Is your blue hair fading to a shade that you don’t like? Or, do you want to try a different hair color? In both cases, bleaching the blue hair that you already have is the only option. Blue dye is a highly pigmented color that grabs tons of attention. It is a dream to sport this hair color, but it is also stubborn to remove. But, don’t worry! We are here to show you how to remove blue dye from your hair easily. In this article, we have shared 7 simple yet easy methods for bleaching blue hair. Read on!
How Do You Bleach Blue Hair Dye
1. Bleach Bath For Dye Removal
A bleach bath is the most effective way to remove blue dye from your hair. It is prepared by using bleach powder and shampoo. Bleach is a harsh chemical, and you need to take some extra measures while using it. Also, you will see better results if it is done by professionals. If you want to bleach your hair yourself, follow all the instructions carefully to avoid causing any damage to your hair.
How To Do
- Mix the bleach powder with 20 volume peroxide in a 1:1 ratio.
- Mix in the same amount of shampoo.
- Wet your hair and remove all the excess water with a towel.
- Apply the mixture from the tips to the roots.
- Cover your head with a shower cap and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with water.
- If you feel that your hair is too dry, add some extra moisture to it with a conditioner or a hot oil treatment.
|Tip: Make sure that you wear gloves when you handle the bleach, and do not leave the bleach on your hair for more than half an hour.|
2. Rinse Your Hair With Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
Anti-dandruff shampoos have clarifying properties that can easily strip away the hair color without causing any damage. If you mix it with baking soda, the combination works well to remove all color stains from your hair. Thus, it is a great way to speed up the removal of blue hair dye from your strands. It will take anywhere between 10 to 15 washes to fade all the color from the hair. Hence, use this mix each time you wash your mane to remove blue hair dye quickly.
How To Do
- Make a semi-thick paste with a half cup of baking soda with some amount of water.
- Wash your hair with an anti-dandruff shampoo, but leave the shampoo in your hair for 5 minutes before rinsing it out.
- Apply the baking soda paste to your head.
- Let it sit in your hair for at least 10 minutes.
- Rinse out the paste with lukewarm water.
3. Wash Your Blue Dyed Hair With White Vinegar
Washing your blue-dyed hair with a mix of white vinegar and warm water is the best natural method of removing hair color. Whiter vinegar is acidic and helps break down the hair dye which, in turn, removes the dye from your hair gradually until it fades away.
How To Do
- Prepare a mixture of white vinegar and water in equal parts.
- Saturate your hair with the mixture by pouring it over your head.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with lukewarm water and condition it with any deep conditioner.
|Tip: Don’t use apple cider vinegar in place of white vinegar because ACV is less acidic and not effective at removing dye from your hair.|
4. Wash Your Hair With Clarifying Shampoo
Washing your hair with any clarifying shampoo works best if the blue dye in your hair is a semi-permanent one. It will deeply cleanse your hair and remove stubborn product build-up from the scalp. Make sure to apply it over the entire head and leave it in for a few minutes to dissolve the dye. The number of washes it requires to remove the dye will depend on the concentration of blue color you applied. Also, apply a deep conditioner after rinsing your hair to avoid drying out your tresses.
|Note: It will take 10 to 15 washes to remove all the dye from your hair. Also, limit the use of heat styling tools in the meantime to prevent further damage.|
5. Using Dishwashing Soap Or Liquid
Dishwashing soaps or liquids contain alkaline compounds with cleansing properties that can remove dirt and debris. Dishwashing soap can strip off a lot of color from your hair.
How To Do
- Prepare a mixture with equal parts shampoo and dishwashing liquid.
- Apply the mixture to your wet hair and leave it on for at least 10 minutes to allow the mixture to work on the blue dye.
- Dishwashing liquids contain a high amount of sulfates that can cause your hair to break. So, rinse it out with lukewarm water and apply a conditioner that provides the essential moisture that your hair needs.
This mixture requires multiple applications to completely fade out the color from your hair.
6. Vitamin C Tablets For Blue Dye Removal
You can use vitamin C tablets or gel to prepare a mix that helps fade out blue dye from your hair. The citric acid in the vitamin C tablets/gel breaks the hair dye and makes it easy to come out from the hair. It works best on semi-permanent dyes and lightens the shade with each wash.
How To Do
- Prepare a paste of crushed vitamin C powder with 3 to 4 tablespoons of shampoo.
- Apply this paste on damp hair and cover it with a shower cap.
- Leave the paste on your hair for about 20 minutes and wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Apply conditioner to moisturize your hair.
This method will also take multiple applications to fully remove the blue dye from your hair.
7. Expose Your Hair To The Sun
The most natural way to remove blue dye from your hair is by exposing it to the sun. However, it is the slowest process with the lowest success rate. This process works best if you did not bleach your hair before dying it blue, and if you have dark locks. You will notice a significant color difference in color over a few days of sun exposure. Apply sunscreen while going out to avoid sunburns, and don’t cover your hair with a scarf or hat.
If you are someone who likes to experiment with different hair colors, these tips could come in handy to remove dye from your hair quickly. The easiest way to remove blue dye from your hair is a bleach bath. This is the fastest method to remove the dye from your hair. You will notice less damage and great results if it is done by a professional. You can also use clarifying shampoo, vitamin C tablets, and exposing your hair to the sun. Start using these methods to get damage-free and healthy hair!
- How To Bleach Hair At Home – Step By Step Guide With Pictures
- 20 Amazing Blue Black Hair Color Looks
- 7 Side Effects Of Hair Dyeing