Do you frequently remove your running cap because you feel stuffy or sticky? If yes, you require a replacement! But before looking for the best running hats for women, look at our list of the top ones. Yes, you can stop suffocating every time you go for a stroll or run when all you need is an airy, breathable cap with an expanded visor to prevent the sun and sweat. Although caps are undervalued and often purchased without care, many people end up purchasing headwear that is not even designed for jogging or sports! In this article, we have discussed what a running hat is and listed the top13 running hats for women. Keep scrolling.
In This Article
What is the best running hat?
A running hat or cap is a sports headgear that is meant to provide more than just a snug fit and sun protection. It keeps the head cool, dry, and airy with ventilated panels and the cap also has moisture-wicking sweatbands to ensure no dampness. Plus, it is ultra-light and shields the head from heating up due to the sun and intense activities. “It can also partially protect your face from UV rays and prevent your hair color from fading,” says Chandel Stallworth, an expert in Pilates, Strength Training, and Corrective Exercise.
Now if you are ready to add a new hat to your sporty collection, scroll on to check out the 13 best running hats for women below!
Read on to know more!
Top 13 Best Running Hats For Women That Guarantee Comfort & Sun Protection!
1. Best Snug Fit: Nike Dri-FIT Baseball Cap
Well-known for its premium sports gear worldwide, Nike’s caps have a breathable design that offers an ideal combination of style, comfort, and high functionality. This one, for instance, with Dri-Fit moisture technology ensures no stuffiness no matter how long you wear it. Lightweight, airy, and perforated at the back and center, its low-profile design with a loop and hook closure offers a snug fit to all. Also, the long visor and contrasting underbill blocks out maximum sun glare. A great choice for golfers, hikers, and gym rats— if a high-quality running hat is what you are looking for, then Nike women’s running hat womens is one of the best options.
- Made of 100% polyester fabric
- Unstructured crown design
- Soft and breathable material
- Adjustable and moisture-absorbent
- The logo is embroidered on the visor.
- It may not dry quickly.
2. Best Sun Protection: GADIEMKENSD UPF 50+ Running Cap
This is no ordinary running cap! With an anti-UV coating on top to protect your face from harmful rays, the extended visor also has a reflective band to increase your visibility at night. So, if you enjoy night jogs, running, or cycling, this highly-rated cap will make sure all incoming vehicles know you are around. Also, its water-resistant power is no joke. In case of light rain or splash, the visor’s lotus effect will slide off the water quickly without absorbing, thus preventing dampness. Plus, the sweat-absorption fabric with button closure keeps you cool and comfy all the time! Now, why would you miss a cap so convenient?
- Blocks 98% harmful UVA and UVB rays
- UPF 50+ tested for ultimate sun protection
- Long and wide visor reduces sun glare
- Durable, unstructured, and adjustable cap
- Soft, breathable, and 100% polyester material
- Lightweight, quick-drying, and easy-to-fold
- Ideal for hunting, fishing, mountaineering, running, etc.
- Flimsy stitching
- It may not fit petite heads.
3. Best Lightweight: TrailHeads Running Hat
Let your hair and ponytail breathe with this running hat by TrailHeads for women. If you are looking for a women’s running hat that’ll keep you comfy and “light-headed” for several hours, then you might as well give this cap a try. Made of soft, breathable, and moisture-wicking fabric, it claims to be so lightweight that you’ll barely feel it on the head. Plus, the elongated visor with a dark underbill minimizes sun glare and the reflective strip on the trim ensures visibility during dark hours. This hat’s brim size is Ideal for women to stay protected and stylish on race days. This ponytail running hat is ideal for hiking, jogging, fishing, and golfing too.
- One-size-fit-all cap
- Made of 100% polyester
- Hand and machine-washable
- Unstructured and low-profile design
- Quick-drying and sweat-absorbent
- Easy to adjust with Velcro strap closure
- Convenient to store with easy-to-fold structure
- Shallow and may not be ideal for big heads
4. Best Quick-Drying: adidas Women’s Superlite Cap
UVA and UVB rays can be extremely harmful to the skin and hair, which is why you need a cap that ensures complete protection. And whether you are brand-conscious or not, this cap by Adidas claims to block the harmful rays of the sun with its anti-UV coating. Plus, the visor is super-elongated to keep your forehead and nose shaded from the sunlight, whereas the dark underbill prevents reflection. A great option to keep the sun out of your way while you enjoy the outdoors, This hat is made with quick-drying material and it’s also available in multiple colors for you.
