“We understand the world through the stories or narratives we tell ourselves. Without any closure at the end of a relationship, we may keep wondering what it was about ourselves, the other person, or the situation that caused the relationship to end. When we do not have the ‘facts’ to answer these questions, our brains begin to make up information to fill in the missing gaps. This made-up information can cause significant distress and hinder us from entering into a new healthy relationship,” opines Sara Makin, licensed professional therapist, stressing the importance of a kind, respectful, and non-judgmental closure.
Although ending a relationship through a text or email is not recommended, if you have to do it anyway, there are some things you should include and avoid.
Makin suggests, “Avoid blaming the other person or their qualities and traits for the ending of the relationship and stick to what you know. List your reason for the breakup clearly. Only include your thoughts and feelings; do not predict what the other person may be thinking or feeling. Finally, show appreciation for the positive times that you spent together.”
If you struggle with words and need help composing an honest and clear breakup paragraph, scroll down!
In This Article
Breakup Paragraphs For Him
- The hurt of leaving you is unbearable, but being heartbroken is better than living a lie in the form of a relationship. I never thought our journey would ever end; I was so sure of you and this relationship. But as fate would have it, things changed for the worse. With a heavy heart, I am saying goodbye to this five-year-long relationship.
- While I was busy loving and enjoying our moments together, you were busy trying to mold me according to your whims and fancies. I wish you had not deceived me with your fake love and care. Maybe we could have saved our relationship. But now, all I can say is goodbye.
- It breaks my heart, but I need to do it. I have to break up with you not because I do not love you but because it is right. We cannot go on with these daily fights and misunderstandings and hurt each other. We have to accept that separating is the best decision for both of us, no matter how much it hurts today. I love you. Goodbye.
- It is such a sad reality that we failed to understand each other even after spending so much time together. Let us separate and see if things work out between us. It is the only solution I can see for now. Goodbye!
- Love is like a tide; it rises and falls. Unfortunately, my love for you is a tide that has fallen for good. I know it is hard to hear, but I owe it to you, to be honest. I hope you will move on like the mighty ocean waves with power and purpose. Good luck in the future.
- The time I spent with you was perfect, joyful, and exhilarating. But what we didn’t expect was that the storm of time would uproot all our happiness. Today, I am in such a fix in my life that I cannot promise a fulfilling future to you, my love. Hope we meet again in better circumstances. Till then, goodbye.
- It takes all the courage in the world to say goodbye to someone with whom you have so many memories to treasure. But I have concluded that breaking up is the best decision for us now. I pray to the Lord that you will have better health and a better life.
- Baby, I am sorry, but I cannot weave more lies and tell you that I still love you. We both know there is no love between us anymore. That said, I will always hold respect and admiration for you. I don’t blame you for our situation, but I blame my fate! My heart is shattered. My eyes weep as I say goodbye to you. May you have all the happiness in life that couldn’t give you!
- Everyone should have friends, and I have never discouraged you from enjoying a healthy social life. But it seems you cannot forget about your ex-boyfriend and still hang out with him. I am tired of always being your number two and cannot listen to your lies anymore. Good luck and have a very happy life.
- Bidding you farewell is like a nightmare coming to life. I will always cherish all the good times we had together. Take care, dear. You will always be a part of my heart, and I wish the best for you.
- Unfortunately, time and communication didn’t help me get rid of the mental image of you with someone else. More than the fact that you cheated on me, it hurts me that you didn’t come to me with your dissatisfaction. In some ways, I can understand – I don’t completely blame you. But I cannot accept that you chose not to be honest with me. At this point, I cannot move past this and trust you. I hope you will understand, but this is goodbye.
- All I ever hoped for was your love and trust. But when you cheated on me, all my dreams about our future came crashing down around me. Now, I need some time to gather the broken pieces of my heart, and I need to do it alone. I hope we will meet again and form a new friendship. But right now, I need to leave this relationship behind and move on.
- It is impossible to say farewell to someone who holds a special place in your heart. I don’t fully understand how we got here, but we are at a stage in life where there is no turning back. I feel powerless and cannot stop my tears from flowing. I never expected this moment to ever come between us. But here it is. I wish you well in your future. Goodbye.
- I understand things haven’t been exactly rosy between us lately. The dark clouds of mistrust and jealously have replaced the sunshine of your lovely smile. Trust me, I want to quash all these doubts, but I feel tied down by my self-respect. So, let us end it here. I hope you find someone you can trust and invest in openly.
