Does your yoga mat keep sliding and making you lose your balance? Do you struggle with sore knees and stiff or sensitive joints while practicing yoga? If so, it is time to switch to a non-slip yoga mat. These mats ensure your safety and comfort. They can be used for most floor exercises, stretching and toning workouts, different yoga styles, pilates, and meditation. They can be used at gym, yoga classes, home, or outdoor places as they have a secure grip on different surfaces. They are durable and usually made with eco-friendly materials. Non-slip yoga mats are also available in interesting designs and colors to match your style.
To help you out, we have compiled a list of the 15 best non-slip yoga mats currently available. Check them out!
Table Of Contents
15 Best Non-slip Yoga Mats Available Right Now
Gaiam Extra Thick Non-Slip Yoga Mat helps in cushioning and protecting your body, especially the joints, during your exercise routine. This mat stays in place due to its excellent traction and superior grip while you move into different poses. It is lightweight and portable, so it can be used either at home or in a studio. This eco-friendly mat is manufactured without harmful chemicals (like phthalates, DEHP, DBP, BBP, DINP, DIDP, and DNOP). It is available in exclusive designs and prints. You get a free yoga downloadable yoga workout on the Gaiam Yoga Studio App with the purchase of this mat.
- Sticky non-slip texture
- Added cushioning for joints that need a little extra support
- Available in a wide range of designs and prints
- Suitable for tall people
- Unpleasant smell
Retrospec Solana Yoga Mat’s non-slip material is free of phthalates, heavy metals, and latex. This sturdy mat ensures that you don’t lose balance while practicing yoga or working out. It is 1” thick, which makes it durable and prevents you from getting injured. This stylish black mat protects your joints, ankles, knees, and hips while you exercise. It can be cleaned easily with soap and warm water to remove dust and sweat. The mat comes with a strong strap that makes it portable and travel-friendly.
- Extra-thick for comfort and balance
- Alleviates stress from pressure points (joints, hips, hands, and knees)
- Easy to clean
- Includes a convenient carrying strap
- Average quality
Heathyoga Eco-Friendly Non-Slip Yoga Mat is lightweight and recommended by yoga studio instructors. It has a double-layered structure in which the top is diamond-textured to add grip while the bottom has tire threading to stick the floor. This innovative design ensures that you don’t slip or injure yourself even while performing complex yoga asanas. The anti-tear middle mesh extends the durability of the mat. Another unique feature of this eco-friendly mat is its alignment lines that act as your personal instructor. The markings on the mat – i.e., the central lines, reverse points, and end-to-end lines – guide you to perform yoga accurately. The optimal cushioning along with above-average dimensions provide ample room for you to comfortably exercise without losing balance.
- Made with SGS-certified Thermoplastic Elastomers (TPE)
- Exclusive alignment systemfor practicing yoga
- No odor
- Longer and wider than regular yoga mats
- Velcro strap and carrying strap included
- Available in trendy dual colors
- Corners get warped quickly
Aurorae Premium Yoga Mat comes in unique colors and designs inspired by northern lights and other mystical phenomena. This all-purpose mat can be used for outdoor activities like camping or for exercises such as pilates, aerobics, and yoga. It is safe to use by everybody as it is made without phthalates, silicones, and latex. It comes with slip-proof rosin. This durable, lightweight, eco-friendly mat needs to be broken into – which means it might be slippery initially.
- No odor
- Non-slip rosin included
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Does not contain latex or rubber
- Grip gets better only with use
Gruper Non-Slip Yoga Mat is made with soft and elastic TPE material that is free from toxic chemicals. Thus, this eco-friendly mat is odorless and safe to be used by everyone. It comes in fun, bright colors on both sides. The integrated foaming technology makes it durable and resistant to cracking or tearing. This double-layer mat is sturdy and durable as it has a high density. The corrugated and S-shape patterns improve the grip and comfort of this mat by increasing traction. Its anti-skid design ensures that you never slip and hurt yourself, even while performing strenuous activities. This mat has passed the 65-degree anti-slip test, sealing its credibility as a truly non-slip yoga mat. This yoga mat is highly recommended and comes in a bagthat makes it extremely convenient to carry and store.
- Soft and elastic
- Carry bag included
- Dents easily
TOPLUS Yoga Mat is a favorite among yoga enthusiasts as this eco-friendly mat is made with sweat-resistant and skid-resistant recycled material. It is ideal for floor exercises, pilates, and yoga. This resilient, flexible, and lightweight mat can be used for meditation and breathing exercises. It has a double-sided texture that ensures it has a strong hold and superior grip on various surfaces such as cement, tile, or wooden floors. The mat is neither too thick nor too thin – it has a thickness of one-fourth of an inch that strikes a balance between sufficient traction and balance. It is comfortable and protects your knees and joints from excess pressure.
