13 Best Shampoos For Scalp Psoriasis That Actually Work – 2023
Expert-reviewed, gentle formulations specialized in soothing itchy, scaly skin.
Psoriasis is a skin ailment that increases sensitivity, and the easiest way to deal with it is by using the best shampoo for psoriasis. If your head feels dry, red, itchy, irritated, and inflamed, you are probably experiencing its symptoms. The biggest problem is that it causes flaking and dandruff. You might have to give up on dark clothes just to avoid being embarrassed by the dandruff deposit on your shoulder. If you have tried solving it with your regular shampoo, but it did not help, there might be a need for special shampoos crafted to beat psoriasis. Go through our list of 13 shampoos that will help you in managing your scalp problem and let you flaunt healthy shiny hair all year round.
In This Article
What Does A Psoriasis Shampoo Do?
Psoriasis shampoos are formulated to relieve inflammation in the scalp by sloughing away the build-up of scales and dead skin cells. This can make it difficult for other topical treatments like serums or essences to penetrate the skin or maintain a healthy moisture balance. Shampoos used to treat psoriasis contain antifungal ingredients like coal tar which helps clear away the skin cell build-up and coconut oil that effectively moisturizes a dry scalp. As scalps that have psoriasis may feel hot and inflamed with a burning sensation, the shampoos use cooling ingredients like tea tree oil, aloe vera, mint, and menthol for a refreshed feel. Psoriasis shampoos have a gentle formula that doesn’t strip away your scalp’s vital oils and helps maintain the pH balance of your skin and acts as an accessible scalp treatment.
Nourish Your Irritated Scalp With The 13 Best Shampoos For Psoriasis In 2023
1. Best Gentle Formula:Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo – Extra Strength
This Neutrogena psoriasis shampoo is recommended by dermatologists to curb hair and scalp issues like dandruff. Containing a double dose of the T/Gel Original Formula, the 1% coal tar in the formula helps tame down a flaky, red, and itchy scalp for hours after it’s cleaned. For gentle cleansing, the rich amber solution in this T/Gel shampoo for psoriasis works its magic and your hair is left soft and manageable owing to the added conditioners. To care for scalp conditions, lather up with Neutrogena’s over-the-counter psoriasis shampoo. Check out the detailed review of the product in this video.
- Controls redness, flakiness, and itchiness
- Works for dandruff, psoriasis, and seborrheic dermatitis
- Gentle formula
- Conditions hair
- Has a cooling effect
- Leaves hair manageable and soft
- Some may find the odor overpowering
2. Best Dermatologist Tested:Dermarest Psoriasis Medicated Shampoo + Conditioner
Dermarest’s Medicated Shampoo And Conditioner for psoriasis is a powerful duo formulated with 3% salicylic acid and a unique zinc complex. You can use the unscented Dermarest Psoriasis Medicated Shampoo formula twice a week to control and remove scalp build-up, eliminate itching, soothe irritation, and restore moisture in dry and brittle hair. With this medicated shampoo for psoriasis, you can now say goodbye to redness, flaking, and scaling that might be keeping you up at night. Watch this video of the product for more information.
- Restores moisture
- Relieves itchy, red, flaky, and scaly scalp
- Controls and eliminates scalp build-up
- Provides relief to irritated scalp
- May not be ideal for sensitive skin
3. Best Immediate Relief:Medicasp Coal Tar Dandruff Shampoo
If dandruff has been irritating both you and your scalp, you need to try out Medicasp’s psoriasis shampoo. It acts fast to give you immediate relief from the symptoms of dandruff, psoriasis, and seborrhoeic dermatitis with its medicated formula. Containing 0.5% coal tar, you will notice reduced itching and maximized relief. All the redness, flakiness, and irritation that your scalp faces will be a thing of the past with the Medicasp shampoo for psoriasis.
