People around the globe widely consume coconut water as it can help you fight many health issues and is extremely refreshing. What’s more? The benefits of coconut water for hair are aplenty. Drinking coconut water provides nourishment to your hair and helps with issues, such as itchy scalp, breakage, and dryness. Furthermore, it rejuvenates your health and stimulates hair growth. This article discusses the amazing benefits of coconut water for the hair and how you can include it in your hair care routine. Keep scrolling to know more.
What Is It?
A slightly sweet, clear liquid inside a fresh coconut.
What Are Its Benefits?
It nourishes your hair strands, treats dry and itchy scalp, stimulates hair growth, and prevents hair breakage.
Who Can Use It?
Anyone with hair issues and scalp infections.
Daily or once or twice a week based on your hair care regimen.
While it is safe and recommended for all hair types, always perform a patch test before using it to avoid allergic reactions.
In This Article
Coconut Water Benefits For The Hair
- Hydrates Your Hair: Coconut water deeply penetrates the hair shafts to keep your tresses hydrated without weighing them down. It nourishes dry strands, leaving them refreshed and appearing voluminous.
- Prevents Breakage: It keeps your scalp and hair hydrated, thus enhancing the elasticity of your strands to prevent breakage.
- Soothes Itchy, Dry, And Flaky Scalp: The nutrients and anti-inflammatory properties of coconut water can help soothe itching in the scalp.
- Reduces Dullness, Frizz, And Spilt Ends: Coconut water keeps your hair hydrated and manageable. This, in turn, reduces issues like frizz and split ends and makes your hair look softer and shinier.
- Reduces Dandruff: The hydrating and anti-inflammatory properties of coconut water keep the scalp hydrated and reduce dandruff.
Now that you know how good coconut water is for the hair, let’s explore the various ways we can use it.
Different Ways To Use Coconut Water For The Hair
1. Fresh Coconut Water On The Scalp
- 1/2 cup of fresh coconut water
- Massage your scalp with coconut water for about 5 minutes.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Repeat 2-3 times a week.
2. Coconut Water And Lemon Juice
Lemon can help maintain scalp health and reduce dandruff and scalp acne (1).
You Will Need
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- /2 cup of coconut water
- Mix the coconut water and lemon juice.
- Apply this solution to your hair and wait for 20 minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat twice a week.
3. Coconut Water And Apple Cider Vinegar
Anecdotal evidence suggests that apple cider vinegar helps maintain the pH level of your scalp and enhances the shine of your hair.
You Will Need
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of coconut water
- Mix the apple cider vinegar and coconut water.
- Apply this solution to your hair and leave it on for not more than 10 minutes.
- Wash with shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Do this once a week.
4. Coconut Water And Honey
Honey can help soothe itchy scalp, prevent dandruff, and keep your hair conditioned (2).
You Will Need
- cup of coconut water
- 4 tablespoons of honey
- Mix the honey with coconut water to form a thick mixture.
- Apply this concoction to your scalp and hair.
- Wrap your head with a hot towel to enable the mixture to penetrate deeper into your scalp.
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes before rinsing off.
- Do this once a week.
Read on to find out how long you should keep coconut water on your hair for the best results.
How Long Should You Leave Coconut Water On The Hair?
The duration to leave coconut water on your hair depends on the ingredient you are using with it. For strong substances, such as apple cider vinegar, do not exceed 10 minutes. If you use honey, aloe vera, or lemon juice with fresh coconut water, you can keep it on for about 20-30 minutes.
You can also prepare a coconut water hair spritz easily at home. Explore the recipe in the following section.
DIY Coconut Water Hairspray
You Will Need
- 1/4 cup of coconut water
- 2 teaspoons of aloe vera juice
- 2 teaspoons of jojoba oil
Mix all the ingredients and pour them into a spray bottle. Use this natural spray whenever your hair feels dull and dry. The solution should last for at least 3-4 days. Ensure to use only with fresh coconut water.
Infographic: Top 5 Benefits Of Coconut Water For Hair
The clear liquid found within a coconut is a powerhouse of essential nutrients. It is not only beneficial for your health, but it can also nourish and hydrate your hair. Check out the infographic below for more information.
Are you concerned about the beauty of your mane because of dandruff, split ends, and hair loss? If yes, you can incorporate coconut water into your daily routine. Coconut water is high in vitamins and minerals and may aid in treating dry, frizzy hair. Apart from that, it can aid in the growth of long, lustrous tresses and prevent split ends! Coconut water isn’t simply a refreshing drink; it also provides several hair-care benefits. Its regular usage might help repair damage and strengthen and hydrate your hair. Coconut water can be applied directly to your hair and scalp or combined with other helpful substances for improved benefits.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does coconut water thicken hair?
Yes, coconut water helps increase hair volume. A 5-10 minute hair and scalp massage with coconut water promotes blood circulation, strengthens hair follicles, prevents breakage, and promotes hair growth.
Can drinking water help with hair loss?
Yes, drinking water helps maintain the body’s hydration levels and overall hair health, reducing hair loss.
Is coconut a protein for hair?
No. Coconut has only moderate levels of protein in it. However, coconut oil can help prevent protein loss from hair, thus keeping it strong and healthy (3).
- Coconut water helps hydrate your hair, reduces dandruff, and prevents breakage.
- Massaging fresh coconut water on the scalp may stimulate hair growth.
- Applying lemon juice with coconut water is an effective way to reduce dandruff.
Coconut water is a natural wonder for hair! Watch this video to learn about its amazing benefits and how it can help your hair look and feel healthier.
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- Ethnopharmacological survey of home remedies used for treatment of hair and scalp and their methods of preparation in the West Bank-Palestine
- Honey in dermatology and skin care: a review
- Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage