Complete Beginners Guide For Wigs – Our Top 10 Wigs
Revamp your look with skin-friendly, shed-resistant wigs that are easy to wear.
Are you new to trying wigs? Well, you are at the right place, for we have a list of the best wigs for beginners. Wearing a wig is one of the most convenient things you can do, as it will give you a new look without altering your natural look. For those who have been avoiding wigs thinking it will make you look artificial, wigs nowadays are designed to match natural hair texture, and it is near impossible to differentiate natural hair from the wig. We have a set of 10 wigs specially crafted for beginners. Once you get the hang of it, there is no going back to boring hairstyles!
- 1 Best Over All Releek Brazilian Deep Wave Wet and Wavy Human Hair Wigs $98 ON AMAZON Read More › $98 ON AMAZON
- 2 Best For Cosplay eNilecor Short Bob Hair Wigs 12" Straight $21.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $21.99 ON AMAZON
- 3 Best Voluminous Curly Wig Netgo Women's Green Mixed Black Wig $23.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $23.99 ON AMAZON
- 4 Best Skin-Friendly Kalyss Women's Black Color Short Bob Wig With Hair Bangs $18.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $18.99 ON AMAZON
- 5 Best Blonde Wig K'ryssma Fashion Ombre Blonde Glueless Lace Front Wig K'ryssma $39.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $39.99 ON AMAZON
- 6 Best Chemical-Free Wig Younsolo Body Wave Lace Front Wigs $184.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $184.99 ON AMAZON
- 7 Best Shed-Resistant Wig FUHSI Kanekalon Fiber 13×6 Inch Lace Front Wig $42.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $42.99 ON AMAZON
- 8 Best For Black Hair Lovers Jaja Hair Short Bob Lace Front Wig $77.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $77.99 ON AMAZON
- 9 Best Heat-Resistant Wig BERON 14'' Short Curly Synthetic Wig With Bangs $17.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $17.99 ON AMAZON
- 10 Best For A Bold Look QT HAIR Lace Front Wig with Baby Hair $108.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $108.99 ON AMAZON
In This Article
What Does A Wig Mean
A wig is a hair accessory or a covering of artificial hair that is generally worn on the head to cover hair loss or to enhance the appearance of hair. A wig is commonly made using human hair, synthetic fibers that resemble human hair, or using animal hair.
Types Of Wigs
- Lace Front Wigs
The lace front wigs are made using synthetic or human hair. These wigs are tied to a sheer lace base that is very soft and lightweight. Swiss lace and glass-silk are used to prepare a 100% hand-tied wig.
- Polyurethane Style wig
Poly wigs are mostly thin and pigmented. These wigs are used to complement the skin tone of the person. The skin-like material used to prepare these wigs make it easier to stick the wigs using tapes and adhesives.
Apart from these, there are some popular other types of hair wigs like full lace hair wigs, custom-made wigs, monofilament hair wigs, Miraj hair skin wigs, weft cap wigs, machine weft wigs, hand-tied wigs, etc.
- Synthetic vs. Natural
- Synthetic wigs are made using synthetic fibers while the natural wigs are made using human hair. These wigs look realistic and offer a real feel compared to the synthetic wigs.
- Natural wigs can be styled, colored, and treated as natural human hair, while on the other hand, the synthetic wigs cannot be styled.
- The natural wigs react to weather and can become frizzy, sticky or dry, depending on the weather. Synthetic wigs remain the same regardless of the weather and temperature.
- When worn daily, the natural wigs last more than synthetic hair. Natural wigs last for almost a year, while synthetic wigs last for 4-6 months.
- Natural hair wigs are more expensive compared to synthetic wigs.
- Natural wigs might fade due to exposure to light.
How To Take Care Of A Wig?
Below mentioned are a few guidelines for taking good care of your wig.
- How To Brush A Wig?
To brush your wig, here are the steps you need to follow:
- To brush your wig, put it on the stand, or you could wear it and brush it with a mirror in front of you.
- Before brushing, have a look at the hair tangles. If it is highly tangled, you can use a leave-in-conditioner or spray to smoothen the tangled strands. Leave-in-sprays are also available for synthetic wigs.
- After applying the spray, pick the right brush and start brushing it from bottom to top. Make sure that you choose a wide-toothed comb.
