Wigs are becoming more and more popular with each passing day, making women all over the world include them in their beauty and hair regime. You want long, straight hair today? Put the wig on. You want a short, curled-up bob? There’s a wig for that too. Easily change your daily, monotonous hairstyles without damaging your hair; invest in one, two, or even 10 wigs, who knows!
There are four types of wigs, namely polyurethane, mesh (lace and monofilament), U-Part, and open wefted wigs. In this post, we will understand more about them and also share with you, the 13 best wigs in the market right now.
Read on to know more!
Types Of Wigs
These wigs are typically thin and pigmented to match your skin tone and hence easily blend in. Given the skin-like material, it is easier to use tapes and adhesives on the wig. These wigs are suitable for those with total hair loss owing to medical conditions and treatment or natural hair loss.
How to take care of a polyurethane wig
- Gently remove the wig from your scalp and place it in an adhesive-removing solution.
- Allow the wig to soak in the solution, depending on the amount of adhesive used to stick it.
- Remove it from the solution and lay it in a sink face up.
- Using a teaspoon, gently scrape off any excess residue on the base and place it back into a solvent.
- After thoroughly rinsing the wig, use a mild shampoo to wash the hair and to maintain the acid level.
- Lastly, wipe the wig with alcohol, and it’s ready to be re-attached.
Mesh wigs are generally made from full lace and monofilament materials. These types of wigs, undoubtedly, are the most versatile ones out there. They can be styled as you please, be it an updo, tucked behind your ears, or parted in any spot, and provide an extremely natural look.
How to take care of a mesh wig
- Gently remove the wig from your scalp.
- Wipe away the adhesive using a warm, damp cloth. Rub specifically at the glue or tape gently.
- Dip a sponge in 99% isopropyl alcohol and rub it over any wig tape or glue bonds.
- In case of any stubborn spots, use another dab of alcohol or adhesive-removal spray.
- Scrub away any residue from the wig using a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Shampoo the entire wig with a mild shampoo.
- Do not forget to condition your lace wig.
A U-part wig is sewn on a U-part cap with clips and adjustable straps on the back. This wig gives you a chance to blend your hair via a specific opening at the top of the wig, making for a natural-looking hairline.
How to take care of a U-Part wig
- Thoroughly comb your wig when dry with a wide-tooth comb.
- Shampoo your U-part wig and rinse it under lukewarm water.
- Do not forget to use conditioner since shampoos can dry the hair out.
- Partially dry your wig by laying it on a towel.
- Once it is close to complete drying, apply a leave-in conditioner to help it retain its moisture.
- Finish drying it by clipping it to a hanger.
Open Wefted Wigs
One of the most common and basic wig caps, wefted wigs with machine-sewn hair on them. Having open wefts allows the scalp to breathe while the wig is worn. They are also the most affordable types of wigs.
How to take care of an Open Wefted Wig
- Detangle the wig before washing it.
- Wash it with warm water to remove any residue.
- Use mild baby shampoo or fibre conditioner.
- Rinse it, making sure it is free from any residual adhesive, shampoo, or conditioner.
- Pat dry using a towel.
- When dry, use a wide-tooth comb to detangle from the bottom to top.
With so many options to glam up your look, it can get confusing to choose the best one. But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! Here’s a list of 13 wigs best suited for you, right from Afro curls to long and layered wigs. Read on to pick the ones that deserve a place in your daily lives.
Top 13 Wigs For African-American Women
Nothing looks better than natural, virgin hair. And with human hair that is unprocessed, you can easily flaunt a natural look. Not just that, this glueless wig doesn’t require too much time to attach. With thick, beautiful curls, you’re sure to have all eyes on you. Get out there and flaunt your new hair! And one last surprise, this beautiful wig comes with a free spray bottle and 3D dramatic eyelashes.
- Unprocessed virgin human hair
- Easy to style
- No shedding
- Comes with a free spray bottle and 3D dramatic eyelashes
- Huge gaps between wefts
- The hairline is not pre-plucked
You’re never fully dressed without donning a great hairstyle. Long and wavy black hair and just the perfect makeup, that’s all you need. And don’t worry about the hairline, this Joedir wig’s lace front provides you with a natural hairline. Its high-quality, heat-resistant synthetic fiber makes this wig easy to style. You can curl, perm, or straighten it without affecting its durability. Go ahead and style away!
- Soft hair
- Give you a natural and authentic look
- Lasting quality
- The wig cap can get uncomfortable
- Needs a few extra bobby pins to stay in place
If you asked us for cute wigs, we’d definitely recommend this one. Made with 100% human hair, this wig gives you the same look that your natural hair would. Having absolutely no chemical treatments done, this wig is long-lasting and can be dyed, straightened, permed, and styled as you want! With the right amount of bounce, this wig adds that element of oomph to your look.
- Natural virgin hair
- Silky, smooth texture
- Might get tangled and shed
- The wig can become dry after a few washes
If you’re looking for long wigs to suit your African-American heritage, your search ends right here! Available between 10 inches to as long as 24 inches, this wig uses 100% virgin, human hair. Not only will it give you a beautiful, natural look but also its invisible, Swiss lace front makes it comfortable to wear. With its thick and high-density, you’re definitely going to turn heads wherever you go.