- Hey, I want to let you know that I appreciate how good you have been to me all these months. However, I want to be solo right now, and being in a relationship isn’t my cup of tea. I am breaking up with you. Maybe I will wish I didn’t, maybe I will be happier, but it doesn’t matter. I need to move on.
- I loved you, and I know you loved me, too. However, things nose-dived when you couldn’t be honest with me and decided to cheat. There is nothing left to discuss or understand because the guy I thought I met would have treated me kindlier. It is the end for me; I want to break up.
- It is very painful for me to see that I am losing you bit by bit every day. I know you will never return, and I cannot wait any longer. So, it is in our best interest to end it right now. We don’t belong together. Thank you for being with me all this time. It is time to say goodbye.
- Today, I finally understood why they say love is not enough without communication and trust. I hope you reflect on why you chose to have an affair instead of working on our differences together. Please do not contact me; it will hurt too much. It is best if we both move on. Take care.
- I already feel I will regret this letter because you gave me such pleasure that no other man could ever give. Just by being you, you brought out the best in me. Your love has brought me to the tallest heights that could be expected. However, this is the end of the road for us.
- Our meetings no longer excite me. Our phone calls feel like a chore. I don’t mean to hurt you, but it just doesn’t feel right anymore. Sometimes feelings just fade, and we can do nothing about it. I wish you the happiest life. Goodbye.
- I tried hard to express my feeling for you, but you never seemed interested. It is painful and exhausting to be the only partner working for the relationship to succeed. I cannot take it anymore. Maybe we aren’t compatible. I want to end this and wish you the best in the future.
- I just need to get it off my chest; I am no longer in love with you. I don’t know if I ever was, but all the memories with you are beautiful. Maybe I just wanted to have what everyone has: a stable relationship, a house, and a dog. But now, my priorities have shifted. I am sorry for complicating things. Emotions are just dynamic.
- We had the best time when we were together. But it is hard to be in a relationship when there is no space to breathe, and you feel smothered. Right now, I need autonomy and independence in my life. So, we need to face the truth and walk away from each other’s life.
- I will never deny that I loved you, but things changed with time. I just want to be honest about my feelings so that both of us can move on. The love and affection are not the same as before between us. Thus, we should part ways peacefully. I am breaking up.
- Our breakup hurts me greatly, but I would rather heal a broken heart than suffer in a disappointing relationship. You promised to be better when I told you about your shortcomings several times. But now I realize they were all just hollow words. I cannot take it anymore; I want to end this relationship. Goodbye.
- There is nothing more painful than living in a phony relationship. All you get is disappointment and hurt. So, it is time to end all drama and be realistic. It is my goodbye message to you. Stay happy.
- Lately, all we do is fight, argue, and shout. So, there is no place left for love, understanding, and compassion. We both can take the blame for the eventual demise of our relationship. So, let us not stretch it further and give ourselves a break. Thank you for all the love and happy memories.
- All I want to say is we had a perfect relationship with just one fatal flaw. We have no future together. Let us be brave so that we can move on to better things. I want to end it now. Goodbye.
- You used to make me feel special during the initial phase of our relationship. I became crazy about you and never imagined my life without you. But now, with all your work stuff and social engagements, I feel ignored and taken for granted. I have to give myself the love I deserve. So, I am saying goodbye now to say hello to a new life without you.
- My feelings changed, and I am so sorry for that. There is no other man involved here; there is just a change in the way I look at you. I know you deserve more than I can give you. Please forgive me and goodbye.
You should honor how wonderful things once were and then let your ex know how you feel at this moment. Explain how things have fallen apart in the breakup paragraph. Remember, it is not about blaming them but helping them understand what happened.
Breakup Paragraphs For Her
- I don’t deny that I still love you. But you have corrupted my trust with your lies. I wish you heard my heart’s silent cries. We were a perfect couple — so carefree and happy. It is a pity you just couldn’t see the beauty of our love. Goodbye.
- Love didn’t vanish from our relationship in a single day. It was a consistent and gradual decline that we failed to realize. I loved you, but not anymore. So, goodbye and live happily.
- We know the feeling is mutual but do not have the formal chance to seal the breakup. I have been thinking about parting ways since our last meeting. Finally, I have the guts to say it to you. I want to move on with my life without you. Let us call it quits.
- There is no hope for our relationship. We have lost our spark, and it is time to bid farewell to each other. Good luck with your life.
- Despite working on bridging our misunderstanding for months, I cannot feel things getting any better. So, it is best not to remain linked with each other anymore. You have been nice to me, and I will respect you always.
