Chymoral Forte is prescribed for treating body inflammation and pain. Its major constituent is chymotrypsin, which is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Some research states the medication’s use in treating hemorrhoids (1).
There are other possible uses of the medication. Some of these include the use of chymotrypsin by itself. In this article, we explore more about Chymoral Forte and how you can use it the right way.
In This Article
What Are The Uses Of Chymoral Forte?
Chymoral Forte contains trypsin and chymotrypsin, two enzymes that have anti-inflammatory properties. The medication may help in the treatment of piles and other forms of inflammation and pain. Chymotrypsin also can find use in cataract surgeries and post-surgery recovery.
1. May Help Treat Piles
An Indian study showed that using trypsin and chymotrypsin could help heal inflamed hemorrhoids.
Chymoral Forte tablets, which contain these two enzymes, were powdered and mixed with an anti-inflammatory ointment. This mixture, when applied to the inflamed pile mass in patients, showed a significant improvement in their condition (1). The mixture could also reduce perianal edema and tenderness (1).
2. May Aid Cataract Surgeries
There is some evidence that chymotrypsin, the major constituent of Chymoral Forte, may have a role to play in cataract surgeries.
3. May Help Relieve Pain
The enzyme chymotrypsin was found to show high bioavailability as an anti-inflammatory and anti-infective agent. It may help resolve signs of inflammation due to tissue injury and facilitate the repair process (3).
The enzyme was also found to demonstrate analgesic effects and reduce the pain associated with healing (3).
Treatment with chymotrypsin was also found to show improvement in knee sprains (3).
4. May Help Ease Swelling
Some research states that chymotrypsin may help ease swelling associated with various injuries, including those caused as a result of surgeries.
Ingestion of a Chymoral Forte tablet, four times a day, showed improvement in swelling, inflammation, and pain in patients with traumatic injuries from accidents, burns, and surgeries (3).
5. May Help Relieve Back Pain
The chymotrypsin in Chymoral Forte may have a beneficial effect on sciatica. Sciatica is a condition characterized by pain radiating from the lower back to the leg. In most cases, this is caused by intervertebral disc herniation, and this results in compression and inflammation of the spinal nerve root.
6. May Aid Bronchial Asthma Treatment
Some research states that oral chymotrypsin could be used as a mucolytic agent in the treatment of upper respiratory conditions (4). A mucolytic agent thins the mucus and relieves breathing difficulties.
The topical application of crystallized trypsin (another constituent of Chymoral Forte) was also found to liquefy sputum (4). This can help clear the respiratory passages.
Some research supports the use of chymotrypsin in the treatment of chronic bronchitis (5). In studies done on cats, chymotrypsin was found to reach the limits of the bronchial tree.
These are the ways Chymoral Forte can be useful to you. But how does the medication work?
How Does Chymoral Forte Work?
The most important components of Chymoral Forte are trypsin and chymotrypsin, which are proteolytic enzymes (enzymes that break proteins into amino acids).
These enzymes are extracted from porcine or bovine pancreas and possess powerful anti-inflammatory properties that help fight inflammation in the body (6).
How To Take Chymoral Forte Properly
You can take this medication only as per your doctor’s suggestion. The patients must start taking the tablets as soon as they experience pain and swelling. A few other things you should keep in mind are:
- The tablets are absorbed best when taken orally. Swallow them directly with water in one go.
- You can take the tablets with or without food, depending on what your doctor has advised.
- Take the tablets at evenly spaced intervals.
- The usual dosage includes taking one tablet twice to thrice a day. But the dosage depends on your health condition and a number of other factors. Hence, please consult your doctor.
Since Chymoral Forte is primarily used for fighting inflammation, let’s take a look at the other ways you can reduce inflammation in your body. A few simple lifestyle changes can go a long way.
What Are The Other Ways To Fight Inflammation?
- Include anti-inflammatory foods in your diet. These include tomatoes, fatty fish like salmon, almonds and walnuts, olive oil, green leafy veggies, fruits like blueberries and oranges, and whole grains.
- Eliminate foods that may cause inflammation. These include refined carbs like pastries and white breads, fried foods, sweetened beverages, and processed meat.
- Limit your alcohol consumption.
- Make exercise a part of your routine. Practice meditation and yoga. These practices fight stress, which is another contributing factor for inflammation.
Making these changes to your life can have better effects. Before we wrap up, you must also be aware of the side effects of Chymoral Forte.
What Side Effects May Chymoral Forte Have?
- Possible Issues During Pregnancy And Breastfeeding
There is less research available on the effects Chymoral Forte might have on your body if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Hence, avoid intake in both cases.
- Possible Allergies
Some research states that both trypsin and chymotrypsin may cause hives (urticaria) upon contact with skin. Symptoms include rashes and itching. However, more research is warranted (7).
In another report, exposure to chymotrypsin was found to produce a strong allergic reaction (8).
There are no known drug interactions with Chymoral Forte. However, do discuss it with your doctor.
Chymoral Forte could be a good treatment option for inflammation and pain. But be wary of the possible allergies it may cause. Also, if you are already on any other medication, do discuss with your doctor before taking Chymoral Forte.
Frequently Asked Questions
When to take Chymoral Forte?
Keep in mind to take it at the same time every day. The time of intake depends on your health condition and various other factors. Hence, it is important to consult your doctor.
Any substitutes for Chymoral Forte?
The tablet doesn’t have any alternatives that offer the same effects. Consult your doctor, though.
Where to buy Chymoral Forte?
You can buy Chymoral Forte at your nearest pharmacy after your doctor has prescribed it. We don’t recommend an online purchase.
- Use of enzyme and heparin paste in acute hemorrhoids, Romanian Journal of Gastroenterology, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- CHYMOTRYPSIN IN CATARACT SURGERY, National Center for Biotechnology Information, National Institutes of Health.
- The Role of Trypsin:Chymotrypsin in Tissue Repair, Advances in Therapy, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Effect Of Oral Alpha-Chymotrypsin On Sputum Viscosity, British Medical Journal.
- THE PHARMACOLOGY OF CHYMOTRYPSIN ADMINISTERED
BY INHALATION, British Journal of Pharmacology.
- Trypsin and Chymotrypsin, Wiley Online Library.
- Occupational Allergies to Trypsin and Chymotrypsin, Thieme Journals.
- ALLERGY TO CHYMOTRYPSIN, The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology.