To retreat hair loss, we often begin by choosing the right shampoos for the hair type and issue. For example, if hair thinning is your major concern, you need the best shampoos for thinning hair. A good shampoo will cleanse all dirt, build-up, and oil from your hair without altering your natural moisture levels. It will also leave your hair feeling fresh and healthy for better hair growth naturally. That’s how shampoo can transform your otherwise falling, dull hair into lively, healthy hair. Some formulae also contain specific ingredients to induce the growth of new hair strands by stimulating the hair follicles.
For you to beat the hair thinning problem effortlessly, we have jotted down the 15 best shampoos for thinning hair below. Check them out and pick one for yourself to get thick, voluminous hair.
In This Article
15 Best Shampoos For Thinning Hair In 2021
1. Best Overall: Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying Shampoo
So gentle that your scalp will love it! From making your hair look denser to cleansing gently enough to create an ideal environment for your tresses to grow, Viviscal is a must-try for hair thinning. Nourishing your hair with the goodness of zinc, keratin, and biotin, the formula also contains naturally-sourced and clinically-tested ingredients such as grape seeds and pea sprouts for intense conditioning. Give it a try! Take a look at this video to know more about the product.
- Safe to use daily
- Ensures healthy-looking hair
- Enhances hair texture and improves elasticity
- Suitable for damaged, color-treated, fine, dry, and thin hair
- Intense fragrance
2. Best Moisturizing: PURA D’OR Hair Thinning Therapy Shampoo
More like a nourishing tonic for your scalp and hair to revive back to its stunning glow! PURA D’OR is blended with biotin, niacin, argan oil, aloe vera, and more, making it an ideal moisturizing formula to reduce shedding, dullness, breakage, and limp strands. Clinically-tested to add volume and a stunning shine to your tresses with every use, you don’t have to worry about scanty hair remarks with this one in your kitty. You may check more about this productin this video.
- Leaves hair soft and silky
- Locks in natural moisture
- Detoxifies scalp and encourages healthy hair growth
- Gentle, hypoallergenic, and vegan
- Safe and protects color-treated hair
- Sulfate-free, paraben-free, gluten-free, and cruelty-free
- Runny consistency
- Not recommended for very dry scalp
3. Best For Sensitive Scalp: Re:Line Biotin Thickening Shampoo
Hair thinning can be a nightmare if not treated at the right time! Hence, this biotin-rich thickening shampoo with B-complex growth formula is a must-try as it claims to tackle hair loss at the roots. Formulated to reduce shedding and also promote thicker and fuller hair, this shampoo is ideal for both men and women. And the best part— it is infused with botanical ingredients such as coconut, aloe vera, rosemary, and saw palmetto to deliver the gentlest care. Yep, a volumizing therapy, anyone?
- Hypoallergenic and color-safe
- Sulfate-free and paraben-free
- Eliminates split ends and dullness
- Restores moisture and provides intense nourishment
- Safe for daily use and sensitive scalp
- Suitable for oily, brittle, bleached, and highlighted hair types
- Dry hair users may have to follow up with a conditioner
4. Best Vitamin-Enriched Formula: Nioxin System 3 Cleanser Shampoo
Are you looking for a shampoo for color-treated thin hair? If yes, then Nioxin is ideal for you. Given how coloring or bleaching can result in a dry scalp, this intense cleanser helps revitalize and deeply nourish with rich humectants and European botanicals. A great option for those dealing with light thinning and want to eliminate the tightness on their scalp, give it a try if you haven’t already!
- Strengthens hair structure
- Adds volume and shine
- Eliminates excess sebum-clogging follicles
- Award-winning shampoo for thinning hair care
- Infused with protein, vitamins, and amino acids
- Suitable for chemically-treated hair
- Not ideal for chronic hair loss
5. Best For Color-Treated Hair: BosleyMD BosRevive Nourishing Shampoo
Is hair loss getting out of control? Or are you noticing more and more hair on your hairbrush lately? Then you must try BosleyMD’s Nourishing Shampoo ASAP. Ensuring to remove toxins such as DTH that causes hair loss, it gently cleanses and leaves your scalp deeply nourished too. Creating an ideal environment for your scalp and tresses to heal and grow healthy— this nourishing shampoo is a must-try.
