Dealing with oily hair every day is not an easy job, especially when your hair flattens just before going out. The only refuge is looking into the best products for oily hair that will help you maintain a balance between oil production and scalp health. Using the right products helps absorb excess oil and retains the needed moisture to keep your hair looking flawless; it is also essential for proper scalp care. The anti-grease formulas cleanse your scalp of dust and dirt accumulation and relieve you of dandruff as well. Here are 9 products specially crafted for oily hair needs.
In This Article
9 Best Products For Oily Hair
1. Best Deep Cleansing Shampoo For Oily Hair:Maple Holistics Degrease Shampoo
Get rid of the greasy scalp and limp hair with this shampoo from Maple Holistics. Its lemon-infused, sulfate-free formula deeply cleanses your oily scalp and nourishes your hair shafts without leaving any residue or buildup. This clarifying shampoo is infused with 100% pure essential oils extracted from rosemary, jojoba, and cypress basil that nourish the tresses to bestow a healthy shine. It addresses common hair issues like dandruff, flakes, and hair loss. The shampoo is suitable for both oily and dry scalp.
Key Ingredients: Rosemary, Jojoba, Cypress basil, and Lemon essential oils
- Nourishes the hair
- Synthetic fragrance-free
- Synthetic color-free
- Strong fragrance
- Leaves the ends dry
2. Best Shampoo BarFor Oily Hair:Ethique St Clements Solid Shampoo For Oily Hair
Eliminate excess oil from your hair and contribute to a plastic-free world with this product from Ethique. This shampoo bar is formulated with lime and orange oil botanical extracts that cleanse your scalp and balance oil production. In a people experience test, 97% claimed to be happy with the feel of the hair after using the product. It has an 88% proven efficacy of making the curls soft and manageable. The natural humectants in this shampoo bar nourish and condition your hair and maintain pH balance. It is 100% soap-free and has no harsh foaming agents. The compostable packaging leaves no solid traces, making it an eco-friendly hair care product.
Key Ingredients: Lime oil extract, Orange oil extract, Castor oil, and Vegetable glycerin
- Safe for color-treated hair
- Palm oil-free
3. Best Anti-HairFall Shampoo & ConditionerFor Oily Hair:Bellisso Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner Set
This biotin shampoo and conditioner duo from Bellisso prevents hair fall and promotes hair growth. The products are infused with hydrolyzed keratin, spirulina extract, zinc collagen peptides, and biotin. Together, these rich ingredients block dihydrotestosterone (DHT) – a primary reason for balding – and promote hair thickening. They strengthen your hair and fight various hair issues like hair thinning, split ends, frizz, and brittle hair. Watch this video to know more about the product and analyze the features from the tester’s experience.
Key Ingredients: Biotin, Hydrolyzed keratin, Spirulina extract, and Zinc collagen peptides
- Reduces hair loss
- Overwhelming fragrance
4. Best Leave-In For Oily Hair:Nexxus Hydra-Light LeaveIn Conditioning Foam
Your oily hair will love this lightweight leave-in conditioning foam from Nexxus. It provides balanced hydration and prevents flyaways without making your hair limp or flat after application. This premium hair treatment foam is enriched with deep sea minerals that restore the protective barrier of the hair and provide a little lift to your tresses. It also contains glycerin, a natural humectant, that makes your hair smooth and manageable. This video will give you more insights into the product through the tester’s experience.
Key Ingredients: Glycerin and Deepsea minerals
- Smells good
- Can be used on wet or dry hair
- Leaves residue
5. Best Hair Oil For Oily Hair:Moroccanoil Oily Scalp Treatment
This hair oil from Moroccanoil can be a complete game-changer for your regular hair care regimen. It helps control excess oil production, combats dandruff, and makes your hair shiny. It is clinically proven to be lightweight and less oily on the scalp. The professional-grade hair oil is infused with argan oil, ginger root oil, and biotin peptide complex that stimulate the scalp and strengthen the hair follicles. A powerful blend of natural ingredients and lavender revitalizes your hair and adds shine while making it healthy. The oil does not feel greasy or heavy on the hair and leaves behind an all-day freshness and a natural aroma. To make an informed decision before buying, you can check out this video to get insights from the reviewer’s experience of the product.
Key Ingredients: Argan oil, Ginger root oil, Lavender, and Biotin peptide complex
- Shine control
- Mess-free application
- Sweetnutty smell
6. Best pH-Balanced Conditioner For Oily Hair:Neutrogena Healthy Scalp Clarify & Shine Conditioner
This anti-residue conditioner from Neutrogena is infused with pink grapefruit to hydrate and clarify your hair. Its non-drying formula moisturizes your scalp, helps maintain the pH balance, removes residue and buildup, and strengthens the scalp’s natural barrier. The non-medicated conditioner is free of harsh chemicals and safe for color-treated hair. Apply a generous amount from mid-lengths to the ends after shampooing to get a healthy scalp and shiny hair.
Key Ingredients: Pink grapefruit extract
- Gentle formula
- Refreshing scent
7. Best Dry Shampoo For Mid-Week Cleansing:Waterless Dry Shampoo
No time for washing your hair? Try out this dry shampoo from Waterless that absorbs oil and sweat without leaving any residue. Its micro-fine tapioca starch-based formula are freshes the scalp, adding body and bounce to the hair. Just spritz this dry shampoo before traveling or workout and brush it off once done, and you are done for the day.