- Works for dandruff, psoriasis, and seborrheic dermatitis
- Reduces redness, flakiness, and itching
- Relieves an irritated scalp
- Cares for brittle, dull, and weak hair
- Lathers up easily
- Might discolor grey, blonde, or bleached hair
4. Best Steroid-Free Formula:PsoriaTrax Anti-Dandruff Tar Shampoo
The best psoriasis shampoo gives instant relief from the uncomfortable symptoms your scalp faces. PsoriaTrax’s Anti-Dandruff Tar Shampoo definitely falls under that category owing to its 5% coal tar solution that effectively clears all plaque. Formulated without any steroids, this shampoo for scalp psoriasis prevents flare-ups and also treats conditions like eczema, dermatitis, and dandruff. Relief is only a lather away with the PsoriaTrax Anti-Dandruff Tar Shampoo.
- Strong and effective formula
- Works for dandruff, psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis
- Prevents flare-ups
- Removes scales
- Contains fragrance
5. Best For Color-Treated Hair:Nizoral Scalp Psoriasis Shampoo & Conditioner
When you have color-treated hair and your scalp is always irritated, the struggle is all too real. One of the best shampoos for scalp psoriasis, Nizoral’s formula is medicated with 3% salicylic acid for relief from symptoms. For your healthiest scalp yet, Nizoral’s best shampoo and conditioner for psoriasis contain ingredients like green tea extracts, vitamins E, C, and B5 along with tea tree oil to gently clean and condition hair. The fast-acting solution will have you bidding farewell to a red, itchy, and irritated scalp in no time! We think this is definitely one of the best shampoos for psoriasis and color-treated hair.
- Relieves scalp irritation
- Contains vitamins and green tea extract
- Tea tree oil provides a cooling effect
- Gentle formula cleans and conditions hair
- Works on color-treated hair
- Free of sulfates, dyes, alcohol, parabens, preservatives, and artificial fragrances
- Might not help with flakes
6. Best For Sensitive Scalp:Kenkoderm Therapeutic Shampoo
Kenkoderm has one of the best shampoos for psoriasis out there as its dermatologist-developed formula is gentle on an agitated scalp. With 3% salicylic acid, Kenkoderm’s Therapeutic Shampoo relieves itching and clears up a crusty and flaky build-up. If you find it difficult to keep your scalp calm due to dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis, Kenkoderm’s psoriasis hair shampoo works even after you’ve washed it off. With no harsh colors or fragrances, even those with sensitive skin and scalp will find this shampoo safe to use.
- Removes build-up
- Gentle formula
- Relieves itchy scalp
- Might discolor color-treated hair
7. Best Chemical-free Shampoo: Psoriasis Honey Renewing Shampoo
Itchy scalp and dry strands are now a thing of the past with the Psoriasis Honey Renewing Shampoo. It is enriched with natural ingredients such as argan oil and aloe vera juice that hydrate and strengthen your hair follicles. The shampoo deeply cleanses the scalp and treats issues like dryness, allergy, and inflammation. In addition, the shampoo contains oat extract, honey, glycerin, and essential oils that add shine and vibrancy to your hair strands. It does not dry out the hair but rather improves your hair texture, making them appear smooth, soft, and shiny. The shampoo offers total haircare and protects your hair against external pollutants.
- Essential oils
- Controls psoriasis
- Fights scalp itching
- Treats dandruff
- Attractive packaging
- No artificial fragrance
8. Best For Hair Fall:Amplixin Scalp Therapy Shampoo
To nourish your hair back to its optimum health, give Amplixin’s Scalp Therapy Shampoo a shot. This psoriasis treatment shampoo is infused with tea tree, jojoba, and peppermint oils to treat a dry and flaky scalp along with aloe vera that boasts healing and cooling properties. As a dry scalp can cause hair fall, the Ampligro Complex combines red clover, bio-mimetic peptides, and caffeine to stimulate the scalp and reduce inflammation. No matter what your hair type, this chemical-free top-rated psoriasis shampoo will give your scalp a boost of nutrition.
- Reduces hair fall
- Calms an itchy and flaky scalp
- Infused with nourishing oils
- Relieves scalp inflammation
- Free of sulfates and parabens
- Might not lather well
9. Best Non-Stripping Quality:WildNaturals Eczema & Psoriasis Shampoo
WildNaturals offers a good shampoo for psoriasis that uses coconut oil extract as a natural foaming agent to give your scalp a gentle cleanse. It is also enriched with aloe vera and cehami extract which penetrate the skin to relieve redness and itchiness. With a pH-balanced formula of 5.5, you won’t find it to be stripping and all your skin’s vital oils remain intact. As it also helps retain moisture and prevents drying of skin, we think this is among the best shampoos for psoriasis on the scalp. To deeply condition your hair, the formula also contains orange peel oil and manuka honey!