- Brushing the hair from top to bottom can cause more tangling, so gently start from the bottom.
- How To Wash A Wig
Here are certain things you need to keep in mind while washing your wig:
- Use a wide-toothed comb and gently detangle your hair from bottom to top.
- To clean your wig, fill cold water in a tub and rinse it.
- Mix a small amount of shampoo in the water and soak the wig in it for a few minutes.
- Make sure that you do not rub the wig harshly.
- Remove the wig from the tub and put it into another bowl filled with clean cold water.
- To condition the wig, apply some conditioner and leave it on for 4-5 minutes.
- Rinse the conditioner by soaking the wig once again in cold water.
- Use a cotton towel to dry the wig and gently pat the hair.
- Don’t squeeze or wring the wig and let it dry.
- How To Secure A Wig
Here are some ways to secure the wig properly:
- Wig Glue
Wig glue is one of the most widely preferred adhesives to secure a wig in place. It is a roll-on adhesive that secures the wig without leaving any stains. To use it, apply some rubbing alcohol on the hairline to cleanse dirt, oil, or build-up. Roll the wig glue on your hairline and let it dry a bit and then place the wig. Start securing the wig from the sides and then do so from the back and front. Let it dry for 10 minutes, and it will be ready.
- Wig Tape
Wig tape is quite rigorous compared to wig glue, and it may also rip off some of your hair when you remove it. Wig tapes are a double-sided tape that sticks the hair on one side and your scalp on the other. To use it, cleanse your scalp using rubbing alcohol. Cut the wig tapes into segments and peel one side of the tape to stick it on your hairline. Start from the front and work towards the back, holding the tape on the hairline. Now remove the tape on the other side and stick the wig to it from front to the back.
- Bobby Pins
When you are using extensions or wigs to enhance your natural hair, bobby pins can be used to secure wigs. To use the bobby pins, choose ones that match the color of your hair and wig. Now collect all your hair and tie it down in a ponytail. Also, secure any flyaways using a gel. Put the wig on your head and secure it from front to back. Now start lifting sections of your hair and secure the sections with bobby pins. Put enough bobby pins to hold the wig securely.
- Wig Caps
Wig caps sit beneath your wig and offer a grip to your skin. To use the wig cap, clean the head with rubbing alcohol, and stretch the wig cap using your hands. Fix it on your head and work from front to back. Carefully secure the cap without leaving any gaps. Now place the wig on your cap and secure it tightly.
- Silicone solution sheets
Silicone sheets are to be cut and secured on the hairline to fix the wig. You’ll have to sew the silicone strips into the front of your wig. Cover the entire wig and secure the wig onto your head. It will offer a better grip.
- Wig Grip
Wig grips are made using double-sided velvet and are designed to grip the head and wig. To wear the wig grip, secure your hair into a ponytail, and tame the flyaways using a gel or spray. Place the wig grip on your hairline and use the Velcro strap for adjustments. Once done, place it on the grip and work on the front, sides, and back.
How To Put On A Wig
Here are the steps you need to follow to put on a wig:
- Secure your natural hair
To make your wig look natural, it is crucial to secure your natural hair well. Tie your hair into a ponytail, and apply a spray or gel to tame flyaways. You can use a wig liner, bobby pins, or a cap to secure the natural hair.
- Apply the wig
To apply the wig, use both your hands, hold the wig and tilt your head forwards. Put the wig from front to back.
- Adjusting the wig
Once you have put the wig, it’s time to make adjustments. Adjust your wig from the eyebrows to the hairline and slip the wig like a shower cap. Place it correctly and adjust until you find the right position.
- Cover your hairline
When you are done with the adjustments, check if your natural hair is visible from the wig. Make sure that you have positioned your wig well from the front, sides, and back. If the wig feels tight, adjust the Velcro and fit it until it feels comfortable.
What To Look For When Buying A Wig?
- Before choosing a wig, you need to identify your hair type. Wigs are available for curly, kinky, straight, wavy, and several other types of hair. Choose the wig that matches your personality and fulfills your needs.
- Color plays a very important role in shaping your face, and thus, it is important to choose a wig color that suits you. You can choose a wig matching the shade of your hair or a shade that complements your skin tone
- Length is another important thing you might want to consider. If it’s hot out there, you can choose short or medium length wigs while for fall and winter, you can choose long and sturdy wigs.
- If you choose a wig that doesn’t fit you properly, it will not work. Choose a wig of the right size. Check the measurements of the wig before you buy it so it can fit you comfortably.
- While purchasing a wig, also buy a cap that helps secure the wig. You can choose ones made using silk or lace cap.
Now, let us explore the 10 best wigs in the market!
Top 10 Wigs In The Market Right Now
1. Best Over All: Releek Brazilian Deep Wave Wet and Wavy Human Hair Wigs
If you like wavy hair, this wet and wavy natural looking wig with baby hair offers 150% density and has a lace frontal that provides a natural and fuller look. The wig is made using unprocessed Brazilian virgin hair and is cuticle aligned. Plus, you can also dye, perm, bleach, style, or highlight the wig. Thus, if you want a wig that provides a natural and voluminous look, this is worth a try! Take a look at this video to get more information on the product.
- Strong and durable weft
- The wig does not smell, shed, or get tangled
- Deep wave lace frontal wig with baby hair for a natural feel
- Made using 100% Brazilian human hair
- The wig strands are rigid and rough
2. Best For Cosplay: eNilecor Short Bob Hair Wigs 12″ Straight
Rock a bold look at the parties with this chunky pink pastel wig. It features a short bob haircut and sleek, beautiful bangs and is thus an excellent pick for Halloween and costume parties. The texture feels similar to human hair and is built on breathable rose net for a comfortable fit. You can trim or style this 12-inch long wig as per your style and flaunt the edgy look at parties. This video offers a more detailed explanation of the product.
- Great for cosplay and parties
- Feels soft and smooth to the touch
- Comes with two adjustment straps to position the wig comfortably
- Can be styled, trimmed, or curled
- Does not shed and lasts long
- The strands are thin on the top and back of the head
3. Best Voluminous Curly Wig: Netgo Women’s Green Mixed Black Wig
For those who prefer long and colorful hair, this voluminous wig with a blend of green and black is a great option. It is made using synthetic fiber and available in plenty of ombre shades. Ideal for cosplay, theme parties, and Halloween, this wig gives a stylish look and comfy fit. It is made using Japanese Kanekalon fibers that offer a smooth and natural look.
- Heat-resistant and high-quality curly wig
- Comes with an adjustable hook inside
- Can be easily permed or styled
- Requires little maintenance
- Sheds a little
- May not smell good
4. Best Skin-Friendly: Kalyss Women’s Black Color Short Bob Wig With Hair Bangs
What can be better than a wig that offers a natural look and can be easily styled just like your natural hair? This short bob wig with sleek bangs is perfect for everyday use. Say goodbye to bad hair days with this natural-looking wig that can also be styled and trimmed. If you are looking forward to getting a wig that nobody will be able to tell isn’t your natural hair, this one is the best pick! You may check this video for a better understanding of this product.
- Skin-friendly and high-density wig
- Breathable and open weft wig cap
- Comes with 21.5-22 inches circumference for a better fit
- Weather changes do not change its texture
- Feels thinner and less grafted in some areas
5. Best Blonde Wig: K’ryssma Fashion Ombre Blonde Glueless Lace Front Wig
This 22-inch long wig should be high up on your purchase list if you prefer long and ombre blonde wigs! It features a refreshing ombre blonde color and is styled to be super straight. This is a synthetic wig made using high-quality fibers. As a bonus, you get two wig caps with this wig so you can comfortably fit it on your head and rock this edgy look.
- The wig is heat-resistant up to 160 degrees, so you can curl or style it
- Lace front wig with 2.5 inches parting in front
- The wig cap comes with three combs and two adjustable straps
- Feels voluminous
- Runs bigger than the average scalp size
6. Best Chemical-Free Wig: Younsolo Body Wave Lace Front Wigs
This hair wig is a clear winner when it comes to offering a natural and polished look. It is made from 100% unprocessed virgin human hair and offers 130% density for a fuller look. Available in different sizes and color options, it allows you to create a natural hairline and make adjustments as you like. Also, with this extra-long wig, you can create different styles and try different looks without worrying about damage.