- Made of 13% spandex and 87% polyester
- Ensures a comfortable and snug fit
- Adjustable with loop and hook closure
- Soft, breathable, and lightweight fabric
- Moisture-wicking, non-stuffy, and allows airflow
- Hair might get tangled in the Velcro straps
5. Best For Comfort: PUMA Women’s Evercat Running Cap
Cap, but make it chic! Shout out to fashionistas out there who like to keep their sportswear in line with their everyday style— here’s a popular cap by Puma that guarantees to be comfortable and trendy at the same time! Embossed with the HD logo of the brand on the front and back, the adjustable fit has flexible closure with velcro ensuring a snug fit for all. Ideal for gym enthusiasts, runners, and hikers, amp up your sporty look this season with this classy running cap womens by Puma.
- Universal-size cap
- Made of 100% polyester
- Easy to fold and convenient to store
- Quick-drying with a low-profile design
- Mesh is breathable and allows airflow
- Sweatbands in the front absorb all the moisture.
- The elongated visor minimizes sun glare.
- It’s not washing machine-compatible.
6. Best Breathable Material: C.C Ponycap
Here’s a cap that your ponytail will love! Given how some caps can be uncomfortable, especially if you like to tie high buns or ponytails, this affordable cap has a customized slot for you all. Also, no more strands getting stuck in the Velcro strap! All you have to do is pull your hair through the gap and go ahead with the hairstyle of your choice. Besides this, the design is lightweight and super-airy too. Wear on and watch your ponytail sway in delight! Click on the video to find more about the C.C. Ponycaps.
- Ideal for man buns too
- Made of 40% polyester and 60% cotton
- Long and wide visor ensures sun protection
- Loop and hook closure allow easy adjustment
- Breathable mesh allows constant airflow
- Suitable for all seasons and outdoor activities
- Stiff material
7. Best Foldable Design: AUOON Sport Cap
Are you planning to go hiking, fishing, or camping? Then an ordinary cap won’t suffice. You will need one that not only protects your face from the harmful sun rays but also repels rainwater, is sweat-proof, and provides a snug fit. Like this cap, for example, comes with an invisible mesh that ensures to keep the rain, humidity, and sweat in control. And since the fabric is breathable, it increases ventilation to keep you comfortable and light-headed all the time. However, beside all this, the best takeaway has to be the unique 3-panel foldable design that makes it easy to pack and store even in back pockets plus the durability is amazing as well! Need we say more?
- Anti-UV and UPF 40+ tested cap
- Blocks 95% harmful UV rays
- Quick-drying, flexible, and durable cap
- Long and wide visor design to minimize sun glare
- Balances optimum temperature to prevent dampness
- Adjustable snap with a stretch and Velcro closure
- The lotus effect makes sure the rainwater slides off easily.
- The Velcro strap may be a hassle for your hair.
8. Best For Adventure Seekers: HH HOFNEN Quick Dry Cap
Soft, breathable, and quick-drying— this sporty cap is for the athlete in you! Hit the road or treadmill for some intense workouts without worry about sweating or feeling stuffy. This running cap is designed to provide the utmost comfort! Also, it ensures to protect your face from sunburn with anti-UV coating and a long visor. Ideal for those who prefer to go hiking and camping as well, this ultra-comfortable cap will not disappoint. Give it a try!
- Made of 100% polyester
- UPF 50+ tested for ultimate sun protection
- Guarantees a snug fit and ponytail-compatible
- Lightweight and moisture-wicking fabric
- Adjustable with a buckle and Velcro closure
- The cap has reflective details with strips to improve visibility at night.
- It’s not rain-proof.