- pH-balanced formula
- Uses coconut extracts for foaming
- Free of SLS, parabens, and fragrance
- Safe for children
- Might not effectively clean oily hair
10. Best For Soothing Inflammation:Home Health Psoriasis Medicated Scalp And Body Wash
Don’t you just love it when medicated shampoos for scalp psoriasis can also be used as body washes? As psoriasis can occur anywhere on your skin, Home Health’s effective formula contains 2% salicylic acid as an active ingredient to soothe inflammation. And for overall healthier skin, the Psoriasis Medicated Scalp And Body Wash is enriched with carrot and jojoba oils along with allantoin, aloe vera gel, and echinacea extract. You’ll find these elements in this natural psoriasis shampoo to be extremely moisturizing while also working to heal red, flaky, itchy, and scaly skin.
- Can be used on both scalp and body
- Moisturizes skin
- Gentle formula
- Soothes inflammation
- Made without parabens, gluten, and mineral oils
- Some may find the consistency to be too thin.
11. Best Scalp-Healing Properties:Mountain Falls Therapeutic Dandruff Shampoo
Mountain Falls offers a psoriasis shampoo that works for dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis as well. With 5% coal tar, its scalp-healing properties prevent the discomfort of flakiness, itchiness, redness, and inflammation that can also lower one’s confidence. A single rinse leaves your hair soft, shiny, and easy to manage with a gentle fragrance. Mountain Falls’ Therapeutic Dandruff Shampoo is your best bet for a healthier and cleaner scalp!
- Reduces scalp inflammation
- Leaves hair soft and shiny
- Contains a mild fragrance
- Removes build-up
- Contains sulfates
12. Best For Dry And Itchy Scalp:Healthy Hair Plus Psoriasis Shampoo
For relief from eczema and psoriasis, try the Psoriasis Shampoo by Healthy Hair Plus as it contains emu and jojoba oils to soothe redness and inflammation. This makes way for clearer skin with minimized dandruff flakes, bumps, sores, and itching. Natural menthol and mint renew cells along with zinc and panthenol while also giving a cool and refreshed feeling. What makes this one of the best OTC shampoos for psoriasis is that you can also use it on the face and body if you suffer from this skin condition!
- Heals dry and itchy scalp
- Has a cooling effect
- Clears up skin
- Can be used as a face or body wash
- Also works on eczema, dermatitis, and dandruff
- Renews cells
- Might have a watered-down consistency that is difficult to lather
13. Best For Dry Hair: Roycederm Seborrheic Dermatitis Psoriasis Shampoo
The Rocyderm Seborrheic Shampoo is your one-stop solution for healthy hair. From soothing the scalp to treating irritating itchiness, it does everything. It helps to control problems like psoriasis that causes scalp inflammation and itching. The shampoo gives a relaxing feeling to your scalp by treating dermatitis that causes redness and allergies and getting rid of dandruff, excess oil, etc. It is infused with advanced protocell targeting technology to penetrate the hair roots to make your scalp healthy, hydrated, and clean. It is suitable for people with all hair types and helps to control hair loss.
- Protocell technology
- Treats dermatitis
- Controls psoriasis
- Fights dandruff
- Strengthens hair
- Fights hair-fall
- Soothes scalp
- Controls scalp inflammation
- Clinically tested
Now that we’ve looked at the best shampoos for psoriasis on the market, let’s dive into how you can choose the right one for yourself.
How To Choose The Right Shampoo For Psoriasis
Coal tar is used by most psoriasis shampoo brands and can help reduce itchy skin. However, it is advised to refrain from using a shampoo with coal tar if you happen to have open wounds or blisters. Coconut oil is often used as a foaming agent in the place of sulfates and it has the added benefit of moisturizing the dry skin, strands, and scalp owing to healthy fats. A common and effective ingredient found in shampoos that treat psoriasis is salicylic acid. It is especially helpful for the scales that build upon the inflamed skin of the scalp and salicylic acid shampoos make it easier for topical treatments to be absorbed into the skin as they clear it up.
