If you are fascinated by tattoos and cannot wait to get yourself inked, look at the lion tattoo designs we have listed here. Owing to the cultural and religious significance the animal lion carries, these tattoos are pretty popular.
Lion, the king of the jungle, is also the king of animal tattoos. In astrology, this animal is depicted as the sign of Leo, and in Greek mythology, the lion is shown as Manticore. Moreover, Romans consider the animal as a representation of love. Also, for Egyptians, the lion stands as a sign of balance, and for the Chinese, the animal symbolizes protection and good luck.
What is more? Christianity considers the lion to be a representation of their faith. In the Islamic culture, the animal and sword symbolize power. And Hindus believe the animal to be a sacred animal that carries the Goddess Durga. This animal is also considered the sun god. Therefore, considering the animal’s immense significance among all, lion tattoo designs are much loved by many.
These tattoos include a wide range of patterns and shades that genuinely depict the most authentic identity of the animal. As the lion signifies bravery, knowledge, bravery, power, strength, change, stability, family, and faith, lion tattoos make the best form of art.
So, if you, too, are excited to get a lion tattoo, scroll down and check out our list below. Let’s get started!
1. Lion Head Tattoo
This lion head tattoo in deep blue and purple hues is an eye-catcher. The eyes, nose, and mouth of the lion are distinctly bordered in black and filled in with cool-toned hues in a watercolor effect.
- Preferable Ink Color: This beautiful design looks best in dark cool-toned colors – like blue and violet – that highlight the deep significance of this tattoo.
- Where: This is best suited for the center of your upper back.
- Size: This design fits an area of 10 cm2. It is best to keep it neither too small nor too large to flaunt the colors the right way.
- Skin Tone: The dark colors used in this tattoo look great on ivory to chestnut skin tones.
2. Lion Back Tattoo
This stunning tattoo of a lion wearing a crown is a mark of grandeur. The realistic rendering and intense shading make this tattoo an alluring piece of art.
- Preferable Ink Color: This tattoo is done with black outlines and shading. The eyes and gems on the crown are done in an icy blue color to add charm to the tattoo.
- Where: The symmetric construction of this tattoo makes it best suited for the upper back.
- Size: This crowned lion tattoo covers an area of 15cm2 from the base of your neck until the center of your back.
- Skin Tone: The exclusively black palette of this tattoo makes it ideal for porcelain and ivory skin tones.
3. Lion Arm Tattoo
This beautiful line design of a lion with adequate highlight work is an attractive piece of work. The crown on the lion’s head along with the roses make it even more appealing.
- Preferable Ink Color: This tattoo has a black ink border along with pink shading to give it a highlighted effect.
- Where: This design looks best on your outer arm.
- Size: This tattoo covers an area of 10cm2 from your bicep to the center of your outer arm.
- Skin Tone: This tattoo is best suited for skin tones ranging from porcelain to ivory.
4. 3D Leo Lion Arm Tattoo
Put a seasoned tattoo artist to the test with this hyper-realistic tattoo design of a fierce lion in action. The details on the canines and eyes make it look almost three-dimensional. The stopwatch below the lion symbolizes the value of time.
- Preferable Ink Color: This realistic tattoo looks best when done with shades of black and dark brown. The details are filled in with a coffee brown shade to give it a sepia-tinted look.
- Where: This tattoo fits on the outer calf perfectly, making it easy to flaunt when you wear shorts.
- Size: Get this tattoo done from your ankle to your knee.
- Skin Tone: The elaborate shade work makes it ideal for skin complexions ranging from ivory to almond tones.
5. Modern Lion Tattoo
This design is the perfect mixture of traditional and modern art. The layout features a shaded lion in the outline of a triangle. The line accents in the background.
- Preferable Ink Color: This tattoo uses black borders with gray filling. The highlights are done in white ink to give it a three-dimensional look.
- Where: The geometric design makes it perfect for your forearm.
- Size: The tattoo covers an area of 10 cm2 to keep the detailing of the tattoo intact.
- Skin Tone: The dark, contrasting design makes it best suited for beige skin complexion.
