unpleasant smells are a big no-no.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
The author, Sneha Manandhar, has a deep interest in hair care. She believes in going the extra mile to get the best products to improve your hair health. After hours of extensive research, she curated a list of the best neem oil for hair. She recommends these products after reading through umpteen reviews. These products are affordable, easy to use, and contain no harsh chemicals.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is neem oil good for low porosity hair?
Yes, neem oil hydrates hair and locks in moisture. Even though low porosity hair repels moisture, using this oil can yield some benefits.
Is neem oil safe for hair?
Neem oil on its own can be a little too strong for the hair and scalp, resulting in irritation. It also has a thick consistency which can be difficult to apply. For this reason, neem oil is best used diluted or when mixed with a carrier oil like coconut, almond, or jojoba. It can also be mixed into your regular shampoo or hair mask.
Is neem oil safe for color-treated hair?
Neem oil can help treat scalp ailments like dandruff and eczema, along with strengthening and softening hair. For it to be rendered safe, it must be diluted with other hair oils, shampoos, or hair masks.
How long does neem oil take for hair regrowth?
As every person and their body’s chemistry is different, neem oil might work differently. However, with regular use, neem oil can enhance hair growth and reduce hair fall.
- Neem Oil For Hair: Benefits, How To Use, And Side Effects
- Neem Oil For Dandruff: 7 Ways It Works
- Neem Oil: Tips To Use It For Scabies Treatment
- How To Use Neem To Cure Dandruff
- Best Anti-Dandruff Hair Oils