- Both of us can feel the lack of passion and excitement. And life is too short not to experience the best and most thrilling connections. I don’t blame you for anything. I hope you will understand my point: goodbye and good luck.
- I hope you will forgive me for all the wrongs I have done to you. All my insecurities and tantrums came from a place of love. I have always had a fear of being abandoned and ignored. For the sake of our sanity, let us break up and not get involved with each other. Goodbye!
- My heart is scared because I have realized we cannot be together. I may never discover love as real as ours, and I am unsure if I will even try. If you cannot take me with you, I hope you take a piece of my love, care, and respect with you forever. We will always be together in spirit.
- I respect you for your confidence and self-assuredness. You are always calm, and I look at you with awe. I hope you take my decision to break up with you in stride and do the right thing. You are such a lovely and good guy. I wish you the best.
- Instead of coming to me and sorting things out, you asked your friends for advice. While I understand your actions in a way, I am not sure I can accept being your second choice all the time. I will never be able to feel that level of intimacy with you. So, we should part ways.
- It was easy for you, not me. My heart aches to know that we could not understand each other’s wishes and desires even after so much time together. We should isolate for some time and see if things work out between us. I want a break from you and this relationship. Goodbye!
- I still have feelings for you, but they have diluted over time. I also think they will get weaker with time until they vanish completely. I didn’t want to hide this from you because I still care about you. I will always be here for you when you need me, just not as a girlfriend. Goodbye.
- Every day we meet many people: some are just bystanders, while some join our caravan. No matter how long these people stay with us, the truth is they eventually have to leave. I am really happy you were my companion for this period, but now I feel it is time to leave and find my path alone. Thank you for everything.
- We promised to be honest with each other at every turn of our relationship. So today, I need to tell you something: I met someone, and I fell in love. I feel so guilty and blame myself for these feelings every day. I cannot lie to you — the kindest and the most understanding man I have ever met. I am sorry to leave you like this. Take care.
- I think you will agree that we just couldn’t make our relationship work despite trying our best. I don’t want to keep watering a dead plant, so I think we should end here peacefully. I am sorry, but this is goodbye.
- You know how much I have loved you over the past years, but now I cannot stay with you. Our endless, bitter fights make me stay up at night, and I cannot find peace in my life anymore. I hope you can forgive me one day. Goodbye.
- I feel this relationship is choking me now. There are a lot of things I want to do for myself, but it is impossible to find time for them with you around. So, I want to end this. I feel like I cannot deal with all this stress anymore. I am sorry, but goodbye.
- It is said that one person always loves a little bit more than the other in every relationship. I think I am that person. But I cannot keep giving my all and receive nothing. I love you, but I don’t want to live in this parasitic relationship anymore. It is sucking the life out of me and exhausting me to the core.
- Love is when one person understands you and forgives you even before you apologize. I wish we got it before it was too late. I will never regret meeting you and falling for you; we had a wonderful time. But, like all good things, our relationship has also reached its end. This is it for me.
- Sometimes it is nobody’s fault when people break up; it just happens. I hope you don’t take it personally, but we are not right for each other. I am sure there is someone better than me for you in this world. You just have to wait for the Universe to send them your way.
- When we first met, a fire of passion burnt inside me. With time, however, your actions and ignorance extinguished this fire. I think now is the time to say goodbye. It is not that I don’t love you, but I love myself more. I am afraid I cannot be with you. Goodbye.
- Saying goodbye to you is tough, but I know we are better off as friends than lovers. I don’t want to hurt you, but I also don’t want to be hurt. Someday, we will meet again. Goodbye.
- Have you ever felt like you are sinking in a bottomless pool of water? Sadly, I feel that every day. And I don’t think it is okay for anyone to go through such terrible experiences. So, I think we should end this relationship. It was fun for a while, but now I don’t feel comfortable around you. I am sorry, but this is goodbye.
- I feel unbearably heavy and helpless; breaking up is so hard. Babe, I still have feelings for you, and I always will, but our love was a mistake. We need to end this right now else we might fall apart completely.
- We have been trying to fix our relationship for so long, but I just cannot do it anymore. It is just not working. I am so tired of feeling helpless and desperate. Everything has its end, and ours is now. Goodbye.
- We have been together for a while, but I don’t feel the same way about you as when I met you. I don’t want to hurt you by making you think that we can make this work. I hope you will find someone who will love you the way you deserve.
- I was happy with you. But I need to concentrate on myself more right now. I cannot drop everything and forget about other people in my life. I am sorry, but I cannot live like this anymore. It is goodbye.
- I have been feeling unappreciated for the last few months. And I am tired of waiting for you to respect and value me. I know I deserve better, so I am walking away to find happiness. Goodbye.
