The best slam balls help strengthen your body muscles and keep your body in shape. They are versatile and can easily be incorporated into your regular exercise routine. These balls are so effective that you can see the change in your body after each workout session. However, using the right slam ball is necessary to boost your shoulder, chest, biceps, and upper back. Choosing the option that suits you most from the wide range of products available on the market can be tricky. Thus, we bring you a guide and a list of the best slam balls available online. This guide contains in-depth reviews of the slam balls to help you make an informed decision tailored to your fitness goals. Keep scrolling to check them out!
In This Article
What Are Slam Balls?
Slam balls are weighted, rubber-coated balls that can be used in a range of exercises to define and condition your muscles. They have a thicker surface that makes them an ideal choice for high-impact throwing exercises. Slam balls can fit easily into your gym plan especially if you are into resistance training. You can simply use them as free weights or incorporate them into cardio exercises.
Let us now read about how a slam ball can be a game-changer for your core training exercises.
Why Do You Need Slam Balls?
Slam balls promise enormous potential for athletes and fitness enthusiasts. There are many good reasons to add this workout tool to your exercise routine.
- They offer maximum core control. Slam balls can be used in a variety of angles and positions that force your abs, obliques, and deep abdominal walls to work together through a full range of motion. The balls can boost power and spinal stability and are a perfect choice for powerlifters and other sports athletes. They also maximize core control and improve one’s functional movements, aiding their personal transformation journey.
- They improve muscle power. Slam balls are used for challenging movements that will force your heart to pump faster. They challenge your muscles by exhausting their abilities and making them stronger.
- They increase cardiovascular endurance. Slam balls, if used correctly, increase cardiovascular endurance. Moreover, they train your muscles to work together and help repair poor posture and restricted joint mobility.
Below is a list of the 11 best slam balls that you can try to kick off your exercise routine.
10 Best Slam Balls For Beginners That Will Level Up Your Workout Game
Level up your plyometric training with the Yes4All Slam Ball which is a high-density slam ball that boosts your aerobic capacity and enhances coordination between your hands and eyes. This functional fitness equipment features a resilient softshell that is rotationally molded for durable construction. Many reviewers agree that it is grooved and textured with polyvinyl chloride that allows a firm grip even with sweaty hands. The inner cavity of the ball is filled with sand to maintain the balance and firmness of the ball while preventing it from bouncing or rolling. This ball is specifically designed for CrossFit exercises.
- Material: PVC filled with sand
- Weight Options: 10 lbs, 12 lbs, 15 lbs, 20 lbs, 25 lbs,
- Excellent grip
- Thick, seamless design
- Available in different shell colors and textures
"This slam ball is ideal for versatile workouts. Although it houses a sandbag inside causing weight shifts, its grip during workouts remains steadfast. Overall, though it has space for improvement, my experience was positive."
Clean your slam ball once a month with a mixture of alcohol and wintergreen oil. Apply vaseline to the entire shell, rubbing it in well. Wipe off any excess with a dry cloth.
The TRX slam ball is filled with sand to maintain its shape, weight, and sturdiness. Its outer shell is made of top-grade rubber that makes it grippy. You can lift it overhead and slam it either on the ground or sideways into the wall to amp up rotational movements. Its non-bouncing design is safe to use and can easily withstand wear and tear, as mentioned by the reviewers online. This slam ball is suitable for all sorts of weight exercises.
- Material: Rubber
- Weight Options: 6 lbs, 8 lbs, 10 lbs, 15 lbs, 20 lbs,
- Ideal for a full-body workout
- Easy grip
- Not very stable
The Trademark Innovations Slam Ball is ideally designed for core development. The outer shell of this ball is made of slip-resistant PVC material, and the inner cavity is filled with sand to absorb the shock from the slam. This is why the ball does not roll away or bounce back. According to reviews, this cross-training tool allows overhead throwing, back-to-back passes, and twisting exercises. Thus, it assists in muscle building, cardiovascular endurance, and hand-eye coordination. It is 9-inches in diameter and easy to hold.
