Many prefer body washes over soaps because the former is gentler on our skin. However, to create a more foamy lather, body washes often contain sulfates which might be harmful to your skin. That is why you need the best sulfate-free body wash. After a long day of fatigue, hectic chores, and meetings, a nice hot shower is all you crave. Therefore, nothing beats the significance of using a good body wash and a loofah for a thoroughly clean and exfoliated feel.
Body washes that contain sulfates might be effective in eliminating all the grime oil and dirt from your body, but at the same time, they might turn your skin brittle and dry. It may also lead to skin irritation, especially if you suffer from sensitive skin issues and eczema. Then, using sulfate-infused products is a big NO-NO.
On the other hand, a sulfate-free body wash will instantly uplift your mood and refresh your senses. Nowadays, many luxurious, nourishing body washes and some fragrance-free options are available to choose from. So, this article is for you if you are looking forward to kick-starting your day with a nice and refreshing shower but don’t know where to start. We have rounded up a list of the best sulfate-free body washes that are worth trying. So scroll down through the list and find the best pick now!
In This Article
Get Squeaky Clean With The 11 Best Sulfate-Free Body Washes
1) Best Refreshing Formula: OGX Coconut Miracle Oil Body Wash
Envelop yourself in the rich, creamy lather and get transported to a tropical vacation with this amazing no-sulfate body wash which is enriched with moisturizing coconut oil and vanilla bean extract. This fast-absorbing, tropical blend has the perfect balance between providing deep cleansing and a velvety, luxurious texture that makes your skin feel unbelievably soft. Bid goodbye to dry, ashy, and itchy skin and restore long-lasting moisture for a finish that is glowing, radiant, and oh-so-touchable.
- Rich and creamy texture
- Enriched with coconut oil and vanilla bean extract
- Refreshing tropical fragrance
- Sulfate-free surfactants
- Might not be best suited for those with extremely sensitive skin.
2) Best Non-Toxic Formula: Puracy Natural Body Wash
Clean beauty never looked this good! Made with skin-loving, plant-powered key ingredients, this sulfate-free luxurious body wash produces a rich foam to leave skin feeling fresh, hydrated, and squeaky clean. Infused with sandalwood, bergamot, and coconut-based cleansers, this formula provides gentle nourishment to the skin for a soft, silky finish. Hypoallergenic and safe for sensitive skin, this effective cleanser is free of nasty additives and has a gorgeous natural fragrance, making it a wonderful way to start the day. Before purchasing, you can also check this reaction video to know more about this body wash.
- Made with 99.3% natural ingredients
- Infused with bergamot and sandalwood
- Non-toxic and hypoallergenic
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Might not be best suited for those with extremely dry skin.
3) Best Gentle Formula: CeraVe Hydrating Body Wash
Refresh and rejuvenate your skin with this gentle sulfate-free body wash, infused with skin-plumping hyaluronic acid to cleanse your skin without stripping it of essential moisture. Developed with dermatologists, this non-comedogenic body wash is enriched with 3 essential ceramides to help restore and repair the distressed skin’s natural protective barrier. Suitable for use by those with eczema and other sensitive skin problems, this non-irritating formula is ideal for daily use by the entire family.
- Ideal for generally irritated skin
- Gentle foaming formula
- Soap and sulfate-free
- Devoid of synthetic fragrances
- Accepted by the National Eczema Association
- Recommended by dermatologists
- Some might find the scent of this body wash a bit unpleasant.
4) Best Dermatologist-Tested Formula: Vanicream Gentle Body Wash
If you’re looking for a gentle yet effective cleanser made without nasty ingredients, you’re going to love this unscented sulfate-free body wash which removes oil and dirt from the skin without stripping it of moisture. Designed specifically for sensitive skin, this unscented body wash produces a rich lather in soft or hard water for skin that is left feeling squeaky clean, soft, and supple. Dermatologist-tested for safety, this soap-free, and the oil-free product is an absolute favorite for those struggling with skin problems. You can check this brief YouTube video for more information on this body wash for sensitive skin.
- Unscented, sulfate-free formula
- Free of parabens, dyes, and lanolin
- Safe for sensitive skin
- Might not be best suited for those with very dry skin.
5) Best Vegan Formula: Love Beauty And Planet Radical Refresher Body Wash
Renew your body, mind, and spirit with this energizing body wash which leaves your skin feeling deliciously soft and refreshed. Made with naturally-derived ingredients, this delicately scented body wash contains a blend of hydrating coconut water and handpicked mimosa flowers to gently cleanse and moisturize your skin. Free of all the nasties and great for all skin types, this is a body wash you don’t want your skin to miss out on. So go on, give it a try, we’re sure you’ll thank us later.
- Made with sustainably-sourced, naturally-derived ingredients
- Formulated with phthalates
- Free of parabens, dyes, and sulfates
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Some might find the scent of this body wash a bit flowery.
