There are always some crazy hair hacks going viral on the internet. The latest on the block is using toothpaste to lighten the hair. While this is not a scientifically proven way, many beauty vloggers are going crazy over this weird hair-lightening hack. Scroll through this article to find the truth behind this claim and learn if toothpaste can bleach or lighten your hair.
Table Of Contents
Does Toothpaste Lighten Your Hair?
There is no definite answer to this. Toothpaste may (or may not) alter your hair color a bit, depending on the type and formula.
Many toothpaste brands claim to whiten your teeth as they contain hydrogen peroxide. This ingredient is also used as a hair lightening agent in bleaches and dyes. In salons, hair colorists use hydrogen peroxide solution to lighten or bleach the hair before coloring.
This is one reason why people put toothpaste on their hair strands to lighten or bleach them. Does that mean using any toothpaste with hydrogen peroxide can lighten the hair? Not necessarily.
First things first, toothpaste is not meant to be applied to the hair. The concentration of hydrogen peroxide required for teeth whitening is way too low than you need for bleaching. Hence, leaving toothpaste on your hair for long may slightly fade the hair color, but the results may not meet your expectations.
Moreover, it is not safe to apply toothpaste to the hair. Most toothpaste formulas contain baking soda and other antibacterial ingredients that may dry out the hair and cause breakage.
While applying toothpaste to the hair is messy, removing dry toothpaste from the hair is tough. In the next section, we discussed easy ways to remove toothpaste from your hair.
How To Remove Toothpaste From Your Hair
- Separate the hair section with dried toothpaste and clip it away from the rest of the hair.
- Use warm water to soften the dried toothpaste and comb the section gently with a wide-toothed comb to remove the product.
- Shampoo your hair. Leave it on for a few minutes to dissolve toothpaste residue.
- Wash off the shampoo and repeat 1-2 times if the hair feels sticky.
- Detangle your hair with a wide-toothed comb after washing.
Toothpaste with hydrogen peroxide may fade your hair color up to some extent, but the results depend on the formula. Applying toothpaste to the hair is messy and may also damage your hair. Moreover, other ingredients in the toothpaste formula may also irritate the scalp. It is better to use hair bleach or take professional help to lighten your hair.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Can toothpaste dye your hair blue?
No. Toothpaste cannot dye your hair blue.
Do toothpaste and baking soda lighten hair?
A few toothpaste formulas with hydrogen peroxide may lighten the hair a bit. However, baking soda does not lighten the hair.
Can toothpaste cause hair fall?
Some ingredients in the toothpaste formula may irritate the scalp (if applied) and cause inflammation and hair fall.
- 7 Best Ways To Naturally Whiten Teeth
- How To Use Baking Soda To Whiten Your Teeth Naturally – 6 Ways
- 10 Best Charcoal Toothpaste Of 2020 For Pearly White Teeth
- 15 Simple Ways To Get White Teeth Overnight
- 10 Best Teeth Whitening Gels
Latest posts by Ramona Sinha (see all)
- Abyssinian Oil For Hair: Benefits And How To Use It - May 2, 2021
- Does Metformin Cause Hair Loss? - May 2, 2021
- Does Drinking Spearmint Tea Work For Acne? - April 29, 2021
- Salicylic Acid: What Is It And How It May Minimize Acne - April 28, 2021
- Polyglutamic Acid: Is It the New Hydration Powerhouse? - April 28, 2021