- Baby, I know I said sorry after hurting you, and you said you forgave me. But I feel you will always be judging me and never love me the way you did before. So, it is better for us to part now. Even though my heart is breaking, I still think it is better this way. I love you and wish you find a perfect girl for you.
- Baby, I am tired of our constant fights. While I know part of it is my fault, discussions are a better way of solving disputes than fighting. But, despite ongoing initiatives from my end, these ugly disputes don’t end. It seems I am not the woman for you. So, let us agree for once to part ways amicably.
Breakups involve grief and pain. The parting words echo in your conscience long after a relationship has ended. So, choose to be kind and respectful while writing a breakup paragraph.
Sad Breakup Paragraphs
- Maybe we are not mature enough to handle this relationship. So, instead of dragging it and making it worse, let us call it off and move forward in life. Goodbye.
- While writing this message, I am in so much pain that you cannot even imagine. But it is time to face the truth. We don’t love each other anymore; we just fulfill each other’s needs. The time has come to say goodbye.
- We had wonderful chemistry, no doubt. We had our shares of joy and love. But, from the beginning, our perspectives were different. Over the year, it has created a big gap, and everything has fallen apart. Goodbye sweetheart.
- Yes, you can say I am a coward for breaking over text. The truth is, I cannot see your sad face. It is also a fact that I cannot live with you anymore. Goodbye.
- I will not hurt you: this was my commitment to you. I never anticipated that I will leave you amid storm all alone. I am sorry, but I have to go. Goodbye.
- Even when I decided to break up with you, my heart was not ready to send you this message. But, I did, because I think this is best for both of us. Goodbye.
- There was a time when the thought of separating from you used to scare me from within. But now there is no doubt that I want to end this relation.
I don’t feel you anymore. It has been great, but all things eventually end — even the best ones. I wish we could go back to the good old days, but it is not happening. Thank you, take care.
- I still love you; I do. But I love myself more. It is not working out, and I know you can see it as well. Our relationship can ruin my whole personality, and I don’t want that. It is goodbye.
- Your love used to be the only thing that felt real to me. But it was just an illusion. Sorry for wasting your time and making your life miserable. I wouldn’t do that if I could. I am leaving; it will be better for both of us.
- Of course, I will miss you. I cannot imagine my life without you in it, but I know that it is time for both of us to move on. Maybe someday we will meet again and start over again, but as for now, it is goodbye.
- We will ruin each other if we keep doing this. It is not going to work, baby. We were not meant for each other, and there’s nothing wrong with that. We both deserve better than endless fights.
- I feel extremely tired of this relationship. I know you feel it too. We need to take a break and think about what we want to do with our lives. Who knows what will happen next? It is goodbye for now.
- Twenty-four hours is not enough to explain to you how much I don’t want this to end. But I feel like I don’t have a choice. I cannot talk to you the way I could when we first met, and that’s driving me crazy. I am sorry, but it is time to say goodbye to each other.
- There is no easy way to say goodbye to someone you still love. But I don’t feel like our relationship has a future. It sounds terrible, but sometimes love is not enough to build a happy relationship. I wish you all the best in life.
- You can see through me, and probably you have already noticed that something has changed between us. It seems our love has gone. I don’t feel it anymore. Your eyes don’t shine as they did before. We must confess that we are both unhappy in this relationship. Then why shouldn’t we try to find our true love elsewhere?
- You know you found me in the darkest times of my life when I tried to get over my previous relationship. I know you tried your best to heal my wounds, but it still hurts. I am not sure if I will get better, but one thing I know for sure: you shouldn’t be with a man who still loves another woman. I am sorry.
- I don’t want you to be sad just because our relationship ended. Life goes on, and you will have a lot of amazing precious moments in your future. Everything is going to be okay.
- I am not afraid to lose people because, actually, I never lose them. The part of them stays with me, in my heart. I am sorry, darling, but we have to break up. I don’t think this is going to work.
- There is nothing worse than trying to revive an already dead relationship. We have to admit it and move on. Let us break up and walk our ways.
- You cannot blame me for letting us go now as you let go a long time ago. It is hard for me to look into your eyes and not feel butterflies in my stomach. I used to think that you were the love of my life, but now I know that I have to keep searching.
- It is not fair to pretend our relationship will work when I know in my heart my attention is elsewhere. You deserve someone who will love you, and only you, and I know you will find someone who will treat you right. Goodbye.
