Got a gym membership, but stuck at home? We hear you. The pandemic has definitely killed many of our routines and forced ourselves to be self-reliant. But you don’t have to worry about missing your workouts. There are numerous workout videos by experts online — all you need is a space in your house and some essential gym accessories to start your journey toward a healthy body. However, it can be tricky to find the right rubber dumbbells. We take a look at the 13 best rubber dumbbells of 2020 for your home gym.
Rubber dumbbells are one of the most effective tools to gain muscles and tone your body. They are easy to use, travel-friendly, and won’t burn a hole in your pocket. And they won’t ruin your floor. The rubber weight plate attachments on either end indicate that your floor is bound to be safe often. You can find rubber dumbbells in different weights, ranging from 3 lb to 120 lb. These are the best accompaniments for anyone willing to follow a day-to-day exercise regime for healthy living.
What Exactly Are Rubber Dumbbells
Rubber dumbbells are just metal dumbbells with a rubber coating. They may be fully encased in rubber or simply have rubber-coated balls or plates. These dumbbells are one of the most essential weight training tools and can be used individually or in pairs, with one in each hand.
Top 13 Best Rubber Dumbbells For Your Home Gym
Take your home workout up a notch with these AmazonBasics Neoprene Dumbbell Hand Weights. A fun alternative to the round-headed heavy iron weights are these dumbbells with hexagonal heads. They are great for beginners as well as advanced fitness enthusiasts. These dumbbells have numbers printed on each cap, denoting their total weight. They are also color-coded, so you can quickly change between weight sets, by just looking at the color. This set of 6 weights include 2, 3, and 5 lb pairs of dumbbells. The ensemble comes with a stand so you can store and place it on the dumbbell rack during and after exercise.
- Won’t roll away
- 1-year warranty
- Neoprene coating ensures firm grip
- Ideal for home workouts or fitness classes
- The rubber coating may be a bit thick.
Step up your workout game with these CAP Barbell Coated Hex Dumbbell Weights. Their medium depth knurling on the ergonomically designed contoured handle offers this classic rubber hex dumbbell grip, ensuring safety during workouts. Include strength training in your workout regime with this pair of weights. You will improve your core strength, build muscle, and burn more calories through such weight workouts. This barbell rubber dumbbell will also lead you to have more energy throughout the day and an elevated overall mood. These dumbbells weigh 5 lb.
- Anti-slip grip
- Anti-roll design
- Weight printed on its heads
- Versatile use
- May rust if not well maintained
If you have been skipping leg day, well, then try a strength training lower body workout with this AmazonBasics Rubber-Encased Hex Dumbbell. Adding this weight to your routine will allow for more focused, dedicated repetitions on each side of the body. It works as weight-resistance and as a counterbalance for several upper and lower body exercise routines. It comes in a variety of sizes, ranging from 10 to 50 lb (in 5-lb increments).
- Won’t roll away
- 1-year warranty
- Comfortable grip
- Built-to-last solid cast iron core
- May have an off-putting odor initially when unwrapped
Sculpt your shoulders, back, and arms with this Yes4All Rubber Hex Dumbbell Set. These 2 lb neoprene dumbbells will not break or bend after multiple use and are less prone to splitting than vinyl, making them a great choice for your home gym. The handle offers a firm grip while the hexagonal head prevents the weights from rolling away on the floor. They are color-coded and have weights printed on them so that you can easily switch during an exercise. It is available in different weights, ranging from 2 to 18 lb.
- Anti-slip grip
- High-quality solid cast iron core
- Doesn’t make much noise
- Neoprene coating prevents dumbbells from chipping
- The grip circumference may be a bit big for some.
If you are a beginner or just setting up a home gym, it is important that you opt for weights that fit well with your aesthetics. If it is something that looks modern and stylish, these Crown Sporting Goods Hand Weights will be the perfect match. They are built with cast iron and coated with thick neoprene. They are well-suited for both outdoor and indoor workout routines. Don’t be deceived by its lightweight features; they can be used to add resistance to aerobic exercises to burn more calories. They are available in 1 lb and 10 lb weights.
- Comfortable grip
- Perfect travel size
- Attractive bright colors
- May have a foul smell when you unwrap it the first time
This CAP Neoprene Coated Dumbbell Weights in magenta are attractive and will stand out from the rest of your gym accessories. It is built to be safe and versatile, proving to be a great accompaniment for HIIT workouts, functional training, or a full-body exercise. Of course, you can always get creative and add resistance by using this 5 lb weight in your existing regime but only after consulting your trainer. It is available in different sizes — from 1 to 12 lb.
