“Clear skin is happy skin!”
Quest for clear skin is a never-ending process and usually requires tackling numerous skin concerns. That includes dealing with those pesky red bumps on your skin. These bumps are not your typical acne comedone but rather appear more like red goosebumps on your buttocks, upper arms, thighs, or even on your face. Ladies – be alert – it’s keratosis pilaris (KP) or more commonly known as Chicken Skin.
Excessive keratin buildup around the pores coupled with lack of moisturization and decreased exfoliation can trigger KP. But luckily, there is a remedy for this. Soaps with glycolic acid, salicylic acid, and/or lactic acid can help tame the condition, giving you smooth and clear skin. These active agents are some of the most recommended chemical exfoliants trusted by dermatologists. They scrub-off layers of dead skin cells, open your blocked pores, and give you bump-free skin.
In This Article
What Is Keratosis Pilaris?
Keratosis Pilaris, commonly referred to as ‘Chicken skin’ or KP, is a harmless skin condition often found in 50%-80% of adults. Purvisha Patel, M.D., notes that “KP is a keratin defect that prevents the skin from exfoliating, resulting in the keratin forming plugs over the hair follicles causing a prickly feel and appearance of the skin – like a nutmeg grater.” It is caused by excessive keratin build-up around hair follicles. These tiny bumps can sprout on your upper arms, buttocks, cheeks, and even on thighs. Though it does not lead to any serious health complications, it can be itchy in winters and often seen in people with dry skin or eczema.
Despite being harmless, it’s quite annoying as it affects your confidence. Would you like to know more about this? Keep reading!
What Causes Keratosis Pilaris?
This benign skin condition is caused due to keratin build-up in the hair follicles. The build-up blocks the pores and triggers bump sprouts. Lack of moisturization or dry skin can worsen the condition. In some cases, it naturally clears up when one reaches 30 years of age.
Dealing with bumpy skin is not a problem anymore. Here is our list of the 6 best soaps for keratosis pilaris for clear, soft skin. Take a look!
6 Best Soap For Keratosis Pilaris
1. Best Overall: CeraVe SA Body Wash For Rough & Bumpy Skin
Annoyed by rough, bumpy chicken skin? Try this dermatologist’s developed body wash from CeraVe for treating keratosis pilaris. The ceramides in the formula restore the skin’s protective barrier to make it silky, smooth. And patented MVE technology powered with hyaluronic acid provides 24-hours hydration to your skin. Niacinamide and salicylic acid calm and soothe irritation and help in eliminating dead skin cells. Moreover, CeraVe SA body wash is free from harsh microbeads that can irritate your skin.
Key Ingredients: Ceramides (1, 3, 6 II), Niacinamide, Hyaluronic acid, and Salicylic acid
- 24-hours hydration
- Fragrance free
- Developed by dermatologists
- Causes breakouts
- May cause allergic reaction
2. Best Therapeutic Soap: aspen kay Dead Sea Mud & Charcoal Soap Bar
Want to enjoy a detoxifying bath in Dead Sea mud? Well, you don’t need to land upon the Jordan Rift for that, as aspen kay has got it packed for you in its Dead Sea Mud & Charcoal Soap Bar. It is one of the best soaps for keratosis pilaris infused with mineral-rich dead sea mud and activated charcoal. This hand-crafted soap is rich in organic oils like olive oil, castor oil, sunflower oil, and 21 other minerals that nourish your skin. Additionally, the organic unrefined shea butter ensures deep moisturization and helps build the protective barrier of your skin. Besides, this vegan body soap offers a refreshing treat due to the presence of essential oils, lemongrass, peppermint, and eucalyptus that makes your skincare rituals way more enjoyable.
Key Ingredients: Dead Sea mud, Activated charcoal, Lemongrass, Peppermint, Shea butter, Olive oil, and Coconut oil
- Clears pores
- Non-drying soap
- Great for oily skin
- Refreshing fragrance
- Comes with money back guarantee
- Causes breakouts
3. Best Exfoliating Soap: Mario Badescu A.H.A. Botanical Body Soap
Revitalize your skin after every shower with this vegan body wash from Mario Badescu infused with alpha hydroxyl acid. This best-selling product is designed to treat bumpy skin issues with potent natural ingredients. In this body soap, AHA, papaya, and grapefruit extract exfoliate dead skin cells, making your skin smooth and soft. The ginseng, linden flower extract, and oatmeal protein lock in moisture and slow down premature aging. This natural botanical extract-infused soap not just exfoliates but ensures acne-free, clear, and flawless skin.
Key Ingredients: Grapefruit, AHA, Ginseng, and Linden
- Non-drying soap
- Water-based formula
- No breakout
- Lathers well
- Works as anti-acne cleanser
- Antiaging benefits
- Refreshing smell
4. Best Gentle: ReTone Exfoliating Cleanser
Natural exfoliating body wash from ReTone infused with glycolic acid makes this a great option to treat keratosis pilaris. The gentle apricot microbeads in the cleanser scrub off dead skin cells, boost cellular regeneration, and support collagen and elastin production. It is exclusively designed to get rid of rough, bumpy, and flaky skin, making it soft and supple. Benzophenone-4 in the formula protects the skin from UV rays and fight visible signs of aging to keep wrinkles, stretch marks, and fine lines at bay. Additionally, this soap also ensures an even and brighter skin tone by improving blood circulation.
Key Ingredients: Glycolic acid, Benzophenone-4, and Apricot powder
- Reduce wrinkles
- Diminishes dark spots
- Offers sun protection
- Non-greasy formula
- Value for money
- Smells great
- Can cause skin peeling
5. Best Sulfate-Free: Botanic Tree Glycolic Acid KP Exfoliating Body Scrub
This glycolic acid-infused body wash unclogs your pores and renders even smooth skin. Besides fighting acne and erasing bumps, this exfoliating body wash refreshes and nourishes due to the presence of hydrating Ylang Ylang. And it keeps redness and bumps at bay, thanks to soothing tea tree oil. The soap is rich in anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory agents extracted from willow bark, thyme, aloe vera, and lavender that fight acne, clear pores, and soothe irritation. Moreover, they revitalize your dull skin by scrubbing off dead skin cells and boosting collagen production.
Key Ingredients: Glycolic acid, Tea tree oil, Willow bark, Aloe vera, Thyme, Lavender and Ylang Ylang
- Reduces sun damage
- Protects from environmental aggressors
- Clears pores
- Lathering soap
- Smells incredible
- Heighten skin sensitivity
6. Best Premium: Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser
Clinically proven ingredients and innovative formulation make this body wash from Murad one of the best solutions for treating Keratosis pilaris. The intensive triple-action formula provides intense exfoliation that polishes dry and dull skin that adds radiance. The salicylic, lactic, and glycolic acid, an effective concoction of chemical exfoliants, improve cell generation and makes your skin smooth and soft. The jojoba beads scrub off dead skin cells without stripping your skin dry and open the path for hydration. Moreover, sodium PCA prevents moisture loss and renders a youthful glow. Besides, AHA and BHA penetrate deep into the skin without clogging your pores, preventing KP flares.
Key Ingredients: Salicylic, Lactic Acid, Glycolic Acid, and Jojoba beads
- Mineral oil-free
- Promotes cell turnover
- Does not clothes pores
- Great for sensitive skin
Though the underlying causes are yet to be discovered for a complete cure, some treatments can slow down KP’s severity. Here’s how you can keep your skin bump-free!
How To Get Rid Of Keratosis Pilaris?
- Warm Bath: Take a short bath in warm water to unclog or loosen pores. Rub your skin with a stiff brush to potentially remove bumps. Limit your time in the bath to avoid stripping your skin dry.
- Exfoliate: Daily exfoliation improves skin appearance by removing unwanted bumps. Body soaps composed of chemical exfoliating like glycolic, lactic, and salicylic acid effectively unclog pores without aggravating your skin. For better results, you can use loofah or pumice stone and gently massage it on the skin for better exfoliation.
- Apply Hydrating Lotion: Post bath, apply hydrating lotions to keep your skin moisturized and encourage cell turnover. Moisturizes tame irritation in your recently exfoliated skin due to and helps it to calm down. Lotions with Alpha Hydroxy Acid, glycerin, or rose water softens the bumps and soothe inflammation.
- Avoid Wearing Tight Clothes: Wearing tight clothes may boost friction, further increasing skin irritation and redness.
- Use Humidifiers: Humidifiers are a great option to add moisture to your skin. They release moisture into the room air, keeping your skin hydrated and preventing itchy flare-ups.
- Apply Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is a natural astringent with the innate ability to unclog and shrink pores. As a result, it keeps build-ups at bay, prevents dead skin cells from clogging your hair follicle, and offers anti-inflammatory benefits to soothe skin discomfort.
Although KP is harmless, your skin needs special products to deal with gently. Here is a buying guide that can help you with the job.
How To Choose The Best Soap For Keratosis Pilaris?
- Exfoliating Ingredients: Keratosis Pilaris treatment demands effective exfoliation, and for that, the body soap must contain any of these three most important ingredients – glycolic acid, lactic acid, or salicylic acid. These chemical exfoliants not just remove dead cells but also unclog pores and reduce inflammation.
- UV Protection: After exfoliation, skin becomes sensitive to sunburn. Therefore, the body soap must provide necessary sun protection to prevent worsening for KP.
- Nourishment: Often, deep exfoliation tends to dry out the skin. Therefore, soap for KP must ensure a boost of hydration to make skin soft and supple.
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Keratosis pilaris increases redness and irritation, and further exfoliation may make skin dry. Ingredients like coconut oil or olive oil are rich in anti-inflammatory agents that help deal with inflammation and irritation.
Keratosis pilaris is a skin condition that irritates more than it harms and tends to fade away slowly with time. And keeping your skin hydrated is the best way to deal. Though there is no substitute for medical therapy, a perfect soap for keratosis pilaris can help heal these body bumps. Browse through the above to nab one for yourself to get bump-free clear skin for regaining your confidence. We recommend CeraVe SA Body Wash For Rough & Bumpy Skin for softer, smoother skin. The Mario Badescu A.H.A. Botanical Body Soap is rich in exfoliating agents that gently buff out dead skin cells.
- Top 12 Keratosis Pilaris Treatment Products
- Get Rid Of Keratosis Pilaris With These 9 Lotions
- 8 Best Body Washes For Keratosis Pilaris To Achieve Smooth Skin
- 5 Best Lotions For Legs Available In 2021