From fitness issues to medical conditions, yoga has something for everyone. So, you may wonder if there are any poses that can help you overcome eating disorders. Well, yes, there are! What are they? And how can one perform them? This post has everything you need to know about yoga and eating disorders.
Read on and find out about these simple, yet amazing poses in yoga for eating disorders.
1. Plow Pose (Halasana):
The plow pose or halasana is a popular yoga pose, which helps solve digestive problems and enhances your appetite. It is one of the asanas that help you overcome eating disorders.
Steps For Halasana:
- Lie down on your back.
- Raise your legs above your stomach.
- Keep extending your legs and try to touch the ground just beyond your shoulders with your toes.
- Hold this position for 10-15 seconds.
- To make it easier, consider bending your knees when you fold your legs over your head. (1)
2. Bow Pose (Dhanurasana):
This pose has many uses; it helps solve back problems, increases oxygenation, and clears cold and congestion. The Bow pose also helps cure eating disorders.
Steps For Dhanurasana:
- Lie down on your stomach, with your legs together and hands on the sides.
- Now begin folding your legs at the knees and try and get them as close to the thigh as possible.
- Ensure that your knees remain together.
- Try and grab onto the toes of both of your legs with the thumbs and forefinger of your hands.
- Once you are holding your toes securely, raise your legs, head and chest at the same time.
- Pull your legs towards your ears.
- Fix your gaze ahead and hold the position until you feel a stretch. (2)
3. Headstand Pose (Sirsasana):
Also known as the king of all yoga poses, the sirsasana is quite difficult to perform, but the benefits of performing this asana far outweigh the difficulty of doing so. It helps solve many problems like indigestion, constipation and even helps you overcome eating disorders.
Steps For Sirsasana:
- Create a finger lock with your hands.
- Make a triangle using the finger lock and your elbows.
- Keep this pose of your fingers and elbows intact, and use it to balance yourself upside down.
- Now proceed to straighten your legs.
- Begin bringing your legs towards your neck.
- Your sole will leave the ground, and your thighs will touch the abdomen.
- Keep your balance and straighten your legs till the knees.
- Checking your balance, straighten your knees and put your weight on your head.
- Hold the position for 15-20 seconds.
- Get back to the starting position gradually. (3)
4. Mountain Pose (Tadasana):
Though it sounds tough, this pose is one of the easiest pose in yoga for eating disorders. This is a great exercise for beginning almost all routines and has proven benefits for combating depression, anxiety, providing energy, improving body balance and even helping you overcome eating disorders.
[ Read: 3 Day Diet Plan ]
Steps For Tadasana:
- Begin by standing upright on your yoga mat.
- Your feet should be slightly apart, and your heels should touch each other.
- Keep your soles grounded and your hands on your sides.
- Gaze forward and hold the position for 3-5 minutes, until you begin to feel fatigued.
- Rest and repeat thrice. (4)
5. Pigeon Pose (Kapotasana):
The pigeon pose helps improve your chest strength while exercising most of the muscle groups in your body. It helps improve leg strength, loosens tight hip flexors and tones thighs. Most importantly, Kapotasana helps you overcome eating disorders and boosts appetite.
Steps For Kapotasana:
- Kneel down on the ground to begin.
- Stretch your right leg behind you.
- Keep stretching it until your left knee and left foot are next to your right hip.
- Ensure that your toes remain pointed.
- Lean forward and push your chest outwards, while inhaling deeply.
- Hold the pose until you feel a stretch in your back.
- Alternate with the other foot and repeat. (5)
Perform these poses and overcome eating disorders like anorexia, bulimia among others. Have you ever tried yoga for eating disorder recovery? Inspire others to stay inspired; share your stories with fellow readers today. Please tell us your experiences by commenting in the box below!
- Top 10 Yoga Asanas For Treating Osteoporosis
- 3 Baba Ramdev Yoga Asanas To Treat Asthma
- 5 Best Yoga Asanas To Treat Groin Pain
- 4 Best Yoga Poses To Cure Headache
- 10 Yoga Poses To Help You Treat Cold
Latest posts by Ameya C (see all)
- 8 Facts About Washing Hands That You Don’t Want To Ignore - February 23, 2016
- 5 Amazing Benefits Of Castor Oil Bath - June 12, 2015
- What Is Reverse Prayer Yoga And What Are Its Benefits? - May 5, 2015
- Is Garam Masala Good For Health? - April 29, 2015
- 7 Amazing Benefits Of Gardenia Essential Oil - April 29, 2015