You can also use ketoconazole shampoos which are effective in getting rid of dandruff and the resulting flaky skin. Ketoconazole is a powerful ingredient that helps reduce inflammation on the scalp. Psoriasis shampoos can use one of these as the main active ingredient in a higher concentration or a mix of a few can also be used as the base.
- Multi-purpose shampoos
Some shampoos that are meant to heal scalp psoriasis can also be used as a body wash for irritated skin. This can also help calming symptoms on the skin and makes for a great option to travel with due to its versatile nature. Some antifungal shampoos also aim to work for other conditions like eczema, seborrheic dermatitis, and dandruff along with psoriasis. If you suffer from one or more of these issues, picking a multi-purpose shampoo will provide you better results. A shampoo-and-conditioner combo can also be availed if you prefer sizing down on the number of products in your hair care routine.
As with any product that you apply directly on your skin and scalp, make it a point to pick a product that makes use of no parabens, preservatives, sulfates, mineral oils, and added fragrances as these can further irritate the scalp and make psoriasis symptoms worse and cause an allergic reaction.
After you’ve gotten your hands on the psoriasis shampoo suited to your needs and preferences, let’s take a look at how you can use it for the best results.
How To Use A Psoriasis Shampoo
- Wet your hair thoroughly and use a coin-sized amount of shampoo.
- Work it onto your scalp and allow it to gently form a lather.
- Let it sit for 5-10 minutes or for as long as the instructions on the packaging direct.
- While rinsing off, prevent excessive rubbing or scratching. Use circular motions with your fingers and give yourself a mini massage.
- If it’s your first time using a psoriasis shampoo or if you happen to have sensitive skin, start out by using the formula once a week. If you don’t notice any irritation or flare-ups, build up the usage up to 2-3 times a week gradually.
- Milder formulas can be used daily but ensure to avoid direct sunlight if you’ve just used a psoriasis shampoo as this can result in a sunburn.
- Psoriasis shampoos that use coal tar as the main ingredient can leave your hair with a chemical odor. If you find it to be unpleasant, follow up your shampoo routine with a conditioner of your choice.
Psoriasis is characterized by dry, red, itchy, and irritated scalp, and you need to use the best shampoos especially made for such scalp types. Psoriasis shampoos are formulated exclusively to relieve inflammation in the scalp by sloughing away the dead skin cells and build-up. These shampoos are packed with anti-fungal ingredients that soothe these symptoms and effectively moisturize the dry scalp. The products listed in the article have a gentle formula, are free from synthetic fragrances, prevent flare-ups, and are recommended by dermatologists. Consider the safety factor and thoroughly go through the ingredients list before choosing the best shampoos for psoriasis.
Frequently Asked Questions
What causes psoriasis of the scalp?
Doctors believe that psoriasis can be genetic and you may get it if someone in the family has a history of the condition. Additionally, it can also result from the immune system causing skin cells to grow quickly, resulting in patches.
How often should you use psoriasis shampoo?
People with sensitive skin should first test out a psoriasis shampoo by using it only once a week and if they have no harsh reaction, they can gradually build it up to twice a week. If you have normal skin, you can use it about 3 times a week but some milder formulas can be used more liberally.
Does washing hair make psoriasis worse?
No, as long as you don’t use hair products that contain irritants like mineral oils, sulfates, and fragrances. Also, ensure to avoid scratching the scalp when washing your hair to avoid open wounds.
Do psoriasis shampoos cause hair loss?
Shampoos for scalp psoriasis contain gentle ingredients that calm symptoms which can also reduce hair fall and induce hair growth.
Can you use ketoconazole shampoo for psoriasis?
Ketoconazole is a medicated ingredient that can be used to treat scalp conditions like psoriasis, dandruff, and eczema. It is available both over-the-counter or you can get it prescribed by your doctor.
Does natural shampoo work for psoriasis?
Yes, there are some natural botanical ingredients like aloe vera, calendula, and coconut oil which make up the base of some psoriasis shampoos and are effective in treating the condition and its symptoms.
- Best Medicated Shampoos To Buy In 2023
- Best Medicated Shampoos For A Dry Scalp
- 14 Best Shampoos For Seborrheic Dermatitis – Reviews And Buying Guide