9. Best Durable: 2XU Run Cap
For all those who have a thick mane, a highly-ventilated cap is essential to avoid dampness. 2XU Run Cap, other than having vented panels, is made of soft and breathable mesh fabric to offer optimum comfort. So, if you are into intense workouts or looking for a cap that’ll keep your head cool and dry during the extreme weather, this running cap is a great choice for you. The best thing about it is the functionality as it comes with a Velcro and strap closure for easy and quick adjustment, even on the go. Don’t skip it! Watch the review of the 2XU Run Cap to know everything about the cap.
- Blocks harmful UV rays
- Made of 100% nylon and Anti-UV fabric
- Ensures a secure fit even on windy days
- Lightweight, durable, and moisture-wicking
- Ideal for long wear, hiking, camping, workouts, etc.
- It’s not machine-washable.
10. Best Moisture-Wicking: ZZEWINTRAVELER Quick Dry Cap
Believe it or not, but a soft and cozy cap has a different kind of fandom out there. Offering a feel-good experience every time you wear it, this cap by ZZEWINTRAVELER claims to be anti-wrinkling and stuffy too. So, if you are particularly looking for something that feels soft, light, and comfortable on the head, you might as well try this outdoor cap. And, although it feels light on the head, it is designed to block the most harmful rays of the sun. And since the mesh is ultra-soft and breathable, your head stays cool and comfy all the time. Give it a try!
- Made of 100% polyester mesh fabric
- Long and wide visor minimizes sun glare
- Durable and provide optimum sun protection
- Buckle closure with adjustable webbing option
- Dries quickly, moisture-wicking, and sweat-proof
- Ideal for long wear, casual wear, sports, running, etc.
- May not be ideal for windy weather
Functional and fashionable, your sporty look can’t be more upscale than this! Made of bamboo viscose, this outdoor cap is not only moisture-wicking but transfers the sweat odor from the hair to the last layer of the running hat for quick evaporation. And given how ultra-light and breathable it is, you’ll barely feel any weight on your head on wearing this cap. Highly absorbent and designed with a dynamic moisture management system, it keeps your head cool and fresh even after intense workouts! Yep, moisture-absorbing bamboo hat anyone?
- Guarantees to absorb maximum moisture
- Provides optimum sun protection with UPF 30+
- Offers a comfortable and snug fit
- Flexible, quick-drying, and durable cap
- May not be suitable to wear during windy weather
Let not the sweat or humidity keep you from going on walks or jogs during summer! Wear this running cap by Under Armour is one of the best women’s sports accessories, which is designed with a special sweatband to keep your head cool and dry with its moisture-wicking feature. And did you notice the pre-curved visor? Structured to offer protection from the sun glare, it also looks sleek and stylish if you are into trendy sportswear. And a quick tip— you can use the extended visor to conceal your identity in public too! Now, can your regular hat be this versatile? Tell, we’ll wait. Watch the video to know about the benefits of the Under Armour women’s sports headgear.
- Unstructured cap with a low-profile design
- Adjustable with a loop and hook closure
- Lightweight, stretchy, quick-drying, and durable
- The mesh fabric guarantees high ventilation.
- The anti-UV coating ensures protection from harmful rays.
- May not provide a snug fit
Lastly, this running cap for women that not only looks cool but keeps you cool and sun-protected too! This is one of the most effective performance hats with a 6-panel design that ensures a snug fit on the head, it also claims to keep the sun and sweat away with its DRI-STAR technology. Also, the long and curved visor promises minimum sun glare! Just what you need to stay dry and sweat-free yet stylish while on the run— upgrade from your regular boring cap to this lightweight crown today.
- Made of 100% polyester fabric
- Breathable, super-light, and durable
- Adjustable with Velcro straps, loop, and hook closure
- Ensure a secure fit all day long
- The visor may be too long for some.
There you go! Those were the 13 best women running hats for women to block the sun rays. And if you are wondering how to pick the right running hat or cap for yourself, then you must check out the buying guide below.
Buying Guide – Best Running Hat For Women
How To Choose The Best Running Hat?
Choosing the right running hat is absolutely important if you are into workouts, hiking, or need ultimate protection from the sun. And here are some features you must look out for:
Fitting: Before you choose a hat, measure your head circumference so you are completely sure about the measurement. Though most of the caps have adjustable closures, it is ideal to pick one which is closest to your size, to get that perfect snug fit.
