Is dandruff snowing out of your hair? Or is your hair feeling dry and brittle lately? Then you must check if your shampoo has sulfate! A moisture-killer, sulfate will strip away the dirt and oil as well as the natural moisture that your hair needs to stay healthy and look shiny. And if you have color-treated hair, then sulfate shampoos are a big no-no if you want to keep the tresses colored for a long time. So, what’s the solution? A sulfate-free shampoo, of course. And the beauty universe is brimming with umpteen sulfate-free shampoos for all hair types and to eliminate stubborn dandruff too. So, wait no more— go pick the best sulfate-free dandruff shampoo for your gorgeous hair now.
Are you ready to go dandruff and sulfate-free with the best? Here’s our list of 10 best sulfate-free dandruff shampoos of 2020 for you:
Banish the Dandruff With 10 Best Sulfate-Free Dandruff Shampoos of 2020
If dandruff had a sworn enemy, it would be tea tree oil. Eliminating dry, itchy, and flaky scalp by locking in the natural moisture, this shampoo also hydrates and conditions your hair with every use. With anti-bacterial and anti-fungal attributes, it will also keep your hair from thinning and prevent head lice too. Cleaning, soothing and moisturizing, all at the same time, this shampoo claims to be more like a therapy than cleanser with rosemary and lavender. A great solution for all your hair problems, give this sulphate-free anti-dandruff shampoo a go if you haven’t already!
- 100% natural ingredients and oil formula
- Deep cleans and strengthens the roots
- Eliminates dirt, extra sebum, and dandruff
- Hypoallergenic and safe for sensitive scalps
- Restores shine, suppleness, and softness
- Prevents shedding, irritation, and flakiness
- Chemical-free, cruelty-free, and vegan
- Strong fragrance
When your scalp turns flaky or itchy, it’s giving you a sign for help or rather a change in shampoo! This Loreal sulfate free dandruff shampoo has a travel-friendly option for you that ensures to restore the balance with 1% pyrithione zinc and neem. One of the best ways to fight the nasty dandruff and itchiness, the shampoo is also clinically-tested to minimize and control the flakiness. Give it a try, especially if you are looking for a no sulfate dandruff shampoo to use on-the-go.
- Restores hydration and softness
- Provides intense scalp and dandruff treatment
- Rejuvenates the scalp and adds shine to hair
- Paraben-free, salt-free, and surfactant-free
- It has an aromatic Indian lilac fragrance.
- It’s gentle on color-treated hair.
- Not recommended if you are sensitive to smell
- May be tough to apply on curly or wavy hair
Are you looking for a more trustable option to eliminate dandruff? Try Puracy Natural Daily Shampoo as it is developed by doctors. Formulated with natural and chemical-free ingredients such as beet sugar extract, olive oil-based squalene, vitamin B5, and vitamin E— consider your scalp taken care of instantly! From intense cleaning to making your hair looking healthier and flake-free, it also protects and intensely moisturizes the scalp. Besides this, it is gentle enough to use daily, thus making it a great choice for those who prefer frequent hair showers. It is the best affordable sulfate free shampoo. Don’t miss it!
- Rich-lathering and hypoallergenic shampoo
- Plant-derived and coconut-based formula
- Eliminates friction, dandruff, and frizzy hair
- Includes fragrance of citrus, peppermint, and eucalyptus
- Paraben-free, phosphate-free, and triclosan-free
- Gluten-free, cruelty-free, and vegan
- Suitable for all hair types and sensitive skin
- It may be slightly drying.
To hair care enthusiasts, the magic of Moroccan oil is no secret. And now you can enjoy the same in this amazing shampoo! Soothing the scalp and preventing frizzy hair, it provides intense moisture and conditioning to eliminate dryness, which is one of the root causes of dandruff. And that’s not all; it also adds a lustrous shine and volume to your hair that you’ll want to flip and flaunt all day long. Now, for all those looking for a shampoo for damaged, color-treated, or oily hair, this Moroccan shampoo could be it! It is the best sulfate free shampoo that smells good as it has gentle yet ultra-conditioning formula contains organic argan oil and extract of chamomile flowers, red clover, white willow bark, and elderflower too. Need we say more?
- Suitable for all hair types
- Plant and oil based shampoo
- Prevents and eliminates split ends
- Soothes dry scalp and softens hair
- Gentle and balances sebum on the scalp
- Promotes hair growth and ensures manageable hair
- Paraben-free, phthalate-free, cruelty-free, and vegan
- Not recommended if you are looking for a rich lather
Dandruff, what dandruff? With Botanic Hearth Tea Tree Shampoo, you don’t have to keep your hair in a bun anymore! Formulated with 100% pure tea tree oil, it clarifies and conditions the hair to bring back the lost luster. And given how tea tree oil is the ultimate dandruff-buster, it also eliminates flakiness and provides intense hydration to give your hair that healthy and bouncy look. Also, the formula is rich in vitamin C, rosemary, and lavender oil too. Yep, try it, and get ready to say goodbye to hair ties forever.