- Gentle formula
- Suitable for men and women
- Conditions hair and scalp intensely
- Paraben-free, sulfate-free, and phthalate-free
- Ideal for color-treated hair, thinning, and fine hair
- Slightly drying
6. Best for All Hair Types: Lipogaine Big 5 Hair Rejuvenating Shampoo
Beat hair thinning with castor oil, biotin, argan oil, saw palmetto, and caffeine blended in this rejuvenating shampoo by Lipogaine! These botanical ingredients work together to not only tackle hair loss but also strengthen your scalp and nourish the tresses intensely. Also, are you dealing with hair breakage or weak strands? Then you’ll love this shampoo even more as it improves elasticity too. Try it!
- Gentle formula
- Sulfate-free and color-safe
- Ideal for men and women
- Suitable for all hair types
- Improves manageability and adds volume
- Reduces shedding and restores scalp vitality
- Trusted brand for more than a decade
7. Best For Deep Cleansing: Keranique Scalp Stimulating Shampoo
Not just any other cleanser, this one is infused with a nutrient-rich formula such as Keratin Amino complex, which not only tackles hair loss but also leaves hair manageable and frizz-free. And that’s not all; it provides intense hydration to the scalp, promotes hair growth, and prevents future damages too. Also, it won’t strip your hair and scalp of natural moisture while cleansing! Still, want to stick to your old shampoo now?
- Cruelty-free mild cleanser
- Reduces breakage and revives weak follicles
- Strengthens hair and improves elasticity
- Adds volume, shine, and smoothness
- Weightless, sulfate-free, and paraben-free
- Ideal for deep cleansing and nourishment
- Not recommended if you are sensitive to smell
8. Best Paraben- Free: BIOLAGE Advanced Full Density Thickening Shampoo
Let the volume increase, the healthy way with this thickening shampoo by Biolage. Quit living with thin hair when this cleanser claims to transform your tresses to healthy and beautiful locks instantly. Infused with zinc PCA, gluco-omega, and biotin that cleanses all the impurities blocking the follicles, it also leaves the hair healthy-looking and gorgeous. Now, why would you miss something so simple yet satisfying?
- Gentle cleanser
- Paraben-free product
- Reduces hair loss
- Controls frizz and enhances volume
- Suitable for thin hair
- It has fragrance.
9. Best For All Hair Types: Just Nutritive Hair Loss Therapy Shampoo
A cleanser that pampers your hair— not kidding! Just Nutritive Hair Loss Therapy Shampoo stays true to its name with its therapeutic formula. Infused with plant-derived ingredients such as arnica, saw palmetto, plantain, horsetail, chia oil, vitamin B5, borage, and more, watch your hair revive and look healthier and stunning with every use. And unlike other shampoos that may strip your hair of its natural moisture, this one will deeply nourish and help your tresses grow denser and beautiful. Don’t believe us? Try it!
- Suitable for all hair types
- Strengthens scalp and hair
- Pampers from roots to tips
- Reduces hair fall and cleanses clogged pores
- Stimulates blood circulation for healthy growth
- Sulfate-free, paraben-free, alcohol-free, soy-free, and silicone-free
- It contains no artificial fragrances or colors.
10. Best Voluminizing: JASON Thin-to-Thick Extra Volume Shampoo
Volume alert! This thin-to-thick shampoo by Jason does not joke when promising a volume boost. Formulated with hair-strengthening ingredients such as biotin and panthenol, consider your hair gently cleansed and manageable in no time. Giving your thin and fine hair a boost to look denser, healthier, and flaunt-worthy, get ready to unfurl your gorgeousness with confidence wherever you go!
- Cruelty-free product
- Weightless formula
- Trusted shampoo brand since 1959
- Cleanses excess dirt and sebum effortlessly
- Reduces breakage and improves elasticity
- Sulfate-free, phthalate-free, and paraben-free
- Runny consistency
11. Best For Hair Growth: Propidren Hair Regrowth And DTH Blocking Shampoo
Let’s block that DTH out! Given how DTH is responsible for hair loss, this nourishing shampoo contains DTH blockers and saw palmetto, which helps reduce hair loss and promote hair growth. It also contains biotin, a well-known hair-strengthening ingredient to improve elasticity and protects your hair from growing weak or brittle. A great combo for those dealing with severe hair thinning, Propidren Shampoo guarantees results within 3 months! Give it a try.
