A cat’s eyes are enchanting, aren’t they?
That slender shape and outline – there’s something about those feline eyes! The cat eye liner look has been quite a rage in the makeup world for a long time now. From Cleopatra to Bollywood actresses, cat eyes have been flaunted by all women who are at the top of their fashion game. This look is here to stay, so it’s best to try and perfect it right now. It’s never too late to begin!
Before we dive into the cat eye makeup tutorial, these are the things you will need.
What You Will Need
What To Do Before Going To Do Cat Eye Makeup?
There are a few things you must Take care of before you start on your makeup. Pay heed to the steps below, it’s important!
Step 1: Prep The Eye
The very first step is to create a good base for the cat eye. Make sure to thoroughly cleanse, tone and moisturize. If you have redness around the eyes, dark circles or puffiness, use an eye serum or an eye cream. These do wonders! To make sure that the makeup sits well, apply a primer.
Step 2: Pick An Eyeliner
Now that you’ve got the base done, it’s time to pick out a product that works for you. You can use a liquid liner that comes in a tiny vial bottle with a thin brush applicator or a felt tip pen. You can also use a gel-based eyeliner that comes in a pot. You will have to use an angled brush or eyeliner brush for this. For the sake of simplicity, let’s use a felt tip eyeliner. This is convenient, and easy to use, if you’re a beginner. I love using They’re Real!Push Up Eyeliner by Benefit. It’s a gel-based eyeliner that comes in a pen form. The applicator is the best part since it is angled.
Now, without further ado, let’s get started with the tutorial!
How To Do Cat Eye Makeup – Tutorial
Step 1: Line The Upper Lash Line
Line the upper lashline in slow strokes. Start off with small strokes, since you don’t want to rush too quickly and mess it up. If you make small strokes, you can gradually increase the thickness as per your requirement.
Step 2: Find The Right Angle
This is crucial! Follow the natural shape of your eyes to guide you as to where your flick would go. Imagine that your lower lash line is extended. This should be the angle that you create a flick. You can use an eyeshadow and an angled brush to roughly map out the shape.
Step 3: Create The Flick
Once you have the angle figured out, use dotted motions with your eyeliner to create a flick. Using small dots will help you figure out what the flick’s final shape would be. When you are satisfied with this, join the dots and fill it in to connect to the line you’ve drawn above your lashline.
Step 4: Clean Up
If the shape is a little wonky, you can always use a cotton swab or concealer to correct it. Voila! One perfect cat eye, ready to see the world!
Play With Your Cat Eye!
Feeling a little bold? Make the line above the lashes thick. A rounded and thicker look will make your eyes appear bigger. If you’re looking to elongate the shape of your eye, then create a thin line. A thinner cat eye will make give the illusion of longer eyes.
You can also play around with the length of the flick, but not too much. If you want to keep it simple, you can create a tiny flick. I call this a kitten eye (haha, get it?). When you want to go for the dramatic look, you can afford to make it a little longer. Avoid both extremes as it can look out of place.
Another thing to consider is, what kind of shape you’re looking for. A straight sharp flick will give you an edgy look. Go for a curved flick and you will have a very graceful aura.
Different Types of Cat Eye Makeup Looks
The classic cat eye is great, but you can also play around with it once you are comfortable with it.
Take a look at the different styles you can opt for:
1. Smokey Cat Eye:
Who doesn’t love a good smokey? They are always trending. I love my fair share of black liners so this is one of my favorites. What’s more, it’s really simple to create!
- Step 1: Create the cat eye with a pencil that can be smudged.
- Step 2: Use a smudger or brush to smudge it out and create a soft look while keeping the shape of the flick.
- Step 3: Apply the pencil liner to your lower lash line as well and smudge.
- Step 4: Use a concealer under the flick to make it stand out more. That’s all!
Add a little something extra. Go the long mile and apply some eyeshadow.
- Step 1: Apply some eyeshadow and blend well.
- Step 2: Create the cat eye. It’s as easy as that!
3. Bright Semi Smokey:
If you want to keep the cat eye black, but want to play around with the colors, this one is for you.
- Step 1: Create the cat eye like you normally would.
- Step 2: Use a fun bright color of your choice. Something like bright blue!
- Step 3: Run it across your bottom lashline for a smokey effect. There you have it!
4. Glitter Cat Eye
Pop some glitter under the eyes to make it stand out.
- Step 1: Create a cat eye.
- Step 2: Create a smokey effect by using brown eyeshadow near the lower lashline to create a base.
- Step 3: Choose a glitter liner. If you don’t have one, you can also use glitter pigment and apply it with a very fine brush.
- Step 4: Apply under the eyelashes to create a bright and sparkly look.
These looks are extremely easy and super fun to create. Now that you know all that there is about how to master the cat eye, take a look at these tips on how to further perfect it.
Tips To Be Followed While Applying Cat Eye Makeup
- Do not pull the skin near you browbone while creating the flick. This is a huge no no! You will end up completely messing up the shape.
- Instead, look down so that your canvas, aka your skin, is smooth to work on.
- Invest in a makeup mirror. It will help you in perfecting those small details.
- Try and use a vanity or a dressing table while applying the eyeliner. This will make it easier to hold your body in a good position. You can rest your elbow on the table, which will give you a steady hand and a smoother outcome.
I look forward to the next time I can go all out on my makeup because I personally just love cat eyes and amplifying them with colors! Well then, what are you waiting for? You know you’re excited to try and test them all out. Let us know how it turned out in the comments box below.
- Top 10 Smokey Eye Makeup Tutorials
- How To Make Hazel Eyes Pop?
- How To Use Patanjali Kajal?
- How To Apply Black Eye Makeup?
- Lakme Instaliner Eyeliner User Reviews