13 Best Wigs For African American Women
No need to ruin your natural hair; wear these wigs and create unique hairstyles.
If you are bored with your natural hair color but don’t want to risk using chemical dyes on your hair, we have exactly what you need. Going for the best wigs for black hair helps you experiment with the most interesting looks without worrying about ruining your natural hair. If you have naturally dark hair and don’t want to bleach your hair for colors, choosing one of these 10 top-rated wigs will make you look distinct, and no one will be able to tell the difference. So, are you ready to enter a world where you can experiment with different kinds of wigs?
In This Article
Types Of Wigs
These wigs are typically thin and pigmented to match your skin tone and hence easily blend in. Given the skin-like material, it is easier to use tapes and adhesives on the wig. These wigs are suitable for those with total hair loss owing to medical conditions and treatment or natural hair loss.
How to take care of a polyurethane wig
- Gently remove the wig from your scalp and place it in an adhesive-removing solution.
- Allow the wig to soak in the solution, depending on the amount of adhesive used to stick it.
- Remove it from the solution and lay it in a sink face up.
- Using a teaspoon, gently scrape off any excess residue on the base and place it back into a solvent.
- After thoroughly rinsing the wig, use a mild shampoo to wash the hair and to maintain the acid level.
- Lastly, wipe the wig with alcohol, and it’s ready to be re-attached.
Mesh wigs are generally made from full lace and monofilament materials. These types of wigs, undoubtedly, are the most versatile ones out there. They can be styled as you please, be it an updo, tucked behind your ears, or parted in any spot, and provide an extremely natural look.
How to take care of a mesh wig
- Gently remove the wig from your scalp.
- Wipe away the adhesive using a warm, damp cloth. Rub specifically at the glue or tape gently.
- Dip a sponge in 99% isopropyl alcohol and rub it over any wig tape or glue bonds.
- In case of any stubborn spots, use another dab of alcohol or adhesive-removal spray.
- Scrub away any residue from the wig using a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Shampoo the entire wig with a mild shampoo.
- Do not forget to condition your lace wig.
A U-part wig is sewn on a U-part cap with clips and adjustable straps on the back. This wig gives you a chance to blend your hair via a specific opening at the top of the wig, making for a natural-looking hairline.
How to take care of a U-Part wig
- Thoroughly comb your wig when dry with a wide-tooth comb.
- Shampoo your U-part wig and rinse it under lukewarm water.
- Do not forget to use conditioner since shampoos can dry the hair out.
- Partially dry your wig by laying it on a towel.
- Once it is close to complete drying, apply a leave-in conditioner to help it retain its moisture.
- Finish drying it by clipping it to a hanger.
Open Wefted Wigs
One of the most common and basic wig caps, wefted wigs with machine-sewn hair on them. Having open wefts allows the scalp to breathe while the wig is worn. They are also the most affordable types of wigs.
How to take care of an Open Wefted Wig
- Detangle the wig before washing it.
- Wash it with warm water to remove any residue.
- Use mild baby shampoo or fibre conditioner.
- Rinse it, making sure it is free from any residual adhesive, shampoo, or conditioner.
- Pat dry using a towel.
- When dry, use a wide-tooth comb to detangle from the bottom to top.
With so many options to glam up your look, it can get confusing to choose the best one. But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! Here’s a list of 13 wigs best suited for you, right from Afro curls to long and layered wigs. Read on to pick the ones that deserve a place in your daily lives.
Top 13 Wigs For African-American Women
1. Glueless Wigs Deep Wave Lace Frontal Wigs Wet and Wave Wigs for Black Women
Nothing looks better than natural, virgin hair. And with human hair that is unprocessed, you can easily flaunt a natural look. Not just that, this glueless wig doesn’t require too much time to attach. With thick, beautiful curls, you’re sure to have all eyes on you. Get out there and flaunt your new hair! And one last surprise, this beautiful wig comes with a free spray bottle and 3D dramatic eyelashes.
- Unprocessed virgin human hair
- Easy to style
- No shedding
- Comes with a free spray bottle and 3D dramatic eyelashes
- Huge gaps between wefts
- The hairline is not pre-plucked
2. Joedir Lace Front Wigs 30” Long Wavy Synthetic Wig
You’re never fully dressed without donning a great hairstyle. Long and wavy black hair and just the perfect makeup, that’s all you need. And don’t worry about the hairline, this Joedir wig’s lace front provides you with a natural hairline. Its high-quality, heat-resistant synthetic fiber makes this wig easy to style. You can curl, perm, or straighten it without affecting its durability. Go ahead and style away!
- Soft hair
- Give you a natural and authentic look
- Lasting quality
- The wig cap can get uncomfortable
- Needs a few extra bobby pins to stay in place
3. Jessica Hair 13×6 Lace Front Human Hair Wig
If you asked us for cute wigs, we’d definitely recommend this one. Made with 100% human hair, this wig gives you the same look that your natural hair would. Having absolutely no chemical treatments done, this wig is long-lasting and can be dyed, straightened, permed, and styled as you want! With the right amount of bounce, this wig adds that element of oomph to your look.
- Natural virgin hair
- Silky, smooth texture
- Might get tangled and shed
- The wig can become dry after a few washes
4. Pizazz Human Hair Lace Front Wig
If you’re looking for long wigs to suit your African-American heritage, your search ends right here! Available between 10 inches to as long as 24 inches, this wig uses 100% virgin, human hair. Not only will it give you a beautiful, natural look but also it’s invisible, Swiss lace front makes it comfortable to wear. With its thick and high density, you’re definitely going to turn heads wherever you go.
- Unprocessed human hair
- Can be styled as desired
- Pre-plucked natural hairline
- Easily blends with your skin tone
- Uneven density
5. ELIM Short Curly Kinky Wig
Are you struggling to get the perfect wig? We have one right here! You can wear it to parties or wear it for everyday use, and fall in love with how you look each time you look in the mirror. No matter your skin tone, this wig is sure to blend with your complexion without making it seem #extra. Made with high-quality South Korean synthetic fiber, this wig will last you many seasons and many more hairstyles. Ladies, don’t think twice before adding this to your shopping cart!
- Bouncy curls
- Soft hair
- Holds firmly around the head
- Uneven curls
- Needs quite a bit of styling before use
6. Jaja Hair Short Bob Wigs
Your quest for short bob wigs ends here! Not only is it perfect for your daily beauty needs, but it is also made of natural human hair. You can dye it, perm it, curl it, or even bleach it all you like as nothing’s going to stop you from looking anything short of amazing.
- Glueless wig with elastic straps
- Soft hair
- Curls nicely with an iron
- Thin hair and unevenly cut
- Sheds a bit
7. Giannay Hair Curly Wig
Ladies, we love playing dress-up, don’t we? And with a wig like this, we can’t blame any of you for doing so. This top-quality wig uses high-density hair which allows it to be full and avoid any wefts from showing. Its adjustable straps make it easy to wear and adjust, while it holds firmly on the head. Want to style your everyday look or just amp up your hairdo for a party, you can do it all with this wig!
- Heat resistant fibre
- Lace is soft and pliable
- No shedding
- High density
- Tangles easily
- Parting the hair is not easy
8. CYNOSURE Lace Front Human Hair Wig
Who doesn’t love a girl with curls? With just the right curls and bounce, this wig can make you feel super confident and beautiful. Always sport a full hairdo with this wig as it is shedding-free and tangle-free. Go ahead, style and restyle this wig in multiple ways without being disappointed even once. Don’t hold back, get yourself these beautiful tresses!
- No shedding
- Beautiful, full curls
- Adjustable straps are strong and sturdy
- Thin hair
- Difficult to detangle
9. Andrai Hair Short Bob Lace Front Wigs For Black Women
If you’re looking for a short, wavy-haired wig, this one’s for you! A glueless wig, its adjustable straps make it easy to wear and reduce post-use care. Made from heat-resistant fibre, this wig can be styled using a curling or straightening iron. Not only does it give you a natural look, but its high-quality Swiss lace ensures a comfortable fit.
- Easy to style
- Gives a natural look
- Good density of hair
- Shiny texture can look unnatural
- Curls get tangled and frizzy
10. BeiSD Short Mixed Blue Black Hair Wig
Have you always wanted to rock the pixie cut? Then this one’s just the right wig for you. A mix of fun and wild, this blue-black wig will easily transform your entire look. This stylish wig is made from high-quality synthetic fibre that looks very close to natural human hair. It’s durable, easy to wear and style, stylish, and it looks natural. Go crazy with your hair and while you’re at it, grab one too many eyeballs!
- Easy to wear and style
- Thin hair
- Excessive shedding
11. Ucrown Hair Lace Front Wig
This wig is what your lush hair dreams are made of! A shedding and tangle-free unit, get the most natural-looking hair with this wig. The lace front construction makes sure that the wig naturally blends in with your skin tone. Made using 100% unprocessed human hair, strut around with your new smooth and silky long hair, styling the hair like you would your own!
- Good quality lace front wig
- Easy to style
- Minimal shedding
- Poor density hair
- Does not work well with color
12. AISI QUEENS Kinky Curly Wig
Why stick to just one hairstyle when you can add a new dimension to your hairdo with this amazing Afro wig? Made from high-quality Japanese heat-resistant synthetic fiber, this wig can be used repeatedly over a long period of time. Despite not being made from natural hair, the wig looks natural. Experiment with your hair and amplify your style with a few quick fixes here and there.
- Sits perfectly without clips
- Has great bounce and volume
- Soft curls
- Itchy base for sensitive scalp
- Hair turns frizzy
13. Style Icon 6′ Short Dreadlock Wig
What if you could get dreadlocks without having to go through all of that hard work? With its fluffy layers, get the volume that you desire each time you move. A perfect wig for African-American women, your hair can now be pulled back in a ponytail or styled with bobby pins. Much like natural hair, this synthetic fibre has a natural shine and bounce to it. This easy-to-wear wig sure does not tangle and is a long-lasting unit.
- It blends well with any skin tone
- Gives a natural look
- It is soft and lightweight
- Small wig cap
- Bulky wig, difficult to part
The market is filled with a plethora of options when it comes to wigs for African American women. But the world of wigs can be confusing if you have never bought or worn one. There are a few factors to consider while picking the best wigs for African American women. Check them out below!
How To Select The Best Wigs For African American Women
- Wig Hair Type
Consider the hair type, human hair or synthetic hair, when choosing a wig. Human hair wigs appear most natural, have soft texture, and shine as they come from real human donors and can last up to 2 years. They can be heat styled and chemically treated too. However, they are slightly expensive than synthetic.
On the other hand, synthetic wigs are pre-styled and hold the style for 4 to 6 months with proper care. They are available in broader option with color, texture, and style; moreover, they are affordable, but do not withstand any type of heat styling. Synthetic wigs look cheaper and are much less durable when compared to human hair. If budget is your main concern, then go for synthetic hair wig, else human hair wig is a great choice for natural-looking and durable option.
There are four common textures of wigs that you can pick from:
- Straight & Smooth: For a sleek and silky look
- Wavy: For loose curls.and beach waves
- Curly: Ranges between loose curls to tight ringlets.
- Afro Kinky: Tightly coiled or kinky with the tightest Z- or O-shaped kink patterns
- Colors And Length
There are a wide range of colors like black, browns, auburn, copper, honey blondes, and more. When it comes to length, you can wear any length, it is important to choose one that accentuates your facial features. For beginners, it is best to start with long length of 12 inches as it will allow you to understand how to manage a wig. Once habituated, switch to any length of short and sleek, bob, or shoulder-length.
Pick a wig after ensuring the capsize so that it fits better and is not too loose/tight. Most capsizes come in ultra-petite, petite, average/petite, average, average/large, and large sizes. Measure the area around your head following the hairline; this is the circumference of the wig. Here is a quick size chart to pick the right one, but beware, this may vary slightly from brand to brand.
- Ultra petite: 19 inches
- Petite: 21 inches
- Petite/average: 21.5 inches
- Average: 22 inches
- Average large: 22.5 inches
- Large: 23 inches
Don’t stress when it comes to your tresses! Your hair is one of the most important accessories to complete your look; you can sport a cool pixie cut, a quirky bob cut, strut around with bouncy curls, or just show off your long hair. Your hair is a part of who you are and your personality. With all these wigs, experiment with your looks and make each of your appearances memorable. Get out there, girl, and make every hair flip count!
Did you find this post on best wigs for African American women helpful in your quest for beautiful wigs? Do let us know in the comments below.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
The author of this article, Vaishnavi Kothuri, is a hair care enthusiast who loves to share her knowledge about hair products with her readers. After sifting through multiple product reviews and user experiences, she listed the best wigs for black hair. She selected these products after considering factors like quality, styling, and maintenance. These wigs for black hair will make you look distinct, and no one will be able to tell the difference.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it bad to wear a wig every day?
No. It is not bad to wear a wig every day as long as you take proper care of your scalp. Wash your hair at regular intervals; moisturize and nourish the scalp with oil. Avoid wearing wigs on damp hair as it can cause fungal infections resulting in hair fall.
Why do black women wear wigs instead of growing long hair?
Black hair is coily. It curls up as it growths and doesn’t show much length. Plus, since black hair is dry and is washed only once in 10-14 days, black women wear wigs to protect their natural hair from the elements.
What kind of wig is the best for beginners?
Closure wigs are the best for beginners as they are easier to wear.
Is wearing a wig good for hair growth?
No, wearing a wig will not promote or hinder hair growth.
How often should I wash my wig?
How often you wash your wig depends on how often you wear it, what styling products you use, and your lifestyle. Generally speaking, wash your wigs once in three weeks or a maximum of once in six to eight weeks. This will prevent the accumulation of sweat and dirt caused due styling. It improves the longevity of the wig.
- Best Wigs For Women
- Best Headband Wigs
- Drop Dead Gorgeous Dreadlock Wigs You Need
- Best Wigs For Round Faces