You are staring at the mirror and notice a few stray gray strands. Unfortunately, constantly coloring your grays is not healthy for your hair and may not be financially feasible for you. A popular traditional remedy is using coconut oil for gray hair. Coconut oil, treated like a magical elixir of youth, is said to have anti-aging properties that turn your white hair into the hair color you were born with! Sounds unbelievable?
Coconut oil has many nutrients that keep hair healthy, but can it stop your hair from becoming gray? Keep reading to know if there is any scientific evidence to these claims and how you can use coconut oil for your gray locks. Scroll down and put your curiosity to rest.
In This Article
Why Should Use Coconut Oil For Grey Hair?
As you age, the oxidative stress and free radicals in your body increase, and your bodys natural defense system get weaker (1). The level of melanin pigment which protects your skin and hair from harmful UV rays and free radicles also reduces (2). This results in graying hair or canities.
Coconut oil is a natural sunscreen with an SPF of 8 (3). This property helps in fighting oxidative stress. Hence, it is believed that coconut oil can help in delaying graying of hair. Anecdotal evidence also suggests that coconut oil promotes hair growth and helps reduce premature graying of hair. It is a natural alternative to chemical dyes that can damage your hair in the long run.
Coconut oil mixed with lemon juice is a common home remedy that is used to treat gray hair. Scroll down to learn more about its efficacy.
Does Coconut Oil And Lemon Juice Work For Gray Hair?
Yes, to some extent, because both coconut oil and lemon may help in delaying gray hair due to their anti-aging properties. Lemon is rich in antioxidants that fight free radicals and reduce oxidative stress (4). Hair graying is a biological process that is regulated by genetics (2). So, keep in mind that hair graying can only be delayed to some extent. This is not a miracle cure. It is just one of the natural remedies that can help you, especially if you are experiencing premature graying.
So, there is a chance that coconut oil along with lemon juice can help in reversing premature gray hair. Find out how in the next section.
How To Use Coconut Oil And Lemon Juice For Hair Growth
You Will Need
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 3 teaspoons of lemon juice
- Mix the coconut oil and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Apply this mixture to your hair and scalp. Ensure you coat the lengths of the hair, focusing more on the graying areas.
- Use a shower cap to cover your head. The heat trapped inside the cap will help in better penetration of the mixture.
- You can leave this mixture on for 45-60 minutes.
- Shampoo and condition your hair as usual.
- Repeat this remedy once every week for the best results.
Growing old is the most natural process of life. Embracing your body and hair as you age is a sign of self-love and confidence. However, there is nothing wrong with covering up those gray tresses. And rather than using hair dyes packed with chemicals that can harm your aging hair, opt for natural remedies that keep your tresses healthy and strong. And when it comes to hair, there is no better remedy than coconut oil. Coconut oil improves your overall hair health and may even darken those grays. But bear in mind that using coconut oil for gray hair may not work effectively. It will undoubtedly boost your hair quality and appearance, but it may not make your hair darker.
Note: Early graying can be a sign of an underlying disease and/or deficiency, so it is important to get yourself checked for it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does lemon juice and coconut oil lighten hair?
Lemon juice can react with the sun’s rays and have a lightening effect on hair. However, coconut oil does not have such an effect on hair.
Can I leave coconut oil and lemon juice in my hair overnight?
Yes. Coconut oil and lemon juice are safe to leave in your hair overnight.
- The aging process causes your hair to gray, but you can stop premature graying with home remedies like coconut oil.
- Coconut oil acts as a natural sunscreen that protects your mane from oxidative stress.
- Coconut oil mixed with lemon juice is a popular remedy for treating gray hair.
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- Oxidative Stress in Ageing of Hair
- Human hair pigmentation biological aspects
- In vitro sun protection factor determination of herbal oils used in cosmetics
- Antioxidant activity of Citrus fruits