If you are a person who does a lot of exercising and yoga, you are sure to be using your yoga mat every time. Whether you are at the gym or home, and no matter the temperature of the room, you will be drenched in sweat and dripping all over your mat. So, it is very important that you keep your mat clean. And to do that, you need the best natural yoga mat cleaners.
Choosing an unknown brand could do more harm to your mat than cleaning. They might have chemicals that might have an adverse effect on your health. So, to avoid such incidents, we have made a list of the 13 best yoga mat cleaners that are sure to keep your mat and you healthy.
Table Of Contents
13 Best Yoga Mats You Need In 2020
Your mat deserves the best care and so do you. Asutra’s Yoga Mat Detox is made from all-natural ingredients. It lets you clean your mat and props without leaving any slippery residues. It not only cleanses your mat, but it also gives a refreshing feel to it. These biodegradable cleaning wipes are made with a blend of natural castile soap and lemongrass essential oil to give your mats a refreshing scent. The ingredients are safe enough to be used on any type of yoga mat or props without damaging them.
- Parabens, phosphates, and bleach free
- It is ideal for sensitive skin.
- It keeps your mat germ-free.
- It is 100% devoid of all toxic chemicals.
- The fragrance might be too strong.
If you are someone who takes cleanliness seriously, then this is the one for you. Vapor Fresh is a leading sports equipment odor eliminator and a trusted brand by many professional equipment managers. The formula is made from naturally-derived ingredients and a blend of four essential oils and gentle surfactants. It is the perfect choice to clean your sports equipment like yoga mats, shoes, gym equipment, gloves, and pads, just to name a few.
- It does not contain any artificial fragrances, ammonia, or any other harsh chemicals.
- The strong formula removes any strong odor and leaves back an energizing scent.
- No slippery, sticky, or irritating residues are left behind.
- The scent might stay for a long time.
You have yoga to cleanse your mind, but you need something to cleanse your yoga mat too. Mind Over Lather Natural Yoga Mat Cleaning Spray is your go-to option for your mat maintenance needs. The scent features refreshing lavender mint scent, which is one of the most used fragrances. The key ingredients used are distilled water and witch hazel that are combined with essential oils including mint, eucalyptus, and tea tree oil. The therapeutic properties of the formula alleviate your yoga experience.
- Alcohol-free and non-toxic
- Easy-to-use; just spray on and wipe clean
- You can use it on gym equipment as well.
- You can use it on all types of yoga mats and sweat towels.
- The nozzle lets out a very small amount of cleanser.
Wipex is a leading manufacturer of wet wipes. These large 7×7-inch wipes are multi-purpose cleaners, and can be used for personal use or on gym equipment like yoga mats. They are made from natural ingredients like vinegar and lavender essential oils. The solution is extremely safe and does not leave any harmful ingredients behind.. They are extremely easy to use which helps you to clean your equipment with just a few swipes. You can even use them to wipe the sweat off your face.
- Free from bleach, quat, and ammonia
- The set comes in a travel-friendly canister with 75 wipes.
- You can use them to clean household equipment as well.
- You might have to use more than one wipe to get the job done.
These wipes are specifically designed to make the cleaning process easy and more effective. Not only do they keep the mat clean but also eliminates all sweat and dirt to provide maximum cleanliness. They are ideal for cleaning rubber yoga mats. These yoga mat wipes are a mix of natural ingredients such as natural enzymes, water, and fresh white lavender scent. If you have pets that chew on everything, you can rest easy as this formula is free of tea tree oil which can be harmful to them.
- They are biodegradable and non-toxic.
- The containers consist of 30 biodegradable wipes.
- It has a relaxing lavender scent.
- It might leave your mat a bit slippery.
Made in the USA, Gaiam Yoga Mat Cleaner Spray is a USDA-certified organic mat cleaner. It is made from 100% all-natural and organic oils. It removes sweat, dirt, and all other impurities with ease. The formula is made from tea-tree extracts and natural oil blends. It will not damage the yoga mat fibers or remove its stickiness. It is super important that you keep your mat clean, and what better way to do that than using this organic mat cleaner?
- It comes in a handy 4-ounce spray bottle.
- It has antiseptic, antibacterial, and moisturizing properties.
- It helps in getting rid of any germs or odor from the mat.
- You might have to spray a few extra times while cleaning.
Clean any kind of workout mats with Muse Bath Apothecary Yoga Mat Cleaner. It is a plant-based formula that is infused with eucalyptus mint essential oils. It has an aromatherapeutic property that is derived from its blend of natural fragrances and essential oils. They help in reviving and deodorizing dirty and stale smelling mats to enhance your yoga practice experience. With your safety in mind, it is free of any harmful chemicals that might have an effect on your skin.
- Vegan, paraben, and EDTA free
- Certified by Leaping Bunny as cruelty-free
- It works on props and fitness equipment as well.
- It might have a strong smell.
This non-toxic cleaning formula is made with saponified organic oils of coconut, olive, and jojoba. Additionally, it is blended with essential oils of geranium, bergamot, and rosemary for a rejuvenating sensation. You can use it on any type of yoga mats, blocks, straps, or any other yoga equipment that require thorough cleaning. They do not use any kind of alcohol which might deter the longevity of the yoga mat. It is highly recommended that you use it with Luna Aromatherapy Spray for an aromatherapy effect.
- Cruelty-free and 100% biodegradable
- It comes with a Yogi Microfiber Cleaning Towel.
- It gets rid of sweat, dirt, dust, and all other unwanted grime.
- The liquid might get absorbed into the mat.
It is not every day that you come across a mat cleaner that works effectively on both skin and mat, isn’t it? That is why we bring you Jasmine Seven Mat and Body Yoga Wipes. It has the natural cleansing properties of tea tree oil and the soothing fragrance of lavender with other natural ingredients like Aloe and Vitamin E. Combined together they keep your carpet as clean as a whistle, all while emitting a relaxing aura.
- Free from parabens, phthalates, and synthetic fragrances
- 45 wipes in the re-sealable container
- Ideal for studio and spa
- The wipes are prone to tearing.
You are looking after yourself by practicing yoga, but who is looking after your yoga mat? It needs proper maintenance too. Treeborn, with the help of their experts and high-quality ingredients, have produced this amazing yoga mat cleanser that is sure to gain your trust. It features a French Lavender oil spray that is as safe and gentle on your skin as it is on your mat. It has the right amount of tea tree oil to control the odor of the mat without overpowering the lavender fragrance. It leaves your carpet with a therapeutically soothing fresh scent.
- It does not leave any sticky or slippery residue behind.
- It is free from soap, fatty oils, and harsh scents.
- It can be used as fitness wipes as well.
- It comes in a 16-ounce bottle to prevent the usage of plastics.
- Might have to use extra quantity to get rid of stubborn stains.
This mat cleaner from Vermont Soap is one of the safest and most effective ways to restore your workout mats. It is a super mild formula made with castile soap essence to work on all water-safe surfaces like chairs, cushions, and pilates accouterments. It is a vegetable oil based surfactant combined with botanicals that are safe for sensitive skin types. It is the best choice of cleanser for TPE Eco-friendly yoga mats. Detoxing your yoga mat has never been this easy.
- Non-toxic and hypoallergenic
- It is made from certified organic materials and is USDA-approved.
- It does not include any type of artificial colors or fragrances.
- The sprayer might be flimsy.
Soap and water are not enough to keep your yoga mat clean. You need something stronger and something that is specialized in handling that kind of stain and odor. So, we ask you to try out the Organic Yoga Mat Cleaner from Manduka. It is a biodegradable, vinegar-based cleanser mixed with essential oils and is designed to eliminate stains and restore your mat to its natural state. It can be used every day for deep cleaning purposes.
- The Manduka Yoga Mat Cleaner bottles are recyclable.
- It is a water-based cleanser that leaves no residue behind.
- The mat stays fresh even after intense sessions.
- The scent of vinegar might be overpowering.
Stinky mat is one of the main reasons that repel you from working out. Sumi Eco’s Yoga Mat Cleaner is specially formulated using purified water and essential oil. The scent has natural herbs that help in relieving your mat from all kinds of dirt and unpleasant odors. It features a fresh lavender scent with aromatherapy properties to keep you energized. All you need to do is spray it on a cloth and scrub lightly.
- It uses natural and non-toxic materials.
- The kit includes a free microfiber cleaning towel.
- It does not leave any slippery residues after cleaning.
- The smell might be too strong for some.
There you go! That was our list of the best yoga mat cleaners that you should be looking at. But, we are not going to just leave you with the list, we are going to tell you the simplest and the most effective way to clean your yoga mat. Continue reading.
Deep Cleaning Yoga Mats – A How-To Guide
Cleaning a yoga mat regularly is a must, so here is an easy and effective way to clean your mat:
- Roll out your mat on the floor.
- Spray the cleaner all over the mat.
- Let it soak for 3 minutes.
- Lather it up with a cloth and rinse.
- Use a clean cloth to wipe dry it.
- Repeat the previous steps if needed.
- Allow the mat to now air dry itself. You can dry it out in the sun too, but make sure it is not under direct sunlight for too long.
Expert’s Answers for Readers Questions
How often should you clean a yoga mat?
It is suggested that you clean it after every yoga/workout session.
Can I use Clorox wipes on my yoga mat?
It is not recommended to use Clorox wipes to clean yoga mats as they contain harsh chemicals that might harm the mat.
Can I use vinegar to clean my yoga mat?
Yes, you can use vinegar to clean the carpet. Wipex Gym & Fitness Equipment Wipes has vinegar that helps you keep your mat extremely clean.
Can I clean my yoga mat with alcohol?
It is not a good idea to use alcohol or other diluted bleach products because they could break down or make the mat dry.
Can a yoga mat go in the washing machine?
Not all mats are machine-washable. If your yoga mat is washing machine-friendly, then you can put it in the machine.
Yoga mats give you a comfortable surface to practice on, and we believe you should return the care to your mat too. With the help of these amazing products from our list, we are sure that your mat will be clean all while you receive a refreshing and energizing feel. So, go ahead and buy the one that you think is the right one.
Latest posts by Chaitra Krishnan (see all)
- 10 Best Sulfate-Free Dandruff Shampoos of 2020 – Our Top Choices! - October 20, 2020
- 15 Best Hair Dryers in India For Your Gorgeous Tresses! - October 13, 2020
- 8 Best MAC Concealers of 2020 To Eliminate Dark Spots! - October 12, 2020
- 8 Best Bronzers For Mature Skin Women 2020 - October 12, 2020
- 10 Best NYX Mascaras Of 2020 Reviews - October 12, 2020