6. Simple Lion Tattoo
If you like your tattoos simple and fun, this line tattoo is the perfect choice for you. These sketchy lines of a half lion face with a determined gaze will look great on your arm.
- Preferable Ink Color: This design is in monochrome black with a super fine needle.
- Where: This half-lion face layout will look the best on your forearm where it is visible to all.
- Size: The size of this tattoo can be altered according to your preference, but it looks best when done on an area of 7cm2.
- Skin Tone: It suits skin complexions ranging from ivory to almond.
7. Inner Forearm Lion Tattoo
This bold shaded design of a lion head with an antique design in the background is the ideal tattoo for your forearm.
- Preferable Ink Color: This design is done with dark shades of black and extensive highlights.
- Where: Get this tattoo done on your forearm to flaunt it to your heart’s content.
- Size: This tattoo stretches from your elbow until your wrist and encircles the arm completely.
- Skin Tone: This tattoo will create a stunning contrast on skin tones ranging from beige to almond.
8. Iron Lion Tattoo Sleeve
If you are on the hunt for a meaningful lion tattoo that covers your arm in a feminine way, this elegant lioness and cub tattoo with a dreamcatcher in the background is perfect for you.
- Preferable Ink Color: The tattoo is based entirely on black ink with detailed shade and highlights with a dull gray.
- Where: This tattoo extends from your biceps until your forearm.
- Size: This sleeve tattoo covers the entire arm. The design on the outer arm is more extensive than the forearm.
- Skin Tone: This shaded design is ideal for complexions ranging from warm ivory to chestnut skin tones.
9. Tribal Lion Tattoo
This unique design of a lion in tribal headgear represents the chief of a tribe. Making the king of the jungle wear a tribal chief’s headgear is symbolic of its royal position. The rose at the base of the tattoo adds to its glamor.
- Preferable Ink Color: This design makes extensive use of black ink. The highlights are done using a subtle peach shade.
- Where: This tattoo looks best on your forearm.
- Size: This design stretches from the base of your elbow to your wrist.
- Skin Tone: Light skin tones, ranging from porcelain to beige, are great for sporting this tattoo.
10. Lion Wrist Tattoo
If you want to keep your tattoo small, this is the perfect design for you. The elegant shading and use of curved strokes make this tattoo even more appealing.
• Preferable Ink Color: This wrist tattoo is done in plain black ink with different sizes of needles to make it look even more authentic.
• Where: This small design is ideal for your wrist. It makes the tattoo easily visible and ready to flaunt.
• Size: The uniqueness of the tattoo lies in the small area it covers. It is best done on an area of 6 cm2.
• Skin Tone: This design is ideal for complexions ranging from beige to honey.
11. Lion Pride Tattoo
This marvelous piece of art will turn your skin into a live canvas. This beautiful rendering of a lion along with its pride is just the treat you want to give to your skin. A pride of lions symbolizes the love and care of a family.
- Preferable Ink Color: The monotone design with distinct shading makes it the perfect tattoo to be etched in pitch-black ink.
- Where: This tattoo design requires a large area for extensive shading and detailing. The upper back is best for this tattoo.
- Size: This design requires an area of no less than 20 cm.
- Skin Tone: This design is best suited for skin tones ranging from ivory to honey.
12. Chinese Lion Tattoo
The Chinese lion is depicted in its own unique way. The curled up mane and stout broad features set it apart from the regular depictions of the lion. The Chinese considered lion tattoos as a symbol of good luck and protection. The beautiful shading and intricate detailing make this tattoo a head-turner.
- Preferable Ink Color: This tattoo has a monotone base with a slight pink tinge to highlight its movement.
- Where: The distinct shape of the lion and background elements like the lotus, clouds, and waves make your bicep the perfect place to flaunt this tattoo.
- Size: This tattoo extends from your bicep until your elbow.
- Skin Tone: This tattoo looks best on skin tones ranging from porcelain to beige.
13. Lion Crown Tattoo
This monochrome tattoo of a lion with a crown and a rose is for anyone looking for that royal touch in their tattoo.
- Preferable Ink Color: This tattoo looks best with proper shade work and distinct outlines done in black.