- Wig imitates the soft texture of human hair
- Does not get tangled easily
- Comes with two adjustment straps for better positioning
- The hair knots are lightly bleached for a natural look
- Chemical-free wig that does not smell bad
- Medium capsize that might not fit everyone
7. Best Shed-Resistant Wig: FUHSI Kanekalon Fiber 13×6 Inch Lace Front Wig
For the celebrity-inspired hairstyle, this is a lacy blonde wig you need to get your hands on! This wig is sure to jazz up your casual look without causing any discomfort. If you are struggling with hair thinning or hair loss, this natural-looking blonde wig, made using modacrylic hair, will not only add more volume to your hair but will also enhance your everyday look. The side-parted wig is an excellent pick if you often style and experiment with new hairstyles.
- Made using 100% kanekalon fiber
- Heat and shed-resistant
- You can customize the look with hair care products and styling products
- Comes with baby hair for a natural look
- Using a brush may shed some hair
8. Best For Black Hair Lovers: Jaja Hair Short Bob Lace Front Wig
This is a unique short bob lace wig designed especially for lovers of black hair! It features a sleek and short bob and comes with elastic straps and combs for better adjustment. The lace is medium brown and is made using high-quality breathable Swiss lace. Thus, if you want a sleek and short hair transformation, this wig is the perfect choice.
- Color is a true black
- Color does not fade after a few washes
- Made using unprocessed virgin hair
- The wig does not get tangled very easily
- You may find the cap uncomfortable or too large
9. Best Heat-Resistant Wig: BERON 14” Short Curly Synthetic Wig With Bangs
Whenever you feel like rocking a bold new look and do not want to dye or trim your hair, opt for this classy and feminine wig. It features synthetic, asymmetric pink strands with bangs. The bangs can be trimmed to your liking, and it comes with soft adjustable straps to fit well. This is a great pick for cosplay events, theme parties, or for trying out new looks.
- 14-inch long
- Made using heat-resistant synthetic fiber
- Built on breathable lace
- Comes with side ear parting
- It might shed
- Feels thin in some areas
10. Best For A Bold Look: QT HAIR Lace Front Wig with Baby Hair
If wearing long, loose waves is your thing, this pre-plucked Brazilian lace front wig will be your dream come true! It features black loose, layered waves that help give a natural look. This glueless wig also comes with adjustable straps and durable Swiss lace to make it long-lasting. It also offers up to 180% density, so you would not have any trouble hiding your natural hair and flaunting a selfie-ready voluminous look!
- Does not leave a foul smell
- Can be straightened, dyed, curled, or bleached
- Pre-plucked with baby hair for a natural hairline
- Strong and sturdy strands
- Sheds a little
Wigs are not only for covering blad patches but also for making a style statement. They are convenient to wear and can be styled as per your choice. Wigs are designed to match your hair texture to avoid looking unnatural. The wigs on our list are beginner-friendly and are made of synthetic fibers. They help you sport voluminous hair. They come with adjustable straps, are heat resistant, and are durable. So, now, you don’t have to worry about bad hair days or hair damage from hair styling at all. Just put on a wig, and you are good to go!
Did you find this post informative? Do let us know in the comments below!.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
The author of this article, Vaishnavi Kothuri, is a haircare aficionado who loves providing the latest haircare solutions without any hassle to her users. She has used her analytical and research skills to scour customer feedback online and assemble this list of the best wigs for beginners. This article provides a comprehensive guide to buying the right wigs along with them to wigs you can try. They are strong, durable, and can be styled according to your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are headband wigs good for beginners?
Yes, headband wigs are good for beginners since they do not require extra adhesive, and the wig remains secure around the head.
Do wigs damage the hair?
No. However, wearing wigs regularly can be damaging to your tresses. It may lead to thinning and baldness in certain sections of your scalp.
Do wigs fall off easily?
No, good-quality wigs do not fall off easily. Make sure that the wig is tightly secured with adhesive or headband.
How do you make a wig look like natural hair for beginners?
Apply dry shampoo to the wig to minimize its shine and make the synthetic strands look matte. Spraying dry shampoo will also make the wig appear lively. Make sure to line up your wig with your natural hairline and pluck a few strands from the center of the hairline to make it appear more blended.
How long should you wear a wig?
Wear a wig for six weeks at a time. If you want to open your wig every day, wear it not more than eight to ten hours to offer your scalp some rest.