- Optimal thickness
- Made with recycled material
- Comes with a carry bag
- May crack in a few cases
Clever Yoga’s Non-Slip Yoga Mat ensures that you do not end up with sore knees and joints as it has high-density padding that cushions the impact of your body weight on the pressure points. This double-sided mat with a wavy bottom and textured top layer improves its grip and makes it resistant to slipping or bunching. The closed-cell surface technology protects the mat from bacteria, moisture, and dirt. Thus, it is resistant to sweat, spillage, odors, and germs. It is also very easy to clean. This lightweight mat is made without phthalates, PVC, latex, and silicone. It is also sturdy and durable as it does not rip, stretch, shred, or flake easily. It is ideal for workouts involving stretching, toning, pilates, or hot yoga.
- Easy to clean
- Double-sided texture for twice the traction
- Not very durable
Ewedoos Eco-Friendly Yoga Mat has ingrained lines on the mat to guide you toward proper alignment without looking down. This keeps you focused and helps you achieve accurate yoga postures. The wavy underside grips the floor while the textured surface prevents you from slipping. This eco-friendly mat is certified by SGS as it is free from toxic substances such as phthalates, latex, and silicone. It ismade with closed-cell technology which ensures that dirt, water, and germs do not grow on its surface. It also makes it relatively easy to clean and maintain. This lightweight mat is travel-friendly, so you never need to skip your workout routine!
- Easy to clean
- Equipped with a body alignment system
- Wears out quickly
Liforme Original Yoga Mat claims that it has the “grippiest yoga mat in the market.” This yoga mat has a patented alignment system with the revolutionary GripForMe material that ensures a strong grip. All the materials – including the packaging – are recyclable, biodegradable, and responsibly sourced. This environmentally conscious brand also boasts of a larger mat than the regular yoga mats currently available. It ensures comfort and safety during yoga practice.
- Comes with a bag
- Engineered with patented alignment system marks
- Large size
- Eco-friendly packaging
IUGA Non-Slip Yoga Mat has a unique bone-patterned design that prevents the mat from slipping. It offers a great grip, so you can practice yoga without tumbling over. The double-sided texture helps you achieve the proper position. This eco-friendly mat is made with high-quality materials that do not stretch, tear, or flake easily. This lightweight mat is easy to clean, carry, and store. It is also available in different colors.
- SGS-certified material
- Comes with a carry strap
- Protects your joints and knees
- Has a strong odor
This dual-toned pastel blue mat will motivate you to follow your yoga lessons diligently. It has unique anti-skid lines that ensure you never lose your balance and hurt yourself. The mat is spacious and thick, so it gives you comfort and flexibility to stretch without restriction. The ¼” thickness of this TPE-based mat has the perfect cushioning effect so you do not strain your knees and joints.
- Highly resilient
- Excellent traction
- Superior grip
- A little flimsy
12. YXwin Yoga Mat
If you are looking for a yoga mat that offers stability and comfort without compromising on quality, YXwin Yoga Mat is a great choice. It is made of recyclable and highly resilient TPE material. This mat is ultra-dense, so it lasts longer than the average yoga mats. It is also spacious and ¼” thick, so it cushions your body while you exercise. The surface of the mat is water-resistant to prevent you from slipping in your sweat! The proprietary bottom pattern with upgraded, double-sided sticky texture gives this mat a superior grip on all kinds of surfaces.
- Superior grip
- Carry strap and velcro strap included
- May not lay flat
Hotor Bikram yoga can make you sweat a lot, which may make you slip on your yoga mat. Yoga Zeal has come up with an ingenious solution to this problem. They have designed a natural rubber mat with a luxuriously soft and super-absorbent faux suede towel on top. The towel absorbs the moisture and ensures that you do not lose balance due to slippery surfaces. This rubber mat has a textured bottom that stays in place on the floor. Thus, this non-slip mat has a superior grip when compared to regular mats. This thick and eco-friendly printed mat does not fade or bleed. It is available in tons of interesting patterns. Our favorite is the tropical Banana Leaf print!
- Eliminates the need for a towel
- The print does not fade or bleed
- Luxuriously soft
- High quality
SKL Travel Yoga Mat is made from natural tree rubber and recyclable suede. It is super-thin and foldable, making it travel-friendly. This 100% latex-free mat is made without PVC or harmful dyes. This non-slip, sweat-absorbent exercise yoga mat is the ideal choice for floor exercises, pilates, and yoga. It comes in a compact carry bag that can conveniently fit into your travel luggage without taking up extra space. This anti-tear and skid-resistant mat can be safely washed in the machine. So, no more excuses to avoid your kundalini yoga sessions!