- Where: The elongated design of this tattoo makes it best suited for your bicep.
- Size: This tattoo should ideally extend from your shoulder to the elbow.
- Skin Tone: This black and white traditional tattoo design is well suited for all skin tones from porcelain to espresso.
14. Lioness Tattoo
This abstract-lined tattoo of a lion along with beautiful mandala designs surrounding it has a unique feminine appeal.
- Preferable Ink Color: This design is best suited to be done in monochrome shades and soft gray shading to highlight the tonal changes.
- Where: The shape and angular element of the design make it best suited for the bicep or upper arm.
- Size: The full length of the tattoo should stretch from your bicep until your elbow.
- Skin Tone: The thin outline and light shading make this design suitable for light skin complexions like ivory, sand, porcelain, and beige.
15. Fierce Lion Tattoo
A roaring lion is a symbol of divine strength. This design is one-of-a-kind, and the unique design and color choice makes it an absolute head-turner. It is the perfect mixture of modern art and western tattooing style. The design features a roaring lion colored in rich cyan and orange hues. The geometric ripples in the background and the owl under the lion take this piece of body art to a whole new level.
- Preferable Ink Color: This tattoo is best done with black outlines and highlighted with orange and cyan.
- Where: The vertical dimension of this design requires an elongated body part. Hence, the side of your leg is the best option.
- Size: This design stretches from your thigh until your ankle, covering the entire length of your leg.
- Skin Tone: The beautiful color palette of this tattoo is best suited for wheatish to dusky skin tones.
16. Shoulder Lion Tattoo
This tattoo of Scar from The Lion King is the perfect tattoo for anyone who is obsessed with all things Disney. The visible construction lines of this tattoo add a distinctly unique charm to it.
- Preferable Ink Color: The light shading and delicate linework are best done in black and white.
- Where: This Scar tattoo looks best on the upper shoulder.
- Size: The size of this design is flexible. However, narrowing it down or stretching it out too much will disrupt the proportion of the sketch. It looks best etched on an area of 5 cm2.
- Skin Tone: This tattoo design with its light shade work suits pale to wheatish skin tones.
17. Lion Cub Tattoo
This realistic tattoo of a lion cub is beyond adorable. Its cute little eyes, soft fur, and round ears make it a must-have for all animal lovers.
- Preferable Ink Color: This design has a dark shade of black and light pink for highlights.
- Where: You can flaunt this design on your outer thigh.
- Size: The span of the tattoo is less than 10cm2.
- Skin Tone: The pink tinge used in this tattoo makes it ideal for ivory and porcelain skin tones.
18. Small Lion Tattoo
This portrait of a lion is a marvelous piece of art. The use of efficient shading using only monochrome shades adds to the beauty of this design.
- Preferable Ink Color: This tattoo has a base of simple black ink along with shades of gray. The eyes have a tinge of faded orange to give them a realistic look.
- Where: This small tattoo can easily fit on a number of places like your wrist, arm, and calf. However, it looks best on the forearm.
- Size: It easily fits in an area of 5 cm2.
- Skin Tone: The uniqueness of the tattoo lies in its ability to suit a wide range of skin tones, ranging from vanilla to mocha.
19. Geometric Lion Tattoo
This tattoo is an abstract lion face created out of triangles. Its bold outline makes it the perfect tattoo to display on your skin.
- Preferable Ink Color: The thick lines of this tattoo are best when done with jet black ink.
- Where: Though this simple, ingenious design will look good on most places on your body, getting it inked on your forearm is the best way to flaunt it.
- Size: This rudimentary design fits on a narrow area of 10cm2.
- Skin Tone: The distinct black outline makes it possible to get this design tattooed on every skin tone, ranging from very light to very dark.
20. Pencil Sketch Lion Tattoo
This tiny tattoo of a lion has just a few curved lines. It is a great example of artistic skill. If you like keeping your tattoos simple, this is the ideal design for you.
- Preferable Ink Color: Getting this tattoo done in jet black would be the ideal option to create a sharp contrast with your skin tone.
