Silky, lustrous, shiny, and long hair is any woman’s dream. Healthy hair defines the essence of a woman – the longer and shinier your hair is – the more people look up to you as a woman who knows how to present herself. While some women are naturally blessed with coveted genes, it takes the other lot an hour a day dedicated to hair care.
Unfortunately, some women fall prey to skin conditions that have an adverse effect on their scalp leading to hair loss, dandruff, itching, and boils. In this post, we will discuss the 10 best shampoos available in the market that help prevent such skin conditions. Read on to know more!
What Is Salicylic Acid
Salicylic acid falls is keratolytic that helps soften keratin in the skin. It is similar to medicines like aspirin. It dissolves the substance that causes skin clogging by alleviating the moisture content in the skin, thereby aiding in the shedding of excessive build-up. It is used as a key ingredient in various skin-care products to help in the treatment of conditions like psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis.
What Does Salicylic Acid Do
Salicylic acid is used to treat skin and scalp conditions. It performs multiple functions of which treatment of psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, elimination of dandruff, flakes, and redness are some of the most useful ones. Salicylic acid hydrates and helps in the shedding of dead cells by penetrating deep into the skin, leaving it feeling soft and fresh. It also helps to reduce the occurrence of facial and scalp acne, thereby reducing itchiness, irritation, and build-up
10 Best Salicylic Acid Shampoos
1. MG217 PSORIASIS THERAPEUTIC SHAMPOO + CONDITIONER
This 2-in-1 shampoo-conditioner, recommended by doctors, is formulated using salicylic acid, chamomile extract, and panthenol to remove flakes. It softens the hair and protects it from damage. It helps prevent the recurrence of itchy-scalp by avoiding build-up after every wash. Those who have psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis can find relief by using this shampoo regularly, and The National Psoriasis Foundation has approved it as well.
- Natural extracts formula
- Prevents scale build-up
- Contains 3% salicylic acid
- Does not ship to some parts of the world
2. Neutrogena T/SAL Therapeutic Shampoo
This shampoo by Neutrogena is hailed as the best option to treat any scalp issue. It contains salicylic acid, which helps get rid of crusty, flaky scales on the scalp, thereby reducing itchiness, irritation, and redness. Wet your hair and leave a small amount of the shampoo on the scalp for a few minutes after gently massaging it throughout the hair. For best results, use the shampoo twice a week after consulting with the doctor.
- Color-free formula
- Contains clinically proven salicylic acid.
- Check with a doctor if you are using topical acne treatment as both treatment options cannot be used simultaneously.
3. DHS SAL Shampoo
DHS SAL Shampoo is a treatment recommended by doctors to tackle scalp conditions arising from psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, and dandruff. It helps get rid of crusty scales, itching, and related irritations. Composed of clinically-approved salicylic acid, which helps treat various scalp conditions, has an effect that lasts hours after shampooing. Apply a generous amount on the scalp, lather, and leave it on for a few minutes. It is recommended to use this formula twice a week for best results.
- Contains clinically proven salicylic acid
4. Dermarest Psoriasis Medicated Shampoo Plus Conditioner
This medicated shampoo plus conditioner is formulated using a zinc complex to treat those who have psoriasis and also moisturizes the scalp. This non-greasy formula helps relieve symptoms like itchiness, scalp irritation, redness, flaking, etc. and prevents recurrence too. It is made using natural ingredients like green tea extract, safflower extract, kukui nut oil, anti-oxidants, and pro-vitamin B5. It is recommended to use this unique formula twice a week for best results.
- Fragrance-free formula
- Recognized by the National Psoriasis Foundation
- Contains 3% Salicylic Acid
- Slightly expensive
5. Avalon Organics Anti-Dandruff Medicated Shampoo
This anti-dandruff shampoo is formulated using organic ingredients derived from nature. Some of the key ingredients include aloe vera, chamomile oil, tea tree oil, which, when combined with 2% salicylic acid, provides ultimate relief from symptoms that arise with conditions like psoriasis, scalp-redness, and itching. This product ensures to protect the hair as well as render it looking shiny and healthy for a long time.