- Material: PVC
- Weight Options: 15 lbs
- Value for money
- The sand moves inside.
"This slam ball is sturdy and meets expectations. However, it becomes a bit slippery after constant use. It's fantastic as a medicine ball for me, particularly for core exercises, and an alternative to a gym ball on non-gym days."
You will need a bike tube patch and sandpaper to repair a slam ball leak. Scuff the area to be patched, apply the patch glue, then apply the patch and let it dry.
The DYNAPRO Slam Ball can take your fitness goals to the next level easily and comfortably. This durable rubber ball is built for strength and endurance training, making it an ideal choice for those looking to build lean muscle mass while burning calories. The air-filled design also provides twice as much bounce compared to other brands. This slam ball is easily manageable on the hand thanks to its anti-slip grip that ensures maximum control even when performing explosive movements like slams or throws.
- Material: Gummi
- Weight Options: 4lb
- Steady grip
- Tone up the core muscles
"It is quite handy and comes with a strong grip. It helps me build muscle strength and balance. I use this as an alternative to dumbbells and it has improved my strength and flexibility. It is an ideal workout product for beginners."
Yes4All Slam Ball
Trademark Innovations Slam Ball
DYNAPRO Slam Ball
|Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
|9.25 x 9.49 x 9.25 inches
|10 x 10 x 10 inches
|Number of Items
The SPRI Dead Weight Slam Ball has a pliable and easy-to-grip textured surface to support explosive movements. It is easy to grip and does not bounce back when slammed. The heavy-duty rubber-like shell adds to its grip and durability. It is perfect for re-bouncer, wall, and floor slams. Many reviewers have testified that its seamless design retains shape and does not break even when you slam the ball on the ground a thousand times. This slam ball comes with a high-quality, downloadable exercise guide.
- Material: Textured rubber-like PVC, sand-filled shell
- Weight Options: 12 lbs, 15 lbs, and 20 lbs
- Textured-grip surface
- Ideal for total body workout
"It's quite handy for workouts and I can throw it hard without worrying about about wear or tear. The product is durable and easy to handle. A good purchase indeed!"
The Everlast Flex Slam Ball comes with a flexible rubber casing for shock absorption. The inner cavity of the ball is filled with sand to retain the shape and to maintain proper balance. The ball also has foam cushioning for strike absorption. This product is put through hundreds of slam tests to ensure its performance over time. The molded rubber construction with channels enables excellent grip and makes the ball bounce-resistant. The ball is rigorously tested and is perfect for boot camps, high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workouts, and cross-training. Using it in your fitness routine can result in improved power and speed.
- Material: Rubber
- Weight Options: 10 lbs, 15 lbs, 20 lbs, 25 lbs
- Dissipates impact
- Ideal for a full-body workout
"Got this during the lockdowns and I find this one truly superior. It helps in intense strength workouts. I also use it for stress relief exercises."
Get ready to burn calories and fat in a fun way. The Titan Fitness Rubber Slam Ball is mainly designed for enthusiastic athletic training. It increases muscle mass, improves hand-eye coordination, builds endurance and stamina, and enhances cardiovascular health. It has a textured exterior shell made of rubber that ensures a firm grip and prevents blowouts when slammed to the ground. This is perfect for a range of exercises such as overhead lunges, Russian twists, thrusters, squats, sit-ups, and so on. The diameter of this ball is 11 inches, which is slightly higher than that of normal slam balls. It stands the test of time and doesn’t rip or break even after thousands of throws.
- Material: Rubber
- Weight Options: 25 lbs
- Ideal for throwing, slamming, and catching
- Textured surface
- Could be too large for some
"The shifting sand inside the slam ball took adapting to but I've grown to appreciate the added challenge. Despite needing cleaning due to a slightly slick surface, it is durable and easy to use. I think a softer rubber surface could enhance its grip."
The Ader Fitness Slam Ball features a black textured shell that helps you take grip of and control the ball while working out. It is a soft, sand-filled ball that retains its normal shape even after slamming on the hardest surfaces thousands of times. Since it is available in different weights ranging from 10 to 50 pounds, this slam ball is an ideal choice for all, be it a beginner or a professional. It comes with a dead bounce that makes it perfect for CrossFit, strength training, and other general athletic training exercises.
- Material: Rubber
- Weight Options: 10 lbs, 15 lbs, 20 lbs, 25 lbs
- Outstanding grip
"I absolutely love this gym ball! It's an integral part of my workout routine. It's not very heavy which makes it ideal for casual workouts. It is definitely a durable choice."
The Lifeline Slam Ball is designed to add resistance to bodyweight workouts while building muscles and improving aerobic capacity. It comes with a flexible plastic exterior shell that withstands high-impact exercises and stays usable for years. It allows you to try out versatile exercise options, such as slams, passes, swings, and throws. The textured surface of this slam ball allows you to have full control of the ball. It prevents slips and mishaps while working out.
- Material: Plastic
- Weight Options: 10 lbs, 20 lbs, and 30 lbs
- Easy to grip
- Unpleasant odor
"The ball is very durable and is ideal for core strengthening exercises. However, its peculiar odor can be annoying to some, but it does not disturb me. I will recommend it for its solid performance."
The Bionic Body Slam Ball is the ideal piece of gym equipment for any fitness enthusiast. With its heavy-duty construction and impact-absorbing filling, this versatile slam ball can withstand even the toughest workouts. It features a durable yet soft surface that ensures it won’t easily lose its shape no matter how hard you use it during exercises. The multi-stitched structure enhances its quality performance from start to finish every time!
- Material: Faux leather
- Weight Options: 6lb, 10lb, 14lb, and 20lb
- Durable surface
- Ample cushioning
"I love its robust material, practical texture, and the 20lb weight. It is great for every kind of throw and does not slip away when my hands are sweaty. It has certainly spruced up my workouts!"
You now have a fair idea of how slam balls work. But slam balls are often confused with medicine balls. How are the two different?
Slam Balls Vs. Medicine Ball
- Design: The most significant difference between slam and medicine balls is their design. Slam balls are generally made of a tough rubber so that they can handle the high-velocity impact against hard surfaces. These balls have a thicker surface than medicine balls. Medicine balls, on the other hand, are made of plastic, leather, and rubber. They also often come with handles.
- Application: Slam Balls are usually designed for overhead slams, lateral throws, broad jumps, and chest passes. They chiefly strengthen your core. On the other hand, medicine balls are used for wall tosses, diagonal chops, pushups, and partner drills. They are used for muscle toning.
- Other Factors: Medicine balls are quite softer and have a larger diameter than slam balls. They are bouncy in nature and immediately bounce back when slammed to the floor or tossed against the wall, unlike slam balls.
Slam balls can be used as an alternative to a medicine ball if you aim to do high-intensity exercise to boost your stamina.
Certain users feel that working out with a slam ball could be easier than purchasing one. That is because one needs to consider several factors before buying a slam ball. Let us understand more.
What Factors Should You Consider When Choosing The Best Slam Ball?
- Weight: The weight of the slam ball depends on the sand or dust used for filling the diameter and the inner cavity. A 20- or 30-pound slam ball will be a perfect beginner-friendly choice if you are new to it. However, you can go for heavier options if you have been using this accessory for a while and would like to practice high-impact exercises for muscle growth.
- Surface Design: Slam balls come with different surface textures. Some balls have a plain surface that offers a smoother grip for lighter exercises, while some have a textured surface design with grooves to increase friction and to offer a firmer grip throughout the workout. Buy what you like the most.