- Where: The small size makes of this tattoo makes it best suited for your wrist. You can also flaunt it on the back of your neck.
- Size: This tiny piece fits on an area of 5cm2.
- Skin Tone: This simple line tattoo is appropriate for all skin tones, ranging from porcelain to espresso.
21. Lion Tattoo On Side Rib
This elegant design of a lioness head surrounded with roses and leaves portrays feminine power along with delicate beauty.
- Preferable Ink Color: This tattoo looks best when done in monotone black and white shades.
- Where: The expanded design is well-suited for adorning the side of your ribs.
- Size: Since this tattoo requires lots of detailing, get it done on a large area like your abdomen.
- Skin Tone: This monotone design looks good on skin tones ranging from beige to almond.
22. Colorful Lion Tattoo
If you want splashes of color to make your tattoo look even more interesting, this is the perfect piece of art for you. The striking color variation in the background of the lion head makes it a unique piece of abstract art.
- Preferable Ink Color: The beauty of this tattoo lies in playing with bright colors and letting them overlap each other to form different shades.
- Where: This tattoo looks best on your outer arm.
- Size: This design covers the area from your bicep till your elbow.
- Skin Tone: The rich color palette of this tattoo makes it ideal for skin tones ranging from beige to almond.
23. Japanese Lion Tattoo
The Japanese lion stands for heroism, principles, and fairness. These morals were held in high regard by the Samurais. This is the perfect example of outstanding Japanese tattoo art.
- Preferable Ink Color: As per the Japanese tattoo tradition, this tattoo is done with monotone black and gray hues with distinct shading and highlighting work.
- Where: It is ideal for your bicep.
- Size: This expressive design covers the elongated area of your bicep and the width of the tattoo wraps around your arm.
- Skin Tone: This tattoo looks best on complexions ranging from honey to chestnut.
24. Princess Lioness Tattoo
This girly piece of art will help you let out the quirky, feminine princess in you. This beautiful design of a blue-eyed lioness with a diamond tiara looks absolutely fabulous.
- Preferable Ink Color: This tattoo is done in a plain black shade with white highlights on the tiara. The eyes have been colored in with icy blue to make them look majestic.
- Where: The elongated shape of the tattoo fits between your outer arm until your mid-forearm.
- Size: the tattoo covers an area of 10 cm x 8 cm, making it perfect for your arm.
- Skin Tone: This tattoo looks best on people with a slightly pink undertone.
25. Mandala Lion Tattoo
This unique mandala tattoo with the face of a lion will look perfect on your bicep. The dotted design with a magenta gem on the forehead of the lion gives it a majestic look.
- Preferable Ink Color: This tattoo has a black base with magenta used to fill in the oval gemstone on the forehead of the lion.
- Where: The elongated oval shape of the tattoo makes it best-suited for your outer arm.
- Size: This beautiful design stretches from your bicep until the base of your elbow, covering your entire outer arm.
- Skin Tone: This beautiful piece looks great on skin tones ranging from sand to chestnut.
26. Rasta Lion Tattoo
The Rastafarian flag culture features a lion with matted hair that represents Haile Selassie I, who was known as the Lion of Judah. It symbolizes righteousness, acceptance, brotherhood, and nobility.
- Preferable Ink Color: The tattoo is done with a black border and a touch of pink to highlight the tattoo.
- Where: This tattoo will look great on your upper thigh.
- Size: This majestic tattoo covers an area of 10 cm2.
- Skin Tone: This design looks best on skin tones ranging from beige to almond.
27. Tribal Lion Tattoo Designs
If you are a fan of tribal art, this tattoo is sure to impress you. This intricate design features the side profile of a lion. The tattoo is filled in with mandala art, which makes it look even more attractive.
- Preferable Ink Color: Get this incredibly detailed tattoo done in shades of black and gray.
- Where: This tattoo fits best on your inner arm.
- Size: The tattoo spreads horizontally from your bicep to your elbow.
- Skin Tone: The black palette of this tattoo makes it ideal for all skin tones.
28. Realistic Roaring Lion Tattoo
Get ready to flaunt this fierce tattoo of a roaring lion on your forearm. A roaring lion signifies the urge to be heard.
- Preferable Ink Color: This tattoo uses monochrome black ink throughout the design.
- Where: This delicate design fits the forearm perfectly.
- Size: It covers the area from your mid-forearm till your wrist.
- Skin Tone: The monotone design of this tattoo makes it ideal for skin tones ranging from ivory to beige.
29. Lion Thigh Tattoo
This audacious design with intense shading that shows the face and mane of a lion gives out a strong and valiant message.
- Preferable Ink Color: This tattoo is done with black ink and shaded highlights to give it a three-dimensional look.
- Where: Place this tattoo on your outer thigh to create a bold look.
- Size: The tattoo covers an area of 12 cm2 to fit perfectly on your thigh.
- Skin Tone: This tattoo looks best on darker skin tones.
30. Cool Lion Chest Tattoo
This delicate design of a roaring lion spread across the chest is will help you feel powerful. This tattoo of a lion is adorned with symmetrical antique designs in the background.
- Preferable Ink Color: The tattoo makes use of only black ink.
- Where: This piece of art is designed to be etched on the upper chest area, right under your shoulder bone.
- Size: The tattoo spreads out from the base of your chest until your shoulders.
- Skin Tone: This design is best suited for skin complexions ranging from porcelain to beige.
31. Lion Hand Tattoo
If you are a fan of Gothic art, this antique tattoo design of a lion head door handle is sure to win your heart. The dark palette of the tattoo along with the inverted triangle enhances the vintage beauty of the art.
- Preferable Ink Color: This tattoo is mainly done with black ink and white highlights.
- Where: The tattoo fits your forearm perfectly.
- Size: The triangle of the tattoo fits an area of 5 cm2.
- Skin Tone: The black ink creates a gorgeous contrast with skin tones ranging from warm ivory to beige.
32. Floral Lion Tattoo
Flowers help bring out the feminine goddess in you. Pairing them with a lion adds to the royalty of the design. This beautiful line tattoo of a lion surrounded by cherry blossoms and a blooming chrysanthemum at the bottom screams opulence.
- Preferable Ink Color: This tattoo looks best with a black outline and pink shading on the flowers.
- Where: This design looks best on your forearm, stretching from the elbow to the wrist.
- Size: The elongated design covers an area of 20 cm x 10 cm.
- Skin Tone: This design looks best on skin tones ranging from porcelain to warm beige.
33. Lion Tattoo For Women
The best way to add a feminine vibe to a tattoo is with floral elements. This sketch of a realistic lion above a blooming rose speaks of strength and beauty.
- Preferable Ink Color: This tattoo has a black base paired with pink shading.
- Where: This design fits on your forearm perfectly to create a cool feminine look.
- Size: The tattoo covers the entire forearm, from the elbow to the wrist.
- Skin Tone: This design looks best on wheatish complexions.
Getting a tattoo can be nerve-wracking. Therefore, it’s best to follow all safety precautions before and after getting it to make sure it heals quickly. Check out this article to find out how to prep your skin before getting a tattoo and some post-care maintenance tips.
Lion tattoos hold great significance across different cultures globally. Apart from being the King of the jungle, lions are considered a symbol of courage, good luck, family, faith, and power. If you want to get this majestic animal inked, look at some of the lion tattoo designs listed here. You can go for a fun and simple lion tattoo or go for something more colorful and intricate. Before you get a tattoo, make sure you keep the size, location, and ink color in mind. Go get yourself inked now!
Frequently Asked Questions
What do a lion and a rose tattoo mean?
While the lion symbolizes royalty, strength, bravery, and courage, a rose symbolizes passion, beauty, and femininity. A lion and rose tattoo represents a balance of gentleness, fierceness, and power.
What does a lion and tiger tattoo mean?
While a lion is considered the king of the jungle. Tigers are larger, faster, and more ferocious than lions and hunt independently. Lions have the lionesses hunt and step in only when their pride is overpowered – just like a King’s role in battle. A lion symbolizes strength and royalty, but the tiger symbolizes true raw power. Therefore, a lion and a tiger tattoo may represent royalty and true, independent power.