12 Best Sun-Protection Products For The Hair And Scalp – 2023
Shine bright and carefree under the sun and don't hesitate from letting your hair down.
If you knew the effect of the sun on your body, you would get sun protection for hair pretty soon. We know without being out in the sun, you will lack vitamin D, and that is a big no-no, but while we protect our skin from UV rays with the help of sunscreens, our hair is left alone to scorch. Overexposed hair turns brittle and lifeless, and no matter how you choose to treat it, it takes longer than you think to recover. The good news is, there are several hair products that shield your hair from the sun and make sure the shine stays protected always. In this article, we have curated a list of 12 such products that you can choose from to make sure your hair does not lose its shine.
In This Article
Why Do I Need Sun Protection For Hair
- Reduces damage: Prolonged sun exposure can affect the hair’s cuticle (the protective, outermost layer of the hair shaft). It produces free-radical elements that attack the hair and make it fragile and prone to damage. If your hair is exposed to chlorine, pollution, and other environmental factors, it becomes more vulnerable. Using a sun-protection product will reduce further damage and keep your hair moisturized. This will protect your scalp from sunburn, stop hair thinning, and make your hair softer and easy to manage.
- Stops hair color fading: Whether your hair is color-treated or not, you will notice a slight change in the color of your hair when it is exposed to intense heat from the sun. Using a product with UV filters is necessary to help your natural pigment melanin, to do its job – which is to protect your hair by filtering UV light.
- Provides hydration: Extreme heat can reduce moisture in your hair. So, use a product with antioxidants to keep your hair hydrated at all times. This will prevent it from drying.
12 Best Sun-Protection Products For Hair
Now, go ahead and check out these best sun-protection hair products!
1. Best Overall:Sun Bum Revitalizing 3-In-1 Leave-In Hair Conditioner Spray
For all of you beach bums out there, this 3-in-1 leave-in conditioner spray is everything you need (and more) to protect your hair from the scorching sun. A special vegan blend of coconut and sunflower oil, quinoa protein and banana (pulp, peel, and leaf) it repairs damage, reduces tangles, and slows down color fading. Plus, the formula acts like a shot of moisture for your scalp while also controlling frizz and preventing split ends. Simply spray the product onto wet or dry hair, brush to untangle any knots, and you are good to go. Get ready to spend a lazy day at the beach without any worries!
- Does not need to be rinsed
- Cruelty and paraben-free
- Provides hydration
- Enhances hair
- May leave a greasy residue
2. Best Biodegradable:Stream2Sea Leave-In Hair Conditioner
Shield your hair with this natural, light, and non-greasy leave-in conditioner that protects hair color and restores natural shine following sun, salt, sand, and chlorine exposure. Enriched with the goodness of a powerful antioxidant blend that includes green tea, tulsi, wakame, and olive oil, this formula will defend your hair against sun damage, strengthen your hair, and replenish moisture – meaning your hair won’t be frizzy anymore. For best results, apply on damp hair, comb through and leave it on while you enjoy your time in the sun or water. Bonus: this product is safe for your skin and the environment.
- Biodegradable formula
- Protects hair color
- Detangles and conditions hair
- Suitable for color-treated hair
- No sulfate, parabens, phthalates or dyes
- No SPF protection
3. Best Scent:Aveda Sun Care Protective Hair Veil
With a mix of green tea extract, organic flower seed oil, and vitamin E, together with organic shea butter, coconut and palm oils, this protective hair veil by Aveda nourishes and conditions your hair from root to tip. As the title suggests, it works like a veil by forming an invisible film on your hair and protects it from UV rays for upto 16 hours, in turn minimizing loss of color damage and dryness. An ideal choice for daily use, it’s especially good at keeping frizzy hair at bay. If that’s not enough, the mild aroma of neroli ylang-ylang and wildcrafted citrus reduces stress and elevates your mood. No doubt, it’s an all-in-all hair savior!
- Reduces frizz
- Minimizes hair color damage
- A single application lasts for 16 hours
- Fruity-floral scent
- Mood booster
- May not be suitable for thin hair
4. Best For Colored-Treated Hair:Q-Skin Science Q-Sunshade
Packed with potent antioxidants such as green tea extract and vitamin E, this Q-Sunshade leave-in conditioner by Q-SkinScience is a multifunctional product that nourishes, detangles, and softens hair, making it more manageable. Infused with SPF 30, it provides UV protection, further protecting your scalp against sun damage. It is especially beneficial for people suffering from hair thinning, or alopecia. Still not convinced? It works well on color-treated hair by sealing its vibrancy and giving it a lasting shine.
- Sunscreen with SPF 30
- Ideal for color-treated hair
- Suitable for sensitive scalp
- Antioxidant protection
- Lasts for 80 minutes
- May weigh down thin hair
5. Best Water-Resistant:Alba Botanica Hawaiin Sunscreen
For more than a decade, Alba Botanica has been a thriving entity of the beauty industry and creating a range of body-loving products. Their Hawaiin sunscreen spray is nothing short of spectacular. Formulated to include a combination of coconut extract, shea butter, avocado oil, and SPF 50, it protects your hair and scalp from harmful UVA and UVB rays. It is lightweight and has the ability to seep into your skin quickly, giving your hair a smooth finish. When you have a product that is backed by the Skin Cancer Foundation, you don’t have to think twice about buying it.
- 100% vegetarian product
- Cruelty-free and reef-free
- Does not weigh down your hair
- Water-resistant for upto 80 minutes
- No oxybenzone, octinoxate, or synthetic fragrances
- May not last longer
6. Best Moisturizing:Paul Mitchell Color Protect Locking Spray
Don’t let the sun leave your newly colored hair dry and brittle. Hydrate and deeply condition your hair with this color-protect locking spray by Paul Mitchell. Among other ingredients, this formula contains a key element, sunflower extract, which protects your hair from the sun and keeps color from fading. To reap the maximum benefit of this product, it is recommended to be used on damp, towel-dried hair and by thoroughly brushing the hair, so that each strand is coated with this formula.
- Moisturizes hair
- Extends life of hair color
- May be a little watery for some
- May leave your hair feeling sticky
7. Best Gluten-Free:GKhair Juvexin Color Protection Conditioner
Protect your colored strands all summer long with the GKhair Juvexin Color Protection Conditioner. This conditioner not only provides UV/UVA shield protection but also helps lock-in color for a long time. The combination of natural seed oil, plant, and grain extracts will moisturize and nourish damaged hair. The addition of Juvexin (a keratin anti-aging agent) will further fortify your hair. Perfect for everyday use, it is best used along with the color shield shampoo after any hair color or hair styling service.
- All-natural formula
- Repairs split ends
- Provides color protection
- Free from harmful chemicals
- Slightly expensive
8. Best Scalp Protection:Banana Boat Sport Quik Dri Scalp Spray
We all know how essential it is to apply sunscreen to our bodies, but we bet most of us weren’t aware of using sunscreen on our scalp. Here is a product specially designed for your scalp. It provides protection from UVA and UVB rays and moisturizes frizzy hair. This formula is clear and dries out quickly. But don’t forget to reapply it almost every two hours if you’re staying out for longer. If you’re someone who is always in a rush, why not give this scalp spray a try. You will be happy to know that the Skin Cancer Foundation recommends this product. This video will help you make an informed decision about your purchase.
- Water-resistant for upto 80 mins
- Broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection.
- Prevents scalp burn
- Some may find the scent too strong
9. Best Travel-Friendly:Lasio Hair Protector
Summer is yet to begin, but we are already dreaming about warm days on the beach and swimming in the pool. But happy days like these come with their own drawbacks – harsh sun rays burning and damaging your skin and hair. While you may have sunscreen for your skin, we recommend you keep a sun-protection product for your hair handy, too. Lasio Hair Protector is a must-have to protect your lustrous mane from the sun’s rays and chlorinated/saltwater. Infused with Keratin, it protects Keratin-treated hair. Just spray it on your hair and use it as a leave-in product.
- Adds moisture and nourishes hair
- Reduces damage
- Prevents hair color from fading
- Improves keratin by 40%
- Convenient and travel-friendly
10. Best Hypoallergenic:Suntique I’m Hair Sun &Treatment
You no longer have a reason to worry with ‘I’m Hair Sun & Treatment’ at your service and its assurance of a foolproof protection from UV rays. It provides nutrition and prevents hair loss along with discoloration caused due to extreme heat. This 3-in-1 hair care product contains sunflower seed oil, argan oil, and keratin complex, among other plant extracts, to provide some much-needed moisture and nutrients to the hair. Moreover, it is designed specifically to match the acidity of human skin, and to maintain pH balance, to avoid skin irritation. It has a floral-fruity scent, and guarantees to lend your hair freshness.