- Contains organic ingredients
- No preservatives or synthetic colors
6. P&S Seborrheic Dermatitis And Psoriasis Shampoo
Those suffering from symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis will find this shampoo most beneficial to their skin irritation and related issues. This specially formulated shampoo helps control, manage, and reduce scaling of the scalp, redness, and itchiness and fights the recurrence of these skin conditions. It also helps to eliminate the greasiness from the regular P&S Liquid, leaving your hair feeling soft, fresh and healthy.
- Contains salicylic acid
- Helps fight psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis
- Safe on color-treated hair
- Effects might show after a long period for some people
7. XtraCare Dandruff Shampoo
This shampoo is ideal for treating your dandruff problems effectively. It helps reduce itchiness, redness, and ensures that flaky skin on your scalp doesn’t come back. This specially formulated anti-dandruff solution promotes the regrowth of healthy hair and leaves it feeling shiny and fresh.
- Contains 3% salicylic acid
- Controls itch and scales
- Gets rid of dandruff
8. Soft Sheen-Carson Dark & Lovely Healthy-Gloss Moisture Shampoo
This formula containing satin oil helps restore the 5 important signs of healthy hair. It is a gentle cleansing formula that cleanses and transforms the strands, reduces flakiness, and prevents scales build-up. It is suitable for dry hair and promotes shine and growth. Apply a generous amount onto your hair, and gently massage to produce lather, rinse off with cold water. For best results, use this shampoo thrice a week.
- Contains satin oil
- Restores 5 signs of healthy hair
- Suitable for dry hair
- Might not help detangle hair
9. Salve Salicylic Acid And Coal Tar Cosalic Solution
This range of shampoo is exceptionally effective in fighting symptoms of psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis. It also helps prevent the recurrence of dandruff and related skin issues. Formulated with 1% coal tar and 3% salicylic acid, it is suitable for all hair types. It aids in getting rid of scalp irritation and itching. For the best results, it is recommended to use this product weekly once.
- Contains 1% coal tar and 3% salicylic acid
- Avoids dandruff recurrence
- Gets rid of psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis
- Highly runny consistency
- No refunds if not returned within 30 days.
10. L’Oreal Professionnel Paris Salicylic And Volumetry Shampoo
This shampoo by L’Oreal is suitable for flat hair and fine hair. It helps add volume and bounce to your hair, and the anti-gravity formula doesn’t weigh hair down. It is one of the best available shampoos that aids in removing build-up on the scalp leaving it clean, healthy, and refreshed. It also makes the hair strands soft, smooth, and silky. For best results, clean your hair using this shampoo often. Lather the shampoo onto wet hair and rinse thoroughly for shiny, bouncy hair.
- Contains salicylic acid
- Gives hair shine and bounce
- Removes build-up
- Adds volume
- Slightly expensive
Now that we have taken a look at the 10 best salicylic acid shampoos, let us know more about using them.
How Often Should I Wash My Hair With A Salicylic Acid Shampoo
Shampoos containing salicylic acid contain a small concentration of the substance in them. Therefore, regular usage of such shampoos to treat one’s scalp conditions will not adversely affect the hair. In fact, it will help add shine, volume, cleanse hair, as well as make it look healthier and more nourished than before.
Is Salicylic Acid Safe To Use
Yes, salicylic acid is safe to use provided the below-mentioned points are adhered to:
- Run an allergy test by using a small amount initially.
- Then slowly use it every other day and wait for skin reactions.
- Skincare products containing salicylic acid can be used regularly until the skin condition has been treated if no reaction/skin irritation occurs.
- It is recommended by doctors to use products containing salicylic acid, in moderation.
- Since it penetrates deep into the skin to remove build-up and bacterial growth, don’t over-use the product.
- Follow directions carefully, as mentioned on the leaflets.
- Consult a doctor before trying out any treatment options to get relief from psoriasis, dandruff problems, etc.
Haircare is a regime everyone should strictly adhere to just as one would do in the gym to stay fit and healthy. Healthy hair enhances not only the outward appearance but makes the person adorning it feel rejuvenated and confident. Investing in hair care products is, thus, as essential as one would invest in food or home-décor products. Those with skin conditions and scalp-issues should never neglect tell-tale signs of an onset of skin diseases. The earlier a related issue is recognized and tackled, the better. So, wait not a second longer – ring up your dermatologist to book that much-needed appointment, invest in a product that best suits your hair-type/scalp issue, and flaunt those locks!
Did you find this post informative? Let us know in the comments below!