- Unprocessed human hair
- Can be styled as desired
- Pre-plucked natural hairline
- Easily blends with your skin tone
- Uneven density
Are you struggling to get the perfect wig? We have one right here! You can wear it to parties or wear it for everyday use, and fall in love with how you look each time you look in the mirror. No matter your skin tone, this wig is sure to blend with your complexion without making it seem #extra. Made with high-quality South Korean synthetic fiber, this wig will last you many seasons and many more hairstyles. Ladies, don’t think twice before adding this to your shopping cart!
- Bouncy curls
- Soft hair
- Holds firmly around the head
- Uneven curls
- Needs quite a bit of styling before use
Your quest for short bob wigs for ends here! Not only is it perfect for your daily beauty needs, but it is also made of natural human hair. You can dye it, perm it, curl it, or even bleach it all you like as nothing’s going to stop you from looking anything short of amazing.
- Glueless wig with elastic straps
- Soft hair
- Curls nicely with an iron
- Thin hair and unevenly cut
- Sheds a bit
Ladies, we love playing dress-up, don’t we? And with a wig like this, we can’t blame any of you for doing so. This top-quality wig uses high-density hair which allows it to be full and avoid any wefts from showing. Its adjustable straps make it easy to wear and adjust, while it holds firmly on the head. Want to style your everyday look or just amp up your hairdo for a party, you can do it all with this wig!
- Heat resistant fibre
- Lace is soft and pliable
- No shedding
- High density
- Tangles easily
- Parting the hair is not easy
Who doesn’t love a girl with curls? With just the right curls and bounce, this wig can make you feel super confident and beautiful. Always sport a full hairdo with this wig as it is shedding-free and tangle-free. Go ahead, style and restyle this wig in multiple ways without being disappointed even once. Don’t hold back, get yourself these beautiful tresses!
- No shedding
- Beautiful, full curls
- Adjustable straps are strong and sturdy
- Thin hair
- Difficult to detangle
If you’re looking for a short, wavy-haired wig, this one’s for you! A glueless wig, its adjustable straps make it easy to wear and reduce post-use care. Made from heat-resistant fibre, this wig can be styled using a curling or straightening iron. Not only does it give you a natural look, but its high-quality Swiss lace ensures a comfortable fit.
- Easy to style
- Gives a natural look
- Good density of hair
- Shiny texture can look unnatural
- Curls get tangled and frizzy
Have you always wanted to rock the pixie cut? Then this one’s just the right wig for you. A mix of fun and wild, this blue-black wig will easily transform your entire look. This stylish wig is made from high-quality synthetic fibre that looks very close to natural human hair. It’s durable, easy to wear and style, stylish, and it looks natural. Go crazy with your hair and while you’re at it, grab one too many eyeballs!
- Easy to wear and style
- Thin hair
- Excessive shedding
This wig is what your lush hair dreams are made of! A shedding and tangle-free unit, get the most natural-looking hair with this wig. The lace front construction makes sure that the wig naturally blends in with your skin tone. Made using 100% unprocessed human hair, strut around with your new smooth and silky long hair, styling the hair like you would your own!
- Good quality lace front wig
- Easy to style
- Minimal shedding
- Poor density hair
- Does not work well with color
Why stick to just one hairstyle when you can add a new dimension to your hairdo with this amazing Afro wig? Made from high-quality Japanese heat-resistant synthetic fiber, this wig can be used repeatedly over a long period of time. Despite not being made from natural hair, the wig looks natural. Experiment with your hair and amplify your style with a few quick fixes here and there.
- Sits perfectly without clips
- Has great bounce and volume
- Soft curls
- Itchy base for sensitive scalp
- Hair turns frizzy
What if you could get dreadlocks without having to go through all of that hard work? With its fluffy layers, get the volume that you desire each time you move. A perfect wig for African-American women, your hair can now be pulled back in a ponytail or styled with bobby pins. Much like natural hair, this synthetic fibre has a natural shine and bounce to it. This easy-to-wear wig sure does not tangle and is a long-lasting unit.
- It blends well with any skin tone
- Gives a natural look
- It is soft and lightweight
- Small wig cap
- Bulky wig, difficult to part
Don’t stress when it comes to your tresses! Your hair is one of the most important accessories to complete your look; you can sport a cool pixie cut, a quirky bob cut, strut around with bouncy curls, or just show off your long hair. Your hair is a part of who you are and your personality. With all these wigs, experiment with your looks and make each of your appearances memorable. Get out there, girl, and make every hair flip count!
Did you find this post helpful in your quest for beautiful wigs? Do let us know in the comments below.
Latest posts by Atulya Satishkumar (see all)
- 11 Best Exfoliating Pads Of 2020 - March 1, 2021
- 13 Best Vegan Blushes To One-Up Your Makeup Game With Buying Guide - December 3, 2020
- 9 Best Wave Hair Brushes You Definitely Need - November 3, 2020
- Beautify Your Eyes With The 11 Best tarte Eyeshadow Palettes Of 2020! - October 30, 2020
- 9 Best Anastasia Palettes That Will Look Good On Your Eyes This 2020 - October 28, 2020