- Provides intense nourishment
- Boosts new skin cells and hair growth
- Leaves hair healthy, vibrant and fuller-looking
- Vegan and cruelty-free product
12. Best Hypoallergenic: HoneyDew Biotin Shampoo
Biotin rules! Yep, when it comes to giving your hair a volume and strengthening boost, you’ll need a formula rich in biotin to witness a noticeable difference. HoneyDew Biotin Shampoo, for instance, claims to reinforce and improve your hair structure as well as reduce shedding. Plus, it also contains all-natural ingredients such as argan oil, tea tree oil, B5, zinc, and more that block DTH production, leaving an ideal environment for your hair to grow. A powerful treatment but gentle on your hair and scalp, your cleanser can’t get more enriching than this.
- Nourishes follicles intensely
- Leaves hair thicker and denser
- Sulfate-free and paraben-free
- Hypoallergenic, ethically-made, and cruelty-free
- Safe and suitable for all hair types
- Strong scent
13. Best For Controling Frizz: Mokita Naturals Regenerate Volumizing Shampoo
Not just biotin, this volumizing shampoo is infused with provitamin B5 and 7 botanical extracts too! Ideal for all hair types, this one not only boosts volume but also strengthens, protects, and promotes healthy hair growth. And what makes it different from other shampoos is that it neutralizes hard water and styling product effects too, which can also harm your scalp and tresses. Transforming your hair from dull to dazzling with every use, Mokita Naturals Regenerate Volumizing Shampoo is a must-try for all.
- Prevents breakage
- Repairs damaged hair
- Color safe and controls frizz
- Nourishes intensely from roots to tips
- Restores scalp health and cleanses gently
- Vegan and cruelty-free product
- Sulfate-free, paraben-free, phosphate-free, and alcohol-free
14. Best Cruelty-Free: ThickTails Stimulating Hair Shampoo
More volume, fewer greys— sounds like a great deal for your thin hair, right? Middle age can be taxing for your hair and bring along several issues like hair loss or shedding due to stress, menopause, postpartum recovery, and more. Hence, this shampoo with natural oils claims to boost volume and strengthen hair follicles and fibers. Also, this mild cleanser with hyper-anagen complex, caffeine, saw palmetto, and biotin ensures to reduce greying by adding pigment and protecting collagen as well. Still, want to miss it?
- 100% cruelty-free
- Prevents breakage
- Protects and extends color vibrancy
- Improves texture and elasticity
- Blocks DTH and stimulates hair growth
- Intensely moisturizes and balances sebum production
- Safe and gentle for daily use
- Silicone-free, paraben-free, and sulfate-free
- Strong minty fragrance
15. Best For Daily Use: Rene Furterer TRIPHASIC Strengthening Shampoo
Lastly, this strengthening cleanser with soothing, purifying, and ultra-cleansing properties that’ll make you fall in love with your hair instantly! Infused with essential oils such as orange, rosemary, lavender, and natural pfaffia extract, it ensures purified and healthy-looking tresses and scalp with every use. Also, it claims to revive and protect the hair’s strength to boost thicker and denser tresses as well. Yep, those are all the good reasons why you should give Triphasic Strengthening Shampoo a try!
- Gentle cleanser
- Ideal for daily use
- Stimulates microcirculation
- Maximizes nutrients supply to the scalp
- Energies scalp to boost hair growth
- Paraben-free, silicone-free, and SLS-free
- Suitable for both men and women
- Thin consistency
Now, who’s ready to boost that volume! There you go, those were the 15 best shampoos for thinning hair in 2021. Do you need more assistance with buying? Or tips on how to use it? We’ve explained it in our buying guide below.
How To Choose The Right Shampoo For Thinning Hair?
Check out the following features before adding the shampoo to your cart:
Hair Type: Always inspect if the shampoo is suitable for your hair and scalp, or else you will end up worsening the hair loss even more. Thinning hair shampoos are formulated according to hair types such as dry, oily, color-treated, damaged, etc.
