4 Best Ways Tamarind Helps You To Lose Weight
Shedding those stubborn pounds has never been easier than with this tropical fruit!
Have you ever seen yourself in the mirror and got frustrated with those extra pounds or loose muscles? Did you ever get fed up of indulging in crash diets or using miracle weight loss pills because they gave no results?
If this is the case, then there is some amazing news for you. You can now lose weight, I mean, really lose weight with this one super-ingredient that is available in your kitchen!
It is the wonder-food tamarind. Are you thinking how the humble tamarind can help you in losing weight? Is tamarind good for weight loss? Sit back and read on! You will be amazed!
In This Article
What Is Tamarind?
Tamarind is a leguminous tree belonging to the Fabaceae family and indigenous to tropical Africa. The tamarind tree produces edible, pod-like fruits, which are used extensively in cuisines around the world.
Nutritional Values Of Tamarind
To understand how this healthy food helps one lose weight, we need to first take a look at all the nutrients present in it.
Here are the nutritional facts of tamarind (1):
|Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)|
|Energy||239 kcal (1,000 kJ)|
|Dietary fiber||5.1 g|
|Thiamine (B1)||(37%) 0.428 mg|
|Riboflavin (B2)||(13%) 0.152 mg|
|Niacin (B3)||(13%) 1.938 mg|
|Pantothenic acid (B5)||(3%) 0.143 mg|
|Vitamin B6||(5%) 0.066 mg|
|Folate (B9)||(4%) 14 μg|
|Choline||(2%) 8.6 mg|
|Vitamin C||(4%) 3.5 mg|
|Vitamin E||(1%) 0.1 mg|
|Vitamin K||(3%) 2.8 μg|
|Calcium||(7%) 74 mg|
|Iron||(22%) 2.8 mg|
|Magnesium||(26%) 92 mg|
|Phosphorus||(16%) 113 mg|
|Potassium||(13%) 628 mg|
|Sodium||(2%) 28 mg|
|Zinc||(1%) 0.1 mg|
|Link to USDA Database entry|
|Units μg = micrograms • mg = milligrams IU = International units|
|Percentages are roughly approximated using US recommendations for adults.|
Source: USDA Nutrient Database
Now that we know which nutrients tamarind has, let’s understand how it helps to aid in weight loss overall fitness, and healthy living.
Tamarind For Weight Loss:
1. Contains Hydroxy Citric Acid
Tamarind contains HCA – hydroxy citric acid which slows down the production of fat. HCA is very similar to citric acid. This acid is present in many other plants too, but it is most prominently found in tamarind. Studies suggest that HCA inhibits the enzyme in the body that promotes fat storage. Hydroxycitric acid also suppresses appetite by increasing serotonin neurotransmitter levels. It also burns fat during long exercises. But research is in progress to check HCA’s effect on metabolic rates (2), (3).
2. Acts As A Mild Laxative
Tamarind also acts as a mild laxative (4). Tamarind juice is effective in treating and preventing bile disorders (5).
3. Helps The Digestive System:
Consumption of tamarind aids in the smooth working of the digestive system. This makes sure your health stays at its optimum levels (6 ).
4. Helps Prevent Overeating:
If you are accumulating pounds due to binge eating and finding it hard to control yourself, then tamarind benefits weight loss by setting up your appetite right (7).
What Are The Other Benefits Of Tamarind?
- Tamarind may not only helps you lose weight but its nutrition also offers a number of other benefits, thanks to the abundance of vitamins, minerals, and fiber in it (1).
- Tamarind can be used to cure sore throat (8).
- Tamarind may help fight against cancer too. It contains high levels of antioxidants, which may help prevent and combat colon cancer (9).
- Tamarind is rich in Vitamin C (1). Hence, it serves as a fantastic cure for scurvy and other health issues related to the deficiency of Vitamin C (10).
- Applying tamarind on wounds may lead to faster healing (11).
Infographic: 4 Ways Tamarind May Promote Weight Loss
Losing weight can be tough. And with all those extra hours in the gym, if you still cannot see any results, try consuming tamarind. This tangy delight may help you achieve your weight loss goals. Check out the infographic below to learn the top 4 ways it may support your weight loss journey. Scroll down.
Tamarind is a rich source of hydroxy citric acid, a compound that is known to slow down fat production in the body. In addition to healthy eating, this citrus fruit may work as an appetite suppressant since it can increase the levels of serotonin neurotransmitters in the brain, which is all the more reason to add it to your diet. Consuming tamarind for weight management also comes with other health benefits as it is rich in various minerals and vitamins. For instance, tamarind may help improve digestion and exert a mild laxative effect. It also may be used to facilitate wound healing and cure sore throats. With its rich tangy taste, tamarind has various culinary uses, so it is fairly easy to incorporate it into your meal plans and healthy lifestyle.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much tamarind should I eat daily?
10 grams of tamarind is generally considered safe for daily consumption.
Is eating raw tamarind good for weight loss?
Yes, raw tamarind is considered good for weight loss and general wellness. It helps burn fat and may also reduce cholesterol levels, which may improve metabolism and trigger weight loss.
Can tamarind reduce belly fat?
Tamarind has a decent amount of fiber. It may help promote satiety and reduce food intake, which may trigger overall weight loss, including belly fat loss.
- The high fiber and low calorie content in tamarind make it a good food choice for weight watchers.
- It is rich in hydroxy citric acid, which may slow fat production and suppress appetite to keep you from overeating.
- Consuming tamarind may also assist with the smoother working of the digestive system and boost the metabolic rate.
- Besides weight loss, tamarind may also alleviate the symptoms of sore throat and issues related to Vitamin C deficiency.
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- Tamarinds raw
- Effects of garcinia cambogia (Hydroxycitric Acid) on visceral fat accumulation: a double-blind randomized placebo-controlled trial☆
- Safety and mechanism of appetite suppression by a novel hydroxycitric acid extract (HCA-SX)
- The laxative effect of fresh pulp aqueous extracts of Thai Tamarind cultivars
- Tamarindus indica L. – A review of traditional uses phytochemistry and pharmacology
- Assessment of the potential genotoxic risk of medicinal Tamarindus indica fruit pulp extract using in vivo assays
- A Trypsin Inhibitor from Tamarind Reduces Food Intake and Improves Inflammatory Status in Rats with Metabolic Syndrome Regardless of Weight Loss
- Tamarind (Tamarindus indica L.) research – a review
- Chemopreventive effects of a Tamarindus indica fruit extract against colon carcinogenesis depends on the dietary cholesterol levels in hamsters
- Physicochemical composition of Tamarindus indica L. (Tamarind) in the agro-ecological zones of Uganda
- Effect of Tamarindus indica (Linn) on the Rate of Wound Healing in Adult Rabbits