- No odor
- Travel friendly
AIMERDAY Non-Slip Yoga Mat is made with high-density TPE which is durable, odorless, and safe for the skin. It is SGS-certified, so it is safe for the environment too! This double-layer anti-slip mat provides good support and balance. It has a wavy texture that grips securely to the floor, while the subtle pattern on the upper surface prevents your hands and feet from slipping and getting injured. This is essential for maintaining poses for different yoga asanas. The mat has extra-thick, high-density padding that protects your body, especially the spine, knees, hips, and other joints, from strain. It is perfect for all kinds of stretching and toning workouts, including Vinyasa, Ashtanga, and Bikram yoga. An interesting feature of this mat is its unique camouflage pattern available in numerous colors. The reversible dual-color aspect gives you an option to flip it when you get bored or are in the mood for some change. The advanced printing technology ensures that the print does not fade or bleed.
- Super resilient
- Reversible design
- The print does not fade or bleed
Those were our top picks of the best non-slip yoga mats available right now. Keep reading to learn all about the factors to keep in mind when selecting a non-slip yoga mat.
How To Choose A Non-Slip Yoga Mat
The single most distinctive feature to look for in a non-slip yoga mat is its grip. However, there are some other factors that influence the traction of the mat. Let us look at them in detail.
- Grip: The various patterns and textures on the mat give it traction. This helps it stay securely fixed to the ground. Keep in mind that the mat should work in tandem with different surfaces, such as wood, tiles, or cement floors, to stay in place. The mat should not warp, curl, or bunch up as it leads to loss of balance. Most mats have double-sided texturing so that the parts of the body that come in contact with the mat also have a secure grip. It reduces the risk of slipping and injury. The texture, however, should be soft to keep you comfortable while working out.
- Thickness: Another important factor to ensure your comfort is the size of the mat. Thickness is directly related to the padding or cushioning effect to your body. Mats that are too thin are usually slippery, while thicker mats increase resistance to body movements. Mats with ¼” thickness are currently popular as it is believed to be the optimal thickness. Thus, it ensures that the compression points on your body, such as knees, hips, feet, hands, and spine, are not strained. Elderly persons or people with certain health conditions, such as arthritis, need mats with thicker padding.
- Material (Durability and Safety): Thermoplastic Elastomers (TPE), Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC), and Nitrile Rubber (NBR) are commonly used to manufacture non-slip yoga mats. The density of the material is correlated to its durability and resilience. The higher the density, the stronger the material. It does not tear, stretch, or crack easily. Thus, it lasts longer. TPE has a high density, making it a good choice. It is also more eco-friendly as it is free from toxic substances such as latex, BPA, etc. It is certified by SGS and generally safe to use. Rubber mats can withstand higher temperatures and are also highly durable.
For a better idea of the features of different materials, refer to the table below.
Comparison of different materials used in manufacturing non-slip yoga mats
|Easy to wash||8||7||6|
- Dimensions: Some mats are larger than others, so they offer more surface area and space. Thus, they can be used by people of all body proportions without any discomfort. Smaller mats increase the chances of losing balance and slipping. So keep your height and weight in mind when choosing a yoga mat.
- Texture: Different patterns – such as bone design, wavy texture, corrugated S shape, etc. – are all different ways to keep the mat from sliding.
- Comfort:A non-slip mat should be comfortable to use. It should not interfere with your body movements and flexibility. Mats with soft top surfaces are gentle and comfortable to work out on.
- Reversible: These are mats with an option to use both sides. Not only does it bring some change to your workout routine, but it also helps the mat last longer.
- Lightweight: Lightweight mats are easy to carry from one place to another. They are also travel-friendly.
- Easy To Clean: Yoga mats are generally easy to clean and store. Non-slip yoga mats are usually sweat- and water-resistant to decrease the chance of accidental slipping. These surfaces resist dirt, dust, and germs, making them hygienic. Simply washing them with soap and warm water will do the trick. A few mats that are currently available are also machine-washable.
- Price: Keep in mind your budget before splurging on a yoga mat. Good-quality and long-lasting non-slip mats are worth investing in. Check the warranty and return policy as well before purchasing one.
Non-slip yoga mats are great long-term investments. These non-slip yoga mats are durable, eco-friendly, and available in multiple colors and patterns. Most importantly, they ensure your comfort and safety. Don’t put off your fitness goals for another day and grab a non-slip yoga mat right away!
- How To Pick The Right Yoga Mat
- Top 13 Yoga Mats Of 2021 To Buy Online
- 15 Best Yoga Mat Bags Of 2021 – Reviews And Buying Tips
- 15 Best Yoga Towels Of 2021 – A Complete Buying Guide