- Offers essential grip
- Hex shaped heads prevent rolling
- Iron core made from ASTM A48 Grade 20 grey iron
- Slightly expensive
Built to complement some heavy-duty weight training, this j/fit Neoprene Dumbbell Set will help you boost your workouts by adding resistance, which will improve your strength and stamina. These are solid iron weights with double-dipped neoprene coating. This set includes dumbbells that are available in 3 pairs — 20 lb set that includes 5, 3, and 2 lb pairs. Other set options include: 32 lb set (8, 5, and 3 lb pairs), 46 lb set (10, 8, and 5 lb pairs), 60 lb set (12, 10, and 8 lb pairs), and 74 lb set (15, 12, and 10 lb pairs). Choose the set that works well with your workout. The lighter weight sets are great for Barre routines, walking, and jogging while the heavier weight sets are ideal for strength training.
- Anti-slip grip
- 10-year warranty
- Won’t chip or flake
- Includes an easy-to-assemble stand that allows for quick access
- May have a rubber odor when unwrapped
These Unipack Neoprene Dumbbells are built from cast iron and coated with neoprene in different colors, offering you a wide range of selection. Each pair of dumbbells in a set is marked with its weight for easy identification. All while the hexagon head design ensures that it doesn’t roll away on the floor, in turn preventing accidents. They are coated with premium quality neoprene, so rest assured it will not crack, rust, or fade. They are compact in size and suitable for a home gym session and can be carried with you when you’re traveling. This set of 2 neoprene dumbbells are 3 lb each.
- Non-slip grip
- Easy to clean
- Comfortable hold
- Great for indoor and outdoor use
- It may be a bit too thick.
If you haven’t been going to the gym lately or aren’t looking to renew your gym membership anytime soon, using this Weider Rubber Hex Dumbbell is as close you can get to an original gym workout session. It looks and feels exactly like your gym weights and is multi-functional. You can use it while doing any upper or lower body exercise to build strength, stamina, burn more calories, and improve your energy levels. The solid rubber hex dumbbell is available in a range of weight values starting from 5 lb to 70 lb.
- Compact size
- Non-slip grip
- Won’t roll away on the floor
- No weight-lifting gloves necessary
- May get a bit greasy if not maintained well
These PAPABABE Rubber Coated Hex Dumbbells are convenient to use and affordable. If you are looking to train at home and have a small space, this set will work well for you. These dumbbells are compact, and you can do myriads of workouts that help you boost your cardiovascular fitness, elevate muscle endurance for sports, build muscle, and burn calories. These weights offer your body some balance, and adding them to your bench presses will improve your physical strength. It is available in sizes ranging from 5 lb to 50 lb.
- Anti-slip grip
- 1-year warranty
- Hexagon shaped heads prevent rolling
- 5 mm diamond knurl ergonomic handle
- May require frequent maintenance to last for years
If you are looking to take your home workout routines to the next level, try XMark Fitness Rubber Coated Hex Dumbbells to add strength training to any basic exercise. A superior quality premium rubber casing made from virgin and recycled rubber covers each head. Their ergonomic chrome-plated straight handles reduce hand fatigue and are designed to fit easily in the palm of your hands. These dumbbells weigh 30 lb. each.
- Anti-slip grip
- High-quality cast iron heads
- Six-sided design prevents rolling
- Bit pricey
This Marcy Neoprene Dumbbell Set is ideal for beginners and fitness enthusiasts looking for some quick weightlifting and bodybuilding sessions in the comfort of their homes or while on travel. They are compact, easy to carry, and convenient to store. This set includes 3 different weight pairs — 2, 3, and 5 lb dumbbell pairs. Club these weights with cardio bikes, any of your home gym equipment, or any basic exercise like a bench press or an overhead press to burn those extra calories. Create a workout schedule using these weights to achieve your personal fitness goal.
- Slip-resistant hand grip
- 2-year limited warranty
- Comes with a carrying case
- High-quality anti-slip neoprene covering
- The case may not be sturdy and durable.
This 5 lb WF Athletic Supply Dumbbell Set features a strong 1018 cold rolled steel chromed handle that will last through multiple workout routines over the years. Sold in pairs, these dumbbells are available in multiple sizes — ranging from 3 to 120 lb (in 5 lb increment). With the lighter dumbbells, you can do some warming up exercises and pick up the heavier ones once you are ready to go full throttle into strength training exercises. They are also a great accompaniment while walking and for step aerobics to burn more calories and better your stamina.
- Will not bend or break after repeated use
- Ergonomic handle offers comfortable grip
- Rubber hexagon-shaped head prevents rolling
- Made from high-quality solid cast iron material
- May need to be wiped regularly to last long
Before you decide to buy rubber dumbbells, do consider a few important points.
Why Choose Rubber Dumbbells
- Without a doubt, rubber dumbbells are one of the most reliant gym gears to count on to build a healthy body.
- The rubber coat helps protect the dumbbells from damage.
- They are also a safe choice for your house floor.
