Curly hair is stunning, but you can always transform your hair into relaxed hair if you are looking for a new style. A relaxed hair is a process where you transform your curly hair into straight hair using a chemical cream. But to maintain this hairstyle, you need to use the best shampoo for relaxed hair. This transformation is permanent to prevent frizz and flyaways. It also makes your hair manageable. This article provides a collection of 8 best shampoos that have garnered multiple positive reviews online. These shampoos are perfect to manage your relaxed hair. So, scroll down to check them out!
In This Article
8 Best Shampoos For Relaxed Hair
The AvlonKeracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo removes excess sebum from the hair and scalp without being dry. It is formulated with ingredients that reduce interfiber friction, making the hair soft, smooth and sleek. This hydrating shampoo repairs damaged hair and prevents flyaways and split ends. It also helps in moisture retention and promotes healthy hair. Many reviewers praise the light-weight formula for making their hair extremely manageable post-shampooing. This sulfate-free product is ideal for color-treated and damaged hair. Take a look at this video detailing a tester’s experience for more information about the product.
- Prevents flyaways
- Reduces split ends
- Contains EDTA
The Roots Naturelle Redeem Moisturizing Shampoo is formulated with shea butter and jojoba. It imparts a silky shine to the hair. This natural shampoonourishes and refreshes the scalp while having a softening effect on the tresses. It is sulfate-free and ideal for all hair types, including African-American, fine, thinning, and dry hair. This video showcasing a reviewer’s experience offers a more detailed explanation of the product.
- Suitable for all hair types
- Pleasant fragrance
- Gentle formula
- Might cause dry scalp
The Just Nutritive Shampoo Relaxed Hair improves hair texture and appearance. It reduces dryness and roughness, making the hair soft, smooth, and moisturized. This natural shampoo contains nourishing ingredients like oils, butter, and herbal extracts that replenish dry hair with nutrients that make hair shiny and restore strength. It does not leave behind residues that clog the scalp pores. This gentle formula is free of harsh detergents like SLS, SLES, and parabens to maintain optimal hair health.
- Prevents hair breakage
- Gentle formula
- Contains alcohol
AvlonKeracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo
The Roots Naturelle Redeem Moisturizing Shampoo
Just Nutritive Shampoo Relaxed Hair
|All, Oily, Dry, Straight
|3.3 x 3.3 x 10.3 inches
| 8.2 x 3 x 2.1 inches
The Elasta QP Shampoo For Relaxed Hair is specially formulated with extra-gentle cleansing agents to nourish the hair without being dry. It strengthens relaxed and color-treated hair. This shampoo enhances hair manageability and detangles the hair. It contains vitamin-rich olive oil that moisturizes the hair and restores balance, boosting overall hair health. The gentle formula conditions the scalp and smoothens the dry hair.
- Detangles the hair
- Conditions the scalp
- Smoothens the hair
- Gentle formula
- Contains added fragrance and color
The Pantene Pro-V Truly Relaxed Hair Lightweight Shampoo cleanses relaxed hair without weighing it down. It contains jojoba and coconut oils that tame frizz and prevent breakage. The rich oil-based formula smoothens the hair and protects it from damage. This shampoo is unisex and suitable for color-treated hair. You may check this video detailing a tester’s experience for a better understanding of this anti-breakage formula.
- Protects the hair from damage
- Smoothens the hair
- Contains SLS, SLES, EDTA, and sodium chloride
The Curly Hair Solutions Treatment Shampoo contains a concentrated blend of panthenol and magnesium, which improves hair elasticity and strengthens your hair.
This regular shampoo also contains nourishing ingredients like vitamin B5 and silk amino acids that soften and repair damaged hair. It can be used on colored, chemically relaxed, and permed hair. This pH-balanced shampoo rebuilds and fortifies the hair by repairing the damage. It is cruelty-free, water-based, biodegradable, and silicone-free.
- Strengthens the hair
- Gentle formula
- Contains added fragrance and sulfates
The Zotos Quantum Clarifying Shampoo is formulated with a dual chelating system that breaks down minerals, chlorine, and hard water deposits on the scalp and hair. The perfect shampoo is made with Quantum’s advanced EQL-3 complex, which is a blend of vitamin E, vegetable protein, polyquaternium-10, and sweet almond extract. These enriching and moisturizing ingredients repair, restore, protect, and condition the hair. Its non-drying formula and squeaky-clean results have made it a favorite among many reviewers. It should be used before chemical services as it has hair-strengthening properties.
- Strengthens the hair
- Contains SLS, added fragrance, and color
The GKHair Moisturizing Shampoo is formulated with organic and natural ingredients that restore broken hair bonds to promote healthy hair growth and repair thermally damaged hair. The keratin proteins, vitamins B5 and E, and linseed oil hydrate and strengthen the hair, curbing the effects of excessive styling.
This hydrating shampoo makes the hair smooth, silky, and soft. It can also be used on color-treated hair as it protects hair color by forming a protein layer on the hair, increasing its vibrancy. This regular shampoo repairs hair damage caused by harsh chemicals and heat. It removes unwanted oil and impurities from the scalp and hair. This protein-rich, sulfate-free product also controls frizz. It does not contain phthalates, DEA, TEA, gluten, parabens, and silicones.
