Canola oil has gained prominence in recent years as a versatile and inexpensive cooking oil. Now, the oil has made its way to the top of the hair care essentials list of beauty bloggers worldwide. Research shows that canola oil is chock-full of healthy fats, proteins, and vitamins and good for your health (1). But is it good for the hair?
While there is no scientific evidence to support the hair benefits of topical canola oil, anecdotal evidence claims that it can keep the hair healthy, making it one of the most promoted oils today. This article takes a deep dive and presents a few benefits of canola oil for your hair. Scroll down to know more.
Table Of Contents
What Is Canola Oil?
Canola oil is derived from the canola seed, a genetic variation of the rapeseed developed by scientists in Canada. The name “canola” comes from “Canada” and “ola” (meaning oil). This vegetable oil is primarily used for cooking, and most of the crops are genetically modified to improve the health benefits of the oil. Canola oil is rich in (1):
- Saturated fat
- Monounsaturated fat
- Polyunsaturated fat
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin K
- Oleic acid (C18:1)
- Linoleic acid (C18:2)
- ALA (C18:3)
Canola oil has low levels of saturated fat (only 7%) and is considered one of the healthiest cooking oils available today. But does that mean it is safe to use on your hair? Let us find out.
Is Canola Oil Good For Your Hair?
While the evidence for this is purely anecdotal, canola oil is said to be incredibly moisturizing and comes with a host of hair health benefits. A few of them are as follows:
1. Reduces Inflammation
Anecdotal evidence suggests that the fats and acids in canola oil can soothe the skin and promote cell production. Thus, applying canola oil on your scalp may relieve itching and irritation and stimulate hair growth.
2. Hydrates The Hair And Prevents Water Loss
Beauty bloggers claim that canola oil is good for hair because of its moisturizing and nourishing properties. The oil coats the hair strands to lock in moisture. This prevents issues like frizzy hair, split ends, and dandruff.
3. Promotes Hair Growth
Canola oil contains vitamin E, an antioxidant that promotes hair growth. Consuming vitamin E minimizes oxidative stress on the scalp and promotes hair growth (2). Applying canola oil to your hair may rejuvenate your tresses and improve shine.
4. Reverses Hair Damage
Canola oil moisturizes and softens the hair strands. The antioxidants present in the ingredient can purify your hair and prevent dryness and UV damage.
Now that you know the benefits of canola oil for hair, here is how you can use it.
How To Apply Canola Oil On Hair
You can apply canola oil directly to the hair or mix it with other oils. Here are a few application methods you can try:
1. Heat Method
- Heat the canola oil and let it cool down a bit.
- Massage the scalp and hair with the warm canola oil for 10-15 minutes.
- Cover the hair with a towel or shower cap.
- After 30 minutes, wash out the canola oil with cold water or shampoo.
2. Coconut Oil And Canola Oil Hair Mask
Canola and coconut oils can help strengthen your locks. Coconut oil has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and moisturizing properties and soothes the skin (3).
To prepare a coconut oil and canola oil hair mask:
- Mix one cup each of coconut and canola oils.
- Gently massage your scalp with the oil blend.
- Leave the hair mask on for 30 minutes.
- Use a mild shampoo to wash the oil off.
- Repeat every week.
3. Canola And Almond Oils Pre-Shampoo Hair Mask
If you notice dark patches along your hairline, add almond oil to your canola oil hair mask. It prevents structural damage caused by UV radiation and also has emollient properties (4). This can help keep the hair moisturized and soft.
To use the almond and canola oils mask:
- Mix equal quantities of canola and almond oils.
- Section your hair and massage the scalp and hair with the oil mix.
- Leave it on for 1-2 hours.
- Rinse it off with a mild shampoo.
Summing It Up
Canola oil is rich in fats, vitamins, and other beneficial nutrients and good for your health. There is no scientific evidence regarding its hair care benefits, but anecdotal evidence suggests that canola oil can keep the scalp and hair moisturized and boost hair growth. It is affordable, versatile, and a safe alternative to other hair oils (unless you are allergic to it).
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Can canola oil help you grow and thicken your hair?
There is no scientific proof for this claim. However, anecdotal evidence suggests that canola oil may promote hair growth.
Can canola oil be left on your hair overnight?
Yes, you can leave it on your hair overnight.
Can you use canola oil on natural hair?
Yes! The hydrating properties and various fats and vitamins in canola oil revitalize your natural hair and help it grow.
How do you get canola oil out of your hair?
Shampoo the hair to wash off canola oil.
Is canola oil good for a hair massage?
Yes, canola oil is good for hair massage.
- Evidence of health benefits of canola oil
- Effects of Tocotrienol Supplementation on Hair Growth in Human Volunteers
- In vitro anti-inflammatory and skin protective properties of Virgin coconut oil
- Anti-Inflammatory and Skin Barrier Repair Effects of Topical Application of Some Plant Oils
Latest posts by Ramona Sinha (see all)
- Aloe Vera Hair Mask Recipes For Long And Healthy Hair - January 22, 2021
- How To Get Rid Of Fairy Knots In Natural Hair - January 22, 2021
- Salicylic Acid Shampoo – Benefits, How To Use, And Warnings - January 21, 2021
- CBD Oil For Hair Loss: Does It Work? - January 18, 2021
- The 12 Different Types Of Shampoo: Which Type Is Right For You? - January 18, 2021