Camellia oil or tea seed oil has been a treasured Japanese secret for glowing skin and healthy hair. It has a non-greasy texture and is rich in antioxidants and fatty acids, which make it an excellent emollient for the hair. Camellia oil can help revitalize unruly and damaged hair. Learn everything about camellia oil in this article and ways to include it in your hair care routine.
Table Of Contents
What Is Camellia Oil?
Camellia, also known as tea seed oil or Tsubaki, is a flowering plant native to Japan. The plant belongs to the tea family, and the oil is extracted from its flowers. The use of camellia oil for skin and hair dates back to ancient ages. It is believed that geishas used the oil to maintain their ageless look. Japanese women also use camellia oil to maintain their hair health.
In the next section, we have explored the benefits of camellia oil. Let’s take a look.
Benefits Of Using Camellia Oil For Hair
1. Prevents Hair Damage
Camellia oil or tea seed oil contains fatty acids like oleic, linoleic, palmitic, and stearic acids. It also contains monounsaturated fatty acids (1). These fatty acids enhance hair shine, reduce friction, and minimize hair damage (2).
2. Minimizes The Side-Effects Of Dyeing
Camellia oil is a natural chemoprotective agent that helps prevent scalp and hair damage caused by dyeing (3).
3. Maintains Scalp Health
Pure camellia oil and shampoos containing camellia oil can help prevent scalp issues like atopic dermatitis (eczema) and seborrheic dermatitis (dandruff). A study found that both the oil and shampoos refreshed the scalp, minimized excess oil production, and improved scalp health (4). This may help prevent hair loss triggered by these scalp conditions.
4. Moisturizing and Antioxidant Effect
A study found that camellia oil had a moisturizing effect on pig skin, and the antioxidants in the oil worked as free radical scavengers (5). Free radicals are responsible for oxidative stress that may cause premature graying and alopecia (hair loss) (6). These properties of camellia oil may moisturize the scalp, nourish the follicles, and help prevent hair loss.
No doubt, Japanese women prefer camellia oil for maintaining their skin and hair. If you want to incorporate camellia oil in your hair care routine, here is how to do that.
How To Use Camellia Oil For Hair
- Apply a few drops of camellia oil to your scalp and hair.
- Spread it evenly and massage your scalp with your fingertips in circular motions for five minutes.
- Apply the oil across the hair length, especially to the tips.
- Leave it on overnight and wash the next with a mild shampoo and conditioner.
- Repeat the process at least 1-2 times a week.
You may also use hair products like shampoos, serums, and treatments containing camellia oil for hair benefits.
If you are looking for a lightweight, non-greasy, and nourishing oil for your hair, camellia oil is the right choice. It is rich in essential fatty acids and antioxidants that can maintain your scalp health, nourish the hair follicles, and keep your hair healthy. Go ahead and try this oil for lush and shiny hair.
Expert’s Answers for Readers Questions
How long does camellia oil last?
The shelf life of camellia oil is about 12-18 months.
Is camellia oil good for curly hair?
Yes, camellia oil is great for curly hair.
- 16 Best Argan Oil Shampoos To Try Out In 2020
- 15 Best Japanese Beauty Products
- 16 Best Drugstore Facial Toners
- 15 Best Drugstore Face Serums to Try Out in 2020
Latest posts by Ramona Sinha (see all)
- The Japanese Skin Care Routine: A Step-By-Step Guide - April 17, 2021
- Reasons Your Skin Gets Itchy At Night: Remedies And Prevention - April 15, 2021
- 16 Best Face Serums For Anti-Aging And Glowing Skin 2021 - April 12, 2021
- Transitioning To Natural Hair: 10 Easy Tips - April 11, 2021
- Hair Weaves: Everything You Need To Know - April 7, 2021