- Frizz control
- Contains sodium and EDTA
Now that you know which products you can add to your everyday hair care routine, here are some tips on how to pick the perfect shampoo for your relaxed hair.
How Should You Choose A Shampoo For Relaxed Hair?
- Ingredients: Pick shampoos with moisturizing and fortifying ingredients like keratin, coconut oil, jojoba, and aloe vera. These nourishing ingredients not only condition relaxed hair but also promote hair growth, repair damaged hair and protect it. Opt for shampoos with organic ingredients over chemicals like SLS, parabens, and silicones that might worsen your hair condition.
- Added Features: Shampoos specifically formulated for relaxed hair will offer restorative care and detangle the hair, prevent frizz, and control humidity. Opt for these shampoos as they make the hair more manageable. Also, look for thickening shampoos that add body and volume to your hair, enhance shine, and provide natural curl definition.
- Formula: Choose shampoos with mild formulas. Relaxed hair is sensitive and prone to damage. Gentle formulas cleanse the sensitive scalp and hair without any irritation.
Read on to know how you can care for and maintain relaxed hair.
How To Take Care of Relaxed African Hair
- Pick the right relaxer. There are two types of relaxers – lye and non-lye relaxers. Lye relaxers have a high pH level that might cause irritation. Relaxers also contain chemicals that might not suit your hair or skin type. Consult a stylist to know which relaxer is suitable for you.
- Deep condition your hair once a week. Relaxing your hair chemically might lead to damaged and dull hair which is prone to breaking. Deep conditioning treatments will strengthen the hair and improve its overall texture.
- Oil your hair regularly. Oiling your hair with coconut, argan, or castor oils will fortify and nourish it. They have antioxidant properties that protect the hair from damage.
- Stop overusing heat-styling products and tools. Heat styling tools will damage your chemically relaxed hair even more. If you absolutely have to use a hair styling product or tool, use a heat protectant before styling your hair.
- Get regular trims for fresh and healthy hair texture. This also prevents split ends and breakage.
- Use hair products specially formulated for relaxed hair. These shampoos contain nourishing ingredients like keratin, aloe vera, and oils, which strengthen weak and chemically processed hair.
- Wash your hair once a week. Relaxed hair is prone to excess sebum production, and product residue might clog the scalp pores. Cleansing your hair once a week will clear your scalp and prevent dryness, damage, or infections.
- Get constant touch-ups on your new hair to prevent hair breakage. The amount of touch-up required depends on your hair type. Check with your hairstylist to know how often you should get it done.
Infographic: Common Hair Care Mistakes To Avoid
We need to take care of our hair the same way we take care of our skin and body. Having shiny, voluminous locks is a blessing, and it is crucial to do every bit to make them grow better and healthy. However, unknowingly, we commit a few mistakes in our hair and scalp care routine that adversely impact the hair, scalp, and roots. Check out the infographic below for some very common hair care mistakes to avoid.
Though relaxed hair is easy to maintain, you need to get your hands on the best shampoos for relaxed hair to maintain your tresses in the long run. The AvlonKeracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo is great if you’re struggling with damaged hair, while the Roots Naturelle Redeem Moisturizing Shampoo is perfect for those with dry and parched hair. You can also try the Elasta QP Shampoo For Relaxed Hair for chemically-treated hair. These shampoos help strengthen and moisturize your hair while addressing specific concerns like product buildup, dry scalp, or hair thinning. In addition, they help prevent frizz and flyaways while making your hair manageable. The reviewed options in the curated list are quite the best ones to add to your hair care routine. They have a gentle formula free of harmful chemicals and they protect your hair from potential damage. However, it is best to perform a patch test before application to check for allergic reactions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you wet relaxed hair every day?
Washing your relaxed hair daily is not beneficial. On your wash days, use a nourishing and moisturizing conditioner to keep your dehydrated hair moisturized thoroughly.
How often should you oil relaxed hair?
You can oil your relaxed hair weekly to give them proper nutrition.
What should you not use on relaxed hair?
Never use a narrow-tooth comb while brushing your relaxed hair. Avoid brushing your hair when they are wet. Finally, don’t use heating tools on your loose hair without applying heat protectants on them.
How soon can I relax my hair after shampoo?
Before relaxing your hair, you should wait for at least 3-4 days. Experts believe a one week gap is the most ideal.
What type of shampoo is the best for relaxed hair?
A sulfate-free shampoo provides proper nourishment for the hair and sensitive scalp and doesn’t irritate. The Roots Naturelle Redeem Moisturizing Shampoo is a sulfate-free shampoo that benefits every hair type.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
The author of this article, Shiboli Chakraborti, is a certified skin care coach and well-versed in hair care. Here, she lists the best shampoos for relaxed hair that tame curls and reduces frizz. She conducted a thorough research of the ingredients used in the shampoos and spent hours reading user feedback before curating this list of the best options for her readers. The recommended formulas are lightweight, prevent hair breakage, and come with a pleasant fragrance that uplift the senses.
- Best Shampoos And Conditioners For Permed Hair
- Products To Use When Transitioning To Natural Hair
- Best Relaxers (Perms) For Black Hair
- Simple And Effective Tips To Take Care Of Your Permed Hair