Closure: Women and Velcro don’t really get along, considering how easily hair gets stuck in the straps! However, several caps ensure no such experiences, and Velcro, on the other hand, guarantees a perfect fit. Besides this, caps are available with buckle closures too. So, pick the one that best suits your needs!
Sun and Sweat proof: Nobody likes sweating while jogging or running, which is why you must choose a cap made of moisture-wicking fabric. Other than high-absorbing power, your cap should have an anti-UV coating as well, to keep your head from heating up and to block harmful UV rays.
Visor & Underbill: A cap should have a long and wide visor to keep your head, forehead, and nose protected from the sun rays. Also, the darker the underbill the better, so it doesn’t reflect the sun glare and reduce visibility during the day.
Ventilation: At no point should the cap feel stuffy, otherwise, it’s not a running cap at all. Hence before choosing one, check if it has ventilation panels and slots. This is to make sure that you don’t feel stuffy or damp while running, and your head remains cool and dry all the time.
If you are into sports or regular workouts, you must have your own running hat! People don’t tend to cater to hats as much as they spend time purchasing the right shoes, socks, and even running trousers. Hats or the appropriate headwear can help you run, jog, or practice sports without being sweaty or fazed by the sun. You can opt for the Nike Dri-FIT Baseball Cap that offers a breathable fit with an airy and perforated design, the GADIEMKENSD UPF 50+ Running Cap that flaunts a durable structure and provides maximum sun protection, or the TrailHeads Running Hat that is crafted in a low-profile design for extreme comfort and high performance. Good-quality, lightweight running hats can keep your head cool and airy, while the ventilated panels in them ensure no dampness due to the added moisture-wicking sweatbands. Do not be concerned about feeling stuffy, as most hats have a low-profile design with a loop and hook closure that offers a comfortable fit!
Why Trust StyleCraze?
The author of this article, Shreya Vishwanathan, is a sports lover. She believes that fitness is key to keeping herself healthy in the long run. With that in mind, she tried out different running hats and curated a list with the best fitting, closure, and other factors in mind. These running hats are designed to protect you from sun and sweat and ensure your head is cool and ventilated.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do runners wear a cap?
Intense activities like running, jogging, or hiking outdoors can expose you to extreme weather conditions and even sun glare. So, to avoid an increase in body heat, sunburn, or excessive sweating, runners prefer to wear a cap during outdoor activities.
Is it bad to wear a hat while running?
No, in fact, a good running hat will keep you cool and protected from the sun while running. So, it is ideal that you wear a hat while running, jogging, etc.
How can I protect my face from the sun while running?
One of the best ways to protect your face other than sunscreen is to wear a good running hat. They not only keep your head and face protected from the sun glare but also maintain optimum temperature to prevent excessive sweating and dampness.
Do hats really protect you from the sun?
Yes, they do! Though sunscreen is indispensable, a running hat is like an extra shield that protects your forehead, eyes, skin, and neck-front with the long visor. It also keeps your head from heating up due to the constant sun glare.
Do black hats heat up quicker?
Many would avoid a black hat because the shade tends to absorb heat faster than white, but on the other hand, it will absorb body heat too thus keeping you cool and dry for longer.
Do hats make you sweat?
A good running hat will not make you sweat. It will in fact prevent sweating because of the ventilated panels on the hat that allow incessant airflow and keep your head cool and dry.
Can I wear a hat instead of sunscreen?
Sunscreen is absolutely necessary if you are going to step out in the sun. A running hat only adds extra protection with the help of the long visor, and will not completely shield you from the sun.
Is it good to wear a hat while working out?
Ideally, you should as it keeps your head from heating up (in case you are outdoors) and prevents sweating with the help of the moisture-wicking feature.
Should you wear a hat when running in cold weather?
The harmful UV rays can penetrate through the clouds during winter too, so to protect your skin and face from the sun, it is preferable to wear a lightweight running hat during outdoor activities.
- Best Hats For People With Big And Wide Heads
- Best Fishing Hats For Women
- Best Safari Hats For Your Next Wilderness Adventure
- Best Gardening Hats For Protection From Sun