Excuse the hyperbole, but there’s no worse feeling than getting your hair wet in the shower when you have no intention of washing it. That’s why the best shower caps are such an everyday must-have among shower accessories — they keep your locks well protected from splashes when all you want to do is take a quick rinse and head to work. Shower caps especially come in handy when you have curly or frizzy hair and don’t want to frizz it up more.
So, if you’ve been on an endless hunt for a sturdy, durable, and breathable covering for your head, here are 10 top-rated shower caps, curated after analyzing attributes and reviews, that will keep your locks safe and sound. Take a look!
In This Article
Why We Use A Shower Cap (How It Works)
Shower caps are used for multiple purposes – from locking moisture to preventing ruining blowouts and from letting the hair masks get absorbed in the scalp to preventing hair breakage.
If you are applying a deep conditioning mask, wear a shower cap to cover your head. The heat created due to the shower cap will help the ingredients in the conditioner get absorbed in your scalp to effectively treat damaged hair. Also, if you have recently got a great hairdo and don’t want to ruin it while sleeping, wear the shower cap before sleeping, and you will wake up with the same hair the next morning.
Shower caps have a proven efficacy in reducing hair damage and breakage while preventing split ends during sleep. Washing your hair daily might make your scalp dry and irritated. Shower caps lock the hairstyle, prevent breakage, control moisture, and keep your hair looking flawless.
If you are looking for some high-quality shower caps online, here are 10 of the best shower caps you can consider buying.
10 Best Shower Caps For Hair
This mold-resistant lined shower cap by Betty Dain is designed with a cute and colorful polka dotted pattern. It has a waterproof nylon exterior and eco-friendly PEVA lining. This mold- and mildew-resistant cap is perfect for hair of all lengths and thicknesses. The microbe-resistant construction keeps your cap clean and fresh after the shower. It has an elastic hem with stylish ruching and a satin bow. This cute shower cap is machine washable and fits most head sizes. You may check this video that details a tester’s experience with the product for a better understanding.
- Waterproof lining prevents your hair from getting wet during a shower
- Colorful and vibrant design
- Microbe-resistant construction
- Perfect for long or thick hair
- Machine washable
- Not large enough for big heads.
If you are looking for a chic shower cap, the Kitsch Luxury Shower Cap is a great option to try. The shower cap comes with a cool exotic floral print and catchy colors. It is made of 100% nylon and has an elastic band that stretches and accommodates most head sizes. It is mold-resistant and reusable. It does what it is supposed to and keeps water out while showering. Tuck loose hair around the face into the shower cap to ensure full protection from water and enjoy dry and styled hair straight out of the shower. This video detailing the reviewer’s experience will help you learn more about the shower cap with floral patterns.
- Keeps water out while showering
- Protects your hair from damage at night
- Can be used for water aerobics
- Can hold up to daily use for months
- Not for people with latex allergies.
Whether you are applying makeup, washing your face, or taking a shower, this bonnet cap is perfect for including in your beauty regimen. It is made of high-grade satin material and prevents hair breakage or damage. The double layers ensure that the hair product or dampness does not seep onto pillowcases or furniture. It has two reversible sides – black on one side and light blue on the other. This shower cap with bonnet design is comfortable and fits almost all head sizes and hairstyles. You can adjust the bonnet by stretching the satin-lined edge to widen it or pulling the string to tighten it. The shower cap with the reversible feature is machine washable.
- Great for holding natural hair, braids, weaves, rollers, hair clamps, long hair, and updos
- Has a drawstring closure to fit different head sizes
- The drawstring comes out easily.
- Doesn’t last long.
The Betty Dain Terry Lined Shower Cap is one of its kind. It has a waterproof nylon exterior and soft terry cloth lining. It is the perfect waterproof shower cap you need to keep your hair dry and moisture-free. The cap is available in four different colors and designs. It is a reversible cap that can be used inside out for sleeping and showering as well. The oversized cap fits all heads and is great for hair of different lengths and thicknesses. Amazon reviewers have mentioned that the product is durable and comfortable to wear.
- Comfortable elastic hem keeps cap secure and leak-free.
- Reversible design
- Can be used as a shower cap and a sleeping cap
- Waterproof nylon exterior
- The elastic at the bottom isn’t tight enough to hold the cap securely.
Elevate your mood with this exotic and funky palm leaf printed Kitsch Luxury Shower Cap. This is a functional and elegant shower cap for everyday use. It is a reusable shower cap with a mold-resistant and waterproof design. The shower cap keeps water out of your hair while showering and also locks the moisture out. It is perfect for women with lustrous and thick hair and fits all head sizes.
- Perfect for showering, sleeping, body massage, or scalp treatments
- Fits most head sizes
- Requires some adjustment as it doesn’t have elastic at the bottom.
6. Best Latex-Free:GRACE & COMPANY Luxury Shower Cap
The GRACE & COMPANY Luxury Shower Cap is hundred percent waterproof and shields your locks from moisture and humidity. It is made of a high-performance fabric that blocks water. The cap is also breathable, latex-free, adjustable, and long-lasting. It has a hidden leak-proof flexiband that holds your hair in place and keeps curls, blowouts, and hair treatments from fading. The unique design of this machine-washable cap has a cute, interesting, and incredibly stylish appearance.
- May not last-long
For the women who love stylish and vibrant shower caps, this pretty cap by Betty Dain is a great option. The mold-resistant and lined shower cap comes with black and white sassy stripes and is mildew-resistant. The designer shower cap is made using waterproof nylon fabric and has an eco-friendly PEVA lining. It is an oversized cap that suits hair of all lengths and thicknesses. Reviewers on Amazon have praised the product for being long-lasting without losing its shape.
