Maintaining healthy hair is quite a task. It is a whole different level of struggle with curly hair as it traps more dirt, pollution, grease, and sweat. Thankfully, Mother Nature has a gift for you all gorgeous curly-haired women – coconut oil! From strengthening your hair to moisturizing and adding definition, coconut oil can do it all. This post tells you how to use coconut oil in different ways to get bouncy, voluminous, and beautiful curls. Read on!
In This Article
What Is Coconut Oil?
Coconut oil, as the name suggests, is obtained from coconuts. The white flesh of coconuts is dried in the sun and pressed to extract coconut oil rich in saturated and unsaturated fats. The oil oxidizes slowly and can be stored for about 6 months at 24o C without getting rancid. But what makes coconut oil so good for curly hair? Keep reading to find out.
Why Is Coconut Oil Good For Curly Hair?
- Detangles curly knots: Curly hair tends to get dirty, rough, and tangled easily. Such hair is also naturally weaker than straight hair. Applying lukewarm coconut oil adds a slip to the hair cuticles, making hair detangling easy and less painful.
- Moisturizes coarse, curly hair: The oil has excellent moisturizing properties thanks to its saturated and unsaturated fats. It hydrates curly hair and reduces frizz, dryness, and roughness. It adds shine and definition to hair.
- Provides deep conditioning: Coconut oil also conditions your hair deeply when you leave it in for 30 to 45 minutes. Washing the oil off afterward with a shampoo for curly hair will leave your hair feeling soft, shiny, and smooth.
- Improves hair tensile strength: Combing, styling, and detangling your hair may lead to breakage. Regularly applying warm coconut oil can help improve hair tensile strength. It also can reduce hair fall due to hair breakage.
- Reduces hair damage: Applying too many products, hair treatments, and inadequate hair care can damage your curls over time. Applying coconut oil to your hair can prevent this damage. Its hydrating properties help restore hair shine and smoothen its texture.
Using coconut oil on your curly hair is simple. You may choose one or more of the following 5 simple methods.
5 Ways To Use Coconut Oil For Curly Hair
1. Coconut Oil Mask
Massaging warm coconut oil over your curls once or twice a week can help. It costs less, and the process is quick.
Method: Take a tablespoon of coconut oil. Heat it for 2 to 3 seconds in the microwave. Let it cool down a little. Gently massage it over your hair and scalp. Leave it on for 30 to 45 minutes. Wash with shampoo. Apply a curly hair conditioner.
Note: You can also lightly apply coconut oil to wet hair to enhance your curls.
2. Coconut Oil And Almond Oil Mask
Coconut oil and almond oil work great for moisturizing coarse and dry hair.
Method: Mix 1 tablespoon of coconut oil with 1 tablespoon of almond oil. Section your hair and apply it from the roots to the tips. Tie your hair up in a bun and wait for 30 minutes before washing.
3. Coconut Oil And Lime Juice
Lime juice is great for treating dandruff. However, applying it directly to your scalp may cause irritation. Mixing it with coconut oil can help.
Method: Take 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and massage it over your scalp and hair strands. You may take a little extra coconut oil and massage it just on your scalp. Dip a cotton ball in the lime juice and dab it on your scalp lightly. Wash after 10 to 15 minutes.
Note: Do a patch test to see if you have a sensitive scalp. If yes, do not use lime juice.
4. Coconut Oil And Egg White
Egg white is loaded with albumin protein. It helps restore hair shine and smoothens texture without making the hair oily or dry. Moreover, the egg white alone does not smell as bad as the yolk.
Method: Use a yolk separator to separate the egg white from the yolk. Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to the egg white and mix (do not beat). Section your hair and apply the mixture to the roots and strands. Leave it in for 30 minutes before washing with a shampoo.
5. Coconut Oil And Fenugreek
Fenugreek helps reduce hair loss and boosts hair growth.
Method: Soak 1 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in 3 teaspoons of water overnight. Use the same water to make a paste of the seeds. Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to the paste and apply it to hair roots and strands. Wash with shampoo after 20 minutes.
To properly understand how good coconut oil is for curly hair, here are a few before-and-after pictures. Take a look.
Coconut Oil For Curly Hair – Before-And-After Pictures
Coconut oil helps reduce the tangles and adds definition to the curls. But how often should you use coconut oil? Keep reading to find out!
How Often Should You Use Coconut Oil For Curly Hair?
Apply coconut oil to your hair at least once a week. If you can squeeze some time out for any of the masks mentioned above, nothing like it. Massaging the scalp once or twice a week also helps improve blood circulation and strengthen the hair roots.
If your hair is naturally curly, you know how difficult it is to detangle hair or protect it from dirt. Coconut oil is the perfect solution to all your curly hair problems. Go ahead and get a bottle of pure coconut oil and flaunt your beautiful curls with a bright smile on your face!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can coconut oil reduce dandruff?
Coconut oil by itself cannot reduce dandruff. You may apply it as a protecting agent before applying lime or curd, which are known to help reduce dandruff.
Can coconut oil reduce frizz?
Yes, coconut oil can reduce frizz. The saturated and unsaturated fats in the oil help moisturize hair strands and keep your hair from becoming frizzy and dry.
Can coconut oil restore curls?
Coconut oil can help detangle your hair and add definition to your curls. However, applying too much of it can weigh your hair down and make your curls look wavy.
- 10 Best Coconut Oil-based Products For Everyday Hair Care
- Coconut Oil For Healthy And Shiny Hair
- The 10 Best Coconut Oils For Hair Growth – Top Picks Of 2020
- 10 Best Homemade Conditioners For Curly Hair