- Level Of Bounce: Slam balls are mainly used for resistance training and heavy exercises and, thus, should be less bouncy to prevent accidents or mishaps while working out. Choose a denser ball to ensure it does not roll away or bounce back when slamming against the floor or any hard surface.
- Material: The quality of material decides the durability of this accessory. The outer surface of these balls is generally made of rubber or PVC material that has high endurance against wear and tear.
Whether you’re a seasoned fitness enthusiast or a beginner, these considerations, backed by expert perspectives and user insights, will guide you in choosing the best slam ball for your fitness journey.
Slam ball exercises can be really beneficial if you do them right. However, mishandling the ball can lead to injuries as well. Understand the precautions you must take to reduce the risk of any mishaps.
What Are The Precautions That You Should Take While Exercising With A Slam Ball?
- Slam balls are heavy. Therefore, you must use them away from children.
- Make sure that the surface texture of the ball is not too slippery for you. Be careful not to let the ball slip your grip.
- If your ball is bouncy, maintain the right posture to prevent getting hurt by its bounce-back.
- Always choose the slam ball that you can handle easily. A heavy ball can strain your lower back and arms while increasing the chances of injury. Talk to your trainer to know the best weight for you.
Workouts are an excellent way to keep yourself fit and intact. However, to boost muscle strength and enhance the stamina of your cardiovascular system, you need a proper workout regimen. Slam balls help in such cases and are easy to incorporate into your daily exercise routine. They improve spinal stability, core control, and functional movements.
Anthony Maritato, a licensed physical therapist, says, “I love slam balls for a power development exercise. As a licensed physical therapist, I believe a slam ball is an important piece of exercise equipment for any individual. Geriatric clients who are trying to avoid falling need to develop power and reaction speed just as much as young athletes seeking to improve performance in sports and a slam ball can achieve both of these outcomes.”
However, factors such as weight, surface texture, level of bounce, and material used are key things to be considered when choosing a ball. Balls with good grip, textured surface, and thick design are ideal slam balls. The Yes4All Slam Ball is the best choice owing to its versatility and durability, while the DYNAPRO Slam Ball provides consistent bounce-back during slamming and throwing exercises. The SPRI Dead Weight Slam Ball contributes to your consistent workout due to its balanced design. However, you may need to avoid balls that are not stable or have an improper grip. If you are still confused, read the product reviews, and consult a fitness instructor to decide which slam ball to buy.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
The author Aditi Naskar has a diploma in Health & Wellness. Her knowledge and unbiased recommendations help users make the right decision for their fitness goals. This list of slam balls was curated by taking users’ reviews from trusted online platforms. Users will be able to choose from an extensive range of slam balls of different weights and prices to improve muscle tone, strength, and power.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know what size slam ball to get?
Know the size of the slam ball you need based on your level of agility and strength. If you are a beginner, start using a 10lb slam ball and slowly increase its range.
How do you maintain a slam ball?
• Clean the shell of the slam ball with a mixture of alcohol and wintergreen oil.
• Rub vaseline on the entire shell.
• Use a dry cloth and wipe off the excess product.
How heavy is a slam ball?
Slam balls are available in various weights. Some are around 5 kg while others are around 15 to 20 kg.
Can you use slam balls on concrete?
Yes. Slam balls exert less impact on the concrete floor and help you build your core strength.
How much air should be in a slam ball?
Fully inflate your slam ball or pump them to 3PSI maximum.
Can I use a slam ball as a wall ball?
No. Slam balls slide down a wall and become challenging to handle. Do not use them as a wall ball.
Do slam balls bounce?
No. Slam balls have little to no bounce effect. They are designed to be lifted and slammed on the ground.
- Swiss Ball Exercises For The Upper Body, Abs, Back, And Lower Body
- Best Exercise Balls
- Best Exercise Ball Chairs For Better Posture
- Effective Twist Exercises For A Slim Waist