Who doesn’t love a good dry shampoo? Be it when you are extending your hair wash between salon visits or for a quick fix to have a dry and smooth head. Not many would want to heat style their hair with a blow dryer or sit hours with a flat iron to achieve soft-textured hair. A can of dry shampoo guarantees you have bouncy, smooth hair that you can style within a few minutes.
Of course, a good hair day is not just about the texture and feel, but also about having tresses that smell lovely. Whether it is a date night or just a night out with your best friends, you don’t want to be the one smelling like a jar of chemicals. We find you the best ones with exceptional qualities and features and, most importantly, a dry shampoo that smells good. Today, the market is flooded with a variety of fragrant dry shampoos, ranging from smoky oakwood to lush floral scents. Here is our guide to the 11 best-smelling dry shampoos in 2020.
Top 11 Dry Shampoos That Will Leave Your Hair Smelling Lovely
Rejuvenate your hair with the smell of the tropics with this OGX Refresh & Restore + Coconut Miracle Oil Dry Shampoo. Powered with the essence of tiare flower, vanilla bean extract, and coconut oil, this dry shampoo is a hearty blend of fragrance from that memorable summer vacation around the beach. Soak in the goodness of this nourishing formula for that perfect party look.
- Calms frizz
- Tames flyaways
- Adds bounce and shine
- Great for second-day style
- May be a bit heavy
A good-smelling dry shampoo is a must in every makeup kit. Keep your mane smelling clean and lovely with this Living proof. Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo. Its patented Healthy Hair Molecule-powered formula keeps dirt off your hair. This product resists humidity from damaging your hair and keeps your hair silky to give that polished, sleek look. It has a lovely scent that makes your hair smell fresh 24 hours of the day.
- Smoothens hair
- May leave a white residue
Indulge your hair in some much needed TLC (Tender Loving Care) with this Batiste Clean & Classic Original Dry Shampoo. With the original scent notes of bergamot, rose, and lily extracts, this formula not only leaves your hair smelling floral but also absorbs dirt and grease, adding life and volume to your tresses. This scented dry shampoo is extremely easy to use and does miracles to your hair-do.
- Removes oil
- Adds texture
- No water required
- May not be suitable for extremely fine hair
Infused with a blast of superfruit sea buckthorn berry extract, this amika: Perk Up Dry Shampoo formula adds life to dull hair. Made from rice starch, it absorbs oil and dirt with ease and does not cause build-up on the scalp. It is lightweight, adds to hair volume, and is safe to use on color, keratin, or Brazilian-treated hair. This clean-smelling shampoo is one of the best dry shampoos you’ll find in the market that will leave you and your hair feeling refreshed.
- Mineral oil-free
- Does not leave a white residue
- Sulfate, paraben, and phthalate-free
- May be a bit drying
Infused with eucalyptus dunnii, this exotic formula will not only make your hottest hairstyle last long but also refresh you with calming aromatherapy. The eucalyptus fragrance will soothe your soul. It absorbs excess oil, dirt, and sweat from your hair while adding texture and volume to it. With the goodness of jojoba oil, it will nourish your curly hair and transform hair from coarse to super soft texture.
- Free of parabens and sulfates
- The fragrance may be a bit too overwhelming for some.
Regular dry shampoos making your head hurt with that chemical smell? Well, how about some fresh notes of Madagascar vanilla, jasmine, and sandalwood scents with this Drybar Detox Dry Shampoo. Powered with golden root extract and micro-fine rice powder, this formula absorbs oils, eliminates foul smell, and prevents dryness as well as breakage in your hair strands while also making your hair smell good.
- Adds volume
- Sulfate and paraben-free
- Provides a matte finish
- May not be suitable for darker hair color
As you may have already guessed, this dry shampoo has the classic Moroccan oil smell with hints of spicy amber, sweet floral, and musk. This MOROCCANOIL Dry Shampoo for Light Tones is an argan oil-powered formula, which is also infused with rice starch powder that absorbs excess oil and avoids product build-up. This dry shampoo works great on platinum, silver, and blonde hair. This formula has subtle violet undertones that will add an extra shine and help balance brassiness.
- Nourishes hair
- No dull residue
- Enhances light color tones
- Protection against UV damage
- May be a bit oily
Add some bounce to your curls and polish those last-minute sleek straight hair looks with this Cake Beauty The ‘Do Gooder Volumizing Dry Shampoo. Formulated with corn starch, it smells just like a cupcake. This formula readily absorbs oil and dirt, cleansing your hair and scalp. Reinvigorate your hair with this lovely blend of natural ingredients that add volume and shine within a few minutes of application.
- 100% vegan
- Mineral oil-free
- The fragrance may not last all day long.
Jumpstart your hair routine with a citrusy punch that will keep you and your hair smelling fresh all day long. Get rid of that greasy, lifeless, and oily hair with a little help from this Suave Professionals Dry Shampoo. Its mineral clay formula absorbs dirt and oil from your hair and keeps it bouncy and glamorous for your favorite hairstyles. You don’t have to worry about white residue with this product, and it is well suited for dark brown hair.