- Uses US FDA approved safety-proven UV filter
- pH level of 5.5
- Suitable for all skin types
11. Best For All Hair Types:Rita Hazan Lock + Block Protective Spray
Rita Hazan Lock + Block Protective Spray can be a wonderful addition to your list of sun-protection products for your hair. Specially curated for color-treated hair, this lightweight mist protects hair against UV damage and prevents premature color fading. This product can also be used as a leave-in spray to block out humidity. It contains hair-nourishing vitamins that leave your hair feeling smooth, silky, and frizz-free. It can be used after styling and before sun exposure and works best when sprayed onto dry hair.
- Formulated for color-treated hair
- Does not disrupt your hairstyle
- Fights frizz
- For all hair types
- Sulfate, sodium chloride and paraben-free
- May not be effective on hair damaged due to chlorine or salt water exposure
12. Best Eco-Friendly:Klorane Protective Oi
Protect your hair from strong UV rays with the Klorane Protective Oil. This oil is infused with ylang-ylang wax that protects your hair from sun damage, salt, and chloride. The wax is rich in lauric acid, omega-6, and omega-9 acids that nourishes your hair. In addition, the water-resistant formula protects the hair from color-fade. The oil has a lightweight texture and makes your hair feel soft, silky, and radiant. Moreover, you can use this protective oil before, during, and after sun exposure.
- SLS and paraben-free
- May leave your scalp greasy
Most of us love spending time out on the beach or the pool after lathering up on sunscreen lotions, but what about our hair? Are hats enough? Sun rays contain harmful UV rays that can damage human skin and hair. As we protect our skin with the best quality sunscreens, the hair also needs specially crafted sprays or hair products that minimize the effects of damaging UV rays. Sun damaged hair turns rough and lifeless and often fades in color. Especially when you spend a lot of time outdoors, you must be cautious about using hair products that offer sun protection. However, you need to focus on the hair products that are paraben-free, are color-safe, provide hydration, and minimize frizz. But, say no-no to the products that are loaded with chemicals like paraben and sulfates.
Why Trust Stylecraze
Kirtana Divakar, the author, is a hair care aficionado who believes that investing in the right sun protection products will protect your hair from the harmful rays of the sun and make your hair shine. She looked through user feedback online and curated this list of the leading sun protection products for the hair. These products are made of natural ingredients that reduce frizz, keep your scalp moisturized, and also protect your hair color.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I use to protect my hair from the sun?
Wear a scarf or hat to protect your hair from the direct sun rays. In addition, use sun-protection products to heal the sun damage and prevent the UV rays from penetrating your hair shaft.
Can you get sun protection for your hair?
Yes. Apply the above-listed products to your hair and protect it from sun damage.
How can I protect my hair outside?
• Apply plant-based natural leave-in conditioner to your hair before stepping out in the sun to prevent the sun rays from penetrating your hair shaft.
• Braid your long hair, clip it on your head, and wear a scarf. Or, wear a hat if you have short hair.
Does coconut oil protect hair from the sun?
Coconut hair boosts moisture in your hair and rejuvenates the scalp. It also protects your hair from UV damage and enhances its texture.
What is the best oil to protect hair from the sun?
Raspberry seed oil is rich in vitamin E, which nourishes and improves hair elasticity. In addition, the oil offers protection against sun rays and enhances its shine.
How long does UV protection last on hair?
The UV protection lasts for around 14 hours on your hair. So, reapply the sun protection products to keep your hair healthy and protected for many more hours.
Is the sun damaging your hair?
Yes. The sun’s harmful UV rays penetrate the hair shaft, discolor the strands, dry out the hair, and develop split ends. In addition, the UV rays cause hair fall.
- Best Anti-Humidity Hair Products
- Best Strong Hold Hairsprays For Natural Hair
- Best Fragrance-Free Hair Sprays For Sensitive Skin
- Best Hair Shine Sprays
- Best Sunscreens For Scalp And Hair You Should Try