The 500 calorie diet is a very low calorie diet (VLCD) that can help you lose weight rapidly. It is prescribed by doctors for obese patients who have a high BMI (over 30) and whose life is at risk due to the excess flab. Remember, this diet is not recommended for pregnant and lactating women and also for those who can lose weight by switching to a healthier lifestyle. With that in mind, let me tell you all about the 500 calorie diet. Swipe up.
What Is The 500 Calorie Diet Plan?
A 500 calorie diet is an extreme form of a very low-calorie diet. It includes meal replacement drinks, shakes, and bars for at least two meals per day. This restricted calorie consumption will help your body utilize the stored fuel source, i.e., fat. And, in turn, you will shed pounds quickly.
But make sure that you do it only if you have a very high BMI or your doctor has recommended it. Plus, this kind of intermittent fasting should be done under the supervision of your doctor or dietitian. So, what should your 500 calorie diet plan look like? Find out next.
The 500 Calorie Diet Plan For Weight Loss
A part of the 5:2 diet plan is where dieters consume 2000 calories for five days and then go on a 500 calorie diet for two days. For these two days, you must be on a low-carb diet. But what exactly should you eat? Scroll down.
Decaffeinated tea or skimmed milk without sugar or artificial sweetener
Small banana + ricotta cheese
|1 banana + 1 medium bowl|
Hard boiled egg + Wheat bread toast
Milk + cereal + dates
|1 cup, 4 tablespoons, 1 date|
Tip: If you feel hungry before lunch, you can drink a cup of green tea.
Vegetable soup made with cabbage, spinach, broccoli, or any leafy vegetable.
Grilled chicken or fish + grilled broccoli and carrot
|3 oz fish or chicken and ¼ cup veggiesl|
Lettuce wraps with fish/mushroom/chicken/tofut
|1 wrap with 2 oz fish/chicken/mushroom/tofu|
Salad with a light dressing
|1 medium bowl|
Blueberries and greek yogurt
Tip: Drink a glass of water 20 minutes before lunch to prevent yourself from overeating.
Chicken or mushroom clear soup
|1 medium bowl|
Broccoli and grilled turkey/tofu tossed in a little chili garlic oil
|1 medium bowl|
Egg white omelet with mushroom and spinach
|2 eggs, 6 mushrooms, ½ cup spinach|
Stir-fried veggies with red bell pepper, carrots, broccoli, tofu, and beans
|1 cup + 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar + chili flakes|
Tip: Drink water, and if you feel hungry, have a small cup of warm milk with a pinch of turmeric.
You can choose from these options and create an ideal, customized diet plan. Make sure you consult your doctor before starting this diet.
Now, there are foods that are low in calories but are harmful and do not aid weight loss – junk foods. Which is why you should have a clear idea of what to eat and avoid if you are on the 500 calorie diet. Let’s find out!
Foods To Eat On The 500-Calorie Diet
- Non-starchy vegetables like broccoli, carrot, beetroot, scallion, cabbage, lettuce, and parsnip. These are low in calories and loaded with nutrition. They will make you lose weight without putting your health in danger.
- Salads, sautéed, stir-fried, and blanched food. These minimize the disruption of valuable enzymes and phytonutrients.
- Full-fat milk and yogurt. Yes, full-fat versions are more nutritious and will help keep hunger away.
- Fruits and freshly pressed fruit juices. Make sure you don’t consume high GI foods like mangoes, pineapple, and grapes.
- Low-calorie salad dressing like olive oil, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Pre-cooked chicken and shrimps.
- Pre-washed veggies.
Now, let us see the list of foods that you must avoid on the 500 calorie diet.
Foods To Avoid On The 500-Calorie Diet
- Processed foods like sausages and salami.
- Canned veggies, fruits, etc.
- Energy drinks, soda, and bottled fruit juices.
- Dried fruits.
- Sugary foods like cake, pastry, pancake, and candies.
So, you get the idea, right? Eat clean and eat low-calorie. But how will it benefit you? Find out next.
The main benefit of the 500-calorie diet is that it aids rapid weight loss. A caloric deficit of 3500 calories can help you get rid of one pound of flab. If your normal diet contains about 2000 calories per day, the 500-calorie plan can create a deficit of about 1500 calories immediately! Plus, if you follow this for two days, you will shed weight. It is great for those who need to lose weight rapidly to prevent any health risks.
But what if you are on this diet even if you don’t really need to? Or what if you do it for a longer duration without being supervised by a doctor? Let’s find out what happens.
- Muscle Loss
Do you want to lose weight? Then, lose the fat, not muscle. If you are on a VLCD for a prolonged period, you will start losing muscle mass, which will give you a “slim-fat” look. This means you will look slim, but your skin will be loose and droopy.
- Nutritional Deficiency And Lesser Immunity
Since you will not be consuming too many calories, after a certain point, your body will run out of micronutrients that are essential for its proper functioning. Low-calorie diets cause nausea, fatigue, diarrhea, intolerance to cold, menstrual irregularities, and hair loss. Lack of fiber in the diet can also cause constipation. This decreases the efficiency of the immune system and makes your body vulnerable to various ailments.
- Metabolic Changes
When you lose muscle mass and important nutrients, your metabolism will slow down, thereby leading to weight gain instead of weight loss. It can lead to eating disorders. Eating so less will change your body functions, which can cause harm in the long run.
So, it is clear from this article that the 500-calorie diet is not for everyone. Losing weight may seem to be a problem that you must address at this very minute, but putting your health at risk is not worth it. If you need to lose weight for an occasion, you can check out the 1500 calorie diet, which is safer. But if your life is at risk and your doctor recommends, you can allow the 500-calorie diet to be your savior. Take care!
- The 800 Calorie Diet Plan For Weight Loss
- 1300 Calorie Diet For Weight Loss
- The GM Diet Plan: How To Lose Weight In Just 7 Days
Latest posts by Charushila Biswas (see all)
- Revealed! Miley Cyrus Diet And Exercise For A Healthy And Fit Body - December 31, 2019
- Intermittent Fasting For Weight Loss – How It Works And Benefits - December 24, 2019
- 15 Yummy Low-Carb Side Dishes To Make Your Diet Interesting - April 16, 2019
- Are You Losing Weight Due To Stress? Here’s What To Do - April 4, 2019
- 8 Best MCT Oils You Will Love When You Are On A Keto Diet - March 29, 2019