- Adds texture
- Easy application
- Prevents greasy feel
- Great for re-styling hair
- May need to be washed off thoroughly with shampoo
Immerse your hair in fresh floral scents of this philosophy Pure Grace Dry Shampoo that cleanses your hair while also smoothening and adding shine. The brand uses cutting-edge research to device philosophy’s brilliant formulas. Whether you have super curly hair or just straight jet black strands, it will lift your fine hair by adding volume and making it look fuller and incredibly stylish.
- Lasts long
- Adds texture
- Subtle fragrance
- Makes hair manageable
- May not be suitable for sensitive scalp
Scented with clean and crisp apple tones, blended with a smooth jasmine undertone, this is one of the best dry shampoos you will find in the market. This ultra-fine formula absorbs oil quickly and gives you that instant freshly rinsed hair look with a lovely scent. This clean-smelling dry shampoo works on all hair types and does not leave a white residue.
- Defines texture
- Colorless formula
- Adds instant volume
- Works on all hair colors
- A bit expensive
Now that you are all caught up on some of the best dry shampoos in the market, let’s take a look at how you can decide what would work for you.
How Do I Choose A Dry Shampoo With Fragrance
Here are a few things that you can keep in mind before making a purchase.
- Ingredients: You do not want to end up having a rash or an itchy scalp because of your dry shampoo. Hence, always ensure you have taken a look at the ingredients to identify allergens before buying.
- Scent: While you may want your hair to smell lovely, you do not want to end up with an overpowering fragrance that gives you a headache at the end of the day.
- The formula: Make sure you do not pick a product with a formula rich in harsh chemicals. You would want to go easy on your hair and pick one with natural extracts.
While dry shampoos are a great alternative when you skip washing your hair, there are also other ways that you can keep your hair smelling fresh.
How Do You Keep Your Hair Smelling Good
Here are a few pointers that would help.
- Regular hair washes: Nothing replaces cleansing your hair with a routine hair oil massage, followed by shampoo and conditioner. Etch it into your schedule and avoid missing any of these steps for clean and fresh-smelling hair.
- Scented hair products: From hair detanglers to dry shampoos and conditioners and oils, pick products that have subtle fragrances in them.
- Protect your hair: Wear a head wrap or a tie scarf around your head, especially if you are going to be dealing with strong aromas, be it food or cigarette smoke.
- Clean brush: Keep your hair comb or brush clean by either replacing them with new ones once they have worn out or washing them regularly.
- Pillowcase: Change your pillowcase regularly since you rest your head for long hours during the night, and a dirty pillowcase could add a peculiar odor to your hair.
While a few may think the idea of hair fragrance bizarre, but let’s ask you something. Haven’t you ever caught a lovely whiff of someone’s hair fragrance on a metro or on your regular morning commute to work and wondered, how do I get my hair to smell so lovely? Well, we all have. And that is where dry shampoos with fragrance come into play. Not only do they cleanse your hair, but they also freshen up your lovely locks and add bounce to them. Do not get thrown off by expensive-looking products, as our list guides you through a range of fragrant dry shampoos that make your hair feel and smell beautiful. We pray our guide to the 11 best-smelling dry shampoos in 2020 helps you find the one that suits you the best.
Expert’s Answers for Readers Questions
Is dry shampoo good or bad for your hair?
Well, this totally depends on your purpose. While there is no definite alternate to rinsing your hair with shampoo, dry shampoo is great to use for in-between washes when you want to step out without a wash. However, a dry shampoo only absorbs the oil and dirt and does not rinse it off like shampoo does. Hence, it should not be seen as a permanent replacement for shampoo.
Does dry shampoo make your hair smell better?
Yes, there are several dry shampoo formulas that are scented. You can pick from your choice of scent as long as you do a trial run before the actual event. You do not want to end up with an overpowering fragrance.
Is inhaling dry shampoo bad?
Use the dry shampoo sparingly. Do not inhale it directly through the dry shampoo spray.
- Best Dry Shampoos Available In India – Our Top 10
- 15 Best Drugstore Dry Shampoos Of 2020 – Affordable And Effective
- 7 Best Organic Dry Shampoos – 2020
- 15 Best-Smelling Shampoos You Need To Try Right Now
Latest posts by Mayuri J Ravi (see all)
- 11 Best Sunscreens For Scalp And Hair You Should Try - April 8, 2021
- 13 Best Vanilla Perfumes And Fragrance Mists That You Should Try In 2021 - April 8, 2021
- 15 Best Aloe Vera Lotions To Help Soothe Dry And Irritated Skin - March 24, 2021
- 9 Best Lip Brushes For Perfect Makeup - March 14, 2021
- 13 Best Drugstore Moisturizers For Combination Skin You Need To Try In 2021 - February 8, 2021