When it comes to hair care, several home remedies have garnered attention over the years. One of the latest trends is washing your hair with Dawn dish soap.
But, is there any merit to this fad? And, are there things you need to keep in mind when using Dawn dish soap on your hair? Keep reading to find out.
In This Article
Can You Wash Your Hair With Dawn Dish Soap?
The simple answer? Yes, but within reason!
Like every other dish soap out there, the primary purpose of this product is to clean utensils and remove grease from them. Keeping that in mind, this dish soap can technically be used to remove the oil and gunk from your hair, too.
But, although Dawn dish soap can be useful in removing scalp build-up, it is important to remember that the harshness of the product can damage your hair. Therefore, we suggest washing your hair with Dawn dish soap only as a last resort.
With this cautionary warning in place, let us move on to some of the benefits that come with using Dawn as a shampoo.
Benefits of Using Dawn Dish Soap for Hair
Even though frequent use of this product can damage your tresses, there is no denying the immediate benefits that come with using Dawn as shampoo. Here are some of them:
- Due to its strong formula, Dawn dish soap can be used to remove dandruff, grease, and oil from your hair that cannot be removed with normal shampoos.
- Shampooing with Dawn is a great option for those with protective styles as the soap helps deplete the extreme build-up present around the roots.
- Dawn dish soap also acts as a mild bleach and can, therefore, be used to remove or lighten hair dye on your hair.
Now that you know the benefits of washing your hair with Dawn, let us discuss the correct way to use this soap.
How Do You Use Dawn Dish Soap As A Shampoo?
To achieve the best results possible, we recommend washing your hair with Dawn dish soap by following the steps mentioned below:
- Measure out the amount of product needed based on your hair requirements. For example, if you want to remove any product build-up or oil from your hair, use a pea-sized portion of dish soap. Wash your hair with a larger amount of Dawn soap if you want to strip your hair color.
- Dilute the Dawn soap with an equal amount of water to avoid any negative reaction when washing your hair.
- Wet your hair and massage in the mixture until it starts to lather.
- Leave it on for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse out the soap from your hair completely.
- Apply some conditioner to your hair and leave it on for at least 10 minutes before washing it out. This is done to replenish the moisture lost from your strands.
- Blow-dry your hair and style it as preferred.
Pro Tip: While more research is required in this regard, it is said that adding a pinch of baking powder to the dish soap mixture can help wash out the color of your hair.
Washing your hair with dish soap is an on-going trend that has taken the hair care community by storm. While frequent use is not advised, washing your hair with this detergent has several benefits, which include ridding your hair of oil, dandruff, build-up, and color.
To get the best results and combat the product’s harshness, it is recommended that you dilute the soap with equal parts of water. Conditioning your hair later is also essential to replenish the moisture within the strands.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do I leave Dawn dish soap in my hair?
It is recommended that you leave dish soap in your hair for 15-20 minutes before washing it out.
What does dishwashing liquid do to your hair?
Dishwashing liquid removes all the oil, dandruff, and product build-up from the scalp while also lightening the color of your strands.
Is it okay to bathe with Dawn dish soap?
Yes, it is. However, do note that frequent use may cause your skin to dry out and get itchy.
Will washing your colored hair with Dawn dish soap fade it?
Yes, Dawn dish soap plays the role of a mild bleach and can, therefore, cause your color to fade.
How much will one wash with Dawn damage my hair?
One wash with Dawn will not damage your hair. That said, using this product frequently can cause your hair to dry out and start breaking.
- 13 Best Clarifying Shampoos To Cleanse Buildup
- How To Remove Hair Color With Baking Soda
- How To Remove Hairspray Residue
- 15 Best Castile Soaps Of 2020