- They are waterproof, so you don’t have to worry about it being ruined because of moisture.
- The rubber thickness minimizes noise while re-racking the dumbbells or while exercising with the weights alone.
- They are corrosion and rust-resistant owing to the thick rubber layering.
Factors To Know While Buying Rubber Dumbbells
- Storage: If you want your dumbbells to last long, buying a rack is recommended. Nobody likes a roughly arranged dumbbell.
- Use of mobility and space: They take up minimal space and the hex rubber dumbbells do not roll away.
- Floor protection: They are best for both home and commercial gym use because they don’t ruin the floor when dropped accidently, thanks to the soft and thick rubber coating on the edges of the hex dumbbells.
- Weight range: Depending on whether you need them for strength or toning, you can use different weights. You can choose from as low as 1 lb to over 20 lb.
- Durability: To ensure your dumbbells have a long life, invest in the ones made of high-quality steel and premium rubber or neoprene coating.
- Ease of use: Opt for dumbbells that are reliable and extremely easy to use, be it for lifts or weight training.
Rubber Dumbbells vs Iron Dumbbells
Rubber dumbbells are built from cast iron, which is then coated with rubber. Iron dumbbells, unlike rubber ones, rust easily and can cause serious damage to your floor, in case you drop them. The rubber coating means the dumbbells will be a bit pricier than iron dumbbells, but even your trainer would agree that the investment is worth it because the pros outweigh the cons.
Why Pick Rubber Dumbbells Over Iron Dumbbells
- Can be safely dropped
- Less likely to scratch your floor
- Offers comfortable, anti-slip grip
- Great for indoor and outdoor workout
- Looks better, since the paint won’t chip off like with iron dumbbells
How To Care For Rubber Dumbbells
Rubber hex dumbbells last a long time, but you still need to care for it.
- Clean the rubber layer of the dumbbells by dipping a cloth in dish soap and water, and wipe it dry immediately.
- You can also clean the chrome handles by applying a thin coating of WD40 and then wipe them off, so they don’t become slippery. The WD40 will protect them against rust.
Now that you are well acquainted with all the types, features, and advantages of rubber dumbbells, we hope you find the ideal one as a stepping stone to setting up your personal gym at home. With our sedentary lifestyles and minimal physical labor, it has become increasingly important today to set a routine to work towards a healthy body and mind. Setting a small space at home as your personal workout corner, will help you get started on this journey, without having to worry about a gym membership or germs. We truly pray that our list of the 13 best rubber dumbbells that are ideal for your home gym helps you at the onset of your journey towards staying fit and motivated.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Are rubber dumbbells better?
Rubber dumbbells are usually considered to be a safer choice than iron or chrome dumbbells. However, if you are allergic to latex or sensitive to strong odors, it is advised to use iron dumbbells instead.
Why do rubber dumbbells smell?
Rubber has a natural property to release an intense smelling gas. If your rubber dumbbells have an odor, it isn’t a bad quality product. It is just the rubber doing its thing. Keep the dumbbells outside until the odor dissipates.
Can I use dumbbells to burn arm fat?
Lifting weights such as dumbbells may not cause fat loss in your arm specifically, but it will accelerate the fat loss process and tone your arms, making them look slimmer.
Should women use dumbbells every day?
Although it is great if you are able to find time to work out every day religiously, it is advisable to leave yourself at least one day of rest per week.
Will dumbbells help me tone muscle?
Yes, simple dumbbell exercises will help you tone your muscle.
What weight should I start with?
If you are healthy, then it is suggested that you start with lightweight and move on to moderate ones.
Why do women need dumbbells for strength training?
Resistance exercise, such as lifting weights as part of strength training, helps you build muscle mass. Maintaining a healthy level of muscle mass is a great way to keep fat off and stay fit.
Why should you add dumbbells to your home gym?
Dumbbells help strengthen muscles more than barbells do and are easy to carry, store, and exercise with. Hence, it is a primary accessory for any home gym.
Are dumbbells for women different than dumbbells for men?
No, they are the same. Your dumbbell weight requirement may vary depending on why you are doing strength training.
Are dumbbells different from hand weights?
Technically, it is the same thing, but usually, the lighter weights are referred to as hand weights.
Can you really tone a body part with dumbbells?
There are specific dumbbell exercises to target a part of your body.
Latest posts by Mayuri J Ravi (see all)
- 15 Best Aloe Vera Lotions To Help Soothe Dry And Irritated Skin - March 24, 2021
- 9 Best Lip Brushes For Perfect Makeup - March 14, 2021
- 13 Best Drugstore Moisturizers For Combination Skin You Need To Try In 2021 - February 8, 2021
- 13 Best Dual Voltage Curling Irons In 2021 - February 8, 2021
- 10 Best Clay Masks For Combination Skin In 2021 - February 6, 2021