It’s a well-known fact that unprotected exposure to the sun’s rays can cause skin damage. We would like to believe that we are all pretty familiar with sunscreen and its importance. But did you know the sun’s UV rays can also damage your hair? While your hair may not peel off or turn red like on your face or arms, the sun will definitely burn your unprotected hair and scalp, resulting in dry, brittle and lifeless hair. The good news is that there are various sun protection products you can use, ranging from oils to creams. You’ve just got to find the one that suits your hair best! Given below is a list of 12 products that protect your hair and scalp from sun damage all year long.
Before we start talking about various products, let’s learn a little about why sun-protection products are essential for your hair.
Why Do I Need Sun Protection For Hair
- Reduces damage: Prolonged sun exposure can affect the hair’s cuticle (the protective, outermost layer of the hair shaft). It produces free-radical elements that attack the hair and make it fragile and prone to damage. If your hair is exposed to chlorine, pollution, and other environmental factors, it becomes more vulnerable. Using a sun-protection product will reduce further damage and keep your hair moisturized. This will protect your scalp from sunburn, stop hair thinning, and make your hair softer and easy to manage.
- Stops hair color fading: Whether your hair is color-treated or not, you will notice a slight change in the color of your hair when it is exposed to intense heat from the sun. Using a product with UV filters is necessary to help your natural pigment melanin, to do its job – which is to protect your hair by filtering UV light.
- Provides hydration: Extreme heat can reduce moisture in your hair. So, use a product with antioxidants to keep your hair hydrated at all times. This will prevent it from drying.
12 Best Sun-Protection Products For Hair
Now, go ahead and check out these best sun-protection hair products!
For all of you beach bums out there, this 3-in-1 leave-in conditioner spray is everything you need (and more) to protect your hair from the scorching sun. A special vegan blend of coconut and sunflower oil, quinoa protein and banana (pulp, peel, and leaf) it repairs damage, reduces tangles, and slows down color fading. Plus, the formula acts like a shot of moisture for your scalp while also controlling frizz and preventing split ends. Simply spray the product onto wet or dry hair, brush to untangle any knots, and you are good to go. Get ready to spend a lazy day at the beach without any worries!
- Does not need to be rinsed
- Cruelty and paraben-free
- Provides hydration
- Enhances hair
- May leave a greasy residue
Shield your hair with this natural, light, and non-greasy leave-in conditioner that protects hair color and restores natural shine following sun, salt, sand, and chlorine exposure. Enriched with the goodness of a powerful antioxidant blend that includes green tea, tulsi, wakame, and olive oil, this formula will defend your hair against sun damage, strengthen your hair, and replenish moisture – meaning your hair won’t be frizzy anymore. For best results, apply on damp hair, comb through and leave it on while you enjoy your time in the sun or water. Bonus: this product is safe for your skin and the environment.
- Biodegradable formula
- Protects hair color
- Detangles and conditions hair
- Suitable for color-treated hair
- No sulfate, parabens, phthalates or dyes
- No SPF protection
With a mix of green tea extract, organic flower seed oil, and vitamin E, together with organic shea butter, coconut and palm oils, this protective hair veil by Aveda nourishes and conditions your hair from root to tip. As the title suggests, it works like a veil by forming an invisible film on your hair and protects it from UV rays for upto 16 hours, in turn minimizing loss of color damage and dryness. An ideal choice for daily use, it’s especially good at keeping frizzy hair at bay. If that’s not enough, the mild aroma of neroli ylang-ylang and wildcrafted citrus reduces stress and elevates your mood. No doubt, it’s an all-in-all hair savior!
- Reduces frizz
- Minimizes hair color damage
- A single application lasts for 16 hours
- Fruity-floral scent
- Mood booster
- May not be suitable for thin hair
Packed with potent antioxidants such as green tea extract and vitamin E, this Q-Sunshade leave-in conditioner by Q-SkinScience is a multifunctional product that nourishes, detangles, and softens hair, making it more manageable. Infused with SPF 30, it provides UV protection, further protecting your scalp against sun damage. It is especially beneficial for people suffering from hair thinning, or alopecia. Still not convinced? It works well on color-treated hair by sealing its vibrancy and giving it a lasting shine.
- Sunscreen with SPF 30
- Ideal for color-treated hair
- Suitable for sensitive scalp
- Antioxidant protection
- Lasts for 80 minutes
- May weigh down thin hair
For more than a decade, Alba Botanica has been a thriving entity of the beauty industry and creating a range of body-loving products. Their Hawaiin sunscreen spray is nothing short of spectacular. Formulated to include a combination of coconut extract, shea butter, avocado oil, and SPF 50, it protects your hair and scalp from harmful UVA and UVB rays. It is lightweight and has the ability to seep into your skin quickly, giving your hair a smooth finish. When you have a product that is backed by the Skin Cancer Foundation, you don’t have to think twice about buying it.