- Weightless formula
- Gentle for daily use
- Paraben-free and cruelty-free
- Soothes flaky and irritated scalp
- Ensures intense cleaning and nourishment
- Suitable for all hair types
- Thin consistency
- Not ideal if you prefer a rich foam
Tough on dandruff, but gentle on your scalp and hair— Here’s an option that ensures both deep cleansing and conditioning! But first, tell us, do you feel the urge to scratch your scalp often? Not anymore with this maximum strength shampoo that with pyrithione zinc, mulberry root, rosemary, jojoba oil, tea tree oil, biotin, and more ensures to clean the scalp thoroughly. Besides this, it also nourishes with a powerful boost of minerals, antioxidants, and vitamins to promote healthy and shiny tresses. Ideal for all hair types from thin, thick, curly, to color-treated textures, this paraben-free and sulfate free shampoo for dandruff is suitable for both men and women.
- GMP-certified and botanically rich formula
- Hypoallergenic and suitable for psoriasis
- Soothes and hydrates the scalp
- Prevents hair loss, thinning, and oiliness
- Restores softness, volume, and moisture
- Paraben-free, non-GMO, and cruelty-free
- Strong fragrance
Dry, damaged, and chemical-treated hair have a high chance of flaring up. So, if you are dealing with something similar or seborrheic dermatitis, then you must try this shampoo infused with honey, coconut, and aloe vera. Like a soothing and therapeutic tonic for your scalp with orange extract, tapioca, and cehami, it intensely moisturizes and claims to restore the pH balance too. This means your scalp not only stays happy and healthy but leaves no room for dandruff to grow or return as well. Now, that’s something worth trying!
- Gentle and organic shampoo formula
- Restores natural moisture and sebum
- Promotes healthy-looking and shiny hair
- Ensures thorough cleaning and conditioning
- Fragrance-free, paraben-free, cruelty-free, and gluten-free
Dandruff can be a real nightmare, and sometimes no home remedies can help. But before you give up, give this sulfate-free and dandruff control shampoo a go. Claiming to be an ideal combination of science and nature, it contains 8 essential oils along with pyrithione zinc to bring back your gorgeous tresses. Thoroughly cleansing as well as moisturizing, it eliminates dandruff, redness, and itchiness too. And are you earth-conscious? Because the brand uses 100% recycled bottles and a chemical-free dye for packaging. Still, want to miss it?
- Vegan and cruelty-free product
- Soothes, hydrates, and conditions hair
- Clinically-tested, botanical, and medicated dandruff shampoo
- Suitable for psoriasis, dry scalp, and color-treated hair
- Paraben-free, salt-free, and artificial preservatives-free
Argan oil is widely known for its ultra-moisturizing and hydrating benefits, and now, you can enjoy it along with the herbal complex in this cleansing shampoo! Gentle enough to use daily, it thoroughly cleans dirt and oil from the roots and strands, so you can enjoy wearing all-black without worrying about dandruff-flakes. Also, this argan oil shampoo’s moisturizing power is no joke. Leaving your hair nourished, pH-balanced, and healthy, you’ll regret not having tried this shampoo earlier. Indulge, argan oil lovers!
- Provides an intensely soothing effect
- Restores softness and suppleness
- Improves texture and adds shine
- Paraben-free, alcohol-free, and cruelty-free
- Suitable for all hair types
- Safe for colored and color-treated hair
- Not recommended if you have a severe dandruff issue
- The fragrance may be overpowering for some.
If you haven’t been told by your grandma or mom already, apple cider vinegar is an age-old formula to fight dandruff. And making the potion all the more powerful is this shampoo by Majestic Pure that also contains avocado and coconut oil for moisturizing benefits. So, to make it simple, it will not only detoxify and clean the scalp but also leave a moisturizing layer behind. Also ideal, if you are dealing with itchy scalp or frizzy hair, give this traditional-meets-modern shampoo a go!
- Suitable for all hair types
- Recommended for women and men
- Prevents itchiness, residue build-up, and flakiness
- Weightless and paraben-free product
- Ultra-hydrating and cleansing shampoo
- Safe for damaged, dry, and color-treated hair
- Packaging may not be user-friendly
Dandruff, goodbye! There you go, those are the 10 best sulfate-free anti dandruff shampoos to bring back your gorgeous and lustrous hair. To know more about why you need a sulfate-free shampoo, read our buying guide below.