- I want you to know you deserve a person who will see you as I see you every day, as the most incredible human being alive and a jewel that should be cherished and protected to allow it to shine. I am sorry I cannot be that person for you.
- Thank you for teaching me to trust my instincts; you were the first to show me my truth. I don’t lie anymore, as you can probably tell from all of this.
- There may be billions of women in the world, but none will ever shine more brightly than you. You will lead my heart throughout my life like the North Star, no matter where I am. Your love will come to give me hope even when the night skies are packed with gloom.
- It is best for us to move forward and choose our preferred directions. Life was wonderful with you, and I am going to take time to get out. I am going to move out eventually. So, farewell, and take good care of yourself.
- My mind hates you so much that it may stop me from texting you. But my heart will never stop loving you. Be happy and take care.
- I will never be the same person as you knew, from this moment on. Now, I know how pain can transform people into something they are not.
- The things you have done for me will always earn my respect for you until my last breath. I truly have no harsh feelings for you. Have a great life. Goodbye.
- I consider myself lucky to have someone in life who loved me with a true heart. I will always be grateful to you for giving me a taste of true love.
- Time may heal my broken heart but it can never erase your memories from my head. Our paths are divided, but my love for you will remain the same!
- I never thought I would have to bid goodbye to you, but sometimes nightmares become a reality. I will always cherish all the good times we had together. Take care, dear.
- I always thought love could melt the pain away, no matter how painful it is. But I never thought pain could also melt love away, no matter how great it is.
- My love for you was so true. You know I would never forget you, but now my heart is crushed and broken in two. I should have never fallen in love with you.
- Some wounds never appear on the body, but they are way too deeper in the heart and more hurtful than anything that bleeds. This separation yields similar wounds. But, it is something that we should bear for our future.
- Just because a relationship ended doesn’t mean two people stopped loving each other. Sometimes, they just stopped hurting each other. It is what I think we should do, too.
- We don’t feel pain at the time of missing our dears. The pain starts when you live without them and with their presence in your mind.
- I wanted to love, and I honestly tried my best to love you as you love me. But I cannot lie to myself anymore. We cannot be together; it just doesn’t seem right. You are a wonderful person, and I know you will eventually find someone who will be just right for you.
- I have realized that there is more to me than loving you. I got so used to being your other half that I completely forgot I needed to be myself in the first place. I am sorry, but we cannot see each other anymore.
- I have tried countless times to set things straight, but every time I try to compromise and take one step forward, you move three steps back. Thus, I am sorry, but this is the end. Goodbye.
- I feel like I don’t want to kiss you back when you kiss me. When you hug me, I cannot wrap my arms around you with the same tenderness you have for me. When you say you love me, it is so hard for me to say I love you too. I am sorry, but I am not the one you need.
Amid heartbreak, there is often no answer to ease the grief and loss. “In times like these, the final moment of honesty is a way to honor the hard work and intimacy you have practiced up until now. Then, focus on saying it with kindness. Avoid blaming and shaming for what may have happened between you. And finally, share what is necessary; this is not a debate or negotiation, and you don’t need to defend your decision,” recommends Melissa Spaulding, a licensed clinical mental health counselor.
Breakups are never easy, no matter who makes the first call for the separation. However, there are manners to part ways that can, if not lessen the heartache, can avoid adding insult to the injury. To end things positively, you need to communicate the reason for the separation without resorting to blaming and shaming. While breaking up in person is recommended instead of over text, there may be situations where the former is not a valid option. In such cases, you can take inspiration from the breakup paragraphs shared in this post.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it OK to write a breakup letter?
While it’s not the preferred way, you can break up via a letter under certain circumstances:
• If seeing the person is too hard because they cheated on you.
• If your partner tends to get aggressive or violent.
• If you are in a long-distance relationship.
But, let them know why you chose to break up over a letter instead of a call or meeting them face to face.
Is it okay to break up over text?
There are certain circumstances in which breaking up over text is practical. If you are in a long-distance relationship or if your partner is abusive, you can break up via text. You can also choose this method if you know meeting them will put you in an on-again-off-again cycle.
Why is silence so powerful after a breakup?
If you keep communicating with an ex after breaking up, it may give them hope that there is a chance you both can get together again. Talking to your ex after breaking up may also not let either of you move on. Disconnect from them and maintain radio silence so they know exactly where you stand. You may also want to go silent on social media and with certain friends to give yourself time to heal from the breakup.
- 110 Love Hurts Quotes
- 101 End Of Relationship Quotes That Are Relatable
- Fake Love Quotes: Best Quotes On Fake Love
- 70 Cheating In Relationship Quotes To Help You Heal