- Microbe-resistant construction
- Waterproof nylon exterior
- Machine washable
- Not large enough to accommodate curly hair.
If you want to cover your entire head while showering to prevent frizz and moisture, consider buying this XL shower cap. This is a waterproof shower cap that is made with the highest quality eco-friendly EVA material. It is mildew-resistant and dries easily, which makes it a perfect travel accessory. It is double-lined with satin and protects your hair and prevents breakage. You can use this extra-large satin shower cap maintain your hairstyle, whether you have natural hair, extensions, braids, locks, weaves, relaxed hair, or just a fancy hairstyle that you want to last.
- Double-lined satin to protect your hair and prevent damage
- Fits most head sizes easily
- Made of harmless and environment-friendly EVA material
- Too large for normal or short hair.
9. Best Vegan-Friendly:EcoTools Shower Cap
On your no-wash days, the EcoTools shower cap is excellent for keeping it dry as you take a shower. While safeguarding the hair from breakage or harm, the cotton-lined cap provides a comfortable fit. It is made to suit most heads and is very convenient and lightweight. It keeps your hair dry and dries quickly after usage. It is made of clean, eco-friendly, vegan, cruelty-free materials like organic cotton and has a unique design. Amazon reviewers noted that the cap is enough to fit even long and thick hair.
- Clean ingredients
- Might have an odor
10. Best Durable:SMPL OBJECTS Shower Cap
The SMPL OBJECTS Shower Cap is a modern, reusable, lightweight shower cap with a chic design to add a lux touch to your showering experience. While the elastic band holds the shower cap on your scalp, the soft fabric of the cap prevents it from pulling or catching your hair and provides a comfortable fit. The shower cap prevents dampness and steam from ruining perfectly styled hair. It is made of sturdy, high-quality polyester fabric that holds its form well and resists stretching and shrinking. It is available in multiple vibrant colors and designs.
- Soft polyester fabric
- Maybe a little small
Before you go ahead and pick a shower cap, you need to be aware of the factors to look for before buying a shower cap. They are discussed in the next section.
Things To Consider Before Buying A Shower Cap – Buying Guide
- Durability: If you are not looking for a disposable shower cap, make sure that you choose one made using high-quality material that lasts long. Also, the shower caps with an elastic band at the bottom and a better closure prevent water leakage and promote moisture lock.
- Affordable: Most of the premium grade shower caps are available under $20,so set your budget before buying a shower cap. For a shower cap for daily use, you will have to spend around $8-$15.
- Elastic: The shower caps must have an elastic band at the bottom to prevent leakage and hold your hair better.
- Leak-free/Waterproof: The main reason you are wearing a shower cap is to prevent your hair from getting wet. Hence, keep in mind that the shower cap must be leakproof and waterproof.
- Mold-resistant: Make sure that the cap is made of mold-resistant material, i.e., it prevents the build-up of mold inside or outside. Lindsay Loo, an expert cosmetologist says, “If you use a shower cap often, invest in a good material. It will save you from infections and hair troubles in the long run.”
To keep your hair from getting wet on days when you have no intention of washing it, you must get your hands on the best shower caps that keep your hair safe and dry. These shower caps will keep your hair well-protected and prevent them from getting frizzy. You can also use these when applying a deep conditioner to your head. The Betty Dain Fashionista Collection is a great option as it is mildew resistant, while the Kitsch Reusable cap is elegant and reusable. But if you are looking for a hypoallergenic and double-layered bonnet cap then try Glow by Daye Satin Bonnet Shower Cap. These multipurpose shower caps ear them even while sleeping to prevent hair damage and breakage. Consider the durability, affordability, elastic, and also ensure that the product is waterproof and mold-resistant before choosing the best shower caps.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
The author, Shiboli Chakraborti, is a certified skin care coach and a hair care enthusiast. She loves recommending products to users based on her research and customer feedback. For this article, she researched different shower caps and skimmed through numerous reviews on the trusted online platforms to zero in on the best products for complete hair protection. The products listed above help control moisture, prevent hair damage or breakage, and keep your hair healthy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can a shower cap make me lose my hair?
A durable and high-quality shower cap can help prevent hair breakage and damage. The more you wash your hair, the more the strands get pulled and broken. When you use the shower caps, your hair stays in place, and this prevents breakage.
How often should I buy a new shower head?
If you are using disposable shower caps, you might need a new one every few days. But if you are using a sturdy and heavy-duty reusable shower cap, you can clean it and use it multiple times until it gets torn.
Will a shower cap leak water?
Shower caps should not leak and are supposed to protect your hair from water. A shower cap will not leak water while in use. But you will have to let it dry before using it again as it will drop water. Choose high-quality leak-proof shower caps to prevent your hair from getting wet.
Which material shower cap is best?
Satin is the best material for shower caps. It causes less friction against the hair and does not strip the moisture from the scalp.
Can mold grow on shower caps?
Yes. Keeping the shower caps in the drawer when they are not completely dry develops molds. The moisture accumulates and aids the growth of fungi. So, let your shower caps air dry entirely before packing them.
How do I make my shower cap not smell?
• Fill your sink with white vinegar.
• Dip the shower cap in the vinegar for 15 to 20 minutes.
• Take out the cap from the sink and add a few drops of liquid dish soap to the cap.
• Rub the cap for a few seconds.
• Rinse the cap with clean water.
• Hang it and let it air dry in a ventilated space.