- 100% vegetarian product
- Cruelty-free and reef-free
- Does not weigh down your hair
- Water-resistant for upto 80 minutes
- No oxybenzone, octinoxate, or synthetic fragrances
- May not last longer
Don’t let the sun leave your newly colored hair dry and brittle. Hydrate and deeply condition your hair with this color-protect locking spray by Paul Mitchell. Among other ingredients, this formula contains a key element, sunflower extract, which protects your hair from the sun and keeps color from fading. To reap the maximum benefit of this product, it is recommended to be used on damp, towel-dried hair and by thoroughly brushing the hair, so that each strand is coated with this formula.
- Moisturizes hair
- Extends life of hair color
- May be a little watery for some
- May leave your hair feeling sticky
Protect your colored strands all summer long with the GKhair Juvexin Color Protection Conditioner. This conditioner not only provides UV/UVA shield protection but also helps lock-in color for a long time. The combination of natural seed oil, plant, and grain extracts will moisturize and nourish damaged hair. The addition of Juvexin (a keratin anti-aging agent) will further fortify your hair. Perfect for everyday use, it is best used along with the color shield shampoo after any hair color or hair styling service.
- All-natural formula
- Repairs split ends
- Provides color protection
- Free from harmful chemicals
- Slightly expensive
We all know how essential it is to apply sunscreen to our bodies, but we bet most of us weren’t aware of using sunscreen on our scalp. Here is a product specially designed for your scalp. It provides protection from UVA and UVB rays and moisturizes frizzy hair. This formula is clear and dries out quickly. But don’t forget to reapply it almost every two hours if you’re staying out for longer. If you’re someone who is always in a rush, why not give this scalp spray a try. You will be happy to know that the Skin Cancer Foundation recommends this product.
- Water-resistant for upto 80 mins
- Broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection.
- Prevents scalp burn
- Some may find the scent too strong
Summer is yet to begin, but we are already dreaming about warm days on the beach and swimming in the pool. But happy days like these come with their own drawbacks – harsh sun rays burning and damaging your skin and hair. While you may have sunscreen for your skin, we recommend you keep a sun-protection product for your hair handy, too. Lasio Hair Protector is a must-have to protect your lustrous mane from the sun’s rays and chlorinated/saltwater. Infused with Keratin, it protects Keratin-treated hair. Just spray it on your hair and use it as a leave-in product.
- Adds moisture and nourishes hair
- Reduces damage
- Prevents hair color from fading
- Improves keratin by 40%
- Convenient and travel-friendly
You no longer have a reason to worry with ‘I’m Hair Sun & Treatment’ at your service and its assurance of a foolproof protection from UV rays. It provides nutrition and prevents hair loss along with discoloration caused due to extreme heat. This 3-in-1 hair care product contains sunflower seed oil, argan oil, and keratin complex, among other plant extracts, to provide some much-needed moisture and nutrients to the hair. Moreover, it is designed specifically to match the acidity of human skin, and to maintain pH balance, to avoid skin irritation. It has a floral-fruity scent, and guarantees to lend your hair freshness.
- Uses US FDA approved safety-proven UV filter
- pH level of 5.5
- Suitable for all skin types
Rita Hazan Lock + Block Protective Spray can be a wonderful addition to your list of sun-protection products for your hair. Specially curated for color-treated hair, this lightweight mist protects hair against UV damage and prevents premature color fading. This product can also be used as a leave-in spray to block out humidity. It contains hair-nourishing vitamins that leave your hair feeling smooth, silky, and frizz-free. It can be used after styling and before sun exposure and works best when sprayed onto dry hair.
- Formulated for color-treated hair
- Does not disrupt your hairstyle
- Fights frizz
- For all hair types
- Sulfate, sodium chloride and paraben-free
- May not be effective on hair damaged due to chlorine or salt water exposure
Bare Republic UV Protecting Conditioner is a must-have and last on the list of products we recommend to protect your hair from sun damage. This conditioner is used to clean hair and repair it from frequent exposure to saltwater and chlorine, and protect your hair and scalp from the harsh heat. It deeply moisturizes dry and coarse hair and improves hair quality with monoi oil, mango butter, quinoa extract, and argan oil. Combined with hydrating and replenishing properties, this conditioner revives lifeless hair and keeps it shiny even in the sun.
- Repairs damaged hair
- High-quality UV protection
- Can be used on color-treated hair
- Free of chemicals and synthetic fragrances
- It is only effective when used with a shampoo
Everyone wants to look and feel good and enjoy their time at the beach. But it’s not all that easy, especially when you know your skin and hair needs to be protected from the harmful rays. We give so much importance to our skin and try to keep it protected at all times, we end up forgetting about our crowning glory. Luckily, you don’t have to go to lengthy measures, thanks to these 12 best products that protect your hair from the sun. Have you tried any of these products? Tell us in the comments below which ones worked the best!
Latest posts by Mayuri J Ravi (see all)
- 13 Best Drugstore Moisturizers For Combination Skin You Need To Try In 2021 - February 8, 2021
- 13 Best Dual Voltage Curling Irons In 2021 - February 8, 2021
- 10 Best Clay Masks For Combination Skin In 2021 - February 6, 2021
- 15 Best Charcoal Peel-Off Masks Of 2021 For Clearer And Radiant Complexion - February 4, 2021
- 13 Best 3D Mascaras Of 2021 You Need In Your Makeup Kit - February 1, 2021