Key Ingredients: Tapioca starch
- Smells good
- May make the hair stiff
8. Best Shampoo Comb:Heeta Hair Shampoo Brush
Give more power to your shampoo with the Heeta Shampoo Brush. This handy shower comb lathers up the shampoo and helps exfoliate dandruff and buildup from the scalp. You can also use it to massage your dry scalp, get rid of itchiness, and stimulate blood circulation. It has an ergonomic design that fits perfectly within your palm and does not damage your manicured nails while washing your hair. The soft silicone body makes shampooing a more effective exercise.
- Suitable for all hair types
- Can be used for pet grooming
- Tangles hair
9. Best Scrub For Oily Scalp:Nexxus New Clean & Pure Scalp Scrub
This cleansing scalp scrub from Nexxus replenishes essential nutrients, adds nourishing ingredients to the scalp, and provides a salon-care treatment by purifying and detoxifying your scalp. It contains an exclusive blend of elastin protein and marine minerals that clarifies the scalp and smoothens the hair to add body and shine. This scalp scrub deals with buildup and helps rebalance your scalp.
Key Ingredients: Elastin protein and Marine minerals
- Dries out the hair
If you have oily hair, you know that it is a constant struggle to find products that work well on your hair. In this buying guide, we are going to share with you a few factors to look for in products to keep your hair looking and feeling great all day long!
Things To Look For In Products For Oily Hair
- Formula: Look for products that are oil-free with sebum control and non-comedogenic formulas. These products won’t clog your pores or make your hair look greasy. Choose formulas that contain ingredients like salicylic acid or glycolic acid.
- Consistency: Lightweight consistencies are best, as these formulas do not weigh your hair down or encourage product buildup. Heavier products may suffocate your tresses and scalp, making them prone to damage.
- Ingredients: Look for shampoos and conditioners that are specifically designed for oily hair to help control the oil production in your scalp. This can be done with special shampoos and conditioners that contain tea tree oil or mint. These products will usually contain less oil than other formulas, and they also give a volume boost to help give your hair a voluminous look.
You may also want to look for products that contain absorbent ingredients like clay or powder. These ingredients help break down the oil in your hair and on your scalp. Avoid products that contain heavy oils or silicones, as these can actually make your hair oilier.
- Added Factors: Look for products that contain gentle cleansing agents. This is important because harsh cleansers can strip away the natural oils from your scalp, which can actually make your hair oilier. Instead, opt for gentle cleansers that won’t strip your scalp of its natural oils.
Infographic: Tried & Tested Ingredients For Oily Hair
Oily hair is challenging to manage. The right products are essential to keep your hair looking healthy and shiny, without the greasy effect. Certain ingredients help regulate oil production and provide moisture balance to oily hair and scalp. Check out the infographic below to know which ingredients to look for and which ones to avoid in products for oily hair.
An oily scalp turns your hair oily soon after washing it. Such an oily scalp and hair need products to control the excessive oil production, and maintain scalp and hair health. Some products can also address dandruff and hair loss triggered by an oily scalp. From shampoo to conditioner and scrubs, the products listed in our article minimize split ends, reduce hair fall, and make the hair non-greasy. The Maple Holistics Degrease Shampoo is an excellent gentle shampoo that deep cleanses the hair while keeping your hair color safe, while the Ethique St. Clements Solid Shampoo has nourishing ingredients that doesn’t strip moisture or weigh down the hair. Finally, the Neutrogena Healthy Scalp Clarify & Shine Conditioner is an ideal complement for your shampoo to offer balanced moisture. Always invest in products that are free from harmful chemicals and avoid products that aggravate an oily scalp.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
The author, Shiboli Chakraborti, is a hair care enthusiast who loves experimenting with different products. She went through numerous customer reviews on multiple forums and websites to curate this list of the best products for oily hair that are oil-absorbing and retain the needed moisture. The above products cleanse your scalp and help remove dust, dirt, grease, and dandruff.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you treat oily hair?
• Wash your hair less frequently.
• In between washes, use dry shampoo.
• Use a sulfate-free shampoo to wash your hair.
• Regularly brush your hair to distribute the sclap oils evenly.
• To revitalize your strands, use a texturizing spray.
Is having greasy hair healthy?
No. Although a little oil in your hair is acceptable, and shows a healthy sebum-regulating process, excessive greasiness may be signs of inadequate or unhealthy hair care or underlying sebum production problems.
How long does it take to train your hair not to be greasy?
It usually takes 2-3 weeks of hair care for your hair to not be greasy.
How do I keep my hair from getting greasy overnight?
• Use a shampoo made especially for oily roots.
• Use a clarifying shampoo once a week.
• Use clean pillowcase every night.
• Avoid hot showers, which activate the oil glands and increase oil production.
How do I fix greasy hair without washing it?
• Use a dry shampoo as it absorbs the excess oils.
• Wipe blotting paper on your scalp to remove excess oil.
• Blow dry the oily strands slightly to make them look less greasy.
• Brush your hair twice every day to prevent oil buildup near your roots.
What ingredients should I avoid for oily hair?
Avoid ingredients like parabens, alcohol, toxic dyes, synthetic chemicals, silicones, and fragrances, for oily hair.
How often should I wash my oily hair?
Wash your oily hair 2-3 times a week for the best results.
Do you need conditioner if you have oily hair?
Yes, since it delivers moisture and nourishment to your hair, which a shampoo alone cannot provide.
Does stress cause oily hair?
Yes, stress affects your hormone levels which in turn causes excess oil production and makes your scalp oily.
- Best Hair Serums For Oily Hair
- Best Drugstore Shampoos For Oily Hair
- Simple Home Remedies To Detox Your Hair
- How To Balance The pH Of Your Hair For A Healthy Look