Buying Guide – For Best Sulfate-Free Shampoo
Which Ingredients to Replace Sulfate with In Your Shampoo and Why?
Though many ingredients ensure better, milder, and scalp-friendly cleansing, the following ones are the top choices:
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil leads the race due to its anti-fungal and anti-bacterial attributes. Commonly found in most of the dandruff shampoos, its detoxifying and infection-fighting power is a must-have to eliminate itchiness and dandruff.
- Jojoba Oil: Since sulfate shampoos strip the natural moisture and oil off the hair, jojoba oil is recommended to restore the original suppleness and shine.
- Argan Oil: From cleansing the scalp, repairing the hair texture to moisturizing, argan oil can do it all. So, if you are dealing with dry and damaged hair, argan oil is a great choice.
- Coconut Oil: Who doesn’t know the benefits of coconut oil? Widely used for solving several hair problems, coconut oil ensures intense moisturizing and cleansing benefits that can help eliminate dandruff, flakiness, and dryness.
- Aloe Vera: If you are looking for a shampoo to soothe your dry and damaged scalp, then the one with aloe vera would be ideal. Other than soothing, it also provides nourishment and helps with hair growth.
- Eucalyptus: Another ingredient known for fighting and eliminating infection is eucalyptus. It detoxifies the healthy scalp and leaves it clean and flake-free.
Benefits of Using the Best Sulfate-Free Dandruff Shampoo
Here’s why you should use a sulfate-free shampoo:
- Minimizes Hair Loss: Sulfate shampoos other than stripping away the dirt and excess sebum will eliminate the natural moisture and oil that your hair needs to stay healthy and to grow. And in the long run, it may weaken the roots as well, thus leading to hair loss. Hence a sulfate-free shampoo is a better option to minimize hair loss.
- Eliminates Dry Scalp: Since sulfate is harsh on the scalp and hair, dryness is a given. Dandruff shampoos without sulfates, on the other hand, restore and retain the natural oil and moisture to help the scalp stay conditioned, healthy, and nourished naturally.
- Gentle on Sensitive Scalp: Do you have a sensitive scalp? Then a mild sulfate-free shampoo should be your only choice for they are nourishing, and do not strip the scalp’s natural sebum off. Also, most of them are gentle enough to be used daily too.
Now, prep up to run your hand through your hair confidently! Because with one of these dandruff shampoos in your kitty, the only snow you will enjoy will be in winter. Untie those gorgeous locks or wear those dark-colored outfits, for these sulfate-free shampoos promise to keep the flakes and itchiness far, far away. So, what are you waiting for? Pick your ideal cleanser, and let’s get rid of dandruff, the gentle way!
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Is Sulfate-Free Shampoo Good for Dandruff?
Most of the sulfate-free shampoos are good for dandruff because they are milder and will not aggravate dryness, which is the root cause for dandruff. However, you should pick a sulfate free dandruff shampoo in particular for best results.
Is Any Sulfate-Free Shampoo Good for Colored Hair?
Yes, absolutely! The reason being since sulfate-free shampoos are non-drying and mild, they will not strip the color or the moisture from the hair.
Why Are Sulfates in Shampoos Frowned Upon?
Sulfates have earned the reputation of being bad for hair because they are harsh and cause irritation and dryness. Though they might make your hair feel thoroughly cleansed, they will also eliminate the natural moisture and oil that your hair needs to stay healthy and to grow. Hence, sulfate shampoos are not recommended.
- 14 Best Sulfate-Free Shampoos Available In India
- 10 Best Drugstore Sulfate-Free Dandruff Shampoos
- Best Anti-Dandruff Shampoos Available In India – Our Top 16
- Trigaine Caffeine Shampoo Review
- 13 Best Color-Safe Dandruff Shampoos (2020) For All Hair Types
Latest posts by Chaitra Krishnan (see all)
- Eliminate Blackheads With 11 Best Ultrasonic Skin Scrubbers Of 2021 (With Reviews!) - March 4, 2021
- Alleviate Stress With The 10 Best Massage Stone Sets Of 2021 (With Reviews!) - March 3, 2021
- Mattify The Oiliness With 13 Best Non-greasy Sunscreens Of 2021 - February 27, 2021
- Go Wrinkle-Free With The 13 Best Drugstore Retinols Of 2021 - February 17, 2021
- Banish Puffiness And Wrinkles With 13 Best Rollers Of 2021 - February 6, 2021