Gentle & Nourishing Cleansing: If you have thin or scanty hair, then gentle cleansing is ideal for you. Given that your hair is already weak and prone to breakage, a mild and nourishing cleanser will not cleanse without harming the follicles but also nourish to replace the lost moisture and sebum.
Hair Loss Control: A volumizing shampoo will not necessarily control hair loss. So, if hair loss is also a concern, then check if the shampoo is formulated to reduce shedding and prevent breakage.
Stimulates Hair Growth: If you want to witness satisfying results, you must check if the shampoo can stimulate hair growth as well to enjoy thicker and denser volume with every use.
Chemical Free Formula: Lastly, the shampoo should be 100% chemical-free! Harsh chemicals like sulfates, paraben, SLS and more, can strip your hair of natural oils, moisture and worsen thinning. So, look out for these chemicals before choosing the shampoo.
Tips On How To Use A Shampoo For Thinning Hair
To maximize the effects of shampoo for thinning hair, leave it on your scalp and hair for a minute or two, and let the formula work its magic. Most of these volume-boosting or hair growth shampoos are infused with rich and active ingredients that clean and provide nourishment too. Hence, you should leave it on for a while, massage it gently in a circular motion if need be, before rinsing it out.
Hair loss can be painful and cause anxiety. Hair thinning or breakage can occur due to product buildup on the scalp or stress. The best shampoos for thinning hair helps in controlling moisturizing levels and clean oil or dirt on the scalp. These shampoos keep your hair clean and refreshed. They are formulated to rejuvenate the hair follicles and promote hair growth. The products are gentle, cruelty-free, and paraben-free. However, not all products suit every hair type. Consider ingredients and your hair type before investing in one of the formulas listed above.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
The author of this article, Vaishnavi Kothuri, is a hair care enthusiast. She loves keeping up with the latest hair care products. To save her readers time and energy, she has tried multiple shampoos and come up with the list of the best shampoos for thinning hair. These shampoos contain ingredients that cleanse the hair of all grime and stimulate the growth of new and thick hair.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Shampoos For Thinning Hair Work?
Yes, they do work. Shampoos for thinning hair such as Viviscal Shampoo, Keranique Shampoo, Just Nutritive Therapy Shampoo, Mokita Naturals Regenerate Volumizing Shampoo, and ThickTails Shampoo are some of the best shampoos known for volume boost, hair control, and hair growth in 2021.
Can Hair Grow Back After Thinning?
If hair thinning is due to stress, DTH production, or external damages, then topical solutions like shampoos with biotin, saw palmetto, and other ingredients can help stimulate hair growth. However, if it is genetic, then it is advisable to consult a dermatologist.
How Can I Stop My Hair From Thinning And Falling Out?
You can reduce hair thinning by maintaining a hygienic cleansing routine and a healthy diet. Also, your hair routine must include nourishing, conditioning, and hair-friendly products that’ll help your scalp and tresses grow healthy, naturally.
Is baby shampoo good for thinning hair?
Yes, baby shampoo is good for thinning hair. They don’t contain any harmful chemicals that can strip off the moisture in your hair causing more hair loss. However, these shampoos may not be beneficial in boosting hair growth.
How often should you wash thinning hair?
If you have thinning hair, wash your hair 3-4 times a week with a mild shampoo to remove any dirt or product buildup. Instead of rubbing your hair into the shampoo, mildly massage your scalp in a circular motion and let it slide into your locks.
What is better for thinning hair – biotin or collagen?
Collagen has the better claim for being impactful in hair growth. Collagen provides strength to the scalp and hair which helps in growth and lengthening. Biotin helps in providing key energy used to power hair production.
Is dry shampoo bad for thinning hair?
Yes, dry shampoo can be bad for thinning hair. Dry shampoo can take away the moisture and natural oils from your hair. Lack of moisture can lead to hair breakage, clogged follicles, or hair loss.
- 11 Best Organic Shampoos For Thinning Hair
- 7 Best Shampoos For Thinning Hair Due To Menopause
- Best Drugstore Shampoos For Fine And Thinning Hair
- Top 10 Volumizing Shampoos Available