6) Best Organic Option: Honeyskin Face & Body Cleanser
Hydrate, nourish, and restore your beautiful skin with this natural body wash that not only gently cleanses the skin but also infuses it with a soft, nourished glow. Free of harsh chemicals, this calming formula is chock-full of skin-plumping ingredients like antioxidant-rich aloe vera, anti-aging orange oil, and deeply hydrating coconut oil. In addition, hyaluronic acid and Manuka honey helps promote collagen production and increase cell production for skin that looks younger, healthier, and oh-so-radiant. So what are you waiting for? Add this sulfate-free body wash to your bathing ritual, and you’ll definitely thank us later! For an honest customer review of this product, you can check this video out by a skincare enthusiast.
- Made with natural and organic ingredients
- pH-balanced formula
- Hypoallergenic and safe for sensitive skin
- Free of parabens, sulfates, and SLS
- Might not be best suited for those with very oily skin.
7) Best pH-Balanced Formula: Dove Deep Moisture Nourishing Body Wash
Say hello to instantly soft skin with this nourishing cleanser made of skin-natural nutrients to infuse moisture into the skin while effectively washing away dirt and bacteria. This gentle body wash without sulfates delivers a potent mix of skin-loving, moisturizing ingredients leaving skin feeling healthy and glowing. So what are you waiting for? Give your skin some well-deserved tender, loving care and replenish your skin’s natural beauty by starting your day with Dove.
- Mild, pH-balanced formula
- Contains no sulfates and parabens
- Some might find the scent of this body wash a bit overpowering.
8) Best Cruelty-Free Formula: Tree To Tub Soapberry For Body
Get your hands on this thoughtfully formulated moisturizing body wash and indulge your senses in the gentle and relaxing benefits of lavender essential oil. Naturally scented and made with nourishing botanicals, this sulfate-free body wash is the treat your skin has been waiting for. Shea butter, aloe vera, and chamomile soothe and calm the skin while thoroughly cleansing it, maintaining the pH balance of your delicate skin without drying it out. The perfect gift for the special someone in your life, this body wash is sure to become an instant favorite.
- Creamy, organic lather
- Naturally antibacterial and anti-inflammatory
- Suitable for all skin types
- Free of irritants and harsh chemicals
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Some might find the texture of this body wash a bit thin.
9) Best Long-Lasting Formula: The Right To Shower Hope Head To Toe Cleanser
Here’s a gorgeous cleansing body wash that allows you to do a good deed while moisturizing and soothing your skin. That’s right, for every bottle of this sulfate-free body wash that you buy, you’re contributing towards bringing hope and dignity to people living on the streets. Enriched with aloe vera and dewy moss, the refreshing scent of this cleanser also has a hint of avocado, sweet clover, and sage. And there’s more! This all-in-1 body wash can also be used as a hand soap, shampoo, and face wash, keeping you feeling and smelling great all over.
- Made with naturally derived cleansers
- Enriched with certified organic aloe vera
- Free of parabens, phthalates, and sulfates
- 100% vegan and cruelty-free
- Some might find the scent of this body wash a bit overpowering.
10) Best Lightweight Texture: Renpure Lavender Honey Body Wash
If you’re looking for a luxuriously decadent plant-based body wash made of good-for-you natural ingredients, you’re in the right place. This sulfate-free body wash is infused with calming lavender and moisturizing Manuka honey to leave your skin feeling soft and nourished. The soothing formula has a lightly blended scent of sandalwood and lavender and gets rid of daily grime without drying out your skin. Responsibly sourced and ethically produced, this body wash is a favorite for those looking for clean beauty products free of harmful additives.
- Made of plant-based natural ingredients
- Gluten-free and sulfate-free
- Free of parabens, phthalates, and dyes
- Some might find the consistency of this body wash a bit thin.
11) Best For All Skin Types: Majestic Pure Natural Body Wash
Decadent and moisturizing, with an oh-so-lovely scent, this versatile body wash ticks all the right boxes when it comes to a product that makes you both look and feel good. This sulfate-free body wash thoroughly cleanses skin with carefully crafted, skin-loving ingredients like blueberry extract, olive oil, coconut oil, shea butter, and jojoba oil. It leaves the skin feeling energized and nourished without stripping it of essential moisture. The natural therapeutic scent helps calm and soothe the mind and body, making this the ideal cleanser to wash away all the stress and fatigue of the day.
- Made with all-natural, good-for-you ingredients
- Suitable for all skin types
- Paraben-free and sulfate-free
- Some might find the consistency of this body wash a bit watery.
Now that we’ve had a look at our pick of the 11 best sulfate-free body washes in 2021, let us look at some things to consider when picking the perfect body wash for your skin.
How To Choose The Best Sulfate Free Body Wash
- Skin type
Whether your skin is dry and flaky, oily and acne-ridden, or sensitive and prone to allergies, there’s a perfect sulfate-free body wash made to suit your requirements. It is best to always pick a body wash that is formulated specifically for your skin type. For example, while moisture-deprived skin would benefit from a body wash enriched with nourishing ingredients like coconut oil and aloe vera, oily skin would do well with one which is formulated with non-comedogenic ingredients. Sulfate-free body washes labeled as hypoallergenic and dermatologist-tested are ideal for those suffering from eczema and other sensitive skin problems.
While some sulfate-free body washes are energizing with a gel-like texture, others have creamy formulas with a velvety, luxurious texture. It is best to pick a body wash with a texture that makes your skin look and feel good. For example, those with dry skin might prefer a body wash with a thick, nourishing texture that provides gentle cleansing without stripping the skin of moisture. Ensure that the body washes you pick produce a rich, thick lather and have a scent that is appealing to you.
- Ingredient list
A quick look at the ingredient list will tell you volumes about the sulfate-free body wash you’re about to pick! It is always good to go for a body wash made of all-natural, good-for-you ingredients and free of potentially harmful toxins commonly found in beauty products. If you’re sensitive to strong scents, make sure to pick a cleanser which is either fragrance-free or has a light, natural scent.
How To Use Sulfate Free Body Wash
Step 1 – Start by getting into the shower and rinsing off dust and sweat with lukewarm water.
Step 2 – Squeeze a dime-sized amount of sulfate-free body wash in your palm, lather well, and apply on your body using either your hands, a bath sponge, or a washcloth.
Step 3 – Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water. Repeat if necessary.
Step 4 – Use a towel to dab your skin dry and follow up with a good body lotion.
And voila! Just like that, your skin is squeaky clean and ready to take on the day!
Benefits Of Using A Sulfate Free Body Wash
Sulfates are chemicals that are commonly found in shampoos and body washes and can wreak havoc on your skin in the long run. Here are some reasons why you should make the switch to a nourishing sulfate-free body wash asap!
- Balanced pH level – Ideal for skin that is prone to break-outs and allergies, sulfate-free body washes help restore skin’s natural balance and keep it looking radiant and healthy.
- Moisturizing – By protecting your skin against dryness caused by chemical irritants, a sulfate-free body wash helps restore and maintain your skin’s natural oils, keeping it looking and feeling soft and supple.
- Eco-friendly – Sulfates are not only bad for you, they’re terrible for the environment too! By picking a sulfate-free body wash, you’re choosing a beauty product which is more sustainable and ethically sourced.
The daily task of cleansing your body should not become why your skin is exposed to a dose of harmful chemicals and toxins that cause unnecessary damage. Your delicate skin deserves the absolute best, and nourishing, thoughtfully formulated sulfate-free body washes take center stage in ensuring your skin is treated to the best that nature has to offer. Made of skin-loving ingredients that your moisture-deprived skin will thank you for, they’re a sure shot way to getting skin that is luxuriously soft and oh-so-supple. So what are you waiting for? Our carefully curated list of the 11 best sulfate-free body washes in 2021 will be your starting guide to clean, conscious beauty.
Why Trust Stylecraze?
Vaishnavi Kothuri, the author, has a keen interest in skin care and learning new tips, techniques, and products to rejuvenate and restore your skin health and appearance. She knows that sulfate, an ingredient in most skin and hair care cleansing products like body washes, is very harmful to your skin. So, after thorough research, she recommends using these sulfate-free body washes that come with added skin benefits such as smooth texture, skin-enriching ingredients, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are sulfates bad in a body wash?
Sulfates are known irritants which can cause dryness and flare up acne over time. While they are effective cleansers, they strip the skin of essential oils and disturb the delicate pH balance of the skin. For these reasons, sulfates are not ideal in a body wash, particularly for those with dry and sensitive skin.
How long should you leave body wash on?
The shorter the better. You can leave the soap or body wash on for 3 to 5 mins before rinsing off. This way you can eliminate dirt and grime while rinsing off the lather. Long showers may strip your skin’s moisture and make the skin dry.
How do you properly use body wash?
Here is the step-by-step procedure to use a body wash:
• Wet your skin while showering and lather the body wash.
• Apply a layer of lather all over your skin.
• Rinse it off and pat dry your skin with a clean towel.
• Apply a lotion to moisturize your skin.
What does sulfate do to your body?
Dry skin is a common side-effect of sulfates. It is especially so for sensitive skin types. The products that contain SLS and SLES can cause irritation to your skin and eyes.
Is body wash better than soap?
Soaps and body washes – both have their pros and cons. Body washes are more hygienic and gentler compared to soaps. Soaps are usually more eco-friendly and affordable.