Here’s the thing, ladies: stretch marks are completely normal. No matter how you get your stretch marks, they tell a story about you, and that in itself is reason enough to embrace them. Yet, a lot of us tend to worry about developing stretch marks at some point in our lives because we’re only human. Once pregnancy rolls around, there is no escaping the inevitable – your skin will pull and stretch to accommodate the miracle of life and leave behind marks in its wake. So, its no wonder that when Bio-Oil came around, it took the skincare world by storm. With its breakthrough ingredient PurCellin oil, Bio-Oil promises to reduce scars, stretch marks, uneven skin tone, aging skin, and dehydrated skin. Tall promises, if you ask me. But it appears that this product actually works.
Read on to find out more.
Bio-Oil Review | Is It Really Effective?
Paraffinum Liquidum, Triisononanoin, Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate, Retinyl Palmitate, Sunflower seed oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Chamomile flower oil, Lavender oil, Rosemary leaf oil, Marigold oil, Wild Soybean oil, BHT, Bisabolol, Parfum, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Amyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Salicylate, Coumarin, Isopropyl Myristate, Eugenol, Farnesol, Geraniol, Citronellol, Hydroxycitronellal, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Linalool, CI 26100.
Now, let’s look at all the good things contained in Bio-Oil:
- Rosemary oil has been found to reduce inflammation and facilitate the healing of micro wounds. This means it’s great for minimizing scars!
- Chamomile oil is excellent for evening out your skin tone and other pigmentation issues.
- Lavender oil works as an antioxidant and is known to reduce skin damage.
- Calendula oil is the main moisturizing agent in Bio-Oil and is great for dry skin.
- Vitamin A and Vitamin E work wonders as antioxidants.
Much like any other skin care product, a bottle of Bio-Oil comes in a white cardboard box that also houses the instruction manual. I particularly loved this manual because it has diagrams that show you exactly how to apply this oil. The bottle itself is a pretty basic transparent bottle with a white screw-on cap. The opening of the bottle is covered with another white cap that has a small hole in its center – perfect for a klutz like me who would probably topple all the oil out within 0.25 seconds of opening the bottle. Whoa, also a strange thing about this product is that though it has an orange tint when in the bottle, it is completely transparent when you pour it out. Which is great because that way you won’t stain your clothes. Lastly, if you get the small 60 ml bottle, you can travel with it in your handbag without any worries because it Is under the TSA liquids allowance limit and also the packaging is pretty sturdy and leak-proof.
All You Need To Know About Bio-Oil
I think it is important to preface the benefits of Bio-Oil by mentioning that the company itself does not claim that it can entirely remove or make any scars or stretch marks vanish altogether. It merely reduces their appearance.
How To Use Bio Oil?
- Rub a couple of drops of Bio-Oil between your fingers.
- Massage the Bio-Oil into the affected area. Make sure you massage in a circular motion.
- Do this twice daily for at least three months to see effective results.
Now that that’s out of the way, let’s look at all the wholesome goodness this product has to offer:
(i) Bio-Oil For Pregnancy Stretch Marks
Pregnant women around the world swear by the effect of Bio-Oil on their stretch marks, and so does my sister. She started using Bio-Oil immediately after her delivery and has found that her stretch marks have faded considerably. Her only regret is that she did not begin using Bio-Oil during her pregnancy because then her stretch marks would have been even lighter now.
(ii) Bio-Oil For Scars
First things first, and I cannot stress this enough, do not apply Bio-Oil on an open wound, thinking it will prevent it from scarring. That is just an infection waiting to happen. Now, on to the main point – the company itself claims that it can never altogether remove a scar, just reduce its appearance. After continuous usage over a month, I did notice that a burn mark and some of my chicken pox scars and acne scars had lightened considerably. So, yay!
(iii) Bio-Oil For Uneven Skin Tone
The only areas I noticed where my skin tone had slightly evened out after using Bio-Oil were under my eyes. I could not find much of a difference anywhere else on my face or body.
(iv) Bio-Oil For Aging Skin
Bio-Oil works to reduce wrinkles by improving the collagen and elastin content in your skin. My mum swears by its anti-aging properties and religiously applies it to her face twice a day.
(v) Bio-Oil For Dry Skin
The essential oils in Bio-Oil (like lavender, chamomile, and marigold) work wonders to moisturize your skin and leave it soft and supple. My skin seemed so much softer and healthier within a week of starting my Bio-Oil treatment. It has also managed to give my skin a dewy glow, which, of course, I’m a huge fan of.
- The oil has a light texture that gets absorbed into your skin quickly and does not leave it feeling greasy.
- Delivers on its promise of reducing scars and stretch marks.
- Since each application requires just a couple of drops, a single bottle will last you for a long time.
- It is not heavily fragrant, which is great for people with sensitive skin.
- Can be used on cuticles to moisturize them.
- Its oil-based formulation may cause people with oily skin to break out.
- A bit expensive.
I started using Bio-Oil when I turned 20 when nothing seemed to be working on my skin. I had extremely dry skin and no amount of moisturizing seemed to help my parched skin. Add to that, the cellulite on my thighs had started to bother me.
After trying a whole bunch of creams and home remedies, I had just about given up when I was introduced to Bio-Oil. It is indeed a miracle product! I was never a fan of using heavy products on my skin, and I was pleasantly surprised when I saw how easily this got absorbed into my skin, without leaving behind that dreadful, greasy residue. For an oil, this product is a nice and light formulation that feels weightless on the skin.
The biggest fear I had was that the oil would cause me to break out because I have very sensitive skin, but thankfully that did not happen. On the other hand, my skin felt soft, hydrated, clearer, and so much more even. After 3 months of usage, my stretch marks and cellulite faded significantly. It also worked wonders on my dark spots and dark circles. Now, my skin is healthy and hydrated to the point that it has a gorgeous glow.
The only drawback I felt was its price, but considering the results it gives you and how long a bottle lasts, I think it is worth every penny you spend on it.
Rs. 395 for 60 ml
Do I Recommend Bio-Oil?
Absolutely! Your skin will love you for pampering it with this wonderful product!
Bio-Oil has been all the rage in the Western market for a few years now, and I’m so glad that it has finally made its way into the Indian market. Too long we women have been plagued with stretch marks and scars. But no more, I say! Go grab a bottle of Bio-Oil today. You can thank me later.
Have you used Bio-Oil? If so, share your experience with us in the comments section below. We would love to hear from you!
- Nivea Extra Whitening Body Lotion Review
- Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion Review
- Olay Total Effects 7 in One Anti-Ageing Fairness Cream Review
Latest posts by Esha Saxena (see all)
- How To Apply Lipstick Perfectly - April 8, 2021
- Top 12 Oxblood Lipsticks Available In India - April 6, 2021
- Maybelline Color Show Nail Lacquer Review - April 5, 2021
- 25 Best Foundations For Dry Skin - March 31, 2021
- The 12 Best Eyebrow Trimmer For